ADVERTISEMENT

Coronavirus case increase sets new U.S. record, rising to over 184K in one day

lol. your brain was consigned long ago to the liberal media with no ability to think for yourself, to interpret data on your own; instead you simply regurgitate what you are told by the same outlets over and over. again. cases are surging in nearly every state. why? why are three of the five states with the most deaths run by democrats? because it's a coincidence! this thing moves like a wildfire and doesn't care whether a state is blue or red. all the states are doing some derivation of the same thing and it doesn't work. only two things work: lockdowns and apparently masks. lockdowns have too many other repercussions so masks are the only viable option. unless states and counties are willing to criminalize failures to wear masks not much can be done. enough with the red/blue bs. it's dumb. really, really dumb.

casting everything as Red did this, blue did that, not only evinces little understanding of what's actually going on (like understanding federalism and who does or doesn't have authority) it actually thwarts any real discussion and makes this board one massive silly circle jerk
I think we all understand exactly who has the authority. The fact that you pretend to think the leader of the country has zero impact on how the governors approach and use that authority is pure and unadulterated bullshit.

Reactions: iuwclurker
I think we all understand exactly who has the authority. The fact that you pretend to think the leader of the country has zero impact on how the governors approach and use that authority is pure and unadulterated bullshit.
Authority rests solely with state and local officials. Period. Think. For. Yourself.

Highest death rates. Blue states. Today. Right now. And cases are surging in nearly every state. Think. For. Yourself.
I cannot think for myself. I must think the way McMurtry thinks, otherwise he will call me stupid, a parrot, etc. He won’t read any links trying to explain my reasoning, just continues to parrot his preconceived ideas. Sad really. Good night. I’ll try my best to remember how you want me to think tomorrow. I’d dare not question that.

Authority rests solely with state and local officials. Period. Think. For. Yourself.
You’re beyond hopeless. . Do you truly not understand the point? I feel bad for you if you’re really this obtuse you don’t even understand the argument. But I’m opting out here and you continue to parrot your talking points. Over and over and over . Period.

I cannot think for myself. I must think the way McMurtry thinks, otherwise he will call me stupid, a parrot, etc. He won’t read any links trying to explain my reasoning, just continues to parrot his preconceived ideas. Sad really. Good night. I’ll try my best to remember how you want me to think tomorrow. I’d dare not question that.
it's common sense and a rudimentary understanding of federalism. regardless trying to pin all of this on trump is nothing more than a hatred for trump manifesting itself in blaming him for the seasons changing. trump's an evil idiot who F'd up with the mask messaging. but so too did the WHO and others. they said they weren't helpful because they were "masking" no pun intended the fact that there was a dearth of same. so poor messaging at the beginning then idiot trump continued on with it. he absolutely contributed to this mess. but the fact remains we are autonomous people with a system of gov that grants authority to the states to act in this scope, not trump. state's have either failed to do enough or failed to take proper actions and as a result EVERY state is surging yet again. why? because this thing moves like a wildfire and doesn't care about red or blue. if you aren't locked down and at home and in a mask cases are going to continue. europe had 1.3 million cases this week. far more than the united states. why? because of trump? no because this is a highly contagious virus that requires damn near draconian measures to stop it. the red/blue demarcation for blame is silly when this thing is ubiquitous

to continue to blame trump
Every day he does something contrary to the science which causes more infections. He is without doubt the number 1 superspreader in the country because he is the number one spreader of lies and disinformation.

The number one requisite in crisis management: do you remember what it is?

Every f**king day.... and you still blame states which have one hand tied behind their back by the idiot in question.

Edit bad link ..

New link.

Plus, while every fairly successful nation has had their scientists leading front and center, Trump hypocritically calls ours an idiot and tells people not to listen to him.

Superspreader in Chief..

Last edited:
Every day he does something to disrupt the science and cause more infections. He is without doubt the number 1 superspreader in the country.

Every f**king day..

https://www.washingtonpost.com/
He is a total Fing idiot. But at the level where action takes place we need a plan. Something new. Criminalize failure to wear masks. That’s all I can think of. But to answer your question I place responsibility for the response today in the hands of those officials with authority to act. And that’s at the state and local level. You folks thinking there’s going to be some big paradigm shift when biden gets elected are going to be sorely disappointed. Wayyy to many Americans being Americans. We need to criminalize failure to wear masks. That’s all too many Americans will respond to. Hell same with Europe 1.3 mil cases in a week. People hate masks. It sucks.

Last edited:
I know you’re right. Mask enforcement is easy and would raise rev in munis/counties
You understand there are mandates in place in Indiana, and Trumps dip chit followers are just ignoring them...that’s HIS doing. Simple as that. That’s the leadership issue that keeps coming up.

BTW, mask enforcement is not easy....it actually takes buy in and that’s not happening when the Prez himself keeps f’n up. And before you say it is, ask yourself this...with all that’s going on in this country, do you expect a 18 year old high school student to stop people at the local Target and tell them they can’t come in w/o a mask? Guess what, it isn’t happening because these dip chits have been empowered by their great orange leader.

He is a total Fing idiot. But at the level where action takes place we need a plan. Something new. Criminalize failure to wear masks. That’s all I can think of.
The plan has to be created by and come from the highest office. It's WHY it's there. to handle national crisis and to run the Republic.

This is a national and world wide crisis, not a localized one. It cannot be fought on a local level without national response and world wide coordination. He has removed us a diplomatic power - in the past this country would be leading the world in this fight instead of being the focus of foreign jokes and sympathy - and has done absolutely nothing on the national level except ban travel too late and only because he was made to.

He promoted masks for five minutes and then resorted to making jokes about them and dismissing them again... He called for state lockdowns to be over in the middle of the first spike. He's claimed too many times it's over ... We could all write a Russian author sized novel that would make War and Peace look like a pulp fiction short story about how many ways he's undermined the proper response.

He has been an utter failure as a leader and should be accounted as such. With leadership comes the glory, and the blame. There's almost 300,000 dead Americans. You and I can only do so much, local leaders have local authority, state leaders only have state authority, the virus doesn't recognize borders or counties, or cities. This crisis required national leadership and a plan in coordination with the rest of the world. What we received instead was purposeful incompetence and malfeasance.

Last edited:
You understand there are mandates in place in Indiana, and Trumps dip chit followers are just ignoring them...that’s HIS doing. Simple as that. That’s the leadership issue that keeps coming up.

BTW, mask enforcement is not easy....it actually takes buy in and that’s not happening when the Prez himself keeps f’n up. And before you say it is, ask yourself this...with all that’s going on in this country, do you expect a 18 year old high school student to stop people at the local Target and tell them they can’t come in w/o a mask? Guess what, it isn’t happening because these dip chits have been empowered by their great orange leader.
It’s for sure difficult. But like Dwis word of mouth would catch on and it would help.

The plan has to be created by and come from the highest office. It's WHY it's there. to handle national crisis.

This is a national and world wide crisis, it cannot be fought on a local level without world wide and national coordination. He has removed us a diplomatic power - in the past this country would be leading the world in this fight instead of being the focus of foreign jokes and sympathy - and has done absolutely nothing on the national level except ban travel too late and only because he was made to. He promoted masks for five minutes and then resorted to making jokes about them and dismissing them again... he called for state lockdowns to be over in the middle of the first spike. He's claimed too many times it's over ... we could all write a Russian author sized novel about how many ways he's undermined the proper response.

He has been an utter failure as a leader and should be accounted as such. With leadership comes the glory, and the blame. There's almost 300,000 dead Americans. You and I can only do so much, local leaders have local authority, state leaders only have state authority, the virus doesn't recognize borders or counties, or cities. This crisis required national leadership and a plan in coordination with the rest of the world. What we received instead was purposeful incompetence and malfeasance.
Agreed on his failures and agreed on a plan. Disagree to the extent that again authority for preventive measures falls solely within the ambit of state and local gov to enact and enforce. Federal authority is zero outside of interstate travel, Fed bldgs and parks. Biden will say wear masks and too many will ignore it bc local redneck executives won’t subscribe to it. Federalism is a blessing and on occasions like this a curse. I hope I’m totally wrong on all of this but I don’t expect Biden to make an appreciable difference because of the scope of his authority.

https://www.grandforksherald.com/ne...-deaths-in-October-by-far-the-deadliest-month
From the above article “North Dakota has reported the most COVID-19 cases and deaths per capita in the nation over the last week”

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...dakota-tops-200-coronavirus-deaths-in-october
From the above article “The COVID Tracking Project reported that North Dakota has had more than 1,382 new cases per 100,000 people over the past two weeks, which leads the nation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...-dakota-covid-coronavirus-pandemic-third-wave
From the above article “But two states — North Dakota and South Dakota — have coronavirus outbreaks that far surpass the rest of America.”

https://www.grandforksherald.com/ne...-deaths-in-October-by-far-the-deadliest-month
From the above article “North Dakota has reported the most COVID-19 cases and deaths per capita in the nation over the last week”

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st...dakota-tops-200-coronavirus-deaths-in-october
From the above article “The COVID Tracking Project reported that North Dakota has had more than 1,382 new cases per 100,000 people over the past two weeks, which leads the nation.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vo...-dakota-covid-coronavirus-pandemic-third-wave
From the above article “But two states — North Dakota and South Dakota — have coronavirus outbreaks that far surpass the rest of America.”
The virus is and has run through the entire country.

You are looking at thinks through a pinhole, on a day to day basis. Not joining the dots.

Starts with the guy in the WH and then the state governors -- I told you earlier about Cuomo passing the law. He needed to take responsibility for managing the situation in NY state to ensure that things got better.

If Trump asked the Republican Governors to pass the law on mandating masks back in March/April, you think the current situation would be different?

Never mind hindsight but the bastard's still continuing on making the situation worse -- for his political ambitions.

Speak to any credible healthcare professional and ask them who they think the blame lies.

Trump.

They had hoped that he would have pivoted after getting sick. But instead he doubled down.

And more deaths.
You’re way oversimplicating. McKnows knows.

Reactions: sglowrider
If you are seriously wondering....

The previous two pandemics were opposite of each other as far as a public health response.

Ebola is highly fatal but not very contagious. Therefore there wasn't a huge global reaction to stop the spread of a disease that already didn't spread much.

H1N1 was the opposite. It's highly contagious but wasn't highly fatal. It lasted about a year and a half and took a little over 12,000 lives when it was all said and done.

To borrow the popular, initial response for some, in this case it killed a little less than the flu. Therefore there was no strict global measures to have to contain.

Corona is the combination of both. It's highly contagious and it's dangerously fatal.

Therefore there has been a different global response in regards to containment, well except here in the US as we've been wishy washy. The messaging has been confusing and complicated but that's what happens when you convince millions of people that news is fake.

The fact that it's a global issue makes it pretty easy to compare responses to see how we are doing.
Covid19 has imcreasingly bad long-term damage to affected survivors.

North Dakota is among the leaders in per capita testing. But thanks for the links.

North Dakota is among the leaders in per capita testing. But thanks for the links.

Me: So increased testing leads to increased covid deaths per capita?

You: *deflect*

President of the United States: covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid...a plane goes down...

End Scene

President of the United States: covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid covid...a plane goes down...

End Scene

North Dakota could cut back on infections and deaths if they’d just stop testing.

End Scene
I ain't skeered. Are you?

The virus is and has run through the entire country.

I agree with you 100% that the virus doesn't know political ideology or state borders....which is the point.

When only 50 some % are taking preventative measures for a contagious disease well, it's not going to be as effective when you have people not taking those measures.

Doesn't matter if it's a blue or red state....there's blue and red people in every community in America.

Which is why a national, unified message could help tremendously.

Again the virus doesn't know borders. I'm in the twin cities but I'm 40 minutes from Wisconsin. There aren't border walls between states as much as the world isn't perfectly separated by a wall between libs and trumpicans. That goes for every community.

Trump has a gigantic influence of messaging, not only for the country in its entirety but especially for his voters.

Fox News would back his narrative.

Instead of the president unifying the country....he fights it, mocks it and turns his base against it for those who are trying to advocate it.

Those red governors don't dare go against Trump because he'll sick his dogs on them and kill their careers. See Jeff Sessions who didn't even make it out of the primary.

So yeah, I agree with you. Think for yourself. I also agree that community leaders need to do what's best for their communities BASED ON NATIONAL GUIDELINES.

You know, having a national action plan based on science and common sense would be amazing along with a unified, national message.

Instead it's a directionless, clown storm. We've been begging this president to be prepared for the inevitable second wave all summer and once again....his only plan is to hope it goes away.

Which is why the upcoming months are going to get insanely ugly with the virus, just like we predicted as people came inside.

We're hitting the ice berg head on and we've thrown the lifeboats away to hit the iceberg at a faster speed.

I agree with you 100% that the virus doesn't know political ideology or state borders....which is the point.

When only 50 some % are taking preventative measures for a contagious desease well, it's not going to be as effective when you have people not taking those measures.

Doesn't matter if it's a blue or red state....there's blue and red people in every community in America.

Which is why a national, unified message could help tremendously.

Again the virus doesn't know borders. I'm in the twin cities but I'm 40 minutes from Wisconsin. There aren't border walls between states as much as the world isn't perfectly separated by a wall between libs and trumpicans. That goes for every community.

Trump has a gigantic influence of messaging, not only for the country in its entirety but especially for his voters.

Fox News would back his narrative.

Instead of the president unifying the country....he fights it, mocks it and turns his base against it for those who are trying to advocate it.

Those red governors don't dare go against Trump because he'll sick his dogs on them and kill their careers. See Jeff Sessions who didn't even make it out of the primary.

So yeah, I agree with you. Think for yourself. I also agree that community leaders need to do what's best for their communities BASED ON NATIONAL GUIDELINES.

You know, having a national action plan based on science and common sense would be amazing along with a unified, national message.

Instead it's a directionless, clown storm.

Which is why the next two mo ths are going to get insanely ugly. We're hitting the ice berg head on and we've thrown the lifeboats away to hit the iceberg at a faster speed.
Tommy I agree it would help. Probably a fair amount. But there are millions of Americans who are apolitical, oblivious etc. two black teens killed a man in Chicago today bc they didn’t want to wear masks. These weren’t trumpets watching Fox News Gatherings in LA for the lakers are being attributed to a spike. Politics only goes so far and misses tens of millions. A national plan would be ignored by some just like state plans are. Some are oblivious, some selfish, some fatigued.

Last edited:
Interesting study... the governor of Kansas instituted a mask mandate. The state legislature then passed laws making each county responsible for deciding on their own as to whether to obey mask mandates. Most counties opted out, no mask laws. Now, after 5 months we can quantify the effect. COVID-19 transmission is flat in mask mandate counties, and has quadrupled in non mask-wearing counties. This is despite the mask-wearing counties being, in general, more densely populated.

"KU researchers demonstrated Kansas counties without the mask order experienced a surge in coronavirus infection rates that climbed from about 10 cases per 100,0000 in July to nearly 40 cases per 100,000 in October. The number of cases for counties covered by the mask order plateaued since July at around 20 cases per 100,000."

Interesting study... the governor of Kansas instituted a mask mandate. The state legislature then passed laws making each county responsible for deciding on their own as to whether to obey mask mandates. Most counties opted out, no mask laws. Now, after 5 months we can quantify the effect. COVID-19 transmission is flat in mask mandate counties, and has quadrupled in non mask-wearing counties. This is despite the mask-wearing counties being, in general, more densely populated.

"KU researchers demonstrated Kansas counties without the mask order experienced a surge in coronavirus infection rates that climbed from about 10 cases per 100,0000 in July to nearly 40 cases per 100,000 in October. The number of cases for counties covered by the mask order plateaued since July at around 20 cases per 100,000."

but trump...
1. federalism
2. absent enforcement mechanisms there will never be uniform mask wearing, under trump, biden, or the wizard of oz. and for all those crying partisan shills crying "but trump..." google florida house parties. hundreds, thousands, of black kids all over florida partying without masks. they sure as hell aren't trump voters. they simply don't pay attention to politics. same goes for millions of white kids and others. the president can't do enough because americans are going to be americans. too many are apolitical or oblivious or dumb. if we want uniformity in mask wearing we need to criminalize it and embark on a massive pr campaign to get the word out that you will be fined and convicted and jailed

The non-mask wearing counties must be testing more. There’s no other explanation.

Johnson Country used to be my barrio. I posted that study earlier -- published in October!
I should have scammed some funding to do that study -- the results were inevitable and predictable.
Do desktop research and claim it was done in the field!! Easy money!

but trump...
If we want uniformity in mask wearing we need to criminalize it and embark on a massive pr campaign to get the word out that you will be fined and convicted and jailed

Mask wearing is at about 45% in the USA and you are right that it will never get to 100%. But if it got to 60% right now, many lives would be saved. 70%, many more. 80%, very many more (tens of thousands, at minimum).

If only some people in leadership posiions had not embarked on a massive pr campaign to get the word out that you will be branded a fool, a sheep, and a libtard if you opt to wear a mask under any conditions.

Mask mandates can be enforced either as a declared health emergency (Board of health authority) or as necessitated by Homeland Security. It takes the will to do so. Just institute fines, no "jailing". We can accept that some "rebels" won't comply, no matter what. In that case, we will also accept the enormous benefit of some additional partial compliance.

Mask wearing is at about 45% in the USA and you are right that it will never get to 100%. But if it got to 60% right now, many lives would be saved. 70%, many more. 80%, very many more (tens of thousands, at minimum).

If only some people in leadership posiions had not embarked on a massive pr campaign to get the word out that you will be branded a fool, a sheep, and a libtard if you opt to wear a mask under any conditions.

Mask mandates can be enforced either as a declared health emergency (Board of health authority) or as necessitated by Homeland Security. It takes the will to do so. Just institute fines, no "jailing". We can accept that some "rebels" won't comply, no matter what. In that case, we will also accept the enormous benefit of some additional partial compliance.
Look at the news right now in Italy, they are rioting right now over more covid shut downs. People are sick of this election infection!

If Fauci hadn't gone out on the tv in early March and said mask wearing wasn't really useful, except to make people feel better, then flipped a month later, I would be wearing mine in my car, just like the rest of the libs. 😷

there's no federal authority for masks. any health emergency claims are of shorter duration and would run afoul of con rights and would be quickly and very likely effectively challenged in court

I have never once seen anyone wearing a mask in a car, other than putting it on as they prepare to exit the car. You'd have to be stupid as a Proud Boy to routinely do that.

Fauci has been crystal clear that the early bad advice against mask wearing was because of (equal parts):
1) the real shortage of medical masks (gross ineptitude in government preparedness);
2) the real fear that there would a run on them and health care workers would be hit hard;
3) based upon incomplete information that was corrected by countless later studies, which is precisely how science WORKS.

I have never once seen anyone wearing a mask in a car, other than putting it on as they prepare to exit the car. You'd have to be stupid as a Proud Boy to routinely do that.

Fauci has been crystal clear that the early bad advice against mask wearing was because of (equal parts):
1) the real shortage of medical masks (gross ineptitude in government preparedness);
2) the real fear that there would a run on them and health care workers would be hit hard;
3) based upon incomplete information that was corrected by countless later studies, which is precisely how science WORKS.
so they lied. not bad advice. a lie

there's no federal authority for masks. any health emergency claims are of shorter duration and would run afoul of con rights and would be quickly and very likely effectively challenged in court
They were already challenged in court multiple times during and after the 1918/1919 pandemic, and courts upheld the ability of local health boards to authorize mask mandates, to limit public gatherings, and for such mandates to be enforced by police. It is settled law, though IANAL. it does need to be temporary, of course.

Actually, there are very good reasons to wear a mask in the car. The CDC says one should wash their hands after handling their mask. One doesn't always have access to water or sanitizer. So if one is out running several errands, leaving the mask on makes total sense. In addition, some delivery places require their people to leave their masks on (for that reason).

They were already challenged in court multiple times during and after the 1918/1919 pandemic, and courts upheld the ability of local health boards to authorize mask mandates, to limit public gatherings, and for such mandates to be enforced by police. It is settled law, though IANAL.
absolutely at the state and local level. i thought you meant at the federal level. you said homeland security.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT