ADVERTISEMENT

Covid is over

I think one of the vaccines is made in MI, not sure which. Regardless, the Feds own them. Michigan can't just get them because they're close by.

IIUC, Catalent here in Bloomington is a subcontractor for one of them, putting the juice in the bottles.
No, but they provide the jobs that make them, which the Governor is no doubt promoting.

off topic but how is bloomington? restaurants come back? new restaurants?
We're still under a mask mandate with distancing and reduced capacities. Can't say much more about the restaurants since we've not gone to one in over a year. Closest we've gotten is takeout pizza or drive through junk food. I think I mentioned some time back that I'm really looking forward to sitting down in a restaurant and being served a nice meal and it not be weird with half the seats blocked and everybody masked up.

We're still under a mask mandate with distancing and reduced capacities. Can't say much more about the restaurants since we've not gone to one in over a year. Closest we've gotten is takeout pizza or drive through junk food. I think I mentioned some time back that I'm really looking forward to sitting down in a restaurant and being served a nice meal and it not be weird with half the seats blocked and everybody masked up.
For sure! I was thinking of taking a short trip with the fam at the end of the summer for a fball game. Was curious if Bton had many biz casualties from Covid

For sure! I was thinking of taking a short trip with the fam at the end of the summer for a fball game. Was curious if Bton had many biz casualties from Covid
The only "name" place I can think of is Opie Taylor's, and that may have been in the offing even before Covid.

@Marvin the Martian is more in touch with the restaurants around town than I am, so he should be able to fill you in much better than I can. Regardless, if you come down in the Fall you'll be able to find a meal, of that I'm sure.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
The only "name" place I can think of is Opie Taylor's, and that may have been in the offing even before Covid.

@Marvin the Martian is more in touch with the restaurants around town than I am, so he should be able to fill you in much better than I can. Regardless, if you come down in the Fall you'll be able to find a meal, of that I'm sure.
Bloomington Sandwich Company and Darn Good Soup. The Indian restaurant at 3rd and Washington went out, now a raman restaurant. Like everywhere, 2/3rds of our Steak n Shakes. The Mexican restaurant Amor on 3rd went out.

Bloomington Sandwich Company and Darn Good Soup. The Indian restaurant at 3rd and Washington went out, now a raman restaurant. Like everywhere, 2/3rds of our Steak n Shakes. The Mexican restaurant Amor on 3rd went out.

I think steak and shake is in ch 11. The ones in Stl really went downhill. Dirty etc. shame. I loved steak and shake

Are you serious? I've been going to restaurants several times a week since all this started.

Darn Good Soup is gone? Dang it.

Are you serious? I've been going to restaurants several times a week since all this started.
Dead serious. Wife has most of the comorbidities except obesity. That said, as frugal as we've been, we rarely went out anyway, so it wasn't a huge disruption for us. Maybe we'll appreciate it more once we get back at it.

Dead serious. Wife has most of the comorbidities except obesity. That said, as frugal as we've been, we rarely went out anyway, so it wasn't a huge disruption for us. Maybe we'll appreciate it more once we get back at it.
I have eaten out twice since my second vaccine. First at Dragon Express where I was the only customer there, so instead of getting it to go I stayed. Second I met friends at the Pizzaria for lunch, we were all vaccinated and only people in that middle room.

One good idea has come from COVID, closing off Kirkwood. We ate outside one night a couple weeks ago and it just feels more fun, more energetic.

I have eaten out twice since my second vaccine. First at Dragon Express where I was the only customer there, so instead of getting it to go I stayed. Second I met friends at the Pizzaria for lunch, we were all vaccinated and only people in that middle room.

One good idea has come from COVID, closing off Kirkwood. We ate outside one night a couple weeks ago and it just feels more fun, more energetic.
Eating inside spaced out with a worker masked is no fun for anyone

Reactions: UncleMark

Concur. Kirkwood is bad ass with the traffic blocked off. Feels like a mini 6th street.

No great losses, in my opinion. Opie's was headed towards closing ever since they got sold a few years back.

Bloomington Sandwich Co had good sandwiches, but he retired, didn't close bc of covid. Covid might have made it hard for him to find a buyer, if he tried to do that, but I don't know one way or the other.

I'd guess we've had a net positive number of restaurants over the past year...or roughly even.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
No great losses, in my opinion. Opie's was headed towards closing ever since they got sold a few years back.

Bloomington Sandwich Co had good sandwiches, but he retired, didn't close bc of covid. Covid might have made it hard for him to find a buyer, if he tried to do that, but I don't know one way or the other.

I'd guess we've had a net positive number of restaurants over the past year...or roughly even.
We stopped by Sandwich Company their next to last day. He said he had a talk with the Chocolate Moose about buying his recipes. I guess it didn't pan out. It is a shame, I loved his Italian Beef. Neither Fat Dan nor Yogis is as good.

Opie's was one of my two hangouts for a long, long time. Opie's when it was up next to the Bluebird was great. They still served hot chili and not just homestyle. Then they moved to their other location and stopped doing hot chili at all, which was a tremendous disappointment but their burgers were still good. Finally that went away, like you said when it was sold. Fortunately my other hangout, Pizzaria, keeps on.

Time for another pause, I guess. Might as well needlessly destroy public confidence in all the vaccines

Yep, that's what I got when I checked in for my shot.
Lemme check this sheet that's folded up with my vaccination card in my center console.....yep looks like a fact sheet i didn't bother to read.

Reactions: DANC
Just because I know everyone here is concerned about me:
In the last 2 weeks, the pulmonologist has given me a clean bill of health, and the cardiologist says my EKG/heart rate/blood pressure is all good, and I can go off anti-fibrillation medicine and blood thinners next month. I no longer have any shortness of breath or heart flutters.
HIIT and EC...here I come!

In the last 2 weeks, the pulmonologist has given me a clean bill of health, and the cardiologist says my EKG/heart rate/blood pressure is all good, and I can go off anti-fibrillation medicine and blood thinners next month. I no longer have any shortness of breath or heart flutters.
Glad to hear it bulk!

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Cross training will make sure it never happens again. I fall into the trap of cardio days and weight lifting days, it's my great sin.

It doesn't have to be HIIT or cross fit. Something as simple as squats, the stair master or battle ropes will do. It just hits different.

I've gotten into the cycle of sauna followed by an ice cold shower as well, that'll shock the system and burn out any nonsense.

Feck. The MOH has just announced that we are going into a step-up status of restrictions. Its a step below a circuit breaker/lockdown and have been told that it would not be unexpected if a lockdown were to happen.

We have had the biggest spike in the last 6 months. The Indian variant.

The lockdown in gyms is a killer for me.

And it's time we start acting like it.

Key points:

• Cases down 77% in the last 6 weeks
  • As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.
  • About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection
So take heed. This weekend, shed that mask, get in someone's face, make out with strangers. It is a time to celebrate, herd immunity is here. Don't let the dooms dayers that have grown to love this new world tell you otherwise.
Perhaps the Improvement is related to the CDC guidelines being followed. Please don't take it personally if I wait to hear it from Doctor Fauci rather than from you.

• Haha
Perhaps the Improvement is related to the CDC guidelines being followed. Please don't take it personally if I wait to hear it from Doctor Fauci rather than from you.
You definitely should do that. Today Fauci said we’re in the Bottom of the 6th inning in the fight against Covid. So I hope you maintain distancing and masking for at least another 6 months.

If you don’t I’ll be disappointed.

You definitely should do that. Today Fauci said we’re in the Bottom of the 6th inning in the fight against Covid. So I hope you maintain distancing and masking for at least another 6 months.

If you don’t I’ll be disappointed.
I wouldn't be so hopeful. Best not to put a timeline on it. Or unless you are referring to a doubleheader. It will be the case of whac-a-mole then contain/trace the spread as much as possible so it doesn't get out of hand.

We have had like 10 cases total in the last six months and then suddenly a huge spike in the last 10-12 days.
May possibly go into lockdown or what they euphemistically call 'circuit breaker' here.

Cases of frontline workers who were jabbed back in Feb (with Pfizer) but are getting infected by the Indian variant now. These workers then infected patients in a major hospital here. There also community spread already.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT