ADVERTISEMENT

Comparing flu deaths to COVID-19 deaths is like comparing apples to oranges

I'm quite well aware that our political parties have become more ideologically coherent over the past several decades. That's why I've put up at least a hundred posts saying so. But ideologically coherent parties don't mean we must have bad politics.We have bad politics because one of our major parties has lost its shit. (Hint: It's the one that put a corrupt mentally unfit imbecile in the White House.)

Yes, both parties have moved away from one another, but as I've pointed out countless times, Democrats have moved modestly to the left while Republicans have veered hard to the right.

anyone who hasn't realized Wall St now controls the DNC as well, is an idiot.

anyone who thinks Wall St has an economically liberal bone in their body on anything, is in the brain dead total imbecile category.

polar_house_means_2014.png

In 2012 political scientists Thomas Mann and Norman Ornstein wrote an essay entitled, "Let’s just say it: The Republicans are the problem."

We have been studying Washington politics and Congress for more than 40 years, and never have we seen them this dysfunctional. In our past writings, we have criticized both parties when we believed it was warranted. Today, however, we have no choice but to acknowledge that the core of the problem lies with the Republican Party.

The GOP has become an insurgent outlier in American politics. It is ideologically extreme; scornful of compromise; unmoved by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.

When one party moves this far from the mainstream, it makes it nearly impossible for the political system to deal constructively with the country’s challenges.
Since 2012, things have grown much worse. (See, e.g., Donald Trump, who is still supported by over 90 percent of Republicans -- even as the virus rages and our economy collapses due to his manifest incompetence.) Nevertheless, centristy centrists like you are unable to locate the problem, except in gauzy references to "politics", which is a thing you seem to think happens to us like the weather, rather than a calamity that identifiable people are inflicting on the rest of us.

Imagine a scale, hoot. On one side of the scale is a 10-ton weight. On the other side of the scale is a feather. Centristy centrists like you look at that scale and conclude: There's something on both sides. That's the Boy's Life political reporting I'm complaining about.

when you say "left" or "right", are you talking "socially" or "economically".

i find virtually everyone on here has no idea that being left or right socially, has absolutely zero to do with being left or right economically.

economically, both parties have fallen off the cliff to the right every since Wall St completed their controlling interest aquisition of the the DNC in the 80s, to go along with their prior RNC ownership.

anyone thinking Wall St hasn't taken controlling interest in the DNC to go along with their RNC ownership is an idiot.

anyone who thinks Wall St has an economically liberal bone in their body, is in the completely brain dead total imbecile category.

May be true about COH as well but Rock is laughable, Smelled him a mile away and last night's act should have dismissed any last doubts.
You're still relatively new in these parts. FWIW, in the five or so years I've been active in this forum, few people have stimulated more interesting and enlightening discussions than has Rock. Last night may not have been one of them, but don't think for a moment he's not capable of much much better. Some days you just feel like unloading with both barrels.

Reactions: hoot1
when you say "left" or "right", are you talking "socially" or "economically".

i find virtually everyone on here has no idea that being left or right socially, has absolutely zero to do with being left or right economically.

Hmmm not "everyone". Some of us have posts about this very thing in this very thread.

You're still relatively new in these parts. FWIW, in the five or so years I've been active in this forum, few people have stimulated more interesting and enlightening discussions than has Rock. Last night may not have been one of them, but don't think for a moment he's not capable of much much better. Some days you just feel like unloading with both barrels.

I have not seen anything in the couple of years I have been here that changes my opinion.

If he used to be something other than a bombastic, vapid, needy, know it all wannabe who continually misuses the vocabulary he looks up that we all see today...something changed.

Maybe he hit his head falling off of his high horse in 2016.

ADVERTISEMENT