ADVERTISEMENT

Complete 2018 class with......

Dort and Phinesee. Langford is a 2-3, mostly a 3. Considering the commits in the past 24hr it would seem unlikely that Langford is going to be added.

A ball handler and and a pure shooter would be the likely targets. Dort seems like a Wilmont kind of guard. Rod really became an important player in his 5 seasons. But from the videos, Dort doesn't look like a pure shooter and is more of a power guard. That's fine, but then let's get a lock down downtowner if that is the case. And clearly a pass first pg would add balance to the class.

Dort and Phinesee. Langford is a 2-3, mostly a 3. Considering the commits in the past 24hr it would seem unlikely that Langford is going to be added.

A ball handler and and a pure shooter would be the likely targets. Dort seems like a Wilmont kind of guard. Rod really became an important player in his 5 seasons. But from the videos, Dort doesn't look like a pure shooter and is more of a power guard. That's fine, but then let's get a lock down downtowner if that is the case. And clearly a pass first pg would add balance to the class.
If Langford is unlikely to be added, it has absolutely nothing to do with the commitments today. We would take him in a heartbeat.

Reactions: iubud and cryano

He's too short to be a 3. He's only 6'4" not your typical size for a 3.

He's too short to be a 3. He's only 6'4" not your typical size for a 3.
Please tell me what the appropriate heights are for each position. I believe another 6'-4" forward that came to IU, got drafted #2, and currently is listed as a guard on the Pacers.

I guess he's listed at 6'5". I was thinking he was taller. Yes, IU would take him in a heartbeat whatever the size.

Please tell me what the appropriate heights are for each position. I believe another 6'-4" forward that came to IU, got drafted #2, and currently is listed as a guard on the Pacers.
yes and wasn't that the problem against Syracuse and their length. You can get away with a 6'4" at the 3 in high school ball but tends to hurt in D1 basketball.

If Langford is unlikely to be added, it has absolutely nothing to do with the commitments today. We would take him in a heartbeat.

Of course we'd take him. But I do think it's a sign that the staff isn't highly confident in our chances of landing him. I've long thought he will end up in either Durham or Louisville -- and I still do. I do wonder if UL's situation might cause him to be cautious with them, though. Just not sure we'd be his 2nd choice if he does.

But hope springs eternal.

yes and wasn't that the problem against Syracuse and their length. You can get away with a 6'4" at the 3 in high school ball but tends to hurt in D1 basketball.
Length on the wing wasn't the issue against Syracuse. Langford is a basketball player. If you can play with a 3 guard lineup in college, you can have a 6'-4 wing with the skills Romeo has.. If it makes you feel better, let's call him a guard and he will be the perfect height.

Dipo was never listed as a SF for IU, he was a SG and Crean played with 3 guards in the starting lineup. There is no doubt that it hurt us having 4 players (also including Watford) that were undersized.

Which is I really hope we land a big. Theres no guarantee that Deron will be a 3 year player and we dont want a 6'8 guy playing center.

The problem against Syracuse, as I remember it, has been dismissed. If ever a loss was on a coach, with the group he had, it was that game. ZERO adjustments.

At this point, Archie is recruiting Phinisee and Langford the hardest as well as 2019. Garland seems to be a long shot - but if schools decide to back off because his ankle injury, that could be good news for us. Langford also seems to be a lean towards Louisville, however Archie is on him hard. I believe we will land Phinisee and the class will be a wrap. Phinisee said Archie wants to get at least one person on the staff to Phinisee's games in July. After Phinisee announces his decision in July, hopefully to IU, are focus will go towards Langford and 2019.

At this point, Archie is recruiting Phinisee and Langford the hardest as well as 2019. Garland seems to be a long shot - but if schools decide to back off because his ankle injury, that could be good news for us. Langford also seems to be a lean towards Louisville, however Archie is on him hard. I believe we will land Phinisee and the class will be a wrap. Phinisee said Archie wants to get at least one person on the staff to Phinisee's games in July. After Phinisee announces his decision in July, hopefully to IU, are focus will go towards Langford and 2019.
They made it sound like IU has backed off Phinisee some after an rough spring/summer.

Front page article and not to mention we just offered another pg.
Hmm...not sure I buy into that. I don't have premium for rivals, however I follow another site religiously full of IU insiders who also follow the recruits. So far, there has not been a mention us backing off of Phinisee. However, when we stopped recruiting Musa it was quickly pointed out. I could be wrong.

Hmm...not sure I buy into that. I don't have premium for rivals, however I follow another site religiously full of IU insiders who also follow the recruits. So far, there has not been a mention us backing off of Phinisee. However, when we stopped recruiting Musa it was quickly pointed out. I could be wrong.
It was said he had a bad aau year. personally I'm not that high on him. If he wasn't from Indiana many in here wouldn't want him.

It was said he had a bad aau year. personally I'm not that high on him. If he wasn't from Indiana many in here wouldn't want him.
Agreed. I live in Lafayette. See him all the time and have always wondered if he can be a B1G player at our level. Shot is getting better but..... really good HS player. I've always felt he would be stud at ISU or Ball St Would t mind getting him just cause Purdue is so close but won't be upset if he chooses elsewhere

Reactions: bsmitty08
Agreed. I live in Lafayette. See him all the time and have always wondered if he can be a B1G player at our level. Shot is getting better but..... really good HS player. I've always felt he would be stud at ISU or Ball St Would t mind getting him just cause Purdue is so close but won't be upset if he chooses elsewhere
We offered Devoe yesterday and then another Pg today. So I think we are moving on from phinnissee

The problem against Syracuse, as I remember it, has been dismissed. If ever a loss was on a coach, with the group he had, it was that game. ZERO adjustments.
I'll admit the length Syracuse had in the back court did cause some issues for Hulls and Yogi, but as I remember it we didn't create passing lanes or get the defense moving to create openings. If there was a time to move the ball quickly, that was the time. Instead, we held the ball too long and then tried to force the ball into places that weren't open because we weren't moving and the ball wasn't moving.

Syracuse played their zone well and had players that fit their style of play. We didn't do enough to break them down. It is another case of the players not following the game plan, or not having the right game plan and not being able to adjust to what Syracuse was doing.

Reactions: mazz
I'll admit the length Syracuse had in the back court did cause some issues for Hulls and Yogi, but as I remember it we didn't create passing lanes or get the defense moving to create openings. If there was a time to move the ball quickly, that was the time. Instead, we held the ball too long and then tried to force the ball into places that weren't open because we weren't moving and the ball wasn't moving.

Syracuse played their zone well and had players that fit their style of play. We didn't do enough to break them down. It is another case of the players not following the game plan, or not having the right game plan and not being able to adjust to what Syracuse was doing.

I will forever remember that game for Cody Zeller flashing to the open spot in the zone at the FT line, shot faking and trying to drive - with horrible results.

Several of us were screaming at the TV "Just take the jumper!!" Cody could hit that shot all day long. But IMHO he had been told to drive to try to get 'Cuse into foul trouble. Only trouble that came from that was a #1 seed going down.

Dipo was never listed as a SF for IU, he was a SG and Crean played with 3 guards in the starting lineup. There is no doubt that it hurt us having 4 players (also including Watford) that were undersized.
What hurt us the most.....by far.......was having a coach who had NO CLUE how to beat a zone.

He could have had the Warriors and lost that game.

Peegs is wrong 99% of the time.

They said Wilkes was a lock when there was zero chance he was coming to IU.

ADVERTISEMENT