ADVERTISEMENT

Covid is over

A cost benefit analysis of the number 1 cause of death?

The cost is wearing a mask and social distancing. The benefit is hopefully less people losing their lives. Most people would think that is worth it.
I'm pretty sure the cost is far more than wearing a mask and social distancing. Sure, for some people and some fields of business, that's about it. But for others, and our economy as a whole, it's far more than that. Here's one example, on an individual level, that may not come immediately to mind:

Now, by no means am I suggesting that government went overboard in imposing restrictions. But an honest assessment requires an examination of far more than just the burden of wearing a mask and social distancing.

(And to be fair, I suppose "social distancing" could be viewed broadly enough to include shutting down the live music industry, the convention industry, the cruise industry, etc. Then again, I think that would trivialize what many people have, and still are, going through.)

Yes, some people got hit harder than others. What you listed and even movie theatres.

Even if the govt said it was a free for all, i would think lots of people would still likely be reluctant to pack themselves in somewhere with 1000s of other people around them in close proximity.

I know a comedian that started doing comedy over zoom. There are outside the box options.

It's a catch 22 though. The more we move on and try to be normal, the longer/more it remains out of control (unless the vaccine gets it under control). At least numbers seem to be going down currently so maybe there is hope for more normalcy soon.

Yes, some people got hit harder than others. What you listed and even movie theatres.

Even if the govt said it was a free for all, i would think lots of people would still likely be reluctant to pack themselves in somewhere with 1000s of other people around them in close proximity.

I know a comedian that started doing comedy over zoom. There are outside the box options.

It's a catch 22 though. The more we move on and try to be normal, the longer/more it remains out of control (unless the vaccine gets it under control). At least numbers seem to be going down currently so maybe there is hope for more normalcy soon.
Did the government mandates adversely affect your employment?

Lots of people are doing things like that. However, in almost all cases the amount of money pales by comparison to what they were bringing in pre-Covid.
One (of many) of the things what will be interesting to see is whether the practice of releasing new movies simultaneously to theaters and a streaming service continues post-Covid. (Big one this week is the new Tom and Jerry movie - to be released Friday in theaters and on HBO Max. Reviews are pretty good considering that it's, well, Tom and Jerry).

Bleak stuff here

Reactions: HooDatGuy
My trash still gets picked up every Friday.

Side joke:
What's the difference between the trash and PUke coeds?
The trash gets taken out every Friday.

maxresdefault.jpg

You’re not going to believe this but the “kids in cages” no longer exist.

Now the media reports on Biden’s “migrant facilities for children.” Lol.

Democrats including Michele Obama did make references to children in cages under Trump, but at least one arm of the media (the Associated Press) in this fact check report set the record straight.

Proving once again that the so-called media provides us with a multitude of sources with different approaches, both with and without biased opinions.

Did the government mandates adversely affect your employment?
I know this question wasn't for me but it's a damn good question.

Short answer: No. Worked everyday, though for a long stretch I was at home.

Longer more nuanced answer: Yes. The business I'm in was negatively affected by not only the economic slowdown but by government (state, mostly) restrictions on certain activities by financial institutions. Strangely, a normal recession is a boon for us. This is not a normal recession (or whatever we're calling the state we find ourselves in). We're in a weird limbo where we've made investments in our operation based on what we knew and what was forecasted pre COVID. Now we are sitting at about 70% output of what we were doing pre COVID. Our models are strained, our forecasting is a joke and about as good as throwing darts at this point.

But I don't complain. We've stayed afloat. But for how long - man, I try not to think about that too much.

Last edited:
I know this question wasn't for me but it's a damn good question.

Short answer: No. Worked everyday, though for a long stretch I was at home.

Longer more nuanced answer: Yes. The business I'm in was negatively affected by not only the economic slowdown but by government (state, mostly) restrictions on certain activities by financial institutions. Strangely, a normal recession is a boon for us. This is not a normal recession (or whatever we're calling the state we find ourselves in). We're in a weird limbo we're we've made investments in our operation based on what we knew and what was forecasted pre COVID. Now we are sitting at about 70% output of what we were doing pre COVID. Our models are strained, our forecasting is a joke and about as good as throwing darts at this point.

But I don't complain. We've stayed afloat. But for how long - man, I try not to think about that too much.
I'm going to butcher this but here goes nothing.
Marv was on here saying even without government mandated shutdowns of certain industries that those certain industries would struggle. I agree, wholeheartedly. But when government says your business can't be open...something about that doesn't sit right with me. This was one reason I thought we needed a stimulus package. Not because people were hurting but because some of the pain was doled out by the government.
Other than my kids missing half of their spring semester of schooling, my families life has not been changed that much. My wife works prn as a nurse and she probably only worked half as much as normal. With colleagues unable to go on vacation, she wasn't needed as often.
It's time for all kids to be able to enjoy in-person instruction at their chosen location. It's time for all businesses to be able to open to full capacity. This should be done by government stating "we are no longer controlling the situation", "by saying this we are in no manner saying Covid is not still a risk". At this point , everyone understands their risks and it's time for folks to make their own informed decisions.

Marv was on here saying even without government mandated shutdowns of certain industries that those certain industries would struggle. I agree, wholeheartedly. But when government says your business can't be open...something about that doesn't sit right with me. This was one reason I thought we needed a stimulus package. Not because people were hurting but because some of the pain was doled out by the government.
Other than my kids missing half of their spring semester of schooling, my families life has not been changed that much. My wife works prn as a nurse and she probably only worked half as much as normal. With colleagues unable to go on vacation, she wasn't needed as often.
It's time for all kids to be able to enjoy in-person instruction at their chosen location. It's time for all businesses to be able to open to full capacity. This should be done by government stating "we are no longer controlling the situation", "by saying this we are in no manner saying Covid is not still a risk". At this point , everyone understands their risks and it's time for folks to make their own informed decisions.
I think you missed an O in the second sentence of the second paragraph.

You wrote, "it's time for folks to make their own informed decisions."

But "folks" won't ever make "their own" decisions. That's unrealistic. "Folks" will do whatever they want until someone makes them respect the rights of others.

Those videos of people spitting into the faces of babies after mothers asked them to put on a mask prove my point. Ditto for the videos of people attacking elderly shoppers who asked them to wear a mask. That crap is still going on.

"Their own" decisions (as you put it) affect others who want no part of those decisions.

Hobbes was/is right: "Without a government, a man's life will be "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."

Another thing I noticed -- even in places where restaurant restrictions were eased, people were still reluctant to swarm their favorite restaurants and watering holes (i.e. they were still worried about their own safety). In other words, restaurant attendance is not entirely due to the government.

Since your posts frequently ask questions, here is one for you: if someone spit into the face of your baby or attacked your grandmother at a dhopping mall, wouldn't your motive to kick their ass be 100% unrelated to "government mandated shutdowns"?

(I think you are blaming "the government" for things that used to be handled by standards for politeness and respect for others.)

Reactions: IU_Hickory
You wrote, "it's time for folks to make their own informed decisions."

But "folks" won't ever make "their own" decisions. That's unrealistic. "Folks" will do whatever they want until someone makes them respect the rights of others.

Those videos of people spitting into the faces of babies after mothers asked them to put on a mask prove my point. Ditto for the videos of people attacking elderly shoppers who asked them to wear a mask. That crap is still going on.

"Their own" decisions (as you put it) affect others who want no part of those decisions.

Hobbes was/is right: "Without a government, a man's life will be "solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short."

Another thing I noticed -- even in places where restaurant restrictions were eased, people were still reluctant to swarm their favorite restaurants and watering holes (i.e. they were still worried about their own safety). In other words, restaurant attendance is not entirely due to the government.

Since your posts frequently ask questions, here is one for you: if someone spit into the face of your baby or attacked your grandmother at a dhopping mall, wouldn't your motive to kick their ass be 100% unrelated to "government mandated shutdowns"?

(I think you are blaming "the government" for things that used to be handled by standards for politeness and respect for others.)

Exactly. The same argument was made when smoking was banned in restaurants. Smokers thought it was ridiculous that they couldn't force everyone around them to deal with their 2nd hand smoke. Sometimes govt intervention is needed

Attacking elderly shoppers has always been a crime.
I said the same thing you did about restaurant attendance by referencing Marv's comments.
An attack on my family would lead to the reaction you have referenced.
Yeah, I'm not sure you said much at all. But you did seem to get upset over nothing.

digression...

With this driving job I sometimes hit Rush Limbaugh when I'm in the boonies and can't get WFIU-2. (Can't tell you who the guest host was, they're doing "Best of Rush" type shit lately.) Today I learned something... that Obama was in favor of lockdowns -- including movie theaters -- and not long after he got his lucrative deal with Netflix. Listeners were left to connect the dots on their own.

Attacking elderly shoppers has always been a crime.
I said the same thing you did about restaurant attendance by referencing Marv's comments.
An attack on my family would lead to the reaction you have referenced.
Yeah, I'm not sure you said much at all. But you did seem to get upset over nothing.
We agree, then.

It’s a shame that the Dems won’t follow the science. No reason schools shouldn’t be open everywhere. But you have to follow the science. It’s a shame.
It's been proven "follow the science" is only appropriate when it's convenient for one of the parties special interests.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
And it's time we start acting like it.

Key points:

• Cases down 77% in the last 6 weeks
  • As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.
  • About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection
So take heed. This weekend, shed that mask, get in someone's face, make out with strangers. It is a time to celebrate, herd immunity is here. Don't let the dooms dayers that have grown to love this new world tell you otherwise.

Not entirely... I'm a carrier 😕

And it's time we start acting like it.

Key points:

• Cases down 77% in the last 6 weeks
  • As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.
  • About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection
So take heed. This weekend, shed that mask, get in someone's face, make out with strangers. It is a time to celebrate, herd immunity is here. Don't let the dooms dayers that have grown to love this new world tell you otherwise.

I think we are going to see a good amount of folks, particularly working mothers, feeling this way.
I'm not seeing an issue with her tweet.

Reactions: mcmurtry66

I think we are going to see a good amount of folks, particularly working mothers, feeling this way.
I'm not seeing an issue with her tweet.

A lot of people have come to love the digital hellscape we’ve been living in for the last year.

I see it most amongst my anti-social, Democratic friends who shit their pants and yell “murderer” at the mere mention of returning to regular life.

To them, this new world is just fine, the people who lurked on the outskirts of real life, criticizing the boorish behaviors of the alpha’s in whispered tones have found a great equalizer in a remote society.

Ms. Ramshaw seems to be one of them.

Humans are not meant to sit around in sweats all day. A busy schedule is a GOOD thing.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
A lot of people have come to love the digital hellscape we’ve been living in for the last year.

I see it most amongst my anti-social, Democratic friends who shit their pants and yell “murderer” at the mere mention of returning to regular life.

To them, this new world is just fine, the people who lurked on the outskirts of real life, criticizing the boorish behaviors of the alpha’s in whispered tones have found a great equalizer in a remote society.

Humans are not meant to sit around in sweats all day. A busy schedule is a GOOD thing.
There's something to say about kids having a parent at home.
There's also something to say about kids having in school instruction as well

You’re not going to believe this but the “kids in cages” no longer exist.

Now the media reports on Biden’s “migrant facilities for children.” Lol.

Migrant children at border are still being separated from relatives under Biden administration

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

No, she is just an example of those who have weathered this well, the priveleged and affluent who have maintained their incomes and whose lifestyles were such that the adjustments needed weren't that onerous.

:rolleyes:

I see it in all those anger-filled right wing-nuts who got so restless, they decided to try and throw a monkey wrench into the wheels of democracy and overthrow the Capitol.

How'd I do checking at least some of the boxes?

The business reality is that we're unlikely to ever return to the old ways. Too much money to be saved by dropping office leases when firms are now confident in executing remotely. Sitting in traffic for 1-2 hours per day is not efficient use of anyone's time.

Reactions: MaxCoke
The business reality is that we're unlikely to ever return to the old ways. Too much money to be saved by dropping office leases when firms are now confident in executing remotely. Sitting in traffic for 1-2 hours per day is not efficient use of anyone's time.
But it's much more dramatic to "feel" like it's the lazy, shiftless libs who don't like to work (Farva's circle of friends). I'm sure they all sit around and laugh at the hard-working Farva, who is stupid enough to labor away day after day at a (gulp) job. That's such a conservative notion. :rolleyes:

Anyone watch the Biden speech tonight? He said if we're good little boys and girls we might be able to have small BBQ's for the 4th of July.

He also said to expect further guidance on what you can do in the coming weeks if you're fully vaccinated.

Here's what you can do if you're fully vaccinated........ Are you ready?

Anything you f*cking want.

What is with these people? Why are they intent on acting like this virus is still a thing?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT