ADVERTISEMENT

COLUMN:The Hoosiers lost, and that's a good thing

snowling

Hall of Famer
by Greg Gottfried

This is the best possible thing that can happen to IU basketball.

Another game on national television, another disconcerting appearance. Immediately running out to a 9-0 lead, there was not a doubt in my mind and the Hoosier faithful that IU would allow Iowa to fight its way back into the contest.

An implosion of this sort to end the season — loss after loss, embarrassment after embarrassment — forces the Hoosier brass to look at the squad and really contemplate the future.

A better team would go for the jugular early in this type of must-win environment. A better team would call a timeout during a small Hawkeye run to kill the momentum. A better team would beat Iowa outright and not have to enter overtime against a definitively less-talented team.

Tom Crean and company are not a better team than almost anyone in the conference. The Big Ten is down overall this year. Yet, the Hoosiers can be found right near the cellar days away from March.

This team no longer cares. Sophomore center Thomas Bryant and junior forward James Blackmon Jr. may scream and pump their fists when things are going their way, but when the obstacles get a bit too challenging, the team gives up almost immediately.

Missed defensive rotations, an inability to even pretend to box out and then an immediate argument over which player screwed up doesn’t just happen every other game, it happens nearly every half.

Iowa’s no world-beater. They’re a subpar Big Ten team with nowhere near the amount of ability as its opposition on a near-nightly basis. Senior Peter Jok took the Hoosiers to the woodshed repeatedly with more than 30 points and Iowa — a team scoring less than 80 points a game — put up more than 90.

As the overtime period came to its fitful conclusion, ESPN color commentator Dan Dakich said it was the players' fault for not showing up, seemingly defending Crean. This is absurd. With the campaign almost over, the team is clueless. Yelling step-by-step plays from the sideline and holding up signs explaining simple basketball maneuvers does not just deserve reprimanding of the players. It’s an organizational issue from top to bottom.

As painful as it is, the Hoosiers need this. They need to continue to fail reprehensively, or else we’ll see this again next year. And the year after that. And the foreseeable future.

Trailing by nine with 21.7 seconds left, Crean called a timeout even though it seemed the only play left to call was the team meal after the loss. In the same vein of this season, Crean had to extend the pain. The Big Red fanatics had to wait for the next 20 seconds in which their team would eventually fall short once again.

An institutional shift is on the horizon, or more timeouts preceding more pain is all we have to look forward to.

gigottfr@indiana.edu

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2017/02/columnthe-hoosiers-lost-and-thats-a-good-thing

Go Hoosiers!

I'm an Iowa fan and have followed big 10 basketball very closely since the early 1990's. Indiana is a tradition rich program in a state filled with solid basketball players who dream of going to Indiana. With that said they've had some big injuries this year. Does Iowa win if OG is healthy? Probably not and I'm an Iowa fan. I don't think Crean is an exceptional X's and O's guy, but he's an average X's and O's guy and a very very good recruiter.

If you're an Indiana fan you have to realize that this season has had a lot of weird and unfortunate stuff happen. You also have a couple members of your back court that I don't think are that high character of guys. They are me guys and that hurts, especially when you combine it with injuries.

Just be thankful you don't have Steve Alford. He has all the talent in the world this year and I can promise you the elite 8 is the absolute best he does.
He is not a very very good recruiter at all but he should be with the budget he has. A few guys panned out but his recruiting is in the tank now.

Reactions: bsmitty08
Thomas Bryant is a pretty good one as well. By the way, why the heck didn't you get him more touches on the block?

I'm an Iowa fan and have followed big 10 basketball very closely since the early 1990's. Indiana is a tradition rich program in a state filled with solid basketball players who dream of going to Indiana. With that said they've had some big injuries this year. Does Iowa win if OG is healthy? Probably not and I'm an Iowa fan. I don't think Crean is an exceptional X's and O's guy, but he's an average X's and O's guy and a very very good recruiter.

If you're an Indiana fan you have to realize that this season has had a lot of weird and unfortunate stuff happen. You also have a couple members of your back court that I don't think are that high character of guys. They are me guys and that hurts, especially when you combine it with injuries.

Just be thankful you don't have Steve Alford. He has all the talent in the world this year and I can promise you the elite 8 is the absolute best he does.

Tread lightly, sir. You're not going to make friends here by talking about Alford, the captain of our last Title team. He may be an a$$hole, but he's our a$$hole. Truth be told, Iowa and Alford would have both been better off had he declined the HC position in Iowa City.

A good team with a good coach would have beat you guys by 30 points last night.

Not really a great recruiter because Indiana had 4 of the top 35 High school players and he got 0.

Reactions: TheVegasHoosier
Thomas Bryant is a pretty good one as well. By the way, why the heck didn't you get him more touches on the block?
Because we have a terrible coach. Cody didn't get many touches either. We welcome your opinion, but the bar is much higher here and they actually have a lot of talent to be 15-13....it is worthy of firing the dumb@ss

IU has an NBA Center who plays his tail off but never sees the ball. It is almost comical. Despite the key injuries, IU should be leading the league with their talent.

A good team with a good coach would have beat you guys by 30 points last night.
If if if if......As my father use to say, if the dog hadn't stopped to crap he wouldn't have gotten run over by the truck. If Iowa didn't start 4 freshmen they would have beat you guys by 30 points. blah blah blah..........you lost, get over it.

If if if if......As my father use to say, if the dog hadn't stopped to crap he wouldn't have gotten run over by the truck. If Iowa didn't start 4 freshmen they would have beat you guys by 30 points. blah blah blah..........you lost, get over it.

Most people wanted you to beat us.

You guys would have gotten whipped by a decent team with an average coach

I don't follow it as closely as Indiana fans.

Yogi
Victor
OG
Cody Z

Iowa fans would love to have bad recruits like this. Not sure what the most recent classes have looked like though.
Recruiting has sucked as of late. He has been taking a ton of projects and missed on 6 top 50 players from the state of Indiana the last 2 recruiting years. As for all that in state talent??? Next year we will most likely only have one scholarship player from Indiana on the roster and he should be a walkon

Get over it? Ugh, we want to get rid of our coach. So losing to a third rate program isn't really something we need to get over. Some of us even welcome it.

And, fwiw, your father was kinda dumb.

Probably true

shoulda.....woulda....coulda

Your attempts at trolling are pretty pathetic. You're a gnat beating on a horse we've already concluded is dead . . . congratulations.

If you want to go pick a fight, pick one with Northwestern fans. They've got reason to cheer and give it back to you . . . knowing that their program is ahead of yours and on the upswing.

Oh, and keep the KY handy . . . we'll be back, and when we are, you're gonna need it.

Reactions: T.M.P. and chris007
When the IDS jumps off the IU basketball bandwagon can seismic changes be far behind?

Trust me, most on here were probably thankful we lost to Iowa- there is absolutely nothing to get over.

Most fans hope the season tanks. Will be the premier opening in college hoops and the school with one of the largest fan bases, richest traditions and history, largest recruiting budget, fertile recruiting ground within the state will return to prominence.

by Greg Gottfried

This is the best possible thing that can happen to IU basketball.

Another game on national television, another disconcerting appearance. Immediately running out to a 9-0 lead, there was not a doubt in my mind and the Hoosier faithful that IU would allow Iowa to fight its way back into the contest.

An implosion of this sort to end the season — loss after loss, embarrassment after embarrassment — forces the Hoosier brass to look at the squad and really contemplate the future.

A better team would go for the jugular early in this type of must-win environment. A better team would call a timeout during a small Hawkeye run to kill the momentum. A better team would beat Iowa outright and not have to enter overtime against a definitively less-talented team.

Tom Crean and company are not a better team than almost anyone in the conference. The Big Ten is down overall this year. Yet, the Hoosiers can be found right near the cellar days away from March.

This team no longer cares. Sophomore center Thomas Bryant and junior forward James Blackmon Jr. may scream and pump their fists when things are going their way, but when the obstacles get a bit too challenging, the team gives up almost immediately.

Missed defensive rotations, an inability to even pretend to box out and then an immediate argument over which player screwed up doesn’t just happen every other game, it happens nearly every half.

Iowa’s no world-beater. They’re a subpar Big Ten team with nowhere near the amount of ability as its opposition on a near-nightly basis. Senior Peter Jok took the Hoosiers to the woodshed repeatedly with more than 30 points and Iowa — a team scoring less than 80 points a game — put up more than 90.

As the overtime period came to its fitful conclusion, ESPN color commentator Dan Dakich said it was the players' fault for not showing up, seemingly defending Crean. This is absurd. With the campaign almost over, the team is clueless. Yelling step-by-step plays from the sideline and holding up signs explaining simple basketball maneuvers does not just deserve reprimanding of the players. It’s an organizational issue from top to bottom.

As painful as it is, the Hoosiers need this. They need to continue to fail reprehensively, or else we’ll see this again next year. And the year after that. And the foreseeable future.

Trailing by nine with 21.7 seconds left, Crean called a timeout even though it seemed the only play left to call was the team meal after the loss. In the same vein of this season, Crean had to extend the pain. The Big Red fanatics had to wait for the next 20 seconds in which their team would eventually fall short once again.

An institutional shift is on the horizon, or more timeouts preceding more pain is all we have to look forward to.

gigottfr@indiana.edu

http://www.idsnews.com/article/2017/02/columnthe-hoosiers-lost-and-thats-a-good-thing

Go Hoosiers!
I feel like throwing a chair ...

Reactions: Bogie8870
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT