ADVERTISEMENT

Completely Unacceptable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ask UK, Duke UNC and KU about being a basketball school because it has not hurt their athletic department What is wrong for basketball being the focal point in the state of Indiana where basketball is king. We should at least be good at one and football will never be a title contender unlike basketball. The ceiling for this program is probably no better than 9 wins and asking a descent bowl game. Football will never be in contention for a national championship so why not concentrate for a team that can actually compete for a championship.
Why should basketball get all the love, Scott? Did it ever occur to you that there's actually people in the state who don't give a flip about basketball? Did that ever occur to you?

Basketball is weak sauce, I like it in March but iu takes it way too far. They haven't even won a title in 30 plus years. Damn. It's been awful on the football program.
I blame fans like you for the struggles of the football programs. Saying this is as ridiculous than blaming the basketball program for the football failures.

You guys and these clownish excuses for poor play. Arkansas is not good. IU is just worse, followed up by crapfests at home. IU has the mentality of a small-time MAC school in all it does. It’s amateur hour and lucky to be allowed in the Big Ten.
And, the worst thing is that you( yes -posters like YOU) tolerate it. You think the level of sports at IU is acceptable?

You need to visit some P5 schools that have a clue how to demand excellence in both programs.
having 7 players out is not an excuse. it is a reason. the ability to reason is what separates humans from animals. try it sometime

Why should basketball get all the love, Scott? Did it ever occur to you that there's actually people in the state who don't give a flip about basketball? Did that ever occur to you?
Just like TV you give what the majority of the fans wants to see and in Indiana that is basketball. Maybe you should go follow a team in Texas where football is king and leave Indiana for basketball because that is what most of the states want. What is bad there were more people in attendance watching Damon Bailey's high school championship game than most IU football games.

Did you move to Indiana from out of state?

How can you blame the fans for not wanting to spend a couple hundred bucks watching the crap product IU puts on the field year after year?

I blame fans like you for the struggles of the football programs. Saying this is as ridiculous than blaming the basketball program for the football failures.
Trust me, iu basketball has killed the football program. It has siphoned money off of the books that should've gone to football. They spend a ridiculous amount on Tom Crean, now Archie. That money should go to an A+ football staff, but no, it goes across the GD parking lot.

More mindless justifications from the “everything is fine” crowd. He didn’t even make the NIT! Terrible job and got smoked at home to 2 in-state directional schools. Yeah......Archie is like our football S&C program. Everything looks good on paper till they crumble on the court.
So how did this clueless coach get Dayton to the elite 8, Also as the season went along the team got better and improved and still finished 6th in the conference

RMK wasn't anything special at the end: don't shoot the messenger. And, that wasn't my fault, but RMK's fault. RMK was more concerned with fishing, hunting, and making IU look bad on a national level: squint and it is just like going undefeated in '76, right?

Archie has coached for a whole 1.1 years, and you can somehow judge him as the same as RMK from '94 on? F you. IU goes out and makes a good basketball hire, and people still piss and moan and won't give him a chance.
for knight, the game really passed him by on the defensive side.

Brohm 2 Allen 0
Allen inherited a better football team than Brohm and lost to him each season.
You go cheap and hire an Assistant Coach and you can't expect good results, that results to not caring about the football program.

This sort of logic is totally unacceptable here.

Shame on you.

Reactions: IUgradman
Did you move to Indiana from out of state?
That is foreign to me not caring about basketball.
Hell no, it's been shoved down my throat. Piss on iu basketball, plus, I realized football was a much better game at an early age. I was 8 when I realized it was just way more entertaining and interesting.

I couldn't believe people thought basketball was actually better than football. Then i got older and realized I was right, I was right all along.

How can you blame the fans for not wanting to spend a couple hundred bucks watching the crap product IU puts on the field year after year?
I don't blame them at all and they should lower there prices but a half empty stadium does not help the football program at all. It kills recruiting and for the players who come into the stadium seeing all those empty seats has to be demoralizing to them.

Trust me, iu basketball has killed the football program. It has siphoned money off of the books that should've gone to football. They spend a ridiculous amount on Tom Crean, now Archie. That money should go to an A+ football staff, but no, it goes across the GD parking lot.
Yet they spent millions of dollars for the facilities over the years. You will not draw any big time coaches until we have the facilities to compete and now we have those so we might actually be able to draw a coach.

The money spent on facilities alone says you're wrong.

It comes down to hiring decisions.

There was a concerted effort when it came to the basketball program.

Football...not so much.

More mindless justifications from the “everything is fine” crowd. He didn’t even make the NIT! Terrible job and got smoked at home to 2 in-state directional schools. Yeah......Archie is like our football S&C program. Everything looks good on paper till they crumble on the court.
when miller has indiana back as a top 10 program again will you promise to go away forever? until then you are welcome to try to force your misery on others. deal?

Hell no, it's been shoved down my throat. Piss on iu basketball, plus, I realized football was a much better game at an early age. I was 8 when I realized it was just way more entertaining and interesting.

I couldn't believe people thought basketball was actually better than football. Then i got older and realized I was right, I was right all along.
You should just move to a football state because most Indiana people find basketball way more entertaining and enjoyable to watch. If you actually timed the amount of actual play in a football game it is probably 15-20 minutes of action and the rest is time running with no action. What makes you right to think football is better since it is just your opinion and not a fact.

are you an alumnus?

I don't blame them at all and they should lower there prices but a half empty stadium does not help the football program at all. It kills recruiting and for the players who come into the stadium seeing all those empty seats has to be demoralizing to them.
yeah, tix should be $15 until they fill the stadium regularly

Of course you fail to comprehend that schools can be good in both. Schools demand to be good in both. Michigan and Michigan State have no issues throwing their full support behind both when it’s appropriate. And they trounce schools like IU. Just because you say everybody likes basketball better doesn’t automatically make it so. We have a basketball crazy fan base supporting a team that will be lucky to finish above 6th place in our own conference. It’s an archaic, doomed mentality you have.
Where did I ever say you couldn't be good at both. If Indiana was not crazy about basketball then we wouldn't have 9 of the 10 biggest high school gyms in the country and wouldn't have made a movie about high school basketball in Indiana. Also finishing 6th in the conference is way better than finishing 12th or lower every year in football.

What do you think your negative comments and attitude helps with either program because like it or not recruits and their families do read these boards. Do you really think all the negative comments by you and everybody else helps the program because it only hurts it in the long run.

Of course you fail to comprehend that schools can be good in both. Schools demand to be good in both. Michigan and Michigan State have no issues throwing their full support behind both when it’s appropriate. And they trounce schools like IU. Just because you say everybody likes basketball better doesn’t automatically make it so. We have a basketball crazy fan base supporting a team that will be lucky to finish above 6th place in our own conference. It’s an archaic, doomed mentality you have.

You're right. We are doomed. We should all guzzle cyanide. We'll follow your lead.

Are you really saying that from '94 on were the good old days, losing double digit games and first round NCAA exits? The years Crean went to the Sweet 16 and won the Big 10 were better than '94 on! RMK didn't do diddly poo at Tech, either. You really have lost your mind. Go start up a fire Archie post on the b-ball board or something.
No one said good ol days. You weren’t around for those. But we didn’t miss the tourney 6 times in 10 years then. In fact we didn’t miss it once. And it didn’t feel as bad because we weren’t far removed from national titles and a Final Four run.

What exactly are you trying to say? Archie is better than RMK?

No one said good ol days. You weren’t around for those. But we didn’t miss the tourney 6 times in 10 years then. In fact we didn’t miss it once. And it didn’t feel as bad because we weren’t far removed from national titles and a Final Four run.

What exactly are you trying to say? Archie is better than RMK?
Cool, you are really old: that doesn't make you special. 64-68 teams make the Tourney: simply making the NCAA's is not special. Wow, RMK went 18-11 and made the NCAA's! The fact is, RMK was the start of the mediocrity and a big part of the problem, and you make it sound like his ending was the "good old days." In fact, Crean going to the Sweet 16 and winning the Big 10 were better years than anything RMK did from '94 onward. RMK could have greatly helped IU by not mailing it in and peacefully paving the way for a successor. You're splitting some strange hairs, old man.

Archie is better than anything that has happened to IU basketball since 1994. Open your eyes. I think you would rather Archie failed so Glass would be fired and, somehow, Stevens would be hired.

Last edited:
Reactions: SRIV94
Cool, you are really old: that doesn't make you special. 64-68 teams make the Tourney: simply making the NCAA's is not special. Wow, RMK went 18-11 and made the NCAA's! The fact is, RMK was the start of the mediocrity and a big part of the problem, and you make it sound like his ending was the "good old days." In fact, Crean going to the Sweet 16 and winning the Big 10 were better years than anything RMK did from '94 onward. RMK could have greatly helped IU by not mailing it in and peacefully paving the way for a successor. You're splitting some strange hairs, old man.

Archie is better than anything that has happened to IU basketball since 1994. Open your eyes. I think you would rather Archie failed so Glass would be fired and, somehow, Stevens would be hired.
How would you know RMK was mailing it in? You were in diapers. I was close to the program then. Went on fishing trips with RMK. Spent a lot of time in Bloomington. IUBB was his life.

Anyone who thinks RMK was the problem has no credibility. RMK built IUBB. He was IUBB. He’s the only difference between us and Iowa/Penn St in basketball.

Yet Crean and Archie have accomplished so much. Truly unbelievable stuff.

How would you know RMK was mailing it in? You were in diapers. I was close to the program then. Went on fishing trips with RMK. Spent a lot of time in Bloomington. IUBB was his life.

Anyone who thinks RMK was the problem has no credibility. RMK built IUBB. He was IUBB. He’s the only difference between us and Iowa/Penn St in basketball.

I was here and he did take off those last few years of recruiting and it really hurt the program. Also we won 2 titles before RMK so he is not the only coach to win for us. No one said they did more than RMK but to think RMK did not start the mediocrity is wrong on your part.

I was here and he did take off those last few years of recruiting and it really hurt the program. Also we won 2 titles before RMK so he is not the only coach to win for us. No one said they did more than RMK but to think RMK did not start the mediocrity is wrong on your part.
Do doubt his effectiveness started to fall off, but he didn’t mail it in. He put together the 2002 team at the very end of his tenure. We were just used to greatness and he wasn’t great at the end. But he was still really good.

And he isn’t part of the debacle that has ensued during the 20 years since he left. Some of these kids have no idea. RMK is to IU what Wooden is to UCLA. What Coach K is to Duke.

There was an clear drop off from '94 onward. Look no further than his record. RMK never made it past the Sweet 16 and lost double digit games every year. RMK didn't adapt and the game passed him by. RMK didn't recruit like he used to. The rosters weren't well constructed. Players were ready for the season to end, some transferred. RMK became more known for his behavior than results.

RMK could have adapted and tried to find a new way to be great. He could have retired if he wasn't all in. He could have peacefully stepped aside and helped a smooth transition to a new coach occur. RMK did none of these things and hurt IU in the process.

You have a double standard. RMK's mediocrity from '94 on was no different than any other mediocrity after him.

Last edited:
Do doubt his effectiveness started to fall off, but he didn’t mail it in. He put together the 2002 team at the very end of his tenure. We were just used to greatness and he wasn’t great at the end. But he was still really good.

And he isn’t part of the debacle that has ensued during the 20 years since he left. Some of these kids have no idea. RMK is to IU what Wooden is to UCLA. What Coach K is to Duke.
I am saying if RMK was not such an idiot his last few years and left the way he should have then those bad years would probably had not occurred. The only thing that would worry me if they would have let RNK dictate his successor the we would have been stuck with Pat Knight for a few years.

If the stories DD is true about RMK is true then it is very telling on why we declined. The two stories were about telling Jacque Vaughn his offer would be pulled if he visited Michigan and the other on how he made Raef Lafrentz and his family wait for hours in his office waiting for RM

There was an clear drop off from '94 onward. Look no further than his record. RMK never made it past the Sweet 16 and lost double digit games every year. RMK didn't adapt and the game passed him by. RMK didn't recruit like he used to. The rosters weren't well constructed. Players were ready for the season to end. RMK became more well known for his behavior than results.

RMK could have adapted and try to find a new way to be great. He could have retired if he wasn't all in. He could have peacefully stepped aside and helped a smooth transition to a new coach occur. RMK did none of these things and hurt IU in the process.

You have a double standard. RMK's mediocrity from '94 on was no different than any other mediocrity after him.
After 94 he never made it to the sweet 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT