ADVERTISEMENT

Covid is over

You’re probably right, but gas is up, houses, cars, food, jobs numbers lower than expected, 2 million about to be dropped from the unemployment rolls - again the jaded side of me wouldn’t be surprised if it was done to bolster confidence (symbolic) to keep getting more and more back out into the economy and into jobs. Fine by me

There's nothing wrong with taking the economic impacts into account, but I have a hard time imagining they made the policy change solely for economic reasons. Of course, I'm giving Biden every benefit of the doubt. I most likely would be much more skeptical if Trump was still in office. I'm man enough to admit my biases.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Monroe County has thrown in the towel. Lifting everything Monday. Of course, unvaccinated people are still supposed to mask up, but no one thinks they actually will if they don't have to.
Thrown in the towel...... to science.

Must be depressing when science doesn't support your fear.

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
People keep saying that, but it only makes sense if you think unvaccinated people would continue wearing masks, per the guidance. That's laughable.
Why do you care if you're vaccinated?

Thrown in the towel...... to science.

Must be depressing when science doesn't support your fear.
I'm actually okay with the change in policy. I wish there were more people getting the jab and think it's wrong that so many are still avoiding it, but there is no practical way I can think of to change that. Like I said before, time to declare victory and move ahead.

Reactions: brianiu
I received my vaccinations in February and March, so I became "armour" plated.....for "that" virus. I assumed (hoped, as I couldn't recall) that I had not acquired Chicken Pox as a child and with no living parent remaining to verify, evidently, I did have it because what I thought to be Poison Ivy on my left hand, forearm, upper arm and shoulder was diagnosed to be Shingles. For those of you who have never had them and are not sure (or remember) if you've ever had Chicken Pox, I would seriously consider getting the Shingles vaccine. I was told that I will have to wait until around the end of this year to get the shot. Shingles is not a good look and very painful.

i will but aren’t they only offering shingles vaccine to those over 60?

There will continue to be community spread and mutations will arise that could prove to be even more problematic than what we're dealing with now. It's just good public health policy for everyone to be vaccinated. It's about more than just ME.
If the vaccine is available and people don't take it, that's on them. That's not being about YOU.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I'm actually okay with the change in policy. I wish there were more people getting the jab and think it's wrong that so many are still avoiding it, but there is no practical way I can think of to change that. Like I said before, time to declare victory and move ahead.
If you're OK with it, why is Monroe County, why are you saying Monroe County is "throwing in the towel"?

Are you saying they were holding off on following the science?

CDC guidance runs contrary to a recent survey of epidemiologists who thought we’d be in masks for another year. The jaded/conspiratorial side of me thinks the lifting of masks was done in part over disappointing economic figures
Midterms are coming fast. That’s the primary reason the masks are out. Another year and just about every Dem with even a chance of losing would.

Sign a release document stating you will forego all ambulatory and hospital care if you get sick with COVID-19. Sign a legal agreement taking responsibility for spreading the virus to vulnerable people... then you can take your mask off.

You don't want to live in a civil society? Fine. There are some remote islands still without roads or clean drinking water to move too.
And now that the CDC says we can unmask, do you still feel this way? Just wondering . . .

If you're OK with it, why is Monroe County, why are you saying Monroe County is "throwing in the towel"?

Are you saying they were holding off on following the science?

No, I think they were bowing to the inevitable, despite it not being ideal from a public health standpoint. I think the CDC made the same calculus. And once the CDC released their revised guidance, there wasn't going to be any support in Monroe County for continuing with their masking and distancing requirements. Trust me, I'm out and about in town all day every day, and compliance was token at best as it was.

No, I think they were bowing to the inevitable, despite it not being ideal from a public health standpoint. I think the CDC made the same calculus. And once the CDC released their revised guidance, there wasn't going to be any support in Monroe County for continuing with their masking and distancing requirements. Trust me, I'm out and about in town all day every day, and compliance was token at best as it was.
The Biden admin made a Covid 180 last week. That is for sure. Whether it is for political purposes or not, I don’t really care the motivations, I’m just glad they did it.

Trump had a whole lot of good policy come out of his admin. A lot of Democrats couldn’t see past his character or what they perceived to be his motivations. It turned them into critics of good policy at which point you end up looking foolish.

Who was bowing to the inevitable? The CDC or Monroe County?

Are you saying these decisions aren't based on science?

Look, I know what you're trying to do... and I'm not falling for it.

The science is irrelevant if they're not getting compliance. Vaccinations are doing the job, deaths and hospitalizations are down and continue to decline, and people have been increasingly shrugging off the masking and distancing for some time. No sense in making things difficult for those who have no choice but to follow the rules when so many others aren't and the general population doesn't care any more.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Look, I know what you're trying to do... and I'm not falling for it.

The science is irrelevant if they're not getting compliance. Vaccinations are doing the job, deaths and hospitalizations are down and continue to decline, and people have been increasingly shrugging off the masking and distancing for some time. No sense in making things difficult for those who have no choice but to follow the rules when so many others aren't and the general population doesn't care any more.
No, you're not willing to admit the entire masking issue is politicized. You don't have to - it's obvious.

I think the infection numbers dropped significantly this past week and the CDC realized the vaccinations are extremely effective and it reached a tipping point, hence the sudden change in mask wearing.

Reactions: UncleMark
I think the infection numbers dropped significantly this past week and the CDC realized the vaccinations are extremely effective and it reached a tipping point, hence the sudden change in mask wearing.
They've been dropping for weeks. The death rate is lower than a normal flu season. Give me a break.

Reactions: Lucy01
No, you're not willing to admit the entire masking issue is politicized. You don't have to - it's obvious.
I've made the case that the decision was made based on the conditions on the ground. You're the one making a political case.

That was essentially what the Monroe County health officials said in their statement.

I've made the case that the decision was made based on the conditions on the ground. You're the one making a political case.
You've made no case. You said Monroe County thew in the towel, like they were pressured into it instead of it being a decision based on science.

You just won't admit you think it was political.

You've made no case. You said Monroe County thew in the towel, like they were pressured into it instead of it being a decision based on science.

You just won't admit you think it was political.

You keep trying to put your own spin on my phrasing. The county health people saw that the rate of infection was declining, that deaths were way down, hospitalizations were down, and then the CDC revised their guidance. Couple that with the obvious lack of compliance, there was no sense in continuing the restictions and the masking mandate. The science may have said that there could be further incremental improvements if they had stood pat, but there would have been little to no support for continuing. The science is meaningless if no one is following it.

You keep trying to put your own spin on my phrasing. The county health people saw that the rate of infection was declining, that deaths were way down, hospitalizations were down, and then the CDC revised their guidance. Couple that with the obvious lack of compliance, there was no sense in continuing the restictions and the masking mandate. The science may have said that there could be further incremental improvements if they had stood pat, but there would have been little to no support for continuing. The science is meaningless if no one is following it.
"The science is meaningless if no one is following it."

Before, 'science' was the holy grail. Now, you say it's only valid if it's followed. Yet you and your cohorts railed constantly about anyone who wouldn't wear a mask.

I guess everything changed after the election. All that faux outrage worked, I guess.

"The science is meaningless if no one is following it."

Before, 'science' was the holy grail. Now, you say it's only valid if it's followed. Yet you and your cohorts railed constantly about anyone who wouldn't wear a mask.

I guess everything changed after the election. All that faux outrage worked, I guess.

Okay, have it your way. It's all political, the "science" is just a cover. Biden is Trump 2.0.

There will continue to be community spread and mutations will arise that could prove to be even more problematic than what we're dealing with now. It's just good public health policy for everyone to be vaccinated. It's about more than just ME.

We have just gone into a near circuit-breaker/lockdown here today. We can still go out but cant eat/drink at F&B outlets, full working from home mode, schools on zoom etc.
The numbers have spiked from zero community spread for months to a couple of hundred in the last two weeks.

We have several clusters including in two hospitals which is worrying -- they were all vaccinated back in Jan/Feb and yet the new variant, Modi's Mutants have hit our shores in a bad way. We banned Indian flights like 2-3weeks ago but it seems like it was a little late.

Now both healthcare workers and patients have been infected with this Indian variant which is like 50% more contagious.

So you guys better prepare yourselves. I am usually like 6 weeks to 2 months ahead of your curve.

Last edited:
We have just gone into a near circuit-breaker/lockdown here today. We can still go out but cant eat/drink at F&B outlets, full working from home mode, schools on zoom etc.
The numbers have spiked from zero community spread for months to a couple of hundred in the last two weeks.

We have several clusters including in two hospitals which is worrying -- they were all vaccinated back in Jan/Feb and yet the new variant, Modi's Mutants have hit our shores in a bad way. We banned Indian flights like 2-3weeks ago but it seems like it was a little late.

Now both healthcare workers and patients have been infected with this Indian variant which is like 50% more contagious.

So you guys better prepare yourselves. I am usually like 6 weeks to 2 months ahead of your curve.
And yet Singapore is one of the most locked-down places on earth. You were bragging a few months ago how much better Singapore - a virtual island - compared to the U.S.

Meanwhile, masks mandates are lifting on private businesses. I just had brunch at a place in downtown Charlotte - no masks. Then I went shopping at Publix - no masks.

But keep living in fear in your bubble.

Meanwhile, masks mandates are lifting on private businesses. I just had brunch at a place in downtown Charlotte - no masks. Then I went shopping at Publix - no masks.

I fully expect to see infection rates rising here in the near term, but it will be primarily among the younger and less vulnerable, so deaths and hospitalizations will probably not increase much. This thing's not going away any time soon, but it should be much less severe or lethal. Things will still be rough for a whole lot of people who have to go through it.

Reactions: irish316
I fully expect to see infection rates rising here in the near term, but it will be primarily among the younger and less vulnerable, so deaths and hospitalizations will probably not increase much. This thing's not going away any time soon, but it should be much less severe or lethal. Things will still be rough for a whole lot of people who have to go through it.
At this point, the choice of vaccination is an individual one. It's available to everyone under age 16.

Infection rate is falling or holding steady. As you say, it may go up, but without the number of hospitalizations and deaths, hopefully.

The bottom line is, if you don't get vaccinated and get it and have problems - that's on you, at this point. No virus I know ever goes completely away and the death rate now is less than a normal flu season.

And yet Singapore is one of the most locked-down places on earth. You were bragging a few months ago how much better Singapore - a virtual island - compared to the U.S.

But keep living in fear in your bubble.

You aren't the sharpest tool in the shed are you. You have basically missed my point

Reactions: Please Be Kind

nobody gives a shit

Reactions: jet812 and DANC
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT