ADVERTISEMENT

Colts fans, here's what I don't get.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

plaxico80

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Nov 26, 2002
I'm sure Donald Brown is one helluva running back, but did I miss something? Does Joseph Addai suddenly suck? Sure, he had some injury problems, but he's still a very young back and I'm pretty sure he ain't exactly breaking down quite yet. The Colts offensive line looked like the problem to me, so I don't get it.

Yeah I get what you're saying, but this kid has breakaway speed

something the Colts haven't had in many years from that position. We found out that Addai can't shoulder the load by himself a couple years ago, and Brown is the perfect change of pace back to complement Joe.

Really all you need to know to understand why this pick was made is that the Colts pick the best available player, they don't draft by necessity as primary indicator.
This post was edited on 4/25 7:08 PM by BigRedBanners

Brown's one of those multi purpose backs...

Can run, catch and block. So in a way, it's 3 players in one.

I guess Colts feel they can get decent OL help coming up in the draft or something.

Addai is no longer motivated

he had injury problems because he was out of shape. once he got paid, he lost his edge (no pun intended).

Addai has 2 years left

I highly doubt he gets signed for another contract with the Colts. I like Addai but I don't think he hopping around running works in the Colts system real well. I think if the OL was healthly last year would have been a lot better.

Agree, they obviously didn't feel that Hood was worth #27 overall

they must have their sites set on someone in the later rounds. I really thought they were going to take Laurinitis with this pick once Peria Jerry was gone. But I don't think I've guessed a Colts first round pick right in a many years.

You are right, you don't get it, and you never will, because you are a

Steelers fan. When I look at the Colts, as a fan, I see big holes at RB. Addai is good, but he's VERY injury prone. Hart can be very good, but he's still about 8 months away from being 100% from a bad knee. So basically you had a good RB that's injury prone, another that won't be 100% all year, and all you are left with is Lance Ball and Chad Simpson. Scary

So, you fill your biggest need here, then you go to DT with the 2nd round pick and fix your 2nd biggest need (in my opinion of course).

Absolutely LOVE this pick...

...love Donald Brown.

I hope the Colts address DT and WR with their next two picks... we'll see.

I hate the pick...

And your right: the problem wasn't Addai, it was the plague of injuries on the OL. Brown's a great pick there IF you don't already have Addai.

I knew as soon as Green Bay traded up, this was going to end badly. No Jerry and they took Matthews, who would've been a great pickup for the Colts. Honestly, I would've rather had them draft Hakeem Nicks if they wanted to improve the offense. He at least gives you some size and strength at WR instead of a backup RB. Honestly, I think the only way this could've been worse is if they drafted Wells.

Sorry, not a fan of drafting RB's in the first round. Too many good ones..

..are available later in the draft and yes, being a Steeler fan, I can think of one guy that owns the Super Bowl record for the longest run from scrimmage and has two rings on his fingers....and he wasn't even drafted.

I hope Donald Brown becomes a real good player and he looks to have all the tools, but when I watched the Colts last season, the problem looked to be their offensive line. Not at RB.

Same boat

Address the real weaknesses. You have 5' linebackers, no interior DL and are down to 1 legit starting WR.

The colts will not make the playoffs next year. So begins the slide into years of top 10 draft pix.

Yep and I hated that pick and still do. What contribution did he...

...make to that championship team? He fumbled the ball all preseason and broke his shoulder in his first start. RB's normally have very short careers and again, you can always find good ones later in the draft...sometimes, as free agents.

Tell me which running back on the Colts roster could break away for

a big run. This gives the Colts some serious help and the two headed monster that helped get us to the superbowl. Now Addai won't run every snap and he'll be healthy down the stretch.

If you don't like it, it's probably the right pick

Top 10 draft pick next year?? HAHA, I will bet you on that.

Holy crap you're stupid

Denver? with what defense and what qb? Houston? They will be the same they always have been: also rans.

You really are a total bag

No I agree RB is a need for them, but DT, LB, and WR are more pressing...

and I think there were players just as good who could've filled those spots. Maualuga, Hood, and Nicks (who I think is going to be the 2nd best WR in this draft) are all available. And second string RBs can emerge from nowhere as easy as any position. tim Hightower was a later pick, Pierre Thomas was a late pick, you can list a lot of these guys.

Donald Brown helps the Colts, but what'll help that 31st ranked run game the most is the healthy line. The problem in other spots isn't they haven't been healthy; it's deficient players.
This post was edited on 4/25 7:23 PM by HoosierAlum2740

The reason the Colts lost in the playoffs was 2 things: 31st ranked

rushing attack and can't stop the run.

Problem #1 = upgrade OL or get people back from injuries and upgrade at RB.

Problem #2 = upgrade at DT

It appears the Colts believe that the 2nd year OL talent will be better and a healthy Saturday and Ugoh will shore up the OL. Now, you fix at RB.

Next pick, fix problem #2, if there's value at DT there. If not, pick a good WR, then address your DT and OLB in day 2.

Colts are probably looking ahead a couple years...

Brown as insurance when Addai's contract expires.

Yeah, Colts could've drafted a WR but Brown can catch the ball out of the backfield. Gotta keep weapons for Manning coming.

And they'll like get defense help later on in the draft.

Houston & Denver

Houston lost to the colts last year 27-31 & 27-33. Houston is young and on the rise, only lacking experience. Colts are on the decline and NO ONE can deny that.

Denver signed Brian Dawkins which will be the same effect as bob sanders had on the colts in the super bowl year. Not a dominant defense but one that can keep up with the new coach's offense.

if the colts win 10 games next year, superhoosier can blacklist me!

Why waste that long to blacklist you?**

This post was edited on 4/25 7:29 PM by DJinB-town

Tim Hightower sucks

but I agree that you can find RB value late in the draft. But they won't be ANYWHERE near as dynamic as this kid. He'll block for Manning too, which is a huge requirement for Colts RBs.

I think Polian understands what he's doing better than both of us, so I think I'll trust that he didn't think the WRs or DTs available were worth that pick. Nicks is overrated, and Hood is not a first round talent.

Giants didn't.

I'll admit, I'm pretty high on Hakeem Nicks. I like him more than the speed guys who are going to have problems getting the ball in ways other than trick plays and ST returns. I thought he might be a factor for Indy at WR and could keep Gonzalez in the slot.

Too pussy to bet then??

That's what I thought.

So Denver will all of the sudden be good on D because Dawkins? LMAO

And you never answered my question about QB in Denver. I don't think Orton can even throw it far enough to hit Marshall in stride down the field.

Read it and weep

Analysis: Hakeem Nicks fills the Giants' biggest need and should be able to contribute right away. He is as polished as any receiver in this year's draft and is a bear to bring down after the catch. I expect him to become Eli Manning's go-to guy in the coming years.

When was the last time the SB was won by a team with 1 feature back?

2009 - Pitt used a committee for RB all year
2008 - NY had 3 backs (Jacobs, Bradshaw, Ward)
2007 - Indy (Addai and Rhodes)
2006 - Pitt (Bettis and Parker)
2005, 2004 - New England always used committee with Faulk, Dillon, and others

You have to go back to St Louis with Faulk, but they weren't a dominant running team.

Denver in the late 90's with Terrell Davis or Dallas in the mid 90's with Emmitt.

The NFL has turned into a league where multiple backs are needed to be a good team.

Look how quick Tomlinson has faded and Shaun Alexander before him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT