PAC 12...........0-3, 0/3 left

Updated....again by my count, before today's date:

Big Ten...........7-2, 2/4 left
ACC..............11-5, 4/9 left
SEC................8-8, 0/8 left
Big 12............11-4, 4/8 left
Big East..........5-5, 1/6 left

So the SEC still sucks. Who says there's no justice in the world?

Reactions: IU Hardcore
I enjoyed seeing Michigan beat down that SEC team last night. Only to be more entertained by Caligreasy crapping the bed again.

Reactions: namnik
Updated....again by my count, before today's date:

ACC..............11-5, 4/9 left
SEC................8-8, 0/8 left
Big 12............11-4, 4/8 left
Big East..........5-5, 1/6 left

As I look at this, what it really tells me is that there are too many bids going out to P5 conferences. I do get that there are upsets, Cuse I'm looking at you, but is just a matter of opportunity. Not justification for deserving a bid.

For giggles I updated with only deserving teams with above .500 conference records:

ACC..............5-4, 3/7 left (Did not count Cuse, FSU)
SEC................5-6, 0/6 left (Did not count Bama or aTm)
Big 12............9-0, 4/4 left (Did not count TCU, Texas, Okla, Okie State)
Big East..........4-4, 1/5 left (Did not count Butler)

Last edited:
Reactions: asindc
As I look at this, what it really tells me is that there are too many bids going out to P5 conferences. I do get that there are upsets, Cuse I'm looking at you, but when you put that many teams in with below .500 records this is what their conference will do in the NCAA.

Yes, indeed. Early in the 64-team tournament, some mid-major conferences would get 2-3 bids while it was almost unheard of for a P5 conference to get more than 5-6 and virtually no one got in if they didn't go .500 in their conference. The 8th and 9th placed teams in a P5 conference often are no better than 25-win mid major that loses its conference tourney. I say choose the mid-major rather than the 17-14 8th placed P5 team.

Yes, indeed. Early in the 64-team tournament, some mid-major conferences would get 2-3 bids while it was almost unheard of for a P5 conference to get more than 5-6 and virtually no one got in if they didn't go .500 in their conference. The 8th and 9th placed teams in a P5 conference often are no better than 25-win mid major that loses its conference tourney. I say choose the mid-major rather than the 17-14 8th placed P5 team.

Isn't the mid-majors what make March Madness great?

Reactions: asindc
I don't understand how LC was an 11 seed when they only had 5 losses all year, won @6 seed FL, won 30 in a row, and passed the eye test (with a senior laden team). Win or lose tomorrow, and they still had an impressive season. It does show how much the deck is stacked against anyone outside the power 5. They even played about as tough of a schedule as they could have been asked to. I'll admit I didn't think they had a chance to go far, but from watching them a few of the very few times they were on tv, they very much passed the eye test. Maybe the committee didn't bother to actually look at them? It's pretty obvious the teams they wanted to succeed, and power 5 bias will be there as long as there are athelitic directors from the power making the decisions. Don't get me started on WKU or, especially, St. Mary's or things like UNC and UK's setups. They had no intention of looking at the whole season on those....and conference tourneys were valued way too much. Then, a 5 seed getting essentially home court advantage while being extremely overtated in a bracket where the 1 seed can't consistently score and can't handle extremely long and athletic teams with the teams thought to be legit upset threats depending on athleticism with lack of size (when nobody is more athletic than that 5 seed and few are taller). I'm just ecstatic Cal had everything set up for him and went down while UNC did the same. Get the committee back to valuing the full seaaon, and when a smaller conference school does what you ask of them (with most big schools refusing to even play them) reward them! I hope Loyola wins it all, and they set records for ratings. Then, get some smaller conference input on the committee. I don't even know if that would help, but even with their run, Syracuse based on the whole season was not better than St Mary's or a slew of other schools. Alabama never should have been in.....done ranting...

As I look at this, what it really tells me is that there are too many bids going out to P5 conferences. I do get that there are upsets, Cuse I'm looking at you, but is just a matter of opportunity. Not justification for deserving a bid.

For giggles I updated with only deserving teams with above .500 conference records:

ACC..............5-4, 3/7 left (Did not count Cuse, FSU)
SEC................5-6, 0/6 left (Did not count Bama or aTm)
Big 12............9-0, 4/4 left (Did not count TCU, Texas, Okla, Okie State)
Big East..........4-4, 1/5 left (Did not count Butler)
A correction or two for you, Okie State did not go dancing. And put Arizona State on the did not count for the PAC12.

A correction or two for you, Okie State did not go dancing. And put Arizona State on the did not count for the PAC12.

Yeah, got mixed up on Okie State because of the NIT the other night... they were in my brain.. I wasn't counting the play end games so I didn't even get to ASU, but you are correct, I should have at least mentioned that.

Follow the money.... It's all set up for TV. UK draws ratings even a blowout (a lot from people rooting against). Couple that with more money the the NCAA from the big schools being successful and the selection committee not really having voices from smaller conferences, and you start to understand the problem. A 10 loss team (with a home loss to Wofford) should never be a 2 seed. I don't care about the arguement. A 5 seed should never be given home court advantage. All the mid majors were majority underrated. The SEC having a ton of mediocre teams that just won enough games before conference to be way overrated didn't help. Virginia was dominant enough and the ACC certainly had an impressive year, as a whole, but they were overrated a bit based on getting results in the early season (largely against very young B10 teams). Sorry for another rant on basically the same subject, but to paraphrase: It's all about $.

Follow the money.... It's all set up for TV. UK draws ratings even a blowout (a lot from people rooting against). Couple that with more money the the NCAA from the big schools being successful and the selection committee not really having voices from smaller conferences, and you start to understand the problem. A 10 loss team (with a home loss to Wofford) should never be a 2 seed. I don't care about the arguement. A 5 seed should never be given home court advantage. All the mid majors were majority underrated. The SEC having a ton of mediocre teams that just won enough games before conference to be way overrated didn't help. Virginia was dominant enough and the ACC certainly had an impressive year, as a whole, but they were overrated a bit based on getting results in the early season (largely against very young B10 teams). Sorry for another rant on basically the same subject, but to paraphrase: It's all about $.

I am going to have to disagree on one small point. Virginia went 17-1 in the ACC, not just early. Now, we all know that when you only put up 50+ a game you are susceptible, but you can't not give them a 1 seed with that overall record.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT