ADVERTISEMENT

Covid, And A Hard Reality Never Discussed.

i'vegotwinners

Hall of Famer
Dec 1, 2006
something that needs debating that is not being debated, is the reality that we need to look at age segregation as a national/international strategy.

a vaccine could be 2, 4, 10 yrs out, if that quick, so not a good basket to put all our "back to normal" eggs in.

reality is, those 35 or 40 and under are at little risk, and shouldn't have their lives indefinitely on hold to insulate the older.

universities need to look at a school yr where many students stay on campus/in town for the whole school yr, if their parents are older.

those post HS age but still young with older parents, need to move out from home and stay out, if they want freed as well.

advantages,

those under the age of danger but old enough and able to live on their own, need to acquire the virus asap, thus some immunity and a probable lessening of future infection, while they are still young.

this will give a "heard immunity" factor to a great percent of the population, and a strong base for front line workforce and possibly antibodies transfusions, if proven effective.

this will free the young and provide a "normal times" customer base for business.

once reliable, older people can take antibodies tests that reveal if they have had it, and if/once they have, they can join the freed population as well if not cohabitating with olders who haven't yet had it.

if one older has had it though, good chance their older cohabitant has as well.

give olders first dibs on the serological antibodies tests while of limited supply.

once supply allows, (what should be priority 1 for a war time manufacturing agenda), test the younger as well.

those who have the right antibodies will make a great labor force for nursing homes and other health industry jobs where that antibodies condition will make them valuable.

slowly but surely more and more at risk age persons will test positive for already having it, can join the freed, and thus the "freed normal times" percent of the population will grow with every day, week, month, that transpires.

and the olders who haven't yet tested positive will be no worse off than they are now, but will be safer with each day as the antibodies percent of population continually grows, and stop being as great a transmission threat when the at risk group does venture out.

this will lead to a "controlled" ever growing heard immunity acquisition situation without endangering olders any more than now, and not jail those now who aren't at risk, and jump start the economy, especially small business, and give a hope to olders who can also join the freed, once they test positive.

if a reliable and safe vaccine comes along in the meantime, great.

but a sole strategy that relies on development of an effective and safe vaccine, is not a smart way to go..

disclaimer,

i'm old.

Last edited:
1r5pbd.jpg

My favorite "Heard Immunity"

"those under the age of danger but old enough and able to live on their own, need to acquire the virus asap, thus some immunity and a probable lessening of future infection, while they are still young.

this will give a "heard immunity" factor to a great percent of the population, and a strong base for front line workforce and possibly antibodies transfusions, if proven effective."

https://www.webmd.com/vaccines/news/20181130/what-herd-immunity-and-how-does-it-protect-us

something that needs debating that is not being debated, is the reality that we need to look at age segregation as a national/international strategy.

a vaccine could be 2, 4, 10 yrs out, if that quick, so not a good basket to put all our "back to normal" eggs in.

reality is, those 35 or 40 and under are at little risk, and shouldn't have their lives indefinitely on hold to insulate the older.

universities need to look at a school yr where many students stay on campus/in town for the whole school yr, if their parents are older.

those post HS age but still young with older parents, need to move out from home and stay out, if they want freed as well.

advantages,

those under the age of danger but old enough and able to live on their own, need to acquire the virus asap, thus some immunity and a probable lessening of future infection, while they are still young.

this will give a "heard immunity" factor to a great percent of the population, and a strong base for front line workforce and possibly antibodies transfusions, if proven effective.

this will free the young and provide a "normal times" customer base for business.

once reliable, older people can take antibodies tests that reveal if they have had it, and if/once they have, they can join the freed population as well if not cohabitating with olders who haven't yet had it.

give olders first dibs on the serological antibodies tests while of limited supply.

once supply allows, (what should be priority 1 for a war time manufacturing agenda), test the younger as well.

those who have the right antibodies will make a great labor force for nursing homes and other health industry jobs where that antibodies condition will make them valuable.

slowly but surely more and more at risk age persons will test positive for already having it, can join the freed, and thus the "freed normal times" percent of the population will grow with every day, week, month, that transpires.

and the olders who haven't yet tested positive will be no worse off than they are now, but will be safer with each day as the antibodies percent of population continually grows, and stop being as great a transmission threat when the at risk group does venture out.

this will lead to a "controlled" ever growing heard immunity acquisition situation without endangering olders any more than now, and not jail those now who aren't at risk, and jump start the economy, especially small business, and give a hope to olders who can also join the freed, once they test positive.

but a sole strategy that relies on development of an effective and safe vaccine, is not a smart way to go..
Keep the second sentence and the last sentence of your post and trash everything else. The second and last sentences master the obvious, but they don't make you sound like a complete idiot.

Reactions: skippy1813
Keep the second sentence and the last sentence of your post and trash everything else. The second and last sentences master the obvious, but they don't make you sound like a complete idiot.

if you or others wish to debate anything i said, go for it.

when you don't, it's assumed you have no valid rebut. (which you and others above obviously don't, or you have played your cards rather than folding and cursing the dealer).

let us know when you guys figure out a vaccine is nowhere in sight, and not a guarantee ever.

waiting for one while twiddling our thumps is not a great strategy while the game clock never stops.

pursuing other strategies just in case a miracle doesn't happen within yrs, doesn't impede pursuing a vaccine one bit, and is the only sane strategy.

if you have a better idea, go for it.

Last edited:

advantages,

This is a joke, right?

advantages,

disclaimer,

i'm old.

Just a question, but who is gonna coach the kids?

Are you letting Coach K, Calipari, Roy Williams and the rest of the coaches over the age of 55 just get it? That's not even including all the assistants in college basketball.

A virus has a different kind of intelligence that our feeble minds can’t relate to. A virus alters it’s make-up over time such that a vaccine is no longer effective, otherwise we wouldn’t still be searching for a vaccine. Man is frightened by ancient DNA/RNA that can only be slowed, but not totally controlled. To keep the masses calm, we are fed hope of a magic “pill”, if you will, to protect us from further harm. Such is the novelty of the little bug that drops us to our knees at the command of a sneeze. It will come back, but with a name, never the same.

Isn’t life strange? Yes, Virginia, it certainly is because what it seems is not truly what it is and what it is we have no clue, do you? Dr Fauci doesn’t know the answer, nor Mr and Mrs Gates. No governing body on Earth knows exactly what to do. Basically, our species is just trying to ride this one out, with everyone being defensive and on edge. May this God and universe have mercy on us all, great and small. Man is not greater than nature, it only seems that way through the evolution of ego and the thoughts we’re told. Our reality is only one of a seemingly infinite number of realities, unique to each species. Every reality changes in time with time an invention of Man we don’t understand because time constantly changes, too, like this COVID-19 virus among us.

Now, if you’ll please excuse me, I need to go clean my garage before transforming to dust in the wind prior to reassembly once again. It’s in blind allegiance to societal norms that bring me back to carry on. How organized is your world? Is it tidy enough for the true you? The war against entropy must go on as this virus tries to tear us all apart, much like the fart in silence never heard, yet deadly in it’s natural ability to creat social distancing, a scattering of the species until that deadly air is no longer there, as we once knew of it.

Consider yourselves saved by the bell on your own carousel, cause this boy’s gotta take a piss, hit or miss.

if you or others wish to debate anything i said, go for it.

when you don't, it's assumed you have no valid rebut. (which you and others above obviously don't, or you have played your cards rather than folding and cursing the dealer).

let us know when you guys figure out a vaccine is nowhere in sight, and not a guarantee ever.

waiting for one while twiddling our thumps is not a great strategy while the game clock never stops.

pursuing other strategies just in case a miracle doesn't happen within yrs, doesn't impede pursuing a vaccine one bit, and is the only sane strategy.

if you have a better idea, go for it.

I must admit I had to stop reading your first post. Having seen some of the responses I will reply to your request for debate. Below are some direct quotes that seem frightening
1. freed population Seems like we are imprisoning people
2. those 35 or 40 and under are at little risk, Not completely true. What if the 35 year old had diabetes, asthma, on dialysis?
3. students stay on campus/in town for the whole school yr, if their parents are older. Seems as if we are forcibly splitting families
4. those post HS age but still young with older parents, need to move out from home and stay out. Seems as if we are forcibly splitting families
5. those under the age of danger but old enough and able to live on their own, need to acquire the virus asap. We actually used to do this with chicken pox. Kids who did not have the disease would play with kids who did so they would become infected.
6. they can join the freed population. Wow, Freed?

I must admit I had to stop reading your first post. Having seen some of the responses I will reply to your request for debate. Below are some direct quotes that seem frightening
2. those 35 or 40 and under are at little risk, Not completely true. What if the 35 year old had diabetes, asthma, on dialysis?
3. students stay on campus/in town for the whole school yr, if their parents are older. Seems as if we are forcibly splitting families
4. those post HS age but still young with older parents, need to move out from home and stay out. Seems as if we are forcibly splitting families
5. those under the age of danger but old enough and able to live on their own, need to acquire the virus asap. We actually used to do this with chicken pox. Kids who did not have the disease would play with kids who did so they would become infected.
This whole things smells to me like an overreaction. I wonder how we would be today if from day one, isolating oneself was on a strictly voluntary basis. Those who do choose to keep working, are to be heavily protected with masks, sanitizers, latex gloves and distancing where possible. The most vulnerable to this virus, for the most part, are already retired and not working. They can stay at home if they choose, along with the immune compromised younger ones who don't want to chance it. What we're doing now is basically shutting down the nearly total functioning of Mankind in order to save a relatively few. Those relatively few are the ones who have already had the pleasure of living life, almost to the fullest. These words might seem callous, but I just think we could have handled it differently and wouldn't be any worse off, and maybe better by now. Over population is the reason our quality of life has decreased for so many. We can't feed the world's population adequately now so we feed them crap, processed, fast food and then bitch about our inadequate healthcare delivery system. In a sense, we're solving one problem at the same time we're adding to another. I know, of course, the old comeback, "Yes, but if it was YOUR grandfather at risk..." Has anyone thought to ask grandpa if he's okay with it? I bet a bunch would reply to the younger generation, keep on living kids, life is too valuable of a thing to waste valuable time on the old fogies in life. BTW, I'm an old fogey. This quarantine isn't that much of a change from the way my life has been for the last 9 years, and I don't consider that such a bad thing. Oh, and I apologize for my redundancy in thought. I keep trying to clarify my thinking by spitting out the mud in mind.

Just a question, but who is gonna coach the kids?

Are you letting Coach K, Calipari, Roy Williams and the rest of the coaches over the age of 55 just get it? That's not even including all the assistants in college basketball.

where did i say anything about anyone coaching anyone?

that said, as to your hypothetical, if schools want to have sports, better to have them coached by younger coaches, than not have sports at all.

and don't ban all spectators just because older fans who haven't tested positive for antibodies shouldn't go, and need to watch on tv at home..

we need to acknowledge there are 2 Covid universes, young and old people, and plan our response strategy accepting that reality, which can be done in everyone's best interests.

where did i say anything about anyone coaching anyone?

that said, as to your hypothetical, if schools want to have sports, better to have them coached by younger coaches, than not have sports at all.

and don't ban all spectators just because older fans who haven't tested positive for antibodies shouldn't go, and need to watch on tv at home..

we need to acknowledge there are 2 Covid universes, young and old people, and plan our response strategy accepting that reality, which can be done in everyone's best interests.

I was simply asking a question about who would be coaching said players, since on this board, Archie gets a ton of the blame.

There's more to this then the players are young, they can fight this off. There's arena staff, officials, trainers, coaches, ect. There's a lot that goes into this. And then talking about fans is on a whole other level.

There's gonna be a lot of planning that needs to go on to make this thing safe for everyone.

Reactions: minneman

th

i'm not forcing anyone to do anything.

just mandating that if a younger person wants to re-enter "normal" society with others not at risk, that they no longer live at home with olders or have contact with them.

if they would rather stay living with their older parents, they are more than welcome to..

they just can't re-enter normal society and still live at home with their older parents/grandparents who aren't antibodies positive.

they must choose one or the other.

that said, if the olders in the house are fine with it, that's their choice, but if so, the olders have to isolate from other olders who haven't chosen so.

and yes Mr Obvious, youngers with at risk health conditions need to behave according to their risk group, not just on their age.

DUH!

Last edited:
I was simply asking a question about who would be coaching said players, since on this board, Archie gets a ton of the blame.

There's more to this then the players are young, they can fight this off. There's arena staff, officials, trainers, coaches, ect. There's a lot that goes into this. And then talking about fans is on a whole other level.

There's gonna be a lot of planning that needs to go on to make this thing safe for everyone.

really dude, how unbelievably stupid are you.

the show can go on with the olders, including staff, officials, etc, watching from home.

people under 35 or 40 are quite capable.

that said, i'm not mandating sports at all.

my opening post didn't mention sports at all.

universities can exist without sports.

but under 35s are quite capable of handling things, and students can handle the in hall tv side.

olders can direct them as needed from safe harbor, without being on the front lines.

Last edited:
This whole things smells to me like an overreaction. I wonder how we would be today if from day one, isolating oneself was on a strictly voluntary basis. Those who do choose to keep working, are to be heavily protected with masks, sanitizers, latex gloves and distancing where possible. The most vulnerable to this virus, for the most part, are already retired and not working. They can stay at home if they choose, along with the immune compromised younger ones who don't want to chance it. What we're doing now is basically shutting down the nearly total functioning of Mankind in order to save a relatively few. Those relatively few are the ones who have already had the pleasure of living life, almost to the fullest. These words might seem callous, but I just think we could have handled it differently and wouldn't be any worse off, and maybe better by now. Over population is the reason our quality of life has decreased for so many. We can't feed the world's population adequately now so we feed them crap, processed, fast food and then bitch about our inadequate healthcare delivery system. In a sense, we're solving one problem at the same time we're adding to another. I know, of course, the old comeback, "Yes, but if it was YOUR grandfather at risk..." Has anyone thought to ask grandpa if he's okay with it? I bet a bunch would reply to the younger generation, keep on living kids, life is too valuable of a thing to waste valuable time on the old fogies in life. BTW, I'm an old fogey. This quarantine isn't that much of a change from the way my life has been for the last 9 years, and I don't consider that such a bad thing. Oh, and I apologize for my redundancy in thought. I keep trying to clarify my thinking by spitting out the mud in mind.

yes, it did sound, and was, callous.

that said, it was a false choice, so you would have done better not bringing it up at all.

younger people willing to cut contact with olders can re-enter normal society without putting olders anymore at risk than they now are, and once youngers acquire heard immunity, their re entering normal society actually makes olders safer, though providing a buffer when olders do venture out, by providing a non virus carrying labor force for front line workers, and by providing a large antibodies transfusion candidate population, if such transfusions prove effective in treating infected olders and at risk.

that said, it was a false choice, so you would have done better not bringing it up at all.

younger people willing to cut contact with olders can re-enter normal society without putting olders anymore at risk than they now are, and once youngers acquire heard immunity, their re entering normal society actually makes olders safer, though providing a buffer when olders do venture out, by providing a non virus carrying labor force for front line workers, and by providing a large antibodies transfusion candidate population, if such transfusions prove effective in treating infected olders and at risk.

You need to research herd immunity and see how many would need to get infected for that to be a viable option.

It's not gonna work in time for this basketball season.

You need to research herd immunity and see how many would need to get infected for that to be a viable option.

It's not gonna work in time for this basketball season.

you're a total and complete moron, or a troll, or both.

no one said anything about heard immunity by basketball season.

you seem to really struggle with basic concepts and analytical thinking.

not to mention reading comprehension.

and why do you insist all people should just kill themselves? (see, i can just make stuff up too).

Thank you for setting me straight. Have you ever considered a career in epidemiology? They say old epidemiologists never die, they just don't count anymore.

Reactions: Cavanagh

and why do you insist all people should just kill themselves? (see, i can just make stuff up too).
The irony.

Also, shouldn't this be in the Water Cooler or somewhere other than here?

Last edited:

advantages,

disclaimer,

i'm old.

ae71ee90-c51a-4334-9a6a-abcdb26d3894_text.gif

Apologies.

I thought you were talking about this upcoming season.

And where did I say anything about killing anyone? I simply said you need to do some research on "herd" immunity and how many the virus would need to infect to become effective. Nowhere did I say anything about killing people. Maybe a little reading composition would do you some good.

ADVERTISEMENT