ADVERTISEMENT

Corruption trial may affect us.

Victorbmyboy

Hall of Famer
Nov 10, 2014
Schachter offered an exhibit of a text message between Falmagne and Jon Lasko, a member of the board of directors for De Sousa’s AAU team, the Florida Vipers.

“This is from Lasko to Fenny,” Schachter said, reading the text to Kaplan. “‘Fenny, I am in Indiana and Coach Ostrom asked me for an update. They are super willing to do what it takes to recruit Silvio. Is that something of interest for us?’”

Reactions: 02boiler
IU should offer an explanation of what these comments mean, and quickly. Schools will use this against us if not addressed. The local media looks for anything to pounce on when it comes to IU so get ahead of the story.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Schachter offered an exhibit of a text message between Falmagne and Jon Lasko, a member of the board of directors for De Sousa’s AAU team, the Florida Vipers.

“This is from Lasko to Fenny,” Schachter said, reading the text to Kaplan. “‘Fenny, I am in Indiana and Coach Ostrom asked me for an update. They are super willing to do what it takes to recruit Silvio. Is that something of interest for us?’”
I posted that a couple days ago

Don't care anymore.

Creighton...I repeat, Creighton was involved in this stuff. Which means that basically any power 5 conference school probably was too.

I’ve been trying to tell people this for years.

I can’t believe some of our fans still believe in this holier than thou image of IU. It’s total BS.

I can’t believe some of our fans still believe in this holier than thou image of IU. It’s total BS.[/QUOTE]

link?

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Dakich is ranting about it. I have to admit his explanation of Iu's so called investigations is humorous. Don't really know what to make of it at this point though.
I know a lot of you aren't DD fans but he just doesn't want his school to cheat.

Dakich is ranting about it. I have to admit his explanation of Iu's so called investigations is humorous. Don't really know what to make of it at this point though.
I know a lot of you aren't DD fans but he just doesn't want his school to cheat.

There are many other schools implicated to a far more serious degree in this scandal than IU. The NCAA needs to focus there, not on hearsay about a recruit IU never even offered.

What matters to me is not what Schachter says Lasko says or what Schachter says Lasko says Ostrom says. What matters is what Ostrom or someone else at IU says. Also, "what it takes" is too vague to count for anything even if there were direct proof that these are the exact words said.

Reactions: IUgradman
That text exchange is not even a scandal. "What it takes" could be any of 100 legitimate things as well. Could very well be that once they found out that there was a price tag to De Sousa's recruitment that we backed away. Did we even offer the kid a scholarship at any time? If not, how is there a scandal there?

Reactions: jeffwheat69
That text exchange is not even a scandal. "What it takes" could be any of 100 legitimate things as well. Could very well be that once they found out that there was a price tag to De Sousa's recruitment that we backed away. Did we even offer the kid a scholarship at any time? If not, how is there a scandal there?
He never received an offer from Indiana.

Would you feel the same if it where a UK, Duke or other blue blood school? This isn’t good for us. This isn’t going to go away. Even if IU escapes sanctions.

But my personal opinion on this, and call me wrong or whatever....

Has Indiana played dirty before? You bet we have, as has probably virtually every single major basketball school.
This might be the thing that softens sanctions on the whole thing.

I would venture to guess Coach Ostrom has been asked to explain that exchange by Fred, compliance, legal or other higher-up

I would venture to guess Coach Ostrom has been asked to explain that exchange by Fred, compliance, legal or other higher-up

You can bet the condo in Aspen on it. That said, this quote is a universe away actionable fact.

Reactions: echs86
There isn't enough in that quote for anything to come from it, especially considering we never offered the recruit a scholarship or actively recruited him, as far as I can tell.

Reactions: echs86
Would you feel the same if it where a UK, Duke or other blue blood school? This isn’t good for us. This isn’t going to go away. Even if IU escapes sanctions.

yeah, I would feel the same way. Ostrom's words and those of the text could be completely different than the actual conversation that took place. Ostrom could have said, "short of any money or illegal recruiting, we will do what it takes to recruit De Sousa". Also, De Sousa reclassified to last year, if I am correct. that would have been in Archie's first full recruiting class, and think they had other priorities given that De Sousa was NOT even offered a scholarship. If you were going to cheat, more than likely would have put huge money into Romeo, and that apparently wasn't the case.

yeah, I would feel the same way. Ostrom's words and those of the text could be completely different than the actual conversation that took place. Ostrom could have said, "short of any money or illegal recruiting, we will do what it takes to recruit De Sousa". Also, De Sousa reclassified to last year, if I am correct. that would have been in Archie's first full recruiting class, and think they had other priorities given that De Sousa was NOT even offered a scholarship. If you were going to cheat, more than likely would have put huge money into Romeo, and that apparently wasn't the case.
Could be. It does look bad on the surface. Just because De Sousa wasn’t offered does not mean anything funny was not discussed. We will see soon enough and I hope it doesn’t go further.

If this came out about KY, would you be saying the same thing? Most would proclaim them to be dirty as hell. It's all perspective and I doubt anything will actually come from it.
Dakich will light up IU if he sees some hardcore proof. As he should with any school.

Reactions: fpeaugh
There’s not a link to anything yet. Give it time.[/QUOTE]

no, we need a link to this: "I’ve been trying to tell people this for years."

or will this be like the time you said everyone was saying Newkirk would be better than yogi and you went back and pulled one post by one poster that really didn't exactly say that?

i do admit i like your style. it's a shitty M.O. for, say, a President of the United States but makes for good entertainment around here.

or will this be like the time you said everyone was saying Newkirk would be better than yogi and you went back and pulled one post by one poster that really didn't exactly say that?

i do admit i like your style. it's a shitty M.O. for, say, a President of the United States but makes for good entertainment around here.
This board goes back 3-4 years. Ample opportunity to provide something of substance.

There’s not a link to anything yet. Give it time.

Not to mention, "telling people this for years..." "This"? What is "this"? I don't even know why this thread is here. There's nothing here. There's no allegation of anything. There's no quote from anyone related to IU. Just a second hand request from an IU coach about an update on a player we never recruited. The next line (also second hand) about being willing to "do what it takes" doesn't appear to be a quote from anyone... it looks like that's the belief of one person - Lasko. And it has practically no meaning.

There's nothing here to look at. Why is anyone even mentioning it?

Reactions: ROBBOB

They will do what it takes? That means what? I would think it would be attending games, keeping in constant communication, and visiting his home and showing up to events he is attending. There is no mention of anything illegal. If we didn't get this player, why do you think it has any connection with us?

Some of you are obsessed with these proceedings and trying to manufacture something to worry about. I have zero interest or worry about this.

He never received an offer from Indiana.
Something changed if we went from doing what it takes to not offering a scholarship. Maybe a later text was, " It will cost you $200,000 to get him" followed by "No thank you!" from Ostrom.

Again, nothing to see here.

Reactions: echs86 and iu60
I know I'll be in the minority here but honestly I could care less. I haven't even read a thing about it. If Kansas, Duke, and Kentucky do it then we might as well do it too. A lot of you that are against it would be all over Archie if he started losing the top instate kids to those schools.

The way things are at this moment you simply have to do it to land the players to win national championships and I'm sick and tired of watching my alma mater go 500 every year just so we can spew these holier than thou Purdue style excuses

If the NCAA is going to let Carolina get away with fake classes, Louisville get off scott free from here in out after all that bs, coach K's shadyness, Kentucky's 100 year history of cheating and hiring known cheaters then to hell with em. IU just needs to get better at it.

Not to mention, "telling people this for years..." "This"? What is "this"? I don't even know why this thread is here. There's nothing here. There's no allegation of anything. There's no quote from anyone related to IU. Just a second hand request from an IU coach about an update on a player we never recruited. The next line (also second hand) about being willing to "do what it takes" doesn't appear to be a quote from anyone... it looks like that's the belief of one person - Lasko. And it has practically no meaning.

There's nothing here to look at. Why is anyone even mentioning it?
Except one thing. Lasko’s kid was a walk on at IU.

Sounds like this text was just the tip of the iceberg. Looks like a lot more coming unfortunately.

What matters to me is not what Schachter says Lasko says or what Schachter says Lasko says Ostrom says. What matters is what Ostrom or someone else at IU says. Also, "what it takes" is too vague to count for anything even if there were direct proof that these are the exact words said.
Maybe "what it takes" was not what IU does when recruiting? Therefore no offer was made.
Unlike others

Louisville was running a brothel and got a slap on the wrist. Nothing will come of this, unless there is more information. It’s all hearsay.

I’d be surprised if Archie started handing out 10s of thousands of dollars after being at IU for 6 months. I assume/hope he isn’t a dumb ass.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT