Coronavirus Impact Has College FB Coaches Worried About 2020 Schedules

Discussion in 'IU Football Board' started by red hornet, Mar 28, 2020.

1. red hornet

red hornet Freshman
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

By Paul Myerberg, USA Today Sports

"Indiana FB coach Tom Allen, like a lot of other college FB coaches wonders when he will be able to get his team back on the field. Whether the 2020 college FB season begins as scheduled, or in the worst case, at all, may be decided by late spring or early summer & will hinge largely on when teams currently separated by distancing efforts are able to gather on campuses & restart the offseason.

Coach Allen says: "You'd like to get them back by June. As long as we can have June & July to get players ready, I think that's enough time"

A later start this offseason than mid-June would compress the 2020 FB schedule perhaps dramatically as many teams have openers on the last wk. of August."

vesuvius13 and DANC like this.
  2. turney333

turney333 All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

also, while there likely will be some loosening of restrictions by summer, there will also likely be some form of restrictions in place for the next year or more. So if the football season does take place (legitimately have no idea of the odds at this point), there’s a good chance that games will be played without fans, there could caps on groups of people to a few hundred to allow for weddings, funerals, eating at restaurants, etc, but would restrict attendance at things like sporting events and concerts. It’s believed the severity of the Italian outbreak stems from a single soccer game.

vesuvius13, red hornet and 76-1 like this.
  3. Jssanto

Jssanto Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Questions:
    1. Do our athletes (especially FB and BB) still have access to their training facilities?
    2. Money wise, would a university accept the tv and radio money of playing without fans, while losing concessions, parking, ticket sales, etc? Would not that be better than losing everything?
    3. If one player tested positive what would happen to the team?
    4. If one player tested positive, what about the players on the team he just played?

vesuvius13 and red hornet like this.
  4. 82hoosier

82hoosier All-American
    Expand Collapse

5. Jssanto

Jssanto Sophomore
    Expand Collapse

Hope they are staying in shape.
    My gym is closed and I am compensating for the lack of exercise with overeating.

6. CC  Mac

CC Mac All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

Just read there is some talk about playing the college football season in July,August and September.
    I guess the thinking is the virus is going to subside late Spring then come back in the Fall.
    Don’t have the link,I think it’s a terrible idea so don’t shoot the messenger

7. red hornet

red hornet Freshman
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah, a 7-game schedule thru the summer. Not going to work. Idea was warm weather would decrease the contagion & play with no fans....but how about the players, coaches etc.

vesuvius13 and CC Mac like this.
  8. CC  Mac

CC Mac All-Big Ten
    Expand Collapse

I didn’t see the part about 7 games,that sucks.
    Why can’t you get 12 games in if you are playing in July,August and September?