ADVERTISEMENT

Covid Experience

I can't imagine a worse combination of character traits for an attorney than the ones you have. Name calling, completely intellectually incurious, racist, lazy, unable to even read, focus on, or understand your own links, control problems with outbursts of rage. completely confused about what a rate vs. a total or a total vs. per-capita numbers. And a complete bore on top of it all.

You're a national treasure!

oh my god they are showing rates based on known hospitalizations as well as known total vaccinations. not rate increases.

I can't imagine a worse combination of character traits for an attorney than the ones you have. Name calling, completely intellectually incurious, racist, lazy, unable to even read or understand your own links, control problems with outbursts of rage. completely confused about what a rate vs. a total or a total vs. per-capita numbers. And a complete bore on top of it all.

He's not a complete bore. He's an avid soccer fan, and I hear he lives in St. Louis. He can't be all bad.
:D

I can't imagine a worse combination of character traits for an attorney than the ones you have. Name calling, completely intellectually incurious, racist, lazy, unable to even read, focus on, or understand your own links, control problems with outbursts of rage. completely confused about what a rate vs. a total or a total vs. per-capita numbers. And a complete bore on top of it all.

You have multiple posters asking if you're drunk. That's how stupid your posts are. The measure for your posts is whether a sober person could write that. Let that sink in

Reactions: DANC and stollcpa
ugh. I jumped an age group so i'll be a star stoll. sad to jump an age group tho
Well you could have offered to jump to a younger age group, to give the youngsters some instruction, right?

Then, you could say you pwned the younguns.

sope you'd really laugh at this age group league. the game looks sooooooooo good for the first fifteen or twenty minutes. then by about the 25 minute mark you've got 11 guys in one box, 11 guys in another box, and 80 yards of green grass between the groups
HA HA. After taking kids through 4 year-old "bee swarm" soccer, where everybody follows the ball at top speed, that would be great.

I remember one old man's league . . . nobody ever moved. It was like very accurate pinball. Ball comes into a stationary kicker, and zoom, it comes back out . . . nobody ever made any kind of run . . . .

Maybe you can tell a soccer player by their age . . . the closer to the ball they are, the younger they have to be . . . .

Last edited:
Reactions: ChaChaG
Getting the exercise is a win. I have days I when I think I can go to the gym and play basketball with my son and his friends. I come my senses before I get on my tennis shoes. I think I can beat them all shooting free throws. Lol. If I ever join a pickle ball league I will officially know I am near death.
Last day I played a competitive game of basketball was 18 years ago . . . I shredded my right Achilles . . .

. . . I know a guy who's in his 70s who still plays competitive pickup basketball. Dude played for Jeffersonville back in the 60s and then for Southern Illinois. Here's how old he is: Walt Frazier took his place as point guard for the Salukis . . . .

Reactions: stollcpa
HA HA. After taking kids through 4 year-old "bee" soccer, where everybody follows the ball at top speed, that would be great.

I remember one old man's league . . . nobody ever moved. It was like very accurate pinball. Ball comes into a stationary kicker, and zoom, it comes back out . . . nobody ever made any kind of run . . . .

Maybe you can tell a soccer player by their age . . . the closer to the ball they are, the younger they have to be . . . .
Hilariously perfect description

McMurtry and Hoops:

I have run out of popcorn.

One or both of you guys might try to post a short mathematical example of what the hell you're saying. The stats terminology you are using sounds hopelessly academic. And saying "you posted this or that two hours ago" followed by "no I didn't" and "yes, you did" sounds like, well, sounds exactly like what it sounds like.

Last day I played a competitive game of basketball was 18 years ago . . . I shredded my right Achilles . . .

. . . I know a guy who's in his 70s who still plays competitive pickup basketball. Dude played for Jeffersonville back in the 60s and then for Southern Illinois. Here's how old he is: Walt Frazier took his place as point guard for the Salukis . . . .
Here sope. Over 75.

McMurtry and Hoops:

I have run out of popcorn.

One or both of you guys might try to post a short mathematical example of what the hell you're saying. The stats terminology you are using sounds hopelessly academic. And saying "you posted this or that two hours ago" followed by "no I didn't" and "yes, you did" sounds like, well, sounds exactly like what it sounds like.

I don't care enough. I knew better than to engage in anything with hoops. I'm done. My point has always been recalcitrant republicans are but one of many groups responsible for not getting vaccinated.

To focus solely on one party for anything is foolish and demonstrates little understanding. Further I shouldn't have posted at all bc I don't care about who isn't vaccinated.

Is this the old guy who does halftime shows to upbeat music, shooting nothing but three-pointers and drilling, like, 40 % of them?

I don't care enough. I knew better than to engage in anything with hoops. I'm done. My point has always been recalcitrant republicans are but one of many groups responsible for not getting vaccinated.

To focus solely on one party for anything is foolish and demonstrates little understanding. Further I shouldn't have posted at all bc I don't care about who isn't vaccinated.
I'm surprised. Both you guys seemed well-versed in the numbers you thought the other guy was ignoring.

Oh well. Maybe some good IPA (Zombie Dust or Bass) awaits your afternoon.

How long did it take for your achilles to heal? Does it still give you trouble?

Pretty cool the guy still playing. I can remember when I thought 63 was near death. I just turned 63 August 2nd and really don’t feel any different than 43 unless I look in mirror. I am sure if I ran up and down the court a few times I’d know the difference.

When I do the treadmill test with my cardiologist they can’t get my heart beat high enough without injecting me with a med to speed it up.

How long did it take for your achilles to heal? Does it still give you trouble?

Pretty cool the guy still playing. I can remember when I thought 63 was near death. I just turned 63 August 2nd and really don’t feel any different than 43 unless I look in mirror. I am sure if I ran up and down the court a few times I’d know the difference.

When I do the treadmill test with my cardiologist they can’t get my heart beat high enough without injecting me with a med to speed it up.
8 years. It wasn't snapped, it was partially shredded, and the only symptom I had was a bump on the inside of the ankle. I went in and had it looked at, and the orthopedic put me in orthotics that were from hell. Wore those for about 5 years and then self-administered a different solution . . . I bought bigger and bigger shoes as my feet flattened out. Doesn't bother me at all unless I over-exercise, and then I get just a slight tightening of the muscles near the tendon - probably would have had that anyway. I can walk a hilly 18 holes just fine.

Reactions: stollcpa
Is this the old guy who does halftime shows to upbeat music, shooting nothing but three-pointers and drilling, like, 40 % of them?
Dunno. I doubt it.

This guy was 5'8" and would climb my back for a rebound, every damned time no matter how well I blocked him off. He also ran 6 miles a day . . . and still might for all I know. D1 athletes are different . . . they can do things mere mortals like us can't.

I know another guy - from Iowa - who played guard on the basketball team at Yale back in the 60s . . . he was a nearly world class marathoner; 2:26 in his 40s while working full time. Now he still runs some, and watches his grandsons compete in cross country and track. Different level of athleticism that most of us can only speculate what it'd be like.

Not meant to take sides or preach to anyone. Just telling a story that’s happening close to me.

We have a group of 12-15 guys at Evansville that play golf together quite often at Oak Meadow Country Club.

One gentleman hasn’t played with us in over a year but is close friends with a few of the guys. He’s laying in the hospital for the 11th day in a coma. He has Covid.

He, his wife and another couple went to Naples FL on vacation a couple weeks ago. The last day there he started feeling ill. Upon returning to Evansville he went to the hospital and has been in a coma since.

His wife and the other couple are all fine and never got Covid. They are all vaccinated.

Our golf buddy is an ardent antivax person. He doesn’t have the vaccine.
Prayers for your golf buddy.

I am amazed by the amount of people that are anti-vaxers. Their lack of trust in the government and what is in the vaccine is what I have heard as to why they will not get a shot.

Don't get me wrong I believe we all have a choice as to whether we get a shot or not, but we have lost a lot of people in our area because they refuse to get the shot.

Prayers for your golf buddy.

I am amazed by the amount of people that are anti-vaxers. Their lack of trust in the government and what is in the vaccine is what I have heard as to why they will not get a shot.

Don't get me wrong I believe we all have a choice as to whether we get a shot or not, but we have lost a lot of people in our area because they refuse to get the shot.
I'm not sure what to make of this, but your post inspired me to look up Daviess county in particular and Indiana vaccine rates by county in general.

Daviess county has 102 covid deaths per the Indiana covid dashboard, which amounts to 30 covid deaths per 10,000 in population. Indiana as a state has suffered 19 covid deaths per 10,000, so Daviess has been hit about 50% harder by the virus than the average Indiana county.

Daviess county also sits at a lowly 28.34% of it's population being fully vaccinated. In fact only Lagrange county is worse, sitting at 19.55%

Oddly though, Daviess county only has 6 covid deaths since Feb. 1st and just 3 since St. Patrick's Day. Lagrange county is even odder still, with only 2 covid deaths since Feb 1. These two poorly vaccinated counties have seen their combined covid death rate fall, from 24 per 10,000 in the first 11 months of the pandemic, all the way down to 1 per 10,000 in the last 7 months.

Last edited:
I'm not sure what to make of this, but your post inspired me to look up Daviess county in particular and Indiana vaccine rates by county in general.

Daviess county has 102 covid deaths per the Indiana covid dashboard, which amounts to 30 covid deaths per 10,000 in population. Indiana as a state has suffered 19 covid deaths per 10,000, so Daviess has been hit about 50% harder by the virus than the average Indiana county.

Daviess county also sits at a lowly 28.34% of it's population being fully vaccinated. In fact only Lagrange county is worse, sitting at 19.55%

Oddly though, Daviess county only has 6 covid deaths since Feb. 1st and just 3 since St. Patrick's Day. Lagrange county is even odder still, with only 2 covid deaths since Feb 1. These two poorly vaccinated counties have seen their combined covid death rate fall, from 24 per 10,000 in the first 11 months of the pandemic, all the way down to 1 per 10,000 in the last 7 months.
The high Amish population probably is a factor reflected in those numbers.

Reactions: Paterfamilias

Both Lagrange and Daviess County have large Amish Communities. I know Amish that have been vaccinated but I’d guess the number is small. Covid raged through our Amish Community in 2020. I don’t remember the exact time frame. I think it was late summer or early fall.

I am at my friend’s house south of Bloomington today. She was just on the phone with her sister. Her sister’s friend just came off a ventilator to find out her husband died of Covid while she was on the ventilator.

Both Lagrange and Daviess County have large Amish Communities. I know Amish that have been vaccinated but I’d guess the number is small. Covid raged through our Amish Community in 2020. I don’t remember the exact time frame. I think it was late summer or early fall.

I am at my friend’s house south of Bloomington today. She was just on the phone with her sister. Her sister’s friend just came off a ventilator to find out her husband died of Covid while she was on the ventilator.
If I assume that no Amish are vaccinated in those two counties and remove the Amish population altogether, Daviess would still come in at 31% vaccinated, while Lagrange comes in at 29%. So both would remain in the bottom 6 counties along with: Jay, Adams, Miami and Switzerland.

I was wondering if there was maybe a problem with reporting deaths as Covid deaths among the Amish, but as I've already noted Daviess was well above average for the state in deaths per 10,000 and Lagrange was right at the state average... so I don't know. I'm going to check some of these other counties to see if a pattern emerges or if it's just coincidental.

If I assume that no Amish are vaccinated in those two counties, Daviess would still come in at 31% vaccinated, while Lagrange comes in at 29%. So both would remain in the bottom 6 counties along with: Jay, Adams, Miami and Switzerland.

I was wondering if there was maybe a problem with reporting deaths as Covid deaths among the Amish, but as I've already noted Daviess was well above average for the state in deaths per 10,000 and Lagrange was right at the state average... so I don't know. I'm going to check some of these other counties to see if a pattern emerges or if it's just coincidental.
Some Amish are getting vaccinated. I don’t think there is any problem with Covid deaths being reported on the Amish. There is however a huge problem with Amish being part of the stats of those testing positive. They for the most part don’t test and they don’t get treated unless it gets bad.

Hey Mark...
One would have to compare the death rates between the Amish and the English during one of the peak periods to see how much of a factor that might play.
I think he did.

He did a crude pre and post vaccination availability comparison. A comparison between Amish and English for say July 2020 or November 2020 would tell us much more.
Agree, there is only so much that can be gleaned from the data we have right now. Starting at Feb. 1st and going forward misses all of the peaks. My main point here is that there is a mismatch between data and experience/narrative.

For example; the post that I originally responded to said that they were seeing a lot of lost life in his area due to vaccine refusal. However, when I looked at what I assumed to be the posters home county, sure enough there was a lot of vaccine refusal, but there has also only been 2 covid deaths in that county since St. Patrick's day.

Reactions: DANC and UncleMark
For example; the post that I originally responded to said that they were seeing a lot of lost life in his area due to vaccine refusal. However, when I looked at what I assumed to be the posters home county, sure enough there was a lot of vaccine refusal, but there has also only been 2 covid deaths in that county since St. Patrick's day.

That's the problem with anecdotal evidence. Risks appear much larger the closer they get.

That said, I don't think we've peaked yet. What's happening in the South may be our future. Vaccine uptake is going to have to increase drastically to ward off another spike in hospitalizations and deaths.

The actual dead tree newspaper this morning that stoll linked was stark -- it showed the living vaccinated wife's picture in a red box, and the dead unvaccinated husband's in a black box, labeled Vacinnated, She Lived and Unvaccinated, He Died.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
He did a crude pre and post vaccination availability comparison. A comparison between Amish and English for say July 2020 or November 2020 would tell us much more.
Your dates are the right time frame. Reliable numbers from the Amish are difficult if not impossible.

Northern Indiana Amish would reap more good data than Southern Indiana.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT