ADVERTISEMENT

Cosmic rays and computers

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
This is older, but there is strong evidence that cosmic rays can and do flip bits in computers. It is a bigger problem with spacecraft outside Earth's protection, but it can happen on the ground.

One of the most famous examples was in Belgium where a candidate received 4096 more votes, more votes than was even possible.

It is believed the Toyota sudden acceleration problem a few years ago was caused by this.

Fortunately, error correcting memory can catch bit flips. I just thought this was interesting, the type of failure point no one would have really predicted. Oh, and let's make sure all our nuclear facilities use error correction.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
This is older, but there is strong evidence that cosmic rays can and do flip bits in computers. It is a bigger problem with spacecraft outside Earth's protection, but it can happen on the ground.

One of the most famous examples was in Belgium where a candidate received 4096 more votes, more votes than was even possible.

It is believed the Toyota sudden acceleration problem a few years ago was caused by this.

Fortunately, error correcting memory can catch bit flips. I just thought this was interesting, the type of failure point no one would have really predicted. Oh, and let's make sure all our nuclear facilities use error correction.

Stop

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier

So you’re saying the cosmic rays are a sign that God didn’t want Trump to win?

Reactions: UncleMark

I know what you mean. My device turns to mush whenever I bring up one of cosmic’s posts.

Have they proven a connection yet between cosmic rays and wildfires?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT