ADVERTISEMENT

CONFIRMED: Chris Lemonis reportedly headed to Mississippi State

Agree with that last sentence...........

Agreed, but it might be a Mike Davis-like situation where they know that guy can coach but also know that he can't recruit and/or run a program.

Actually, that would be the opposite of a Mike Davis situation because our administration didn't know that, but you know what I mean.

Lots of good posts here. Isn't it fun to talk about other sports we're really good at besides basketball? Ones that are gaining in popularity and exposure every day like baseball and soccer. It's a good problem to have, so despite currently being a stepping stone in baseball, it's OK. Eventually, the more coaches that have success the better the chances we'll get a coach who lays down roots here.

But, even with the most storied soccer program in history (don't waste my time with St. Louis) we still had to experience a down period while figuring out the succession of coaches. My hope here is that Glass will be able to get a proven quantity where the program EXPECTS (not hopes) to maintain the current success of the program and continues to build the brand.

In my opinion, Tracy Smith is being way overrated based on his final two years. Prior to that, he was nothing special and over a period of some time, too. I know things changed during his last couple of years around the program such that it would have been to his benefit, but he and others like him, would seem like a step backward at this point.

The program has had momentum for only six years. In my opinion, it would be better served by a known quantity at this point. The risk is already high. For me, I don't want to increase it by seeing IF a guy could do the job. I'd rather have someone we KNOW can do the job because he's done it before.

I know this is highly subjective, but these are just my initial thoughts.

Lots of good posts here. Isn't it fun to talk about other sports we're really good at besides basketball? Ones that are gaining in popularity and exposure every day like baseball and soccer. It's a good problem to have, so despite currently being a stepping stone in baseball, it's OK. Eventually, the more coaches that have success the better the chances we'll get a coach who lays down roots here.

But, even with the most storied soccer program in history (don't waste my time with St. Louis) we still had to experience a down period while figuring out the succession of coaches. My hope here is that Glass will be able to get a proven quantity where the program EXPECTS (not hopes) to maintain the current success of the program and continues to build the brand.

In my opinion, Tracy Smith is being way overrated based on his final two years. Prior to that, he was nothing special and over a period of some time, too. I know things changed during his last couple of years around the program such that it would have been to his benefit, but he and others like him, would seem like a step backward at this point.

The program has had momentum for only six years. In my opinion, it would be better served by a known quantity at this point. The risk is already high. For me, I don't want to increase it by seeing IF a guy could do the job. I'd rather have someone we KNOW can do the job because he's done it before.

I think that IU baseball, at this point, is a pretty solid bet to at least maintain the level of success that it is currently experiencing. It's hard to see any kind of massive backslide, with reasonable facilities and some investment being made in the program. I think that it's probably a pretty sure bet for an assistant from a good program to get their first HC job or for a lower-level HC to make a move up the ladder. IU baseball is the class of the B1G at this point, pretty consistently. A coach coming can know that he will at least have the resources to compete within the conference.

The athletic department needs to continue improving the marketing of the program and look for opportunities to continue improving the facilities and resources for the program. This should be a program that can count on being in the NCAA tournament every year, with occasional runs as regional hosts and as a CWS participant. Will be tough, given the limitations, but I don't think it's unreasonable.

Will be interesting to see who is linked with this job and who gets a look.

There is a pretty darn good chance Tracy will be available after next year. I have enjoyed IU's run in baseball, hope they keep it going.

Like others, I don't understand why they can't start the season a month later: problem solved. The weather in Indiana right now is as hot as anywhere else in the country. I think the Big Ten is the largest conference by enrollment. It is a shame that the NCAA doesn't want to encourage Big Ten baseball like it should.

If it can happen in Corvallis, Oregon and Louisville, it can happen in Bloomington.

As long as IU is shoveling snow off the diamond well into the season, this is a tough place to recruit and coach. IU made BIG baseball cool again, it it is very difficult to sustain in this climate.

As long as IU is shoveling snow off the diamond well into the season, this is a tough place to recruit and coach. IU made BIG baseball cool again, it it is very difficult to sustain in this climate.
The weather in Minneapolis is far worse and Minn doesn't seem to have a problem attracting players. The weather in Bloomington is about the same as in Louisville, and we know they have sustained a pretty good program. Obviously, the sunbelt programs have a big advantage over us, but we can continue to sustain the program with the right guy at the helm.

The weather in Minneapolis is far worse and Minn doesn't seem to have a problem attracting players. The weather in Bloomington is about the same as in Louisville, and we know they have sustained a pretty good program. Obviously, the sunbelt programs have a big advantage over us, but we can continue to sustain the program with the right guy at the helm.

Agreed. Long stream of consciousness to follow:

I think it is time for the B1G to look at ways to help the member schools that want to be better positioned to compete nationally. I don’t see the NCAA (loosely translated that means the Power 5 schools who are currently weather advantaged) to change the season.

My suggestion would have the B1G reduce the league season games and IMO, ideally take the 8 highest RPIs for the tourney that identifies the automatic league rep. This in turn would allow the schools more opportunities to schedule teams at anticipated RPI ranges they desire. In IU case we should limit the in state games and certainly very rare if ever weekend sets in state. I personally would not make annual West coast trips but rather every other year at most.

I would focus instead on home and home series with the likes of UL, UK, ND, MO, Vandy, TN for example. In lieu of the almost exclusive local mid week local games I would also try to line up a couple mid week single game home and home sets with Power 5 pairs, e.g Texas & A&M, Florida & FSU, VA & VaTech around spring breaks.

Shorter version upgrade schedule significantly (this year was awful). I think this helps recruiting because .. exposure. Maybe we keep some of the Zack Thompsons, Devon Mann’s, Michael McAvene, and Mike Doolins 150 miles closer to home.

Finally I would seek to open the season, with the weakest southern grouping I could find before upgrading the next two weekends and then come home to the local schools and if bad weather cancel, don’t schedule Cincy on Tuesday after flying back Sunday evening from a 4 game set in Dan Diego and if the weather is questionable cancel.

Reactions: Seyton
I might add that our program should be the most attractive program within the B1G from a career advancement standpoint. It seems the sunbelt powers are only attracted to our head coaches, so if potential head coaches are looking to get to the top, come on down.

I guess it depends what your goals are,

Agreed. Long stream of consciousness to follow:

I think it is time for the B1G to look at ways to help the member schools that want to be better positioned to compete nationally. I don’t see the NCAA (loosely translated that means the Power 5 schools who are currently weather advantaged) to change the season.

My suggestion would have the B1G reduce the league season games and IMO, ideally take the 8 highest RPIs for the tourney that identifies the automatic league rep. This in turn would allow the schools more opportunities to schedule teams at anticipated RPI ranges they desire. In IU case we should limit the in state games and certainly very rare if ever weekend sets in state. I personally would not make annual West coast trips but rather every other year at most.

I would focus instead on home and home series with the likes of UL, UK, ND, MO, Vandy, TN for example. In lieu of the almost exclusive local mid week local games I would also try to line up a couple mid week single game home and home sets with Power 5 pairs, e.g Texas & A&M, Florida & FSU, VA & VaTech around spring breaks.

Shorter version upgrade schedule significantly (this year was awful). I think this helps recruiting because .. exposure. Maybe we keep some of the Zack Thompsons, Devon Mann’s, Michael McAvene, and Mike Doolins 150 miles closer to home.

Finally I would seek to open the season, with the weakest southern grouping I could find before upgrading the next two weekends and then come home to the local schools and if bad weather cancel, don’t schedule Cincy on Tuesday after flying back Sunday evening from a 4 game set in Dan Diego and if the weather is questionable cancel.

Very interesting. I'm not sure I agree with every single thing but it was a great post - something worthy of getting a conversation started to be sure. I like the angle you're coming from.

I might add that our program should be the most attractive program within the B1G from a career advancement standpoint. It seems the sunbelt powers are only attracted to our head coaches, so if potential head coaches are looking to get to the top, come on down.
I was thinking the same thing. IU seems like it should be a very attractive job. You have new facilities and an administration who seems to routinely put a few bucks into the program. The expectations aren't insanely high, but you have an opportunity to get to Omaha. The conference is gettable every year and you don't have to compete against any particularly strong programs. The state produces a decent amount of talent. If you do reasonably well and get to the NCAAs, you are seen as a pretty big success and will have opportunities available.

Reactions: Charlesroast
Very interesting. I'm not sure I agree with every single thing but it was a great post - something worthy of getting a conversation started to be sure. I like the angle you're coming from.

Thanks but it was a rambling series of thoughts. Bottom line I think our job has potential. I also think all the B1G can really do to alleviate the “northern disadvantage” is to lessen the league schedule and give the programs more schedule flexibility.

Minnesota was clearly the best team in ‘18 but the unbalanced schedule and early season weather challenges make the regular season standings highly unreliable indicators of relative team strength IMO.

Reactions: Seyton
Thanks but it was a rambling series of thoughts. Bottom line I think our job has potential. I also think all the B1G can really do to alleviate the “northern disadvantage” is to lessen the league schedule and give the programs more schedule flexibility.

Minnesota was clearly the best team in ‘18 but the unbalanced schedule and early season weather challenges make the regular season standings highly unreliable indicators of relative team strength IMO.

Why would the Southern powerhouses leave their homes to come north and play. Back before Miami joined the ACC they would play about -2 away games and were at UF and FSU and maybe FIU which is 8 minutes away. Those schools are not going to play non conference road games in the north. They have nothing to gain from it. Also to not travel west or south to start season non league play would be ridiculous. You have to go where weather is nice and maybe pickup some players. Yes Indiana HS baseball is decent but you have to redruit nationwide.

Why would the Southern powerhouses leave their homes to come north and play. Back before Miami joined the ACC they would play about -2 away games and were at UF and FSU and maybe FIU which is 8 minutes away. Those schools are not going to play non conference road games in the north. They have nothing to gain from it. Also to not travel west or south to start season non league play would be ridiculous. You have to go where weather is nice and maybe pickup some players. Yes Indiana HS baseball is decent but you have to redruit nationwide.

My ramble wasn’t clear.

IMO
1. The B1G needs to cut back league game to create more scheduling opportunities in April and May. They cram 8 league series in 9 weeks before the tourney next to last week of May. I say go to 6 games, 7 at most games and continue to start league play third week of March.
2. Rather than schedule a series with directional Illinois schools, Pacific, or Butler for example, I would like to try for home and homes with northern power five schools.
3. From a cost effective standpoint I would not go to the west coast every year, maybe every other year or every 2 years.
4. I would be away from home, generally south, at least through the first weekend in March.
5. I get that you would have to be creative to get Florida or Texas to come to Bloomington, but I would try to be creative and we do have assets in our athletic department.

Here are two things I know.
1.College baseball season is not going to make a change in the start or end of it’s season no matter how much the B1G complains.
2. Given the way baseball scholarships are limited we need to keep as many of the top Indiana prospects home as possible.

To me that means we need to be able to offer opportunities that compete as best we can with the southern schools. We have done about all we can physically. That leaves efforts to increase exposure for the kids who stay home.

My ramble wasn’t clear.

IMO
1. The B1G needs to cut back league game to create more scheduling opportunities in April and May. They cram 8 league series in 9 weeks before the tourney next to last week of May. I say go to 6 games, 7 at most games and continue to start league play third week of March.
2. Rather than schedule a series with directional Illinois schools, Pacific, or Butler for example, I would like to try for home and homes with northern power five schools.
3. From a cost effective standpoint I would not go to the west coast every year, maybe every other year or every 2 years.
4. I would be away from home, generally south, at least through the first weekend in March.
5. I get that you would have to be creative to get Florida or Texas to come to Bloomington, but I would try to be creative and we do have assets in our athletic department.

Here are two things I know.
1.College baseball season is not going to make a change in the start or end of it’s season no matter how much the B1G complains.
2. Given the way baseball scholarships are limited we need to keep as many of the top Indiana prospects home as possible.

To me that means we need to be able to offer opportunities that compete as best we can with the southern schools. We have done about all we can physically. That leaves efforts to increase exposure for the kids who stay home.

The comment about the California trip is interesting.....

Right now we don't know who our new coach is going to be, but....if we're going to continue to not hit California hard in recruiting I'd probably shelve that trip. Going from SC to Florida to California was a hell of a lot of travel in a short time. I thought the SC tourney was great. We could do that one and then 2 Florida tourneys back-to-back. The one consideration that could argue otherwise is exposure to scouts. It seems the recruiting line these days is all about exposure to scouts and getting these guys drafted. That might be a consideration in playing in California, don't know if it is or not.

ADVERTISEMENT