ADVERTISEMENT

"Couldn't guard a chair."

It's not that JBJ couldn't guard a chair, it's the fact that he was never required to, so he wasn't going to put forth anymore effort than required.

Streaky shooter, slow a foot and lazy won't get you any playing time in the pros.

Reactions: jake7769 and Lucy01
It's not that JBJ couldn't guard a chair, it's the fact that he was never required to, so he wasn't going to put forth anymore effort than required.

Streaky shooter, slow a foot and lazy won't get you any playing time in the pros.

Lazy people come back from multiple knee injuries like JBJ had. SMH

His knee injuries have nothing to do with the fact that he had zero interest in putting the same effort into defending that he did into his shooting nor was he required to do so. It's on both him and his idiot coach. You can go back to shaking your head now.

You have no business calling a kid lazy. You have no idea of his injuries and affect on his play. I was around him a good deal when our sons crossed paths in AAU ball. He was a great kid who worked hard. No punk behavior on the court and great teammate. So yes I will shake my head at supposed fans like you making personal attacks against kids.

The early loss of Blackmon hurts our team, but that isn't a reason to find fault with him at this point. Maybe it serves to lessen the pain. Personally, I would love to have him back one more season, even if he couldn't guard that proverbial chair that never moves. It's his team high scoring we'll miss, his "lights out" drilling of those three pointers that stick daggers into the hearts of the opposition.

The early loss of Blackmon hurts our team, but that isn't a reason to find fault with him at this point. Maybe it serves to lessen the pain. Personally, I would love to have him back one more season, even if he couldn't guard that proverbial chair that never moves. It's his team high scoring we'll miss, his "lights out" drilling of those three pointers that stick daggers into the hearts of the opposition.
I'm somewhat conflicted on Blackmon leaving. As an upperclassman, and a shooter, and a talent, and a scorer he will be missed. But, he was somewhat streaky in scoring...sometimes could save an abysmal showing in a game by him and by the team.

But his defense was lacking, definitely. Oh, he showed that, at times, he could help on defense, but his opponents could and did leave him out in left field. Well the whole team was lost on defense for the majority of some games. He was no A.J. Moye. More like Troy.

What was really perplexing was that they could look good but then, as the B1G games came and went IU faded. Almost every year.

I thank JBJr for his contribution. But his play was not consistent. Injuries, maybe. Wish him well.

In the long run I think that IU will be better...

In the long run I think that IU will be better...
Sure we'll be better in the long run without him, after all, he only had one season of college ball left in him. It's the short run where he'll be missed. Let's just say I think Archie was probably feeling a little down after the announcement, coming on the boot heels of OG and Bryant's decisions. Let's just leave it at that. Now, if Robert Johnson doesn't say he's coming back soon, that's a whole different story!

Sure we'll be better in the long run without him, after all, he only had one season of college ball left in him. It's the short run where he'll be missed. Let's just say I think Archie was probably feeling a little down after the announcement, coming on the boot heels of OG and Bryant's decisions. Let's just leave it at that. Now, if Robert Johnson doesn't say he's coming back soon, that's a whole different story!

Which Robert Johnson? The 2015-16 Robert Johnson? Or the 2016-17 Robert Johnson?

I have high hopes that RoJo will return to his 2015-16 form with the new coaching staff on board and JBj's departure. I have no idea what influence, if any, JBj's dominance of the ball while he was on the court might've impacted RoJo . . . my sense is that it did impact him in part because they're more like the same player than different players, and JBj's departure will give him more room to play that role in his own way.

Reactions: Shuski
His knee injuries have nothing to do with the fact that he had zero interest in putting the same effort into defending that he did into his shooting nor was he required to do so. It's on both him and his idiot coach. You can go back to shaking your head now.

JBJ moving on is best for all involved. With Crean he could jack up all the shots he wanted but that was not going to happen under Miller. I do not think he would have been a good fit with the new coach imo.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Which Robert Johnson? The 2015-16 Robert Johnson? Or the 2016-17 Robert Johnson?

I have high hopes that RoJo will return to his 2015-16 form with the new coaching staff on board and JBj's departure. I have no idea what influence, if any, JBj's dominance of the ball while he was on the court might've impacted RoJo . . . my sense is that it did impact him in part because they're more like the same player than different players, and JBj's departure will give him more room to play that role in his own way.

There are rumblings Johnson may not come back. I for one think the fact he has not withdrawn as of yet does make it seem possible he is thinking about the D league. I would not be shocked if he is gone but a lot of you think it is 100% a done deal he is coming back as you have him penciled into the starting lineup.

If he was not going to buy into the system he will not be missed.

I get the feeling JBJ was toxic to the team. More often than not we did better without him. He thought he was above playing defense. He thinks his s*** dont stink. Too bad he doesnt have a daddy like LaVar Ball. He will be in the NBDL for 3 years then in Europe or Asia for the rest of his career.

You have no business calling a kid lazy. You have no idea of his injuries and affect on his play. I was around him a good deal when our sons crossed paths in AAU ball. He was a great kid who worked hard. No punk behavior on the court and great teammate. So yes I will shake my head at supposed fans like you making personal attacks against kids.

What are you complaining about? The reputation assault for kids who leave early is a time-honored tradition around here. I guess you hate tradition too?

I'm sure everyone here would have put aside the chance to make a payday while risking what would for JBJ (or OG) be a pro career killing injury, for the opportunity to put on the Cream and Crimson for one more season for free (yes, I know the value of a scholly to IU)! Good luck James, I'm happy with the coaching change and think that's the long term fix to our struggles. Not having James back for one more season.

Reactions: minneman
There is one person on IU's roster that matters: Archie Miller. Archie can go out and recruit other players.

Can't blame JBJ for going out and trying to earn a living playing basketball while his knees will allow it. However, I don't think JBJ was athletic enough before his knee injuries for the NBA: he will probably end up overseas, which isn't chopped liver. His D could have been a lot better in college under the right coach and if he bought in, though. The Bracey Wright comparison is spot on.

Blackmons post- injury defense has became a piñata for fans & their personal feelings who refuse to change their minds in life even when they've been shown otherwise on something ....aka stubborn.

This thread is going places!
Well, I guess it did. Sorry this didn't meet your failed expectations and snippy comments. As to Blackman, before and after his knee issues he's a great shooter but never could "guard a chair". Wish him well, good for him graduating and excited for Miller Time! Time to play some defense and put games like GT looonnnggggg behind this team.

I expect he will play enough defense to play professionally. Being a 6'-3 SG in the NBA may be more of a liability than his effort.

I get the feeling JBJ was toxic to the team. More often than not we did better without him. He thought he was above playing defense. He thinks his s*** dont stink. Too bad he doesnt have a daddy like LaVar Ball. He will be in the NBDL for 3 years then in Europe or Asia for the rest of his career.
Yet, at the same time if he had returned for his senior year we all would have welcomed him with open arms, toxicity and all! This first season could be a trying one for Archie.
A lot of potential firepower for the season has been lost to the NBA. We went from being a potential Final Four team to being one of hoping to make the tournament. Sound familiar? It's going to take a couple years here.

Have fun and continue to clown on the kid, but he was really good IU basketball player. Also, we are going to miss him a bunch next year when we are looking to score points and our number 1 option is RJ or a sophomore big man who averaged 6 points a game.

JBJ was one of IU's greatest shooters of all time, he never got in trouble, represented the university well and is now a fellow alum. Show the kid some damn respect or take your bullshit to a Kentucky or Purdue board.

Last edited:
Why would he want to guard a chair unless it was to keep it from Coach Knight. I don't know where he was as far as finishing his degree. I wish he was coming back but I don't see any benefit to him coming back if he has a degree or is only a couple of classes from it.

I don't know where he was as far as finishing his degree. I wish he was coming back but I don't see any benefit to him coming back if he has a degree or is only a couple of classes from it.
What's up with so many basketball players finishing their degrees in three years? They never used to do that when I was in school.

They stay all summer and take classes. Kids today can come into college with around 15 college credits before they ever get to college.
The NBA appears to be ruining our team about as much an anyone's for next season. Holy Moly it's going to be a struggle if we lose four players to early graduation/NBA. Our worse nightmare for Archie and fans may come true.

Our worse nightmare for Archie and fans may come true.

Worse than what? Glass dropping the BB program? If you mean worst, that would be AH getting hit with an ICBM fired from Lexington or Lafayette, something truly devastating rather than simply melancholy. So much dramatic license is going to make for a really long off-season around here...

Reactions: IU Hardcore
Worse than what? Glass dropping the BB program? If you mean worst, that would be AH getting hit with an ICBM fired from Lexington or Lafayette, something truly devastating rather than simply melancholy. So much dramatic license is going to make for a really long off-season around here...
I was referring to all the "nightmare" speculation since the season ended, as to who may and who may not leave early for the NBA. If RJ does, indeed, leave for the D-League, that would make 4 out of 4 players leaving of those who opted to "sniff the waters". That would prove to be a worse case scenario, of this particular scenario.

I was referring to all the "nightmare" speculation since the season ended, as to who may and who may not leave early for the NBA. If RJ does, indeed, leave for the D-League, that would make 4 out of 4 players leaving of those who opted to "sniff the waters". That would prove to be a worse case scenario, of this particular scenario.

Got it, but it's still "worst" that you're after. In any case I think RoJo sticks.

I'm saying it has been reported here on Hoosier.com as him having hired an agent. If true, then yes I will say he is definitely leaving.

You guys do know there's a tweet where JBJ said goodbye?

Reactions: Lucy01
Have fun and continue to clown on the kid, but he was really good IU basketball player. Also, we are going to miss him a bunch next year when we are looking to score points and our number 1 option is RJ or a sophomore big man who averaged 6 points a game.

JBJ was one of IU's greatest shooters of all time, he never got in trouble, represented the university well and is now a fella alum. Show the kid some damn respect or take your bullshit to a Kentucky or Purdue board.
Dear old guy,
Please have your nurse give you your meds before giving you your dish of ice cream and sending you back to your room so you can continue to write your love letters to TC. Other than that...

Reactions: dubtown80
Dear old guy,
Please have your nurse give you your meds before giving you your dish of ice cream and sending you back to your room so you can continue to write your love letters to TC. Other than that...

FLASH: his post has nothing to do with TC. And the IU coaching war is over - for most anyway. It was small-minded and nasty thread to start with, sort of tells one something about the OP.

Dear old guy,

Do better. Your first post wasn't funny and doubling down on stupid (I am probably younger than you, so the old guy jokes aren't funny) is't needed. Also, if you read any of my posts, about 90% of them were on how bad of a coach TC was.

Crean could and should have nipped that one in the bud at practice, Day One. One of the hardest things for me to get used to when Knight left was players not being held accountable for poor play/decision making. Head not into the game because you were up too late playing X-box? Bench your tired ass until you're no longer tired!

Reactions: Hoosier in Tokyo
Crean could and should have nipped that one in the bud at practice, Day One. One of the hardest things for me to get used to when Knight left was players not being held accountable for poor play/decision making. Head not into the game because you were up too late playing X-box? Bench your tired ass until you're no longer tired!

I agree 100% with this. I tried to support Crean long after others stopped. It always drove me crazy that there didn't seem to be consequences for poor play.

Reactions: IU Hardcore
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT