ADVERTISEMENT

Communist California Sets Economic Growth Record. Budget SURPLUS hits $75 billion

Educated tech people are leaving calif as employers and employees recognize they can work anywhere for cheaper. But so what? I thought you cared about the middle class and poor?

You going with your gut feeling again?

no sir i just assumed techs and billionaires were educated. forgive my gut assumption. it's been pretty widely publicized

National poverty thresholds aren’t meaningful in California because of cost of living. . California leads the nation in poverty by many different measures.

California leads the nation in regulatory fads. It Could start by pulling that back.
You did read the OP, correct? They blow away every state in the US. Their GDP GROWTH was more than the entire GDP of Sweden.

What more do you expect from California? Seems the regulations are working well for the locals.

Nonsense.

You did read the OP, correct? They blow away every state in the US. Their GDP GROWTH was more than the entire GDP of Sweden.

What more do you expect from California? Seems the regulations are working well for the locals.
again you refuse to recognize the myriad inherent benefits calif enjoys. it SHOULD blow away every state

My take away from your OP is that Trumpism worked in California in Spite of California.

Reactions: UncleMark
no sir i just assumed techs and billionaires were educated. forgive my gut assumption. it's been pretty widely publicized

I get that, but there are "only" 188 billionaires in California. They're not all going to move to Texas. I personally can't stand Texas. But I've spent most of my time, by far, in Houston, Dallas, and Austin (overrated).

I get that, but there are "only" 188 billionaires in California. They're not all going to move to Texas. I personally can't stand Texas. But I've spent most of my time, by far, in Houston, Dallas, and Austin (overrated).
You conveniently left out the tech employees. Anyway never been to Dallas or Austin (want to but old and may have missed the optimal time for bars). I’ve spent a ton of time in Houston. Hate it. But it’s cheap

Last edited:
You conveniently left out the tech employees. Anyway never been to Dallas or Austin (want to but old and may have missed the optimal time for bars). I’ve spent a ton of time in Houston. Hate it. But it’s cheap
OMG. What about the finance employees????? Argh!!! Google it!

Yeah, by far I've spent the most time in Houston/Sugarland. It is a nightmare. Traffic is the worst I've ever experienced. A city with no soul. Rice University is a nice little campus, though. I guess traffic in CA is pretty terrible too, though, so it's a wash, but the sprawl is just crazy.

OMG. What about the finance employees????? Argh!!! Google it!

Yeah, by far I've spent the most time in Houston/Sugarland. It is a nightmare. Traffic is the worst I've ever experienced. A city with no soul. Rice University is a nice little campus, though. I guess traffic in CA is pretty terrible too, though, so it's a wash, but the sprawl is just crazy.
Houston/sugarland is exactly where I’ve spent a lot of time. Hell. Parts around downtown are cool but what a huge sprawling miserable place

Reactions: DrHoops
Houston/sugarland is exactly where I’ve spent a lot of time. Hell. Parts around downtown are cool but what a huge sprawling miserable place
There are kinda two downtown areas. It's weird. Never been to San Antonio. I'd like to check that out someday.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
River walk is great. Other than that SA is meh. Hill Country north of SA is nice. War in Pacific museum in Fredericksburg, Nimitz’s home town, is well worth the visit.
I'd like to check out that museum. I feel like we (Americans) don't know enough about the War in the Pacific.

But their economic growth is huge compared with any other state....and every other country except China. Household income is growing faster in California, by far, than any other states.

Better jobs, more money, beautiful state, better culture, everything.
The things you cited are like the asset side of a balance sheet only. But what are the debts/expenses and, especially in California, the taxes?

Others have mentioned the high California house prices, and I've lost track of where Calufornia utility bills and brownouts are today. Not having full power is, to me, a nonmometized cost, plus I wonder how California's electrical rates (water bills too) compare to the rest of the country.

Economic growth spurts are good but they don't mean much until we consider increases in costs like taxes, real estate, groceries, transportation security etc. etc. etc.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
The things you cited are like the asset side of a balance sheet only. But what are the debts/expenses and, especially in California, the taxes?

Others have mentioned the high California house prices, and I've lost track of where Calufornia utility bills and brownouts are today. Not having full power is, to me, a nonmometized cost, plus I wonder how California's electrical rates (water bills too) compare to the rest of the country.

Economic growth spurts are good but they don't mean much until we consider increases in costs like taxes, real estate, groceries, transportation security etc. etc. etc.
All of that information is in this thread.

Also, did you miss the news on the Texas power outage in February that killed 150 people?

All of that information is in this thread. Cali is the 7th most tax friendly state in the US for middle income families.

Also, did you miss the news on the Texas power outage?
you'd have to save a hell of a lot of taxes to offset that $500,000 plus difference in home prices

Reactions: Crayfish57

Also, did you miss the news on the Texas power outage in February that killed 150 people?
here are the top ten states for starting a business from forbes. nothin in the midwest

1. Utah
Florida
Texas
Colorado
California
North Carolina
Idaho
Oklahoma
Georgia
10. Wyoming

you'd have to save a hell of a lot of taxes to offset that $500,000 plus difference in home prices
California median home price is the third highest in the US after Hawaii and D.C. $550,000. Hawaii is $636,000. I guess people like beautiful places and pay a higher price. There's no winning for CA, apparently. If it's not taxes, it's home prices. If it's not home prices, it's something else.

No doubt it's expensive.

here are the top ten states for starting a business from forbes. nothin in the midwest

1. Utah
Florida
Texas
Colorado
California
North Carolina
Idaho
Oklahoma
Georgia
10. Wyoming
Yet that's not where the VC money is going. It's going to California.

The only state that surprises me is Oklahoma. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to move to Oklahoma. Even though I live here, the Mid-West is pretty bland and cold. People like the ocean and the mountains.

I like N. Carolina. My mom lives in Asheville, but get away from any city of size and there are lots of trailers with abandoned cars in their front yards. Still beautiful country though.

Yet that's not where the VC money is going. It's going to California.

The only state that surprises me is Oklahoma. I can't imagine anyone in their right mind wanting to move to Oklahoma. Even though I live here, the Mid-West is pretty bland and cold. People like the ocean and the mountains.

I like N. Carolina. My mom lives in Asheville, but get away from any city of size and there are lots of trailers with abandoned cars in their front yards. Still beautiful country though.
yeah that's most places doc. once you get out of any city it's rough. what was carville's line about penn. it's pittsburgh and philly with alabama between. i absolutely love north carolina. from the mountains to the wonderful universities to the beaches it's a fantastic place. and what a cool town for your mom to live in. fantastic.

What! Do you mean to tell me that Texas (rolling in oil and wind power) can't keep the lights on?

Hmmm....well, first, middle class taxes are lower in California than in Texas.

Better economy, better weather, beautiful mountains, beaches, agriculture, wine country, and most importantly, jobs (see the op). It's a pretty damned great place for MOST people. Also,

rump canceled 150,000 visa applications in CA. That would have made up for most of their population loss last year.
So help them out and move there.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Maybe we should just create one pinned thread entitled:

“Old Goobers Complaining about Cool States and Cities”

These treads are hilarious. People living in shitholes like St. Louis and small town Indiana are furious! Portlandia is on fire! Raaaaaaaa!!!!!!
With a sub-thread explaining how all races should feel about their choice of Juneteenth as a national holiday.

Reactions: UncleMark
And the median household income is 75k and median house is $813k. Is this lost on you. 700,000 people left calif for tx despite all those reasons. Why? Bc the avg household income is 75k and the avg house is $813,000. The price of dirt matters. Fing hell I feel like the mayor of Chicago and you’re one of my thick-headed staffers
Our household income is well above $75k and I couldn’t imagine paying mortgage on an $800k home. We bought our home for around $350k and that’s about our limit for what we want to pay.
okay let's make this simple

can we agree NY's and Calif's population growth the last ten years isn't as large as Tex's and FL's population growth?
Can’t speak for NY, but since 1950 California’s population went from 10 million to 40 million. I’d say it was inevitable that once the state reached saturation it had to start losing people. Too many people and not enough affordable housing is the result of over population. California is a huge state area wise, but a lot of that area is uninhabitable due to wildfire zones, deserts, mountains

From this article you linked it seems that the migration to and from California is taking care of economic matters on its own. However, most of the poor don’t have a choice to relocate and this will continue to be a larger problem as the gap between rich and poor in California keeps growing.

“Also of note: people who move to California have higher incomes than those who move away. Some have argued that the opposite is taking place—that California’s relatively progressive and high personal income tax rates drive out higher-income residents. But the fact is that California has been losing lower- and middle-income residents to other states for some time while continuing to gain higher-income adults. In the past five years the flow of middle-income residents out of the state has accelerated.”

Our household income is well above $75k and I couldn’t imagine paying mortgage on an $800k home. We bought our home for around $350k and that’s about our limit for what we want to pay.

Can’t speak for NY, but since 1950 California’s population went from 10 million to 40 million. I’d say it was inevitable that once the state reached saturation it had to start losing people. Too many people and not enough affordable housing is the result of over population. California is a huge state area wise, but a lot of that area is uninhabitable due to wildfire zones, deserts, mountains

From this article you linked it seems that the migration to and from California is taking care of economic matters on its own. However, most of the poor don’t have a choice to relocate and this will continue to be a larger problem as the gap between rich and poor in California keeps growing.

“Also of note: people who move to California have higher incomes than those who move away. Some have argued that the opposite is taking place—that California’s relatively progressive and high personal income tax rates drive out higher-income residents. But the fact is that California has been losing lower- and middle-income residents to other states for some time while continuing to gain higher-income adults. In the past five years the flow of middle-income residents out of the state has accelerated.”
Agree with much of this. I have two buddies in Manhattan beach. Years ago they were telling me people were starting to get 50 year mortgages in SoCal

I may have told this story before. Mrs Hooky is a Cali girl. In-laws are originally from Des Moines and live in the 1800ish sq foot house they built for 168k in 82 or 83 in the Bay area. FiL tells the story about his dad telling him he was nuts and would never get that money back. Most recent appraisal was 1.3 pre Covid. I assume it's only gone up. Their property taxes are more than the mortgage payment was.

Yes sir. And banking on equity. 50 year mortgages. Fractional interests. Different world

I was a lawyer in St. Louis for 15 years before moving to Napa in 2011. In St. Louis, my hourly billing rate was $300 per hour. It doubled when I moved to California. My mortgage also doubled, but the appreciation of my home's value way more than doubled. Real estate where I live has appreciated at 10% per year since I moved here a decade ago. My house in St. Louis has appreciated at 5% over the same period of time. The math is simple. Even after taxes, I make way more in California than I did in St. Louis.

I have a few friends who have moved from California in the past few years. Without exception, they were not thriving in their careers. California is tough in that scenario. The herd gets thinned.

I was a lawyer in St. Louis for 15 years before moving to Napa in 2011. In St. Louis, my hourly billing rate was $300 per hour. It doubled when I moved to California. My mortgage also doubled, but the appreciation of my home's value way more than doubled. Real estate where I live has appreciated at 10% per year since I moved here a decade ago. My house in St. Louis has appreciated at 5% over the same period of time. The math is simple. Even after taxes, I make way more in California than I did in St. Louis.

I have a few friends who have moved from California in the past few years. Without exception, they were not thriving in their careers. California is tough in that scenario. The herd gets thinned.
i'm in clayton. the median list price here is $800,000. new construction north of maryland ave goes from 2-5 mil. it's insane, and stupid. homes are 4 mil and two hundred yards from delmar. by way of comparison home prices in palm beach county have risen 21% in the last year and the median sales price is still just $370k. anyway, that's all secondarily important to the point that you just ruined my father's day with your story. great job. napa. lucky bastard.

ADVERTISEMENT