ADVERTISEMENT

Combine notes

Superstar84b

Freshman
Sep 1, 2017
The notes on some former players are interesting. I expect to see some guys not in the combine to get some looks too.

1. Ian Thomas: Had a good senior bowl week from reports and from what I was able to watch. Blocked MUCH better than he did this past season. Linebackers couldn’t really cover him. The scouts simply say it’s a matter of whether or not he can produce consistently, but the like the small sample size. It makes you wonder if he should’ve been red shirted in 16’. He measured in at 6’3.5” which is shorter than expected, but knowing how IU measures, I suspected he was in the 6’3” range anyway. Shouldn’t be an issue because he has good arm length. He did weigh in at 259. Teams could’ve told him to do so, but he played at 248, so we will see where his weight goes. His comparison was Jermaine Gresham, and I actually don’t think that’s a crazy comparison. We’ve only seen a small sample size of what Thomas can do. He could actually be a Jermaine Gresham as he develops this offseason.

2. Chris Covington: played well in the NFLPA game and he played his way into being a draftable player. As expected, the scouting report says his ability to play in the league will depend on whether or not he can recognize blocking schemes, which is expected for a guy who only really played 1 year as a full time starter. They view his coverage as adequate. I’d agree because we brought him in as a safety before he moved to QB, actually was a safety and QB in high school. Unlike Oliver last year, there are no questions about his coverage. He measured in at 6’2.2” which was expected. He is up to 245 which was unexpected. He hasn’t been that heavy before, but again, scouts/coaches my have told him to put on the weight. 245 is a realistic weight because he Measured in with long arms, still has a lean frame. His stock will come down to how well he can run. Can he run in the 4.6 range? He’s projected a 7th rounder, but a lot of it will come down to how he tests. Bottom line: scouts say he needs to learn FAST, and that’ll determine how long he survives in the league, because the measurables are prototypical.

3. Scales: Measured in at 6’03” and 230 pounds. Typically being 6’0” and small isn’t good, but his production was off the charts. Scouts love it. He has plenty to work on, but is highly enough rated off of production to get drafted. Rounds 3-5. Should be the highest linebacker pick to come out in a while. It’ll depend largely on how he tests. Being small is okay. Being small and slow isn’t okay. But his production alone could be enough to get drafted and I’d wager he’s a 4.6 guy easily. If he’s really feeling good he could be a high 4.5’s guy.

4. Simmie Cobbs: 6’3.1” And 220 pounds. You can’t teach size. Scouts loved that and his game vs. Ohio State obviously. No news here, but they mentioned the drop rate. It was actually pretty terrible, like 11% which is worse than I thought. He’s got a shot to be special. Really a boom or bust situation. I respect his choice to leave early though, and knowing his character, he’s put in the work. He’s projected in round 5, but scouts say how he runs will be a huge factor in where he goes. If he’s a high 4.4 guy, I’d wager he goes in round two based on his upside, size and speed. If he’s a 4.6 guy, it’s a toss up given his drop history. Hopefully he can figure out the drops and run at least in the high 4.5’s. That’ll assure that he gets drafted.

5. Fant: hasn’t measured in yet. Listed at his roster height of 5’10”, but scouts like him. A scout says he loves to play, but hates to hit. That’s fairly accurate. They see him as a dime guy I believe it said, but not an every down corner. Praised his leaping ability, but said he has the hands of a corner. They like his confidence. I thought their report was accurate. I hope fant makes it. The size and other factors will turn off half of the times, but I can see half of the teams give him a shot. Due to his competitiveness he can easily be a Malcolm butler type player who emerges after he gets used to the nfl game and Moreno physical.

In conclusion. The guy with the most upside from what I’ve read and seen is Covington. He’s the prototype for what you want at LB, and just has to find a team that will coach him up. He’s another guy who should’ve probably redshirted to get two years as a starter. In 15’ we wasted what could’ve been been a medical year, because he still was recovering from the ACL tear, and really wasn’t in a position to make an impact. But with all that said, he’s recovered now, and has a shot to Be a long-term starter IMHO.

Cobb’s ran a 4.64. Hopefully playing speed on tape helps him. Ian Thomas almost ran as fast at 4.69 and he’s 260

Reactions: reabhnt
Cobb’s ran a 4.64. Hopefully playing speed on tape helps him. Ian Thomas almost ran as fast at 4.69 and he’s 260

Those 40 numbers just dropped him to round 6. Never did understand why anyone thought he'd go in the first two... If he caught literally everything thrown his way his stock could overcome his lack of speed but unfortunately that's never been the case.

Now I hope the guy proves me, whoever passes on him in the draft, and any other naysayers, dead wrong and goes on to have a long productive, championship career in the "league", I just think this 2nd round stuff is and always was pie in the sky bs...

Last edited:
Todd McShay has an article in ESPN says that time for a WR is “major red flag”. Does make one wonder if he’d stayed one more year and worked on his speed (new coaches would have helped) and dominated next year likely would have helped his cause. Obviously still wish him the best of luck.

Has anyone seen his 10 and 20 yrd splits? I can’t find them. His 3 cone was really good.

Those 40 numbers just dropped him to round 6. Never did understand why anyone thought he'd go in the first two... If he caught literally everything thrown his way his stock could overcome his lack of speed but unfortunately that's never been the case.

Now I hope the guy proves me, whoever passes on him in the draft, and any other naysayers, dead wrong and goes on to have a long productive, championship career in the "league", I just think this 2nd round stuff is and always was pie in the sky bs...
He's a one trick pony, so staying isn't going to make him much more than that. He's a big body guy with pretty decent hands. He played very well against OSU corners in man to man and scouts see that and will salivate some. The knack is with guys like him is they aren't that fast and they don't run much route trees. They run verticals, lobs, back shoulder throw routes and that's pretty much it. Rarely are they asked to beat their man across the middle. So staying isn't going to help him there. Where it could have helped him is getting a little bit faster, but again, all he as to do is be a big body that catches the ball in the redzone. That's what a team will draft him for. He's probably a 6th round choice before the combine and I see no reason why he would drop from that area.

I think the only potential 2nd rounder we have in this draft is Thomas and that's a big maybe even with his performance Saturday.

Reactions: 76-1
The low reps on the bench may be a clue why IUFB has a new strength coach...
Yeah. I think Latimer had 20 plus on the bench, and ran a 4.38 at pro day. Cobbs who was supposed to be similar coming into his career obviously did much worse. Hard to say if it’s on the stregnth coach. I do recall being stunned that Redding ran a 4.78 last year at the combine, so it may be a stregnth and conditions issue. All signs show that’s turning around.

I don't think it's on the strength coach. I mean, look at Tegray - his numbers were good. I think it is just the players are lower caliber, not really NFL level. Both Redding and Cobbs should have come back for their final year, it certainly would seem, anyway.

Reactions: Superstar84b
WITH
I don't think it's on the strength coach. I mean, look at Tegray - his numbers were good. I think it is just the players are lower caliber, not really NFL level. Both Redding and Cobbs should have come back for their final year, it certainly would seem, anyway.
That’s a fair point. However, how much of that is because of natural talent, and how much is due to development. So latimer may have been higher caliber, but was it that he started at a higher base than Cobbs, or developed better under Hill? It’s really impossible to know when you think about it. All we know is that he did 11, and can’t hopefully get 14-15 at pro day, which is doable.

With Cobbs poor broad jump and vert I have to believe he didn’t adequately train his body for the type of conditioning needed for the next level.

All that said his 3 cone was really good and he has natural hands.

I thought Cobbs left a bunch of plays on the field. On side kick, dropped balls, etc. I’m not convinced about great hands. I say good but who cares wha I think. Vbg! I thought another year would be better but honestly some of the younger guys have better skills. Go Hoosiers! Good luck to him.

Cobbs has good size and a knack for getting contested balls, everything else is lacking. He out muscled a lot of DB's in college but it will be tougher at the next level.

Cobbs has good size and a knack for getting contested balls, everything else is lacking. He out muscled a lot of DB's in college but it will be tougher at the next level.
He did out muscle a lot of guys. His issue will be that he can’t get separation to begin with, which puts him in a situation where he has to out muscle guys to begin with. I’m usually not a guy who’s a fan of guys making position switches late in their football careers (usually a position switch needs to happen when a guy is 18, 19, 20 or younger) but Cobbs may realistically have a better shot at TE. I read that he wanted to lose weight and get to 215 headed into the combine. He couldn’t, he was still at 220. What that tells me is he’s naturally just a big guy. Even when trying to lose/barely eat, he’ll be at 220. That tells me that on a normal diet he could actually be a 235-240 pound guy. That’s big enough to be a receiving Tight end similar to Jordan Reed from the Redskins. It may be more realistic at this point for Cobbs to make that position switch to have an opportunity to have an extended career. He’s just naturally a bigger guy who has kind of outgrown the position.

Reactions: 76-1
He did out muscle a lot of guys. His issue will be that he can’t get separation to begin with, which puts him in a situation where he has to out muscle guys to begin with. I’m usually not a guy who’s a fan of guys making position switches late in their football careers (usually a position switch needs to happen when a guy is 18, 19, 20 or younger) but Cobbs may realistically have a better shot at TE. I read that he wanted to lose weight and get to 215 headed into the combine. He couldn’t, he was still at 220. What that tells me is he’s naturally just a big guy. Even when trying to lose/barely eat, he’ll be at 220. That tells me that on a normal diet he could actually be a 235-240 pound guy. That’s big enough to be a receiving Tight end similar to Jordan Reed from the Redskins. It may be more realistic at this point for Cobbs to make that position switch to have an opportunity to have an extended career. He’s just naturally a bigger guy who has kind of outgrown the position.
He’s not strong enough to be a TE

Reactions: Chriselli
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT