ADVERTISEMENT

Commit to W-I-N

SixthFlagComing

Freshman
Dec 15, 2012
One of the things that I feel has gotten lost over the years at IU is a simple commitment to winning...as an end goal, in, and of, itself. With Crean we were all about pace which led to turnovers which led to losses. And we never changed. With Archie we were all about the pack line which led to giving up a ton of easy threes which led to losing. And he wasn't going to change.

A competitive spirit demands that you do what you need to do to win the damn contest in which you're engaged. WIN THE DAMN GAME.

If you have to go into a zone, or go full court, or slow something down, or whatever...the goal is to win the damn game. NOT to religiously adhere to whatever your pet basketball philosophy is.

I was so happy to hear snippets of this commitment to win from CMW's presser. I think and HOPE that winning, actually doing what it takes to WIN, is going to be more important to this regime than all the tangential, philosophical crap we've dealt with in the past.

Go Coach Woodson! Go Hoosiers!

WIN!!!!!

I've said many times that losing is tough to accept when we don't do the hard things that separate us between winners and losers. I absolutely hate it when the coach says, "We were only a few plays from winning.". When a coach says that I hear a simple coaching mistake or an issue with player effort. Play hard. Period. Move on offense and play D like Coach Dale says: "Stick with your man. Think of him as chewing gum. By the end of the game, I want you to know what flavor he is."

Yep I’ve heard Woodson doesn’t believe in metrics THANK GOD. He believes in goals like let’s hold the opponent under 70 points as an example, much easier for kids to grasp. I freaking hate Metrics

Reactions: outlawyer
The best way to win is to pick a philosophy, recruit to it, teach it well, demand that it be executed, and not play kids that don’t execute it.

For sure, you need to have zones, presses, plays, etc... that you’ve spent some time on, to shake things up in unique situations. And it always helps to have versatile, talented kids that can adjust on their own and be successful. But you always need strong foundational things that your program can be based on.

The pack line doesn’t bother me. Our defense under Archie was never terrible. As long as you recruit to it, and demand it be executed, the Virginias and Wisconsins of the world prove it can be played well.

One very hopeful tidbit I took away from what Mike Woodson said is that he develops his teams and creates game plans around the strengths of his players. I'd rather see a coach do that than try to force a square peg in a circular hole.

One very hopeful tidbit I took away from what Mike Woodson said is that he develops his teams and creates game plans around the strengths of his players. I'd rather see a coach do that than try to force a square peg in a circular hole.
You mean a coach that comes up with a game plan based on his opponents weaknesses??? Wow will this be foreign territory for the team next year...........................

Reactions: outlawyer and 76-1
You mean a coach that comes up with a game plan based on his opponents weaknesses??? Wow will this be foreign territory for the team next year...........................
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that a Mike Woodson coached team will be a night & day difference over an Archie Miller coached team...

Reactions: outlawyer and 76-1
I've said many times that losing is tough to accept when we don't do the hard things that separate us between winners and losers. I absolutely hate it when the coach says, "We were only a few plays from winning.". When a coach says that I hear a simple coaching mistake or an issue with player effort. Play hard. Period. Move on offense and play D like Coach Dale says: "Stick with your man. Think of him as chewing gum. By the end of the game, I want you to know what flavor he is."
If your man goes to the bathroom I want you to go with him.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT