ADVERTISEMENT

Covid is over

Wall-of-Text2.png
If you haven't watched cobra kai, it's perfect. there's a great scene where johnny is getting ready to send ali a message on facebook that looks just like this only it's in all caps

Reactions: larsIU
CoH, would bet the survival rate of bicycle riders who don't wear a helmet is really high. So why do you and those other scaredy cats wear one?
How did I and my friends ever survive childhood without wearing a helmet?

Reactions: GregJM24
Anecdotal post, with deeper philosophic closing points:

I saw my docs this week.

One said I was safe - the other said stay home until you have had your vaccination. Thanks. Medical Industry.

One said "unless you wear an N95, masking is a speed bump at best - nothing stops an airborne virus except herd immunity gained through exposures and vaccines and virus mutation. People wearing cloth masks and surgical masks put out plenty enough of airborne Covid to keep it spreading. Touching sneeze and cough droplets has never been the real problem."

Yes, it might keep rural hospitals from getting overrun, but nothing will keep a major city or regional hospital from getting overrun. Driving business to big-city or regionally-dominant hospitals in "normal times" has unintended consequences during a pandemic.

Not gonna look it up, but I suspect history shows that every disease with an overall survival rate of 98-99+% (like Covid) will still have a much lower survival rate for folks over 70 and folks with pre-existing health problems before they caught the new one. I would bet that - in the end - the Covid numbers will not prove to be different in a statistically-significant way.

Likewise, history will show that all diseases also have non-lethal complications rangeing from minor to severe in a small percentage of cases, some unique, some driven by other health conditions. The jury is stillout on the rates/consequences of Covid, but again I would bet that - in the end - the Covid numbers will not prove to be different in a statistically-significant way, or prove to be unique in this regard either.

The main difference about Covid is not a medical or scientific difference. The disease has progressed like all others before it. But Covid has been politicized more than any other past pandemic or epidemic - due in part to the prevalance of developed-world social media. After living through it, it is easier to understand how a government which controls the message could convince its people to believe almost anything. Easier to understand how a 1920-30's Germany convinced its people to target Jews and Slavs. Easier to see how even a US government can - and soon will? - convince its own to attack a segment of its own, to see how one segment turns on another. Radical Islam is not the only group than can radicalize folks. My estimate is that about 80,000,000 US citizens/residents could currently be convinced by their respective Vote Whores to hit the streets in search of The Enemy. More than that are already willing to attack The Enemy in an anonymous internet manner. Give them a bandana and a pitchfork and few neighbors to hide amongst and:

tenor.gif
Thank God we have the internet and media beyond the traditional ABC, NBC, CBS, CNN, to counter the mass hysteria that's been perpetrated.

Are there still armed troops guarding Washington DC from the People?

Reactions: GregJM24
Are you kidding? All sports were cancelled in days. Shutdowns of restaurants, churches happened over night. Schools closed. No weddings. No funerals. No nursing home visits. All travel came to a sudden and screeching halt. And on and on. We scared the crap out of each other. That was pretty serious. Sure, some rebelled. Some don’t evacuate who are in the path of a wildfire either. That’s the way it is.
Shutting everything down was understandable at the time. Because we didn’t understand it. The real problems are where lockdowns continued where unnecessary.

We now have a blueprint for next time.

Shutting everything down was understandable at the time. Because we didn’t understand it. The real problems are where lockdowns continued where unnecessary.

Yes. I think it's important to point out the big unknown. At the same time it became known quite quickly that the one size fits all approach was doing more harm than good. We are still feeling its effects.

We'll do better next time as long as the whole idea isn't based on making the sitting President look bad.

We'll do better next time as long as the whole idea isn't based on making the sitting President look bad.

We also might deal with an almost entirely new pandemic more effectively if we had a president willing to step aside and let the health professionals do the talking.

Having said that, how does a president know his health advisors who have held their post from previous administrations can be trusted ? QAnan folks are convinced. advisors from previous administrations cannot be trusted.

The above dilemma about trust illustrates how a democracy which may be too divided cannot be effective. By not being effective in the eyes of the populace, some of us will take arms against the government (think January 6th).

NBC News Headline: Biden "I can't set nationally who gets vaccine." How federal government's power goes....

Now that Trump's out the media is going to start explaining federalism....
I said this from the beginning. Everyone thinks the President can just act like a dictator whenever it suits their agenda.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
JP Morgan hops on the Covid is over train.

Let me say this. If you are waiting on Public Health experts to give you the "green light" to shed your mask, you will likely be waiting for the rest of your life. And Fauci should be fired.

Let me say this. If you are waiting on Public Health experts to give you the "green light" to shed your mask, you will likely be waiting for the rest of your life. And Fauci should be fired.
the scary thing is how much of the populace has bought it....

Dr. HooDat. Would love to see your medical credentials ;)

I have none. Neither does the quant team JP Morgan.

What we both can do is look at data and draw reasonable conclusions. If more people had done that instead of listening to health experts on blind faith, this pandemic fear mongering wouldn't be as bad as it is.
Here's some data for you. Covid is currently the #1 cause of death in the US. February has averaged more than 2,400 deaths per day from Covid. More than 500,000 Americans have died from Covid in just 12 months. The overwhelming majority died without a relative or friend at their bedside.

Fear-mongering? You're out of your mind.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Here's some data for you. Covid is currently the #1 cause of death in the US. February has averaged more than 2,400 deaths per day from Covid. More than 500,000 Americans have died from Covid in just 12 months. The overwhelming majority died without a relative or friend at their bedside.

Fear-mongering? You're out of your mind.

Unfortunately this is the only data that gets presented to the public. Never contextualized, never stratified, god forbid a cost benefit analysis.

More fear mongering.

Seems to me that we "shrivel dicks" who follow the guidelines of health professionals help make it more probable for those who demand individual freedom to avoid getting sick.

Auto drivers who stop on yellow, and/or enter dangerous intersections cautiously, make it possible for drivers who run red lights to avoid accidents.
And, many of us are better at recognizing who the experts are than others:

83346981-352-k730088.jpg

Reactions: IU_Hickory
NBC News Headline: Biden "I can't set nationally who gets vaccine." How federal government's power goes....

Now that Trump's out the media is going to start explaining federalism....
You’re not going to believe this but the “kids in cages” no longer exist.

Now the media reports on Biden’s “migrant facilities for children.” Lol.

I am confused.

Biden was supposed to be the puppet, and AOC one of the puppeteers. Now AOC is furious with Biden

The disturbing effects of COVID lockdowns on global mental health continues...

Japan, 6,976 women took their lives last year, nearly 15 percent more than in 2019. It was the first year-over-year increase in more than a decade.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
One thing we should have learned is downplaying covid doesn't actually help re-election prospects.

Taking it more seriously would have lowered the death rate. It is not about fear. It is about understanding the situation and giving a crap about the people around you that may be more at risk.

And even if you are unlikely to die, you can still get bad complications from it that you have to live with moving forward.

You can’t hold CoH’s jock. Don’t embarrass yourself and try to debate him. He’s gonna kick your ass all day every day.

Unfortunately this is the only data that gets presented to the public. Never contextualized, never stratified, god forbid a cost benefit analysis.

More fear mongering.

A cost benefit analysis of the number 1 cause of death?

The cost is wearing a mask and social distancing. The benefit is hopefully less people losing their lives. Most people would think that is worth it.

Reactions: sglowrider
You can’t hold CoH’s jock. Don’t embarrass yourself and try to debate him. He’s gonna kick your ass all day every day.

You shouldn't worry...i am perfectly fine with you being the one to hold coh's jock. I wouldn't want to even touch it with a 10 ft pole and nose plugs.

Reactions: sglowrider
A cost benefit analysis of the number 1 cause of death?

The cost is wearing a mask and social distancing. The benefit is hopefully less people losing their lives. Most people would think that is worth it.
In what sector are you employed?

You shouldn't worry...i am perfectly fine with you being the one to hold coh's jock. I wouldn't want to even touch it with a 10 ft pole and nose plugs.

I enjoy the ass whooping he gives you guys on here. None of you can handle it so you resort to insults.

Awful lot of life losers that love to post on here like they’re major league attorneys.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT