ADVERTISEMENT

Couple of good holiday recommendations: The Imitation Game, I thought was

kkott

Hall of Famer
Oct 26, 2001
excellent. One of the better movies I've seen in awhile. We also saw The Theory of Everything, and while I thought it was good, it wasn't as good as I hoped. It would make a good rental. The Imitation Game was griping, and while a long movie, it held my interest and I was surprised how late it was when it was over. My kids, 16 and 18, liked it too.

I also got a really good book for xmas: In the Kingdom of Ice. Non-fiction about American Naval Captain and Explorer, George DeLong, and his attempt to reach the North Pole. I'm only about 60% done, but it is extremely well-written and a terrific story. If you're looking for a good read, give it a shot. I thought it would be very dark and depressing (being stuck in the ice for 18 months in the Arctic?), but the author (Hampton Sides) does a great job of relating the cultural climate both in the US and world at the time (1870-80s) and pulling in the personal and historical aspects as well. Doubt it will make a great movie, so pick up the book if you have time.

This post was edited on 12/29 4:45 PM by kkott

I heard this book being discussed on npr a couple months ago. Sounded fascinating. May pick that up now you've reminded me of it
Posted from Rivals Mobile

finished it last night and really enjoyed it. It was up there with In

the Garden of Beasts for me. Let me know if you like it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT