ADVERTISEMENT

Congrats CTA and Fred Glass

Love It!

Had to chuckle about Fred's press release mentioning the "in spite of injuries to" paragraph... :) Wonder who that was aimed at...;)

That was a nice synopsis of what has been achieved, so far, this year on the field...

If any of us had been told just prior to the start of the season that we were going to lose Coy Cronk and start a true freshman at Left Tackle, I'd imagine most of us would be betting on a 4-8 record rather than 8-4...!

My only complaints are that I wish Fred had doubled what he added to the Asst. Coaches and Strength & Conditioning Staff $$ pool (for raises).

//Then again, I'd imagine the Offensive Coordinator and the Strength and Conditioning duo would have their salaries negotiated independently from the rest of the staff if the issue of their potentially heading elsewhere arose...//

What does this mean? Does it mean has a 7 year deal as long was we go to a bowl?

"A year is added back to the contract term for each year IU qualifies for a bowl game. In no event could the contract ever exceed the original seven-year term."

I found this detail of the contract interesting.

A year is added back to the contract term for each year IU qualifies for a bowl game. In no event could the contract ever exceed the original seven-year term.

Basically saying the year gets added back if they qualify for a bowl. I don't think I have ever seen that before.

Love It!

Had to chuckle about Fred's press release mentioning the "in spite of injuries to" paragraph... :) Wonder who that was aimed at...;)

That was a nice synopsis of what has been achieved, so far, this year on the field...

If any of us had been told just prior to the start of the season that we were going to lose Coy Cronk and start a true freshman at Left Tackle, I'd imagine most of us would be betting on a 4-8 record rather than 8-4...!

My only complaints are that I wish Fred had doubled what he added to the Asst. Coaches and Strength & Conditioning Staff $$ pool (for raises).

//Then again, I'd imagine the Offensive Coordinator and the Strength and Conditioning duo would have their salaries negotiated independently from the rest of the staff if the issue of their potentially heading elsewhere arose...//

I'm guessing that the salary pool is flexible and if money is needed to retain an assistant beyond the specific allotment, it will likely be available. I think its more a guaranteed discretionary amount provided to Allen rather than a hard cap. I think all it means is that IU CAN'T REFUSE Allen if he wants to spend within the specified allotment.

What does this mean? Does it mean has a 7 year deal as long was we go to a bowl?

"A year is added back to the contract term for each year IU qualifies for a bowl game. In no event could the contract ever exceed the original seven-year term."

Yeah I didn't get that either. How do we add back a year but can't go past 7 years?

And one of the bullets was back to back best recruiting classes ever? KW had back to back 38th rated classes, 2013 and 14. TA got a 38th rated class once, 2019. Why lie?

I found this detail of the contract interesting.

A year is added back to the contract term for each year IU qualifies for a bowl game. In no event could the contract ever exceed the original seven-year term.

Basically saying the year gets added back if they qualify for a bowl. I don't think I have ever seen that before.
I interpret that as applying to the guarantee of a full year pay - i.e. the buyout. So in other words, if IU qualifies for a bowl next year, then IU decides to fire him after, he would still be entitled to 4 years of full pay and only 2 years of half pay in the termination package - rather than 3 and 3.

I'm not positive that my interpretation is correct, but it makes sense to me.

CTA earned an extension and raise. I do think 7 years is a mistake, but that seems to be increasingly common. I remember another coach who got a long extension after 1 breakout year. The last 4 years are a 50% guarantee which, while an expensive buyout if necessary, is not crippling. Hope Fred ensures that CTA has what is needed to keep and get folks down the line as well.

Below is roughly how B1G head coach pay shakes out as of now. I used the USA Today 2019 salary database for comparison and added the new hires and extensions that I can remember (Fleck, Schiano). It's a little tough to be exact without the details of each contract because of bonuses and oddities.

1. Harbaugh - 7.5
2. Franklin - 5.65
3. Fitz - 5.6
4. Brohmbardi - 5.5 (he actually earned 6.6 in 2019 due to signing and retention bonuses. 5.5 is his annual base+ retention bonus)
5. Frost - 5.0
6. Ferentz - 4.8
7. Fleck - 4.6
8. Day - 4.5 (He's gotta get a raise this year, I'd think)
9. Dantonio -4.4
10. Chryst - 4.15
11. Love - 4.0
12. Schiano - 4.0
13. Allen - 3.9
14. Locksley - 2.5

Allen still at the tail end, but he's in the same ballpark as most of the B1G, which is good. I'm tired, so apologies if I got something wrong.

Last edited:
Reactions: snowling
The perpetual contract. Get bowl eligible and add/retain a year on the deal. Not sure if this is common or not. Technically he could have a 7 year contract for 10 years if he goes bowling for 10 years in a row. Very cool!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
The perpetual contract. Get bowl eligible and add/retain a year on the deal. Not sure if this is common or not. Technically he could have a 7 year contract for 10 years if he goes bowling for 10 years in a row. Very cool!

That's my take on it too.

Go to a bowl and add a year to the contract. As long as IU goes to a bowl, his contract will never decrease in term.

If we go bowling next season, then CTA will be able to still say he has a 7 year commitment from the school. My guess is, the 50% guaranteed money will be the type of year added. I think it takes the pressure off the admin in particular, to always have 3-5 years on a contract for a coach who is out recruiting. I am sure IU has always been recruited against about “how long” the coach will be there.....

The buyout of the remaining 50% years are also more manageable....

Reactions: 76-1
Get to tell recruits he's there as long as he's good and if he's good, then as long as he wants. Sends a good message of stability.

BTW, if he breaksthrough to the next level after this, i.e. Rose Bowl or wins B10 (or even gets to the title game), they'll be raises coming again.

The $500K pool is nice. I do hope Allen is willing to take the proverbial "annual look back at the season" to see if/where he needs to make changes. Use that money wisely and perhaps make some "trade up" moves if he feels needed?

Very positive news RIGHT before a huge recruiting weekend!

I'm guessing that the salary pool is flexible and if money is needed to retain an assistant beyond the specific allotment, it will likely be available. I think its more a guaranteed discretionary amount provided to Allen rather than a hard cap. I think all it means is that IU CAN'T REFUSE Allen if he wants to spend within the specified allotment.
BINGO!!!

$3.9 still puts him in the bottom 3 of the B1G and around 35 nationally. It is crazy what these guys make.

Seems awfully high to me considering they nearly blew a 3 game chance at 5 conference wins in a year when Nebraska, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue and Rutgers were all abysmal.

I don't want Allen to leave but other than the fact that IU was better than awful, I couldn't say that he has earned a 7 yr extension. Win a bowl game at least first. Or go to 2 bowls in a row. I look at it this way- big programs aren't offering Allen, and if they did, they would offer more than what he just got. IU won't be good unless a coach is motivated to be in Bloomington by something other than money anyhow, so I think they should have waited longer to make him earn a higher contract.

Reactions: bang63
IU won't be good unless a coach is motivated to be in Bloomington by something other than money anyhow, so I think they should have waited longer to make him earn a higher contract.
I think Allen is that guy, but he still needs to not be insulted. Looks like they came up with a number that was agreeable to all.

Seems awfully high to me considering they nearly blew a 3 game chance at 5 conference wins in a year when Nebraska, Maryland, Northwestern, Purdue and Rutgers were all abysmal.

I don't want Allen to leave but other than the fact that IU was better than awful, I couldn't say that he has earned a 7 yr extension. Win a bowl game at least first. Or go to 2 bowls in a row. I look at it this way- big programs aren't offering Allen, and if they did, they would offer more than what he just got. IU won't be good unless a coach is motivated to be in Bloomington by something other than money anyhow, so I think they should have waited longer to make him earn a higher contract.

This contract still puts him 2nd to last in the conference, so it is not some crazy amount considering the market. It just puts him in the ballpark of conference average

All this says to me is “I don’t follow college football.”

I think Allen is that guy, but he still needs to not be insulted. Looks like they came up with a number that was agreeable to all.

You may be right about that. Perhaps a blowout win in the bowl makes it look like a no-brainer, but a blow-out loss may also make it look like a head-scratcher.

head scratcher? You do realize he is almost the lowest paid coach in the conference? Even with the new deal

Yes. And that is reasonable considering the state of the program.

If Purdue goes for a 2pt conversion after their first overtime touchdown then Allen ends up 4-5 in the conference including 3 straight losses. Instead, Purdue settled for the point after, and IU played well enough to squeak it out. But that was a terrible job letting Purdue get back in that game.
I think he can thank Purdue for the raise. And believe me when I say I hope it comes back to haunt them (Purdue).

If Purdue goes for a 2pt conversion after their first overtime touchdown then Allen ends up 4-5 in the conference including 3 straight losses. Instead, Purdue settled for the point after, and IU played well enough to squeak it out. But that was a terrible job letting Purdue get back in that game.
I think he can thank Purdue for the raise. And believe me when I say I hope it comes back to haunt them (Purdue).
Crazy stuff happens in Bucket games, including Mallory teams, and you can throw records out the window. It wasn't perfect this year, but it was a W in WL and one of the best college football games I have seen. Deboer's playcall to Hendershot in the 2OT was a great playcall. IU showed a lot of guts and perseverance, and they finished.

One of the craziest plays I have seen was the 2006 Bucket game where Tracy Porter recovered a fumble, made an amazing run, and almost took it to the house. But, a PU player punched the ball out through the end zone and out of bounds, resulting in a touchback. The bounce catch by PU in OT this year was also really crazy. One last crazy play was 1989 where AT almost ran a kickoff for a TD with IU behind by 2 and a couple minutes remaining. IU missed a 15-20 yard FG and lost.

Reactions: ESalum86 and 76-1
Yeah I didn't get that either. How do we add back a year but can't go past 7 years?

And one of the bullets was back to back best recruiting classes ever? KW had back to back 38th rated classes, 2013 and 14. TA got a 38th rated class once, 2019. Why lie?

It means that at no time shall the term be greater than seven years but it is self perpetuating up to seven.

So if no bowl for two years the contract has five years remaining. If he bowls in year three the contract has five years remaining. If he bowls in year four...there are five years remaining.

If no bowl in year five there are four years remaining

If he bowls in year six there are four years remaining.

Hell of a good concept.

Fire Fred.

giphy.gif
CloseMadHorsefly-size_restricted.gif

jyXdW5.gif

Reactions: Radio Zero and 76-1
In other words, if Allen bowls every year from here on out, he always has a 7 year contract in hand! Miss a bowl and the contract has 6 years left, miss two in a row and it has 5 years left, etc.

I look for Allen to have Fred back at the negotiating table this time next year. Another 8+ win season should do the trick. I hope he wins 10 games next year and Fred has to pay out the ass!

Reactions: IU Fan 1989

Are you serious? Teams “almost lose” every game. We won.

Reactions: baileyiu

You are assuming that PU makes the 2pt conversion. Which is a big assumption IMO.

If Brohm was as confident as you, they would have went for two.

$3.9 still puts him in the bottom 3 of the B1G and around 35 nationally. It is crazy what these guys make.
It is beyond crazy what all these top level coaches make at educational institutions that drive every day people deeper into debt every day.

It is beyond crazy what all these top level coaches make at educational institutions that drive every day people deeper into debt every day.
To IU's credit, the athletic department has always been self supporting, not using mandated student fees or general fund monies. The cost of an IU education isn't inflated by having to support athletics. For that, you have to point the finger at the state legislature, among others.

Reactions: Hoosiers Rising

Hmmmmmmm.... it seems a $6MM man would have known that..... maybe Purdue should have splurged for the $8MM guy?

you play the teams that are on your schedule. Just like Clemson who has been criticized for their schedule, they could only play who was on the docket. We know the two divisions in the B10 are lopsided when it comes to difficulty. For Indiana, in the condition the program has been in, to schedule power 5 teams in the non-conference can be suicide for the program before the real difficult part of the schedule begins. We could be out of it before the conference schedule even begins. We gotta make bowls to improve the recruiting. Better recruiting means better depth. Better depth means we can play a stronger schedule.

it wasn’t until this year and maybe last year that we have seen an improvement in the West depth wise in teams. We don’t know if that is a result of teams being down or if the west is actually improving. We will see. The bottom line is Purdue lost. It doesn’t matter if a bounce went the wrong way, the wrong play was called, or an umpire screwed up. There is an “I” on the chain that was added. It is the same size and shape of every “I” even when compared to a single point win or a blowout. It just doesn’t matter.

we own the Bucket. They don’t. End of story for this year concerning Purdue.

If PU went for two, there might not have been another OT since IU could have stopped them from converting.

ADVERTISEMENT