ADVERTISEMENT

Covid is over

HooDatGuy

Senior
Sep 10, 2020
And it's time we start acting like it.

Key points:

• Cases down 77% in the last 6 weeks
  • As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.
  • About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection
So take heed. This weekend, shed that mask, get in someone's face, make out with strangers. It is a time to celebrate, herd immunity is here. Don't let the dooms dayers that have grown to love this new world tell you otherwise.

So pretend like I'm 20 again. Got it
Guy I work with has it now. He's been out of commission for the past month and has just now started working a bit. Both he and his wife had/have it and both have been to the emergency room a couple of times; he's had the antibodies shot. He still has breathing problems, yesterday he spiked a fever for no apparent reason. The simplest task exhaust him and said his vision is messed up; takes a bit for his eyes to re-focus when he switches from looking at something close to something further away.

The infection rate may be dropping but to say this is over is wrong.

• About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection
OK, I'll bite.

How did the author arrive at a 0.23% fatality rate? In the US, we are currently at about 500,000 deaths out of 28.5 million cases, which gives you about a 1.7% fatality rate.
Now, I get the fact that the author is going along with the theory that there are a significant amount of infections that go unreported. But A) That is assuming that the non-reporting percentage is 6.5X the documented cases, which that is ALOT and B) that concept is still based upon an assumption that is not even close to have been proven remotely true yet. It will be YEARS before we have an accurate assessment of reported / unreported percentages.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Guy I work with has it now. He's been out of commission for the past month and has just now started working a bit. Both he and his wife had/have it and both have been to the emergency room a couple of times; he's had the antibodies shot. He still has breathing problems, yesterday he spiked a fever for no apparent reason. The simplest task exhaust him and said his vision is messed up; takes a bit for his eyes to re-focus when he switches from looking at something close to something further away.

Oh I'm just joking around the absurdity of pretending like we shouldn't move forward cautiously. My boss still isn't back to work and it's been a couple weeks. Got it bad but is on the mend.

Reactions: GregJM24

Key points:

• As of this week, 15% of Americans have received the vaccine, and the figure is rising fast. Former Food and Drug Commissioner Scott Gottlieb estimates 250 million doses will have been delivered to some 150 million people by the end of March.
So take heed. This weekend, shed that mask, get in someone's face, make out with strangers. It is a time to celebrate, herd immunity is here. Don't let the dooms dayers that have grown to love this new world tell you otherwise.
Thank you, Joe Biden, for making COVID your #1 priority when taking office! "Stealing" the election was well worth it.

Key points:

And like magic.....it just disappeared!
Thank You President Biden!

PS, I have extra bleach and light sticks if anyone is looking :oops:

Peer reviewed WHO data.

Time to give it up doomsdayers. It's over. As far as personal anecdotes, transcribe them down on paper, fold it up, and shove it.
if you read the full study from John Loaniddis, he makes that determination from studies all around the world. The averages fluctuated greatly by country. The United States in particular had levels ranging from .25% up to 1.5%. The corrected 0.23% is a from all over the world, including many countries (India and China, for example) who's rates are far far lower.
The full article is here:
WHO | Infection fatality rate of COVID-19 inferred from seroprevalence data

The Imperial College in London has performed a similar study and determined that the rates ranged between 1.15% to 0.23%, but with the somewhat surprising result that affluent countries had the higher levels than the poor countries (COVID-19 Infection Fatality Ratio is About 1.15%, (webmd.com) ). The belief being that more affluent countries have a higher life expectancy, and therefore the population being exposed to Covid is on average older and thus more susceptible.

Reactions: DANC
if you read the full study from John Loaniddis, he makes that determination from studies all around the world. The averages fluctuated greatly by country. The United States in particular had levels ranging from .25% up to 1.5%. The corrected 0.23% is a from all over the world, including many countries (India and China, for example) who's rates are far far lower.
The full article is here:
WHO | Infection fatality rate of COVID-19 inferred from seroprevalence data

The Imperial College in London has performed a similar study and determined that the rates ranged between 1.15% to 0.23%, but with the somewhat surprising result that affluent countries had the higher levels than the poor countries (COVID-19 Infection Fatality Ratio is About 1.15%, (webmd.com) ). The belief being that more affluent countries have a higher life expectancy, and therefore the population being exposed to Covid is on average older and thus more susceptible.

And as we live in one of those affluent countries and that older population is bounding closer to fully vaccinated. Covid is over.

Reactions: GregJM24 and DANC
And as we live in one of those affluent countries and that older population is bounding closer to fully vaccinated. Covid is over.
As of today, 4.9% of the population has received both doses of the vaccine. I do not have immediate data upon the age distribution of that 4.9%, but considering that adults 65 years and older make up over 16% of the population, I'd say we've still got a bit to go.

Reactions: largemouth
As of today, 4.9% of the population has received both doses of the vaccine. I do not have immediate data upon the age distribution of that 4.9%, but considering that adults 65 years and older make up over 16% of the population, I'd say we've still got a bit to go.

15% with at least one does (which dramatically lowers the infection rate to begin with) single dose vaccinations coming on line. We’re talking days and weeks here, it’s over.

Guess what... I know someone diagnosed with syphylis this past week... but it doesn't mean everyone's keeping their pants on

You didn't read the article young man. Natural immunity has gotten us here. No one gets to take credit.

But it is over.

So the bullet point about how many will have received the vaccine by the end of March is not a factor? The article does predict we won’t have herd immunity until April, so I presume this is because of shots in arms as a big factor.

500,000 people died so Pelosi could get rid of Trump! Criminal.
No.

500,00+ people died while Trump (after he lost the election) was claiming without proof that there was election fraud and there was no noticeable anti-Covid action by Trump in the period between the election and Biden's inauguration.

Trump and McConnell etc. claimed there was a bright line demarking when he stopped being president for purposes of claiming he was no longer subject to impeachment because he had become a private citizen. However, those same alt-right arguments also prove Trump was still president and had a legal obligation to keep performing his duties against Covid right up to the minute he claimed he became a private citizen.

He should not have been permitted to have it both ways but the Republicans, of course, highly approved of everything Trump stands for.

Capitol-riot-960x640.jpg

No.

500,00+ people died while Trump (after he lost the election) was claiming without proof that there was election fraud and there was no noticeable anti-Covid action by Trump in the period between the election and Biden's inauguration.

Trump and McConnell etc. claimed there was a bright line demarking when he stopped being president for purposes of claiming he was no longer subject to impeachment because he had become a private citizen. However, those same alt-right arguments also prove Trump was still president and had a legal obligation to keep performing his duties against Covid right up to the minute he claimed he became a private citizen.

He should not have been permitted to have it both ways but the Republicans, of course, highly approved of everything Trump stands for.

Capitol-riot-960x640.jpg
You’re wrong again! I really feel sorry for people that think like you!

Reactions: DANC and IUSUMMERS

Key points:

Bike-Fall.jpg

You didn't read the article young man. Natural immunity has gotten us here. No one gets to take credit.

But it is over.
The article wrongly presumes that if you have had COVID you are immune! There is a period of time that they believe you are immune, but you can get COVID19 again

Well they told us Shanghai Buyden had a plan. And several people said it would be over as soon as this wasn't political capital anymore. GO US ! ! Now let the Sheeple out !

.... several people said it would be over as soon as this wasn't political capital anymore....
Certain people said it would be over
...before Easter, 2020
...when it gets hot in the summer of 2000
...on Nov. 3rd, 2020
...in time for unmasked Christmas parties
...in time for inauguration day
...in time for the Super Bowl

Wrong, wrong, wrong..... every time.

Someday it will indeed be all over. But those who asserted the end all of those other times, and were wrong, should not then be taking any victory lap.

Well they told us Shanghai Buyden had a plan. And several people said it would be over as soon as this wasn't political capital anymore. GO US ! ! Now let the Sheeple out !
Today, I believe, is Biden's 30th day in office.

Did you have a link documenting that "they" ever went on record predicting that, in 30 days, Biden would solve all the problems caused by Trump's disregard of Covid?

trump_bleach.jpg

If that's the case, I can only assume you voted for Biden. Surely you must have voted for Biden if you thought Biden could solve Trump's problems in just 30 days.

Please tell me you voted for Biden.

Oh I'm just joking around the absurdity of pretending like we shouldn't move forward cautiously. My boss still isn't back to work and it's been a couple weeks. Got it bad but is on the mend.
I said a couple or three months ago that if things move like they seem to be moving and based on everything I've read, I was of the belief we'd be able to resume "normal" living this summer, say by July 4th. I've not seen any reason yet to change my thinking.

My son graduates from college in May, from Cornell. It seems unlikely there will be an in-person graduation. That's a shame. I had been hoping that would be my first normal.

Reactions: GregJM24
According to Johns Hopkins University's tally of cases in the United States, there have been at least 27,999,565 cases of coronavirus in the U.S.; at least 495,506 people have died in the U.S. from Covid-19.

So far today, nearing midnight, JHU has reported 103,525 new cases & 2,408 new deaths.

Remember when we cringed about 1,000 deaths a day, then 2,000, then 3,000, then 4,000?

Over? Nah. Moving in the right direction? Yes.

Key points:

Sign a release document stating you will forego all ambulatory and hospital care if you get sick with COVID-19. Sign a legal agreement taking responsibility for spreading the virus to vulnerable people... then you can take your mask off.

You don't want to live in a civil society? Fine. There are some remote islands still without roads or clean drinking water to move too.

Sign a release document stating you will forego all ambulatory and hospital care if you get sick with COVID-19. Sign a legal agreement taking responsibility for spreading the virus to vulnerable people... then you can take your mask off.

You don't want to live in a civil society? Fine. There are some remote islands still without roads or clean drinking water to move too.
Liberals make me laugh, maybe everyone should cower in their basements forever like you?

Let’s see what other country wears masks? That’s right, China. The same country that owns Hunter Biden.
So I say no thank you to masks!

Reactions: DANC and IUSUMMERS
Looking at the overall fatality rate misses the real story. I read this week it's just under 6% for those over 65. And less than .01% for between 20 and 40 year olds. It's no wonder everyone is so frustrated with each other when there is so much disparity in the risk.

I said a couple or three months ago that if things move like they seem to be moving and based on everything I've read, I was of the belief we'd be able to resume "normal" living this summer, say by July 4th. I've not seen any reason yet to change my thinking.
Depends where you live. Some places have already resumed normal living.

can I make you head of some health agency?

About 1 in 600 Americans has died of Covid-19, which translates to a population fatality rate of about 0.15%. The Covid-19 infection fatality rate is about 0.23%. These numbers indicate that roughly two-thirds of the U.S. population has had the infection
This illogic is fundamentally flawed and dangerous. It's extremely unlikely two-thirds of Americans have been infected.

But things are definitely moving in the right direction. It's not over. Pretending it is over is irresponsible. But the end is indeed in view.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT