ADVERTISEMENT

Covid is over

Monroe County has thrown in the towel. Lifting everything Monday. Of course, unvaccinated people are still supposed to mask up, but no one thinks they actually will if they don't have to.
Seven in every ten unmasked people we now encounter are unvaxxed. That is down from 100% but the sheer numbers are 10,000X

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1
Seven in every ten unmasked people we now encounter are unvaxxed. That is down from 100% but the sheer numbers are 10,000X

I've never understood the big pushback on mask wearing... It's done simply to help protect the other person..., by cutting down the viral load spewed into the air with every exhalation... Why someone wouldn't want to do that is completely baffling to me...

-And..., I'm just slightly left of Attila the Hun as far as being a "Progressive - [as in communist]...) goes...-

Gotta tell you..., I have a Really Bad Feeling about all this seemingly premature declaration of victory over COVID19...

With the Indian Variant already here..., along with God only knows what is coming over our completely porous borders daily (with our own freaking government sticking the southern border invaders on buses and shipping them to a city and town near you [paid for with your tax dollars]...) we shouldn't be at all surprised if we see another major outbreak sometime over the next 4 months...

I'm just not buying that only a 30% vaccination rate is enough to put us in the Safe Zone..., not with the influx of unvaccinated types carrying who knows what new variants flooding in on a daily basis...

Last edited:
I've never understood the big pushback on mask wearing... It's done simply to help protect the other person..., by cutting down the viral load spewed into the air with every exhalation... Why someone wouldn't want to do that is completely baffling to me...

-And..., I'm just slightly left of Attila the Hun as far as being a "Progressive - [as in communist]...) goes...-

Gotta tell you..., I have a Really Bad Feeling about all this seemingly premature declaration of victory over COVID19...

With the Indian Variant already here..., along with God only knows what is coming over our completely porous borders daily (with our own freaking government sticking the southern border invaders on buses and shipping them to a city and town near you [paid for with your tax dollars]...) we shouldn't be at all surprised if we see another major outbreak sometime over the next 4 months...

I'm just not buying that only a 30% vaccination rate is enough to put us in the Safe Zone..., not with the influx of unvaccinated types flooding in on a daily basis...
Mask wearing has been painted with the same brush as taking away all your guns, melting them down and making a statue of a kneeling NFL player to replace the Statue of Liberty in NYH.

They took yer jobs and now yer Constitutional breathy thingy.

Reactions: UncleMark
Mask wearing has been painted with the same brush as taking away all your guns, melting them down and making a statue of a kneeling NFL player to replace the Statue of Liberty in NYH.

That's where I differ than from my fellow conservatives... (and there's few worries about your 1st paragraph amongst true conservatives [see Leonidis's retort to the Persians at Thermopylae]...😉🇺🇸)...

Outdoors..., in most instances... you're relatively safe... Indoors..., little has changed, in my opinion... (not when 70% of those you're likely to encounter are Unvaccinated...).,,

That's where I differ than from my fellow conservatives... (and there's few worries about your 1st paragraph amongst true conservatives [see Leonidis's retort to the Persians at Thermopylae]...😉🇺🇸)...

Outdoors..., in most instances... you're relatively safe... Indoors..., little has changed, in my opinion... (not when 70% of those you're likely to encounter are Unvaccinated...).,,
My prediction is we’ll continue to see numbers improve and random Covid clusters for a while

If I'm fully vaccinated, why do I give a shit about how many others around me are?

If people choose not to get vaccinated at this point, that's their problem and they can face the consequences. Or stay locked at home, or whatever else...

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
If I'm fully vaccinated, why do I give a shit about how many others around me are?

If people choose not to get vaccinated at this point, that's their problem and they can face the consequences. Or stay locked at home, or whatever else...

A) you can still carry it and spread it to anyone you're near...

B) with the ever growing number of new variants there's a chance you're nowhere near as "safe" as you think you are...

C) not all vaccines are created equal (if you got the J&J one dose yours has 25% less efficacy than the other two... (and if you got a delayed 2nd shot of one of the other 2 who knows what the real efficacy numbers are... good luck to anyone believing that 40 days delayed is okay BS coming out of the CDC...).

People with kids under 12 probably still care.

B) with the ever growing number of new variants there's a chance you're nowhere near as "safe" as you think you are...

C) not all vaccines are created equal (if you got the J&J one dose yours has 25% less efficacy than the other two... (and if you got a delayed 2nd shot of one of the other 2 who knows what the real efficacy numbers are... good luck to anyone believing that 40 days delayed is okay BS coming out of the CDC...).
According to the CDC, you can't still spread it if you're vaccinated.

When there is one actual case of someone getting seriously ill post-vaccination, let me know. The point of these vaccines is to eliminate the risk of serious illness, not eliminate the virus in it's entirety. Your take on this would have us wearing masks and limiting indoor capacities for years..... maybe forever.

• Love
Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
According to the CDC, you can't still spread it if you're vaccinated.

I've given up on the CDC as a valid source of information... They've clearly gone full on "party apparatus"...

Everything I've read indicates that you can be an asymptomatic carrier even when you're fully vaccinated...

Reactions: DANC
After the CDC came out with their guidance yesterday, no one would be able to expect compliance with anything stronger than masks in nursing homes and other medical settings. Otherwise, it looks like it's back to wide open.
And, even though the original poster wishfully says, "Covid is over," it continues to surprise.

Why do you care if you're vaccinated?
If the vaccine protects me but Covid ravages the two-thirds of the US population that hasn't been vaccinated, then (1) more people will die, (2) the economy will continue to suck, (3) prices will rise and/or stay high, (4) unemployment will stay high, (5) supply chain problems are likely to get worse, (6) more tax money will be needed to address Covid-related problems, (7) less income tax money will come into the government because fewer are working and earning at the previous levels, (8) the government will keep being distracted by Covid instead of fixing other problems I want to be addressed and (9) I'm going to get stuck paying more, directly or indirectly, for Covid problems that would be significantly reduced if everyone would just get the damn vaccine.

Look, I know what you're trying to do... and I'm not falling for it.

The science is irrelevant if they're not getting compliance. Vaccinations are doing the job, deaths and hospitalizations are down and continue to decline, and people have been increasingly shrugging off the masking and distancing for some time. No sense in making things difficult for those who have no choice but to follow the rules when so many others aren't and the general population doesn't care any more.
It is intriguing to speculate how Covid would have progressed in the US had it not been politicized for the past 12-15 months.

Would more people have received vaccine and followed the health guidelines and local mandates?

If so, would there have been fewer deaths, fewer new cases and fewer hospitalizations?

Would the economy be better than it is now?

If the vaccine protects me but Covid ravages the two-thirds of the US population that hasn't been vaccinated, then (1) more people will die, (2) the economy will continue to suck, (3) prices will rise and/or stay high, (4) unemployment will stay high, (5) supply chain problems are likely to get worse, (6) more tax money will be needed to address Covid-related problems, (7) less income tax money will come into the government because fewer are working and earning at the previous levels, (8) the government will keep being distracted by Covid instead of fixing other problems I want to be addressed and (9) I'm going to get stuck paying more, directly or indirectly, for Covid problems that would be significantly reduced if everyone would just get the damn vaccine.

Last data I've seen indicates roughly 50% of adults have had at least 1 shot.

Masks became less of an issue in some circles when someone discovered he could sell them for $19.95 plus shipping.

front_1_96475b8a-1c70-419b-afc5-57bcbc7604b8_grande.jpg

Reactions: IU_Hickory
I've given up on the CDC as a valid source of information... They've clearly gone full on "party apparatus"...

Everything I've read indicates that you can be an asymptomatic carrier even when you're fully vaccinated...
I don't put much stock into the CDC, either.

I think I heard there have been no proven cases of asymptomatic spread from vaccinated people - not that it couldn't happen. But the odds have to be pretty low.

It is intriguing to speculate how Covid would have progressed in the US had it not been politicized for the past 12-15 months.

Would more people have received vaccine and followed the health guidelines and local mandates?

If so, would there have been fewer deaths, fewer new cases and fewer hospitalizations?

Would the economy be better than it is now?
It wouldn't have been politicized if the government hadn't shut down the economy and, instead, issued real advisories and recommendations, based on proven science. Instead we got mass hysteria spread by pseudo-science projections that didn't pan out.

• Haha
Reactions: outside shooter
It wouldn't have been politicized if the government hadn't shut down the economy and, instead, issued real advisories and recommendations, based on proven science. Instead we got mass hysteria spread by pseudo-science projections that didn't pan out.
Exactly.

Reactions: IU_Hickory

You can get infected and be an asymptomatic carrier even when you're fully vaccinated, sure. The vaccine is not a teflon shield to keep the virus out, but rather an AK-47 to attack the virus when it gets in.

So, if you are vaccinated and the virus gets in, but before your defenses overwhelm it,

1) your actual viral load stays very, very low, then it goes to zero
2) the rate of virus shedding is also very low, then it goes to zero
3) Before either goes to zero, there is definitely a CHANCE to pass on the virus. That chance is LOW (but not zero), but then it drops to zero.

Think of it in terms of infectivity rate, R-naught. This disease has an R-naught of maybe 2, meaning the average infected person infects 2 others. That's how you get a pandemic. Drop the R-naught below 1, and you end the pandemic. Vaccination doesn't make R-nauught = zero, but it makes R-naught is WELL below 1, and probably below 0.1, meaning, disease OBLITERATED.

Last edited:

The problem that exists is that nobody believes the "experts" because shit like this keeps coming out. They were not following science, the social distancing rules were arbitrary. The types of masks people were using are not super effective at stopping the spread. The disease did not spread easily outside...but keep that mask on. Get the shot but continue to do everything you have been doing so that the shot becomes pointless. Don't get together unless you are protesting racial injustice...then it is ok to have huge groups of people together.

People don't trust "the experts" because they also allowed their ideology to muddy the waters. So when you have the teachers unions writing guidelines for the CDC, well who the hell else got a seat at the table to drop their version of "science" on the public?

People don't trust our institutions anymore because our institutions have shown themselves to be unreliable, liars, self interested, power hungry, and hyperpartisan.

Edit to add: And worst of all, this is most likely a disease that was created in a lab in China, funded by people like Dr. Fauci and his department, after the research was limited in the U.S. because of exactly this type of concern. Creating frankenviruses in a lab can have some very chilling results if mistakes are made. Our government most likely funded our enemy in the creation of a frankenvirus that shut down the world for over a year, killed multitudes of people, and is now potentially mutating into even more freakish viruses.

The problem that exists is that nobody believes the "experts" because shit like this keeps coming out. They were not following science, the social distancing rules were arbitrary. The types of masks people were using are not super effective at stopping the spread. The disease did not spread easily outside...but keep that mask on. Get the shot but continue to do everything you have been doing so that the shot becomes pointless. Don't get together unless you are protesting racial injustice...then it is ok to have huge groups of people together.

People don't trust "the experts" because they also allowed their ideology to muddy the waters. So when you have the teachers unions writing guidelines for the CDC, well who the hell else got a seat at the table to drop their version of "science" on the public?

People don't trust our institutions anymore because our institutions have shown themselves to be unreliable, liars, self interested, power hungry, and hyperpartisan.

Edit to add: And worst of all, this is most likely a disease that was created in a lab in China, funded by people like Dr. Fauci and his department, after the research was limited in the U.S. because of exactly this type of concern. Creating frankenviruses in a lab can have some very chilling results if mistakes are made. Our government most likely funded our enemy in the creation of a frankenvirus that shut down the world for over a year, killed multitudes of people, and is now potentially mutating into even more freakish viruses.
Didn't OS or someone else provide proof that this wasn't a man-made "frankenvirus".

Didn't OS or someone else provide proof that this wasn't a man-made "frankenvirus".
Certain types of people don't care about FACTS.

We know the virus's precise RNA sequence and it was not an engineered sequence. It arose from random mutation of a native bat virus. Where, precisely, did that mutation happen? We don't know. But it was not "created" in any lab experiment.

You are a loyal MAGA sheep.

Certain types of people don't care about FACTS.

We know the virus's precise RNA sequence and it was not an engineered sequence. It arose from random mutation of a native bat virus. Where, precisely, did that mutation happen? We don't know. But it was not "created" in any lab experiment.
I'm not well read on this subject but this recent article from The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists might make you question your certainty:

"The virus that caused the pandemic is known officially as SARS-CoV-2, but can be called SARS2 for short. As many people know, there are two main theories about its origin. One is that it jumped naturally from wildlife to people. The other is that the virus was under study in a lab, from which it escaped. It matters a great deal which is the case if we hope to prevent a second such occurrence.

I’ll describe the two theories, explain why each is plausible, and then ask which provides the better explanation of the available facts. It’s important to note that so far there is no direct evidence for either theory. Each depends on a set of reasonable conjectures but so far lacks proof."

I'm not well read on this subject but this recent article from The Bulletin of Atomic Scientists might make you question your certainty:

"The virus that caused the pandemic is known officially as SARS-CoV-2, but can be called SARS2 for short. As many people know, there are two main theories about its origin. One is that it jumped naturally from wildlife to people. The other is that the virus was under study in a lab, from which it escaped. It matters a great deal which is the case if we hope to prevent a second such occurrence.

I’ll describe the two theories, explain why each is plausible, and then ask which provides the better explanation of the available facts. It’s important to note that so far there is no direct evidence for either theory. Each depends on a set of reasonable conjectures but so far lacks proof."

There are two different conversations going on. Whether the virus naturally jumped from another species to humans or whether the origin was a containment failure at a lab is absolutely worth investigating. I don't know that we'll ever definitively know, but we should look nonetheless. That's getting conflated with the virus itself being engineered in a lab as some kind of bioweapon, that's what OS was talking about as a baseless conspiracy theory.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT