ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus, Thoughts, Musings, Observations

Crossblock

Senior
Jan 8, 2019
With the stay in place order, and spending so much at home, I may have too much time on my hands. Here it goes.

1. Been to the store several times this week. At least they had some milk available today, but i was surprised at some of the other things. Virtually no Spaghetti Sauce and Noodles, Very little meat in cases, again no toilet paper.

2. If so many people are living paycheck to paycheck and need a financial subsidy, who are the people who have the funds to buy in such large quantities that they are causing the shortages?

3. Should we close all grocery stores for several days so they can re-stock inventory and we don't have to play "what do they have now" each time we go to the store?

4. Our Catholic Churches are closed indefinitely. However, our priest is holding "Drive Through" Confessions in our Church Parking Lot late Saturday Afternoons.

a. Should there be an Express Lane for 3 Sins or Less?

b. If we are in "Stay In Place" Mode, haven't our opportunities to sin been reduced?

5. Reality has hit our family. My Wife's Birthday is this week. Since last November we have planned a surprise Birthday Party for her that was to have been held today. The Good News is we did such a good job of hiding it and she had no clue we were planning it. The Bad News is that we had to cancel. However we did so early in the week before the food was purchased, and the facility is refunding our rental fee.

6. When you don't have children in your Household, you don't think about certain things. However, these thoughts crossed my mind.

a. The Daughter of a friend of ours is a Senior in high school and will/would graduate in may. With all Schools in Indiana closed until May 1, the best case scenario is that she goes back to class for 3 Weeks and goes through Graduation. Worst Case, Schools don't re-open and there is no formal Graduation Ceremony. It would be like not having a 2nd Semester of your Senior Year, and having no final act to close out your High School Career.

b. The Daughter of a friend of ours has her Wedding scheduled in May. In fact, I think her Bridal Shower was scheduled for today. How long do you wait to determine whether to cancel and re-schedule due to this situation. What happens under the Contracts you have signed and paid for for the Reception Hall, Food Services, and Ancillary Services?

Any other random thoughts from anybody else.

Reactions: tooold4
HS Senior spring-sport athletes hoping for the last chance to get a college scholarship...seasons have been canceled.

SAT and ACT have canceled their next test date...Im sure there are students who need a score to be accepted to a school/be eligible for sports or scholarships

I have a daughter who lives in Brooklyn NY.

New York City is now the epicenter of the outbreak in the USA. She prefers to stay, in case she is infected and doesn't know it, and so as to not go out in the process of traveling.

Pretty stressful, considering some of the dire predictions about health & supply crises in NYC.

I was trying to Enrico Fermi the toilet paper issue....every head of household is buying 2-3x's the normal amount at one single time, but the purchase point is typically every couple months? How long will the toilet paper inventory level get normal again, and once normalized will there be a surplus for awhile? Anyone?

I wonder if I should plant one hell of a garden this year, or will the supply lines remain solid.

I have yet to see any first hand reports of the virus striking any posters on this site, but then maybe trouble breathing takes away the interest in posting on a sports board.

Will Bernie get more support as the country becomes more concerned with health and medical bills?

We watch the athletic events with little or no appreciation of the hard work and practice time involved. Along the same lines, will there be any shifting of priorities as a result of of all this? Will spectator sports make a comeback or are there empty stadiums in the future, certainly ticket prices and contracts will become an issue for ownership and players. If we learn to do without, we do without.

Thank goodness for debit cards, can you imagine a run on the banks? For that matter how are the cash machines holding up?

As for New York and other big cities, it's always been my understanding that once the trucks and railroads stop running it's a matter of days before the shelves are empty.

Yeah I know, gloom and doom, prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I wonder if I should plant one hell of a garden this year, or will the supply lines remain solid.
That's a very interesting observation. I live in the woods and can't plant a garden, but we have community garden space available here. I might want to look into reserving some space there...

I have yet to see any first hand reports of the virus striking any posters on this site, but then maybe trouble breathing takes away the interest in posting on a sports board.
So I'm a male, 59yr old, and have cardiovascular disease along with hypertension. I just found out earlier this week I have a bad heart valve that needs surgically repaired and it's fairly serious. This clearly puts me in a high-risk situation. So I'm really isolating as much as possible. I won't get the consult with the cardiologist or that surgery anytime soon so I'm just in wait and see mode. I guess the thing for me to do is to just work on my health and conditioning and stay away from people.

I live alone. My adult kids and other immediate family all live about 20 miles away. I haven't seen any of them for a few weeks and don't expect to now for who knows how long. I'm working from home now, so I don't have any in-person personal interaction now. My kids and I are using an app to send video messages back and forth. That helps. It's good to see their faces. I'm getting a little stir-crazy. I might start going out and just drive around each day just to see something other than these inside walls of my house.

Your comment about the trucks and trains stopping running is ominous. I hope they don't. They can't, actually, people have to eat. These are crazy, crazy times.

That's a very interesting observation. I live in the woods and can't plant a garden, but we have community garden space available here. I might want to look into reserving some space there...

So I'm a male, 59yr old, and have cardiovascular disease along with hypertension. I just found out earlier this week I have a bad heart valve that needs surgically repaired and it's fairly serious. This clearly puts me in a high-risk situation. So I'm really isolating as much as possible. I won't get the consult with the cardiologist or that surgery anytime soon so I'm just in wait and see mode. I guess the thing for me to do is to just work on my health and conditioning and stay away from people.

I live alone. My adult kids and other immediate family all live about 20 miles away. I haven't seen any of them for a few weeks and don't expect to now for who knows how long. I'm working from home now, so I don't have any in-person personal interaction now. My kids and I are using an app to send video messages back and forth. That helps. It's good to see their faces. I'm getting a little stir-crazy. I might start going out and just drive around each day just to see something other than these inside walls of my house.

Your comment about the trucks and trains stopping running is ominous. I hope they don't. They can't, actually, people have to eat. These are crazy, crazy times.
As shitty and boring as it sounds, you've got a great set up to isolate yourself a bit to stay safe and get healthy. do push ups. take long hikes in the woods where you live. use it as a time to rebuild yourself, as corny as that sounds. i'm a decade behind you and have much of the same heart stuff, plus a family history of lousy tickers. lots and lots of bar food and shitty lunches caught up to me. no sports to watch etc so i'm going to try and eat better and get a bit healthier.

Reactions: Cream&Crimson
With the stay in place order, and spending so much at home, I may have too much time on my hands. Here it goes.

1. Been to the store several times this week. At least they had some milk available today, but i was surprised at some of the other things. Virtually no Spaghetti Sauce and Noodles, Very little meat in cases, again no toilet paper.

2. If so many people are living paycheck to paycheck and need a financial subsidy, who are the people who have the funds to buy in such large quantities that they are causing the shortages?

3. Should we close all grocery stores for several days so they can re-stock inventory and we don't have to play "what do they have now" each time we go to the store?

4. Our Catholic Churches are closed indefinitely. However, our priest is holding "Drive Through" Confessions in our Church Parking Lot late Saturday Afternoons.

b. If we are in "Stay In Place" Mode, haven't our opportunities to sin been reduced?

5. Reality has hit our family. My Wife's Birthday is this week. Since last November we have planned a surprise Birthday Party for her that was to have been held today. The Good News is we did such a good job of hiding it and she had no clue we were planning it. The Bad News is that we had to cancel. However we did so early in the week before the food was purchased, and the facility is refunding our rental fee.

6. When you don't have children in your Household, you don't think about certain things. However, these thoughts crossed my mind.

a. The Daughter of a friend of ours is a Senior in high school and will/would graduate in may. With all Schools in Indiana closed until May 1, the best case scenario is that she goes back to class for 3 Weeks and goes through Graduation. Worst Case, Schools don't re-open and there is no formal Graduation Ceremony. It would be like not having a 2nd Semester of your Senior Year, and having no final act to close out your High School Career.

b. The Daughter of a friend of ours has her Wedding scheduled in May. In fact, I think her Bridal Shower was scheduled for today. How long do you wait to determine whether to cancel and re-schedule due to this situation. What happens under the Contracts you have signed and paid for for the Reception Hall, Food Services, and Ancillary Services?

My son in law asked me how I am handling having no sports. I said, "I haven't started beating my family yet so I am doing great".

I have two friends that are nervous about their kid's weddings. One is May 9th and the other is May 16. They have no idea if the year long planning will be result in a wedding or have to be postponed. My daughter was married last April and one of the best parties I have ever been too. I can't imagine missing that.

I was cleaning out the garage and my neighbor and I were talking from 30' apart. . Normally we would be a normal distance.

Went to pick up carry out. As I was leaving someone coming in turned sharply to create a 6' distance. At first I was a little insulted. Then I thought he could be protecting me.

Someone at my Dad's church set up a camera and had a 1 person concert. She played the piano and sang it was pretty good and glad she made the effort to connect with people.

Someone randomly called me tonight to make sure we were doing okay. I told him we were set as my son scored some TP and dropped off some rolls for us. I didn't thinkotp ask where he got them.

My cousin posted a picture of her dog with the caption, "Meet Zander. Zander doesn't care that the bars are closed and there is a TP shortage. Be like Zander!"

Reactions: sdhoosier and 76-1
My cousin posted a picture of her dog with the caption, "Meet Zander. Zander doesn't care that the bars are closed and there is a TP shortage. Be like Zander!"

If you're going to be like Zander, please don't do it in my yard. But if you must, please clean up after yourself.

Reactions: 76-1 and largemouth
I was trying to Enrico Fermi the toilet paper issue....every head of household is buying 2-3x's the normal amount at one single time, but the purchase point is typically every couple months? How long will the toilet paper inventory level get normal again, and once normalized will there be a surplus for awhile? Anyone?

This toilet paper panic will blow over. After a month or so they will be embarrassed by why they panicked to start with. Hand sanitizers is where its at.

Yeah but how ya fixed for toilet paper? at least you live in the woods.;)

I'm 67 and well within the danger group for more reasons than age. I try to stay isolated but wander off to Krogers on occasion just to get out. The other day some big fat asshole coughed right on me I felt his breath on my face. Too close. I just about blew up with a few words about his barnyard parentage and upbringing but he had a 5 year old little girl with him. Some people are just totally clueless.

I hope the G.O.A.T. thread keeps going because we all need to laugh, best medicine and all that. Stress sucks and laughter is the antidote.

My wife drives a school bus and volunteered or was drafted into delivering the lunches for the kids. They set up a chair 6 feet away from the bus, place one lunch on the chair, retreat to the bus and then tell the kid to approach and take the lunch. The little ones just don't understand, it sounds pretty sad. Hopefully she stays virus free.

Anyway I'm off to try and find some hilarious shit to post.

This toilet paper panic will blow over. After a month or so they will be embarrassed by why they panicked to start with. Hand sanitizers is where its at.
Right now the toilet paper supply is wiped out (groan). Here is one I hadn't considered, probably because I am not dealing with young kids and babies. As I was scavenging the shelves of the local Kroger. A 20 something woman talked to several of us for a moment and mentioned that she was having a terrible time finding baby formula. I have read stories over the years of organized groups of shoplifters stealing formula from stores and turning around and selling it for pure profit on the internet. however at my age and state of life, I would have never have thought of this if the Woman hadn't mentioned it.

Being Zander:

Here in small town Indiana I've noticed folks overly concerned with lawn care. Driving about you'll see folks of all stripes and in various degrees of undress scooting their bare ass along the lawn.
Film at 11:00

Being Zander:

Here in small town Indiana I've noticed folks overly concerned with lawn care. Driving about you'll see folks of all stripes and in various degrees of undress scooting their bare ass along the lawn.
Film at 11:00
When they are acrobatic enough to get in position to lick themselves, let me know.

When they are acrobatic enough to get in position to lick themselves, let me know.

Contortionists have never gained a great entertainment value except in small slices of the population. Perhaps there is some unknown talent hereabouts. I'll keep an eye out for you.
Kudos for the OP by the way.

Yeah but how ya fixed for toilet paper? at least you live in the woods.;)

I'm 67 and well within the danger group for more reasons than age. I try to stay isolated but wander off to Krogers on occasion just to get out. The other day some big fat asshole coughed right on me I felt his breath on my face. Too close. I just about blew up with a few words about his barnyard parentage and upbringing but he had a 5 year old little girl with him. Some people are just totally clueless.

I hope the G.O.A.T. thread keeps going because we all need to laugh, best medicine and all that. Stress sucks and laughter is the antidote.

My wife drives a school bus and volunteered or was drafted into delivering the lunches for the kids. They set up a chair 6 feet away from the bus, place one lunch on the chair, retreat to the bus and then tell the kid to approach and take the lunch. The little ones just don't understand, it sounds pretty sad. Hopefully she stays virus free.

Anyway I'm off to try and find some hilarious shit to post.
I'm good on TP. I admit to having picked up an extra big pack of it. I mean, why not. I didn't hoard it but I'm good for a while. Yeah, there are plenty of leaves out in the yard if worse comes to worse.

So, I've never donated blood before. I've always felt bad about that too but have just not gotten it done. I have an appointment on Wednesday with the Red Cross to donate here in Brown Co. I feel like it's the least I can do. The blood situation is getting critical.
Good for you. Something clicked for me about 5 years ago and I started dropping A POS on the masses regularly. Not sure what happened to make me think differently, but I hope I'm helping someone out there.

So, I've never donated blood before. I've always felt bad about that too but have just not gotten it done. I have an appointment on Wednesday with the Red Cross to donate here in Brown Co. I feel like it's the least I can do. The blood situation is getting critical.
Is demand up, or is it just people not donating like they normally would?

So, had a consult with my cardiologist today (via Facetime which was kind of weird). I have to have open-heart surgery, and it needs to happen fairly soon, he says within 2-3 months. The trick will be how to coordinate that with all this pandemic stuff. Sounds like I need now to be in complete isolation. But I've got to go get some tests done, CAT scan, heart cath, etc. Need to get in and out of those places without catching the virus. Getting COVID-19 now with the shape my heart is in could be fatal. I've got 3-4 weeks of supplies on hand. I'm going to just not even leave the house now unless I'm just out driving around seeing sights, or getting testing done. This all is very bad timing for me.

Meanwhile, I have to be productive at work. I'm trying my best to do that, while also thinking about what my post-op life may look like and whether doing this relatively stressful work after I recover will make sense.

2020 was supposed to be better for me. It's turning out to be shitty.

So, had a consult with my cardiologist today (via Facetime which was kind of weird). I have to have open-heart surgery, and it needs to happen fairly soon, he says within 2-3 months. The trick will be how to coordinate that with all this pandemic stuff. Sounds like I need now to be in complete isolation. But I've got to go get some tests done, CAT scan, heart cath, etc. Need to get in and out of those places without catching the virus. Getting COVID-19 now with the shape my heart is in could be fatal. I've got 3-4 weeks of supplies on hand. I'm going to just not even leave the house now unless I'm just out driving around seeing sights, or getting testing done. This all is very bad timing for me.

Meanwhile, I have to be productive at work. I'm trying my best to do that, while also thinking about what my post-op life may look like and whether doing this relatively stressful work after I recover will make sense.

Hang in there C&C. You have a lot of people in your virtual corner. Thoughts and good vibes headed your way from here.

Ditto what hook said..hang in there buddy...these gals are pulling for you!

I don't know what industry you work in, but it should be in the interest of your employer to make sure you don't get the virus at work. Many employers are allowing people to choose if they are to work or not and guarantee they can return when ready.

I will find out tomorrow how many will choose to work. They will have a job when they return. There are 45 people that report to me and I want every one of them to do what they are comfortable with. Your life is worth more than your job. Companies should not want to risk the life of someone just as they would not want to force someone to work unsafely or use unsafe practices. If they force you to work, they are endangering your life. You may not want to share your medical history with them, but it might save your life to do that. These are strange days and what we wouldn't have considered before are actually in our best interest today.

Take care of yourself first. Your job means nothing if you aren't around.

I don't know what industry you work in, but it should be in the interest of your employer to make sure you don't get the virus at work. Many employers are allowing people to choose if they are to work or not and guarantee they can return when ready.

I will find out tomorrow how many will choose to work. They will have a job when they return. There are 45 people that report to me and I want every one of them to do what they are comfortable with. Your life is worth more than your job. Companies should not want to risk the life of someone just as they would not want to force someone to work unsafely or use unsafe practices. If they force you to work, they are endangering your life. You may not want to share your medical history with them, but it might save your life to do that. These are strange days and what we wouldn't have considered before are actually in our best interest today.

Take care of yourself first. Your job means nothing if you aren't around.
Thank you. Definitely working from home. All US employees are mandatory WFH right now, and most other countries as well.

Had an interesting conversation with my Sister this afternoon. She works in a Supervisory Capacity at a Wal-Mart in Wisconsin. She was talking about how much fun she is having dealing with store customers on limiting Product Quantities to Shoppers. As usual these people believe that the rules apply to everybody else except them.

She mentioned something else that was interesting. A few days ago she went to the Post Office in the town where she lives and had a conversation with the Post Master who she knows. He said that they know that they are handling parcels and boxes of toilet paper, paper towels, and other items that have been hoarded, and sold on e-bay. He said they are keeping a detailed record of these shipments, and the people involved, and once this crisis is over the information will be turned over to Federal Postal Authorities and/or State Attorney Generals for prosecution.

Guess I suspected that the amount of Hoarding that was going on was in excess of personal and household needs. This confirms that.

Had an interesting conversation with my Sister this afternoon. She works in a Supervisory Capacity at a Wal-Mart in Wisconsin. She was talking about how much fun she is having dealing with store customers on limiting Product Quantities to Shoppers. As usual these people believe that the rules apply to everybody else except them.

She mentioned something else that was interesting. A few days ago she went to the Post Office in the town where she lives and had a conversation with the Post Master who she knows. He said that they know that they are handling parcels and boxes of toilet paper, paper towels, and other items that have been hoarded, and sold on e-bay. He said they are keeping a detailed record of these shipments, and the people involved, and once this crisis is over the information will be turned over to Federal Postal Authorities and/or State Attorney Generals for prosecution.

Guess I suspected that the amount of Hoarding that was going on was in excess of personal and household needs. This confirms that.

Since when does an otherwise legal transaction between 2 parties rise to the level of prosecution? How do they know what the agreement was between the 2 parties? How do they know that the products were acquired during the brief time of crisis? #@%^ that post master and his busybody, big brother knows whats best for everyone proclivities.

People screaming about hoarding are the same ones that scream about "price gouging" during an event. A market driven pricing mechanism is by far the best way to efficiently allocate resources and prevent the hoarding to begin with.

Apparently it isn't the hoarding itself, but the price gouging laws that apply to the price that can be charged for products after certain events occur. The Postmaster doesn't know anything in great detail, but can provide a record of when shipments were sent and who sent them, and the authorities can then determine what the pattern of conduct is and whether it violates the law.

I tend to agree with you on whether or not these laws should exist. I f you are in an are where gas supplies are short, and the Market Price is $10 per gallon, why should somebody be penalized because you chose to pay that amount to fill your tank and drive out of the area. If your team makes it to the Final Four and you choose to pay $2,000 per ticket in the Secondary Market to attend that is your business, and nobody should care.

The only difference is that the products subject to these Laws are considered necessities, not discretionary purchases.

Sheesh, I guess with all the Coronavirus stuff, I lost track of time. Is it April 1st already?

So I bailed out on work today. I'm going on sick leave for a while. In addition to the whole heart situation, I had started taking an antidepressant about a month ago and the side-effects of that are bringing me to my knees. I spend the first half of my day as a basket case. I shake, have jitters, am agitated and have anxiety through the roof. I pace around my house and am a total mess, until sometime after noon when it starts letting up. I told my manager today at work that I can't handle work right now. I'm also going to wean off this medication. I've given it a month. I can't handle it anymore.

So I bailed out on work today. I'm going on sick leave for a while. In addition to the whole heart situation, I had started taking an antidepressant about a month ago and the side-effects of that are bringing me to my knees. I spend the first half of my day as a basket case. I shake, have jitters, am agitated and have anxiety through the roof. I pace around my house and am a total mess, until sometime after noon when it starts letting up. I told my manager today at work that I can't handle work right now. I'm also going to wean off this medication. I've given it a month. I can't handle it anymore.
Whew, anyone here would never have known that from your posting style C&C.

Have you ever tried meditation for the anxiety?

Reactions: MaxCoke
No I haven't. This anxiety thing has been completely new to me. I've always been a pretty chill dude. Hopefully it will fade away as I wean off this medication.
Got it.

Either way, you might consider learning to meditate . . . it's a helpful daily experience/habit for me. I learned TM over 40 years ago from an instructor from Bloomington. Here's a link . . .
https://www.tm.org/transcendental-meditation-bloomington

Here's an alternative: https://www.meditationinbloomington.org/classes . . . 10 bucks a class, 5 if you're a student . . .

. . . Bloomington is full of this stuff.

Got it.

Either way, you might consider learning to meditate . . . it's a helpful daily experience/habit for me. I learned TM over 40 years ago from an instructor from Bloomington. Here's a link . . .
https://www.tm.org/transcendental-meditation-bloomington

Here's an alternative: https://www.meditationinbloomington.org/classes . . . 10 bucks a class, 5 if you're a student . . .

. . . Bloomington is full of this stuff.
These links look very interesting. I will explore them further. Thank you.

Reactions: Sope Creek
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT