ADVERTISEMENT

Covid is no joke!

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
I had a "sinus issue" and got tested for Covid. By the time I received my positive report, I was full on sick.I had ordered a pulse/ox meter. A friend let me borrow theirs and luckily she did. My O2 was scary low and I was taken to the ER and admitted. ECG, CT scans, chest x-rays and blood work indicated a major Covid issue in my lungs. Thanks to the meter and early access to it, I am mending at home now with my oxygen when I need it.

I am never sick. I work outdoors on the property all weekend sometimes without getting tired. This Covid kicked my ass and did it quickly, I was almost too stubborn to go to the ER. The point of this post is for every person to order, buy or have access to a pulse/ox meter. Know what your lungs can do when healthy and what is abnormal for you.

My wife remains negative along with my son , son in law and 8 month pregnant daughter. So thankful for a friend that insisted I borrow a meter and everyone that forced me to the hospital. So everyone will now order a meter and get prepared, right? It was worse than expected.

I had a "sinus issue" and got tested for Covid. By the time I received my positive report, I was full on sick.I had ordered a pulse/ox meter. A friend let me borrow theirs and luckily she did. My O2 was scary low and I was taken to the ER and admitted. ECG, CT scans, chest x-rays and blood work indicated a major Covid issue in my lungs. Thanks to the meter and early access to it, I am mending at home now with my oxygen when I need it.

I am never sick. I work outdoors on the property all weekend sometimes without getting tired. This Covid kicked my ass and did it quickly, I was almost too stubborn to go to the ER. The point of this post is for every person to order, buy or have access to a pulse/ox meter. Know what your lungs can do when healthy and what is abnormal for you.

My wife remains negative along with my son , son in law and 8 month pregnant daughter. So thankful for a friend that insisted I borrow a meter and everyone that forced me to the hospital. So everyone will now order a meter and get prepared, right? It was worse than expected.
Glad you're on the mend

Reactions: glmiu11 and 76-1

Glad you were on top off the situation Bud...what was your pulse ox reading at its low point?

Glad you're on the upswing. Thankfully I have a doctor wife to look after all my bullshit. She's hoping to get the vaccine in the next couple weeks.

Glad to hear you caught it before it caught you . Hope you're feeling better soon.

Very happy to hear you got onto this quickly and you're getting better, bud.

Get well . . . and stay there!

. . . and you might consider donating some of that blood for someone who might need it.

Reactions: IU40IU and 76-1
Oh . . . take vitamin D3 . . . 1-2k mg a day. May help prevent COVID . . . Harvard has a study going right now. Here are some articles on the subject:

According to my wife it’s a pretty good idea to take Vitamin D regardless of Covid. She tells most of her patients to take it.

According to my wife it’s a pretty good idea to take Vitamin D regardless of Covid. She tells most of her patients to take it.
Yeah, a lot of frustrated women grasp at the Vitamin D straw as a last resort for their man's ED!

Reactions: Eppy99

Sorry, Bud. I have a Dr friend and he suggested getting the pulse oximeter, but I was already sick with it. Mine was a very mild case, except for the exhaustion which was a bear. I never had coughing or breathing issues, but I did sense that it could take you down pretty quick. I likened it to a weed in the driveway, if you can keep it from finding a crack and getting rooted, I think it can be mild, but if it gets it's roots into you, you could have a battle. Glad you're on the mend. Mine was about 2 months ago and I'm back to normal, but still rebuilding my wind and fitness. I set a post covid PR for rowing 5K the other day and I'm almost a full minute slower than I was pre-Covid.

Took an ambulance ride in August due to pneumonia/ fluid retention

Woke up unable to draw a breath.

Blood O2 was 50%
Normal is 95%

Rona was negative.

Wishing you all the best! Mend quickly!

McHoop

Blood O2 was 50%
Normal is 95%

Rona was negative.
Whoa . . . did you get the pneumonia vaccine before that episode? If so, I just paid a bunch of money for nuttin'.

Glad you're doing better, Mas . . . you are doing better, aren't you? 🤨

Reactions: 76-1

Blood O2 was 50%
Normal is 95%

Rona was negative.
I don't trust the accuracy of the tests. I had an event after I had it and they asked me to show negative test results to attend. I asked my nurse and she said they don't recommend retesting unless you have to, because she said the likelihood of false positives are so high, once you had it. I asked how healthcare workers do it and she said you just have to keep getting retested and eventually you'll get negative results???

Glad I had it already because I also wouldn't be too excited about getting the vaccine at this point. Assuming I'll be in the last group so at least I'll have some time to decide.

Very happy to hear you got onto this quickly and you're getting better, bud.

Get well . . . and stay there!

. . . and you might consider donating some of that blood for someone who might need it.
One of my treatments was convalescent plasma. I got at least 3 doses of it

Reactions: Sope Creek

Bud, hang in there. Make sure you don't overdo activities and pay attention to what your body is telling you.

Many who insisted they needed to spend Thanksgiving with family and friends will end up having it be their last.

Zana Cooper, a 60-year-old cancer survivor in Murrieta, California, tested positive for COVID-19 after attending a Thanksgiving dinner with her son’s girlfriend’s family. At the dinner, the girlfriend’s father, who had recently traveled to Florida, wasn’t feeling well and went to bed early.
Cooper learned the following Sunday that he tested positive.
“My first reaction was the f-word. I was so mad,” she said. “I was upset. I was angry. I was like, ‘How dare you take my life in your hands?’”
She has had fever and headaches, a runny nose and bloodshot eyes, and in recent days it has become more difficult to breathe and she has been using an inhaler. She said she believes she brought the virus home to her daughter and two grandchildren, who live with her and are now ill with what a doctor diagnosed as COVID-19.

Zana Cooper, a 60-year-old cancer survivor in Murrieta, California, tested positive for COVID-19 after attending a Thanksgiving dinner with her son’s girlfriend’s family. At the dinner, the girlfriend’s father, who had recently traveled to Florida, wasn’t feeling well and went to bed early.
Cooper learned the following Sunday that he tested positive.
“My first reaction was the f-word. I was so mad,” she said. “I was upset. I was angry. I was like, ‘How dare you take my life in your hands?’”
She has had fever and headaches, a runny nose and bloodshot eyes, and in recent days it has become more difficult to breathe and she has been using an inhaler. She said she believes she brought the virus home to her daughter and two grandchildren, who live with her and are now ill with what a doctor diagnosed as COVID-19.
Play stupid games and win stupid prizes.

I've never said I would not take a vaccine. I have said that I understand why people are leery about it. I've always said Covid is real. Now the rate of death has gone down which is great news. But as Bud said it is no joke even if it doesn't kill you.
We are losing over 2,000 people a day. How is the death rate down?

Covid is so strange....99% sure the family had it in Feb/March. Our symptoms were mild but my mother in law and brother in law got very sick. Father in law had chest tightness but didn’t get to their level.

Glad you made it!

The coronavirus will kill more people in the United States every day for the next two to three months than died in the attacks on Sept. 11, 2001, or Pearl Harbor, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said Thursday.

The stark warning came as the United States set a record for fatalities for the second day in a row, surpassing 3,300 deaths Thursday and bringing the U.S. death toll to more than 291,800, which is more than the number of U.S. soldiers
killed in combat during World War II.

But . . . those facts and projections don't fit the administration's and conservatives' narrative. We'd go to war if someone outside the country killed that many Americans in a day. And yet conservatives' war is to perpetuate - anti-democratically - the administration. Makes you wonder whether conservatives are Americans at all.

Last edited:
I've never said I would not take a vaccine. I have said that I understand why people are leery about it. I've always said Covid is real. Now the rate of death has gone down which is great news. But as Bud said it is no joke even if it doesn't kill you.
How is your congregation doing? Hopefully y'all haven't been hit . . . or at least not hit hard by COVID.

Are y'all still holding services in the parking lot?

Because more people are being tested. About 3 weeks or so the deaths were 200k and about 10 million had been diagnosed as having the virus. With more tests we find more people getting over it without dying. Now I am thankful for this and at the same time we pray for those who lost their lives.

• Haha
Reactions: sglowrider
Because more people are being tested. About 3 weeks or so the deaths were 200k and about 10 million had been diagnosed as having the virus. With more tests we find more people getting over it without dying. Now I am thankful for this and at the same time we pray for those who lost their lives.
You’re close. Not just more people getting tested, but more people actually getting it. That number is growing faster that the number dying, so percentage dying (death rate) is decreasing while total dying is at record levels.

Too cold. We wear masks stay six feet apart and wipe down all areas of the church.
Good that you're making at least that effort. What about the singing and hugging and laying of hands and all the other stuff that is part and parcel of evangelical religious observance?

Because more people are being tested..... With more tests we find more people getting over it without dying. Now I am thankful for this and at the same time we pray for those who lost their lives.
no, 3,000+ people are dying every day, whether they had gotten tested or not. Deaths have TRIPLED over the past few weeks.

Last edited:
People being tested has nothing to do with it. I’m talking about dying, not testing. We are now over 3,000 DEATHS a day, with hospitals. bursting at the seam.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT