ADVERTISEMENT

College Funding...

NickStromboli

All-American
Jun 28, 2007
Something that's been rolling around in my mind lately. Are you guys saving for your kids to go to school or do you feel that is their own burden to carry?

What we've told our girls is that they can go to the best in state public school for whatever they want to pursue. The only way otherwise would be through academic or athletic scholarship.

On my part I put money away in 529's on a monthly basis to fund their education and if there is a shortfall it would be funded out of my pocket as long as certain academic expectations are met.

Just curious to hear others thoughts on this as I know people have kids aged from out of school to infants on here.

I have a freshman (at Ball State) and a High School junior. We're having them take the Stafford loans (~$5500 a year) and we're paying the rest (tuition/books/housing) out of our pocket. I'm also paying the interest on the student loan as we go as long as they're in school so it'll still be just the original principle when they finish. We thought that it was important that they have some skin in the game.

That said, if they finish in good time and in good standing we'll probably pay their loans off for them. But we're not telling them that in advance. Like I said, they need to feel as if they have skin in the game.

Something that's been rolling around in my mind lately. Are you guys saving for your kids to go to school or do you feel that is their own burden to carry?

What we've told our girls is that they can go to the best in state public school for whatever they want to pursue. The only way otherwise would be through academic or athletic scholarship.

On my part I put money away in 529's on a monthly basis to fund their education and if there is a shortfall it would be funded out of my pocket as long as certain academic expectations are met.

Just curious to hear others thoughts on this as I know people have kids aged from out of school to infants on here.

We're putting money into 529 accounts. I work in higher ed and my employer pays 50% of my kids' tuition (regardless where they go). Who knows if I'll be working here in 14 years, though...

We'll probably take care of undergrad if we can swing it, but they're on their own for grad school.

We have a 529 plan set up for our kids and also have a savings account set up for them. The main reason we are doing both is if they don't go to college the 529 won't help much. I think schooling is important but if my child chooses to go to the military I want them to have something available. We also believe if they have a business idea or company they want to start as long as they present a business plan we are willing to allow them access to this money. I am not a firm believer every kid should go to college. I believe trade schools, military and business are other viable options. I went to college it was alright I can't remember half the crap I learned. I have great friends from college but my college experience is useless in the insurance world. I studied political science which means nothing when talking insurance. My wife studied criminal justice again useless for insurance. I have watched numerous college students come out of college with massive amounts of debt and are now waiters or waitresses. Then I talk to business owners who are in the trades and they can't find anyone to work and these are decent paying jobs. $20-35hr with full benefits. Heck one guy is making close to $45 and on some jobs gets $55. Yet these guys can't find anyone willing to work.

Our kids are 2,3 and 4 so we have a ways to go before we start discussing college, military, or work after high school. We are saving for it but we are not going to be parents that force them to go to college. They can make that decision when the time is right.

Reactions: largemouth
We have a 529 plan set up for our kids and also have a savings account set up for them. The main reason we are doing both is if they don't go to college the 529 won't help much. I think schooling is important but if my child chooses to go to the military I want them to have something available. We also believe if they have a business idea or company they want to start as long as they present a business plan we are willing to allow them access to this money. I am not a firm believer every kid should go to college. I believe trade schools, military and business are other viable options. I went to college it was alright I can't remember half the crap I learned. I have great friends from college but my college experience is useless in the insurance world. I studied political science which means nothing when talking insurance. My wife studied criminal justice again useless for insurance. I have watched numerous college students come out of college with massive amounts of debt and are now waiters or waitresses. Then I talk to business owners who are in the trades and they can't find anyone to work and these are decent paying jobs. $20-35hr with full benefits. Heck one guy is making close to $45 and on some jobs gets $55. Yet these guys can't find anyone willing to work.

Our kids are 2,3 and 4 so we have a ways to go before we start discussing college, military, or work after high school. We are saving for it but we are not going to be parents that force them to go to college. They can make that decision when the time is right.
I don't see my girls getting a Journeyman's card, but I see what you are saying especially college isn't for everyone. I also believe that kids need to understand what college is for. We aren't going to pay for them to get a BA in Comparative Literature or some other useless tripe. That's a rich guy kid's degree.

I hope they are attracted to a STEM degree of some sort and we are encouraging them in that direction.

I have a freshman (at Ball State) and a High School junior. We're having them take the Stafford loans (~$5500 a year) and we're paying the rest (tuition/books/housing) out of our pocket. I'm also paying the interest on the student loan as we go as long as they're in school so it'll still be just the original principle when they finish. We thought that it was important that they have some skin in the game.

That said, if they finish in good time and in good standing we'll probably pay their loans off for them. But we're not telling them that in advance. Like I said, they need to feel as if they have skin in the game.

My kids are only 8,5,2 but we're going to do something similar to Hank. Put money away but not tell them about it until they finish.

I hope that makes them take it more serious. It's a huge burden lifted if they can start out without a cloud of debt over their head.

We plan to pay full cost of in state schools. Anything beyond that, will be on him (them)....unless our finances are such to cover even more at that point, but that's a long way off. We have 529, etc....grandparents like to contribute as well.

Our parents fully paid for both of our undergrads, I had grad school paid by employer.

I like Hanks idea of skin in the game too, though.

What we're paying for the GD nanny is basically like paying for full time college right now. Maybe more.

As someone who has been paying off student loans for the past 5 years and will (unfortunately) be paying them off for at least the next 6-10, I respect any efforts to ease the burden on your kids. With wages being so stagnant and loans being a second rent check, it's a serious, serious liability.

I recently talked with an attorney that paid 2-3K total for law school tuition in the 70's. I felt like throwing up. I was charged with 15K of interest while I was in law school alone. I literally look at my student loan debt and laugh. The student debt bubble will burst at some point, and it won't be pretty.

I've also heard many a people say they paid for undergrad by working summers. Total mindblow for me. Took out the 20K in student loans, paid them off in 3 years at a job that didn't require a college degree, and never found a job before law school that required a degree. Parents helped with the rest of undergrad costs, earned what I could during summers.

It is kind of a shame that people look at arts and sciences as worthless because it isnt a trade or clear profession. The world needs more people that are educated on and care about the human condition and how life works, and undergrad isn't meant to make you business-wise. Granted, it makes much more sense when you are paying 5-10K instead of 80K and the economy doesn't suck.

Truthfully, if I had kids, I have no idea what I would tell them regarding college. If you have money or are dirt poor, I suppose it doesn't matter. For everyone else, there will be debt, and the job market is brutal. Where do you go now?

I recently talked with an attorney that paid 2-3K total for law school tuition in the 70's. I felt like throwing up. I was charged with 15K of interest while I was in law school alone. I literally look at my student loan debt and laugh. The student debt bubble will burst at some point, and it won't be pretty.

I've also heard many a people say they paid for undergrad by working summers. Total mindblow for me. Took out the 20K in student loans, paid them off in 3 years at a job that didn't require a college degree, and never found a job before law school that required a degree. Parents helped with the rest of undergrad costs, earned what I could during summers.

It is kind of a shame that people look at arts and sciences as worthless because it isnt a trade or clear profession. The world needs more people that are educated on and care about the human condition and how life works, and undergrad isn't meant to make you business-wise. Granted, it makes much more sense when you are paying 5-10K instead of 80K and the economy doesn't suck.

Truthfully, if I had kids, I have no idea what I would tell them regarding college. If you have money or are dirt poor, I suppose it doesn't matter. For everyone else, there will be debt, and the job market is brutal. Where do you go now?

You can go to IUPUI for $7k/yr in tuition. Probably another $2k for books/fees.

Assuming you could live at home, it's very easy to work enough to pay for that, I know HS classmates that did just that. And there is no reason you can't work 20 hrs/wk min while in school....I did all 4 years in Bloomington.

Now if you want the full 4 yr college experience, living on campus, etc...than easily double that cost. But you can go to college, and work your way through...assuming you pick a reasonable school.

You can go to IUPUI for $7k/yr in tuition. Probably another $2k for books/fees.

Assuming you could live at home, it's very easy to work enough to pay for that, I know HS classmates that did just that. And there is no reason you can't work 20 hrs/wk min while in school....I did all 4 years in Bloomington.

Now if you want the full 4 yr college experience, living on campus, etc...than easily double that cost. But you can go to college, and work your way through...assuming you pick a reasonable school.

I worked about 15 hours a week all 4 years in Bloomington, and those were 15 hours that could have been spent on my degree. Not everybody lives in Bloomington or a college town: I'd venture to say most do not. Most parents give you the boot at 18.

Even if you have parents that will pay your room and board, you would be lucky to pay 10K a year. Plus, you will be paying to commute, and time spent commuting is time not spent studying.

I worked about 15 hours a week all 4 years in Bloomington, and those were 15 hours that could have been spent on my degree. Not everybody lives in Bloomington or a college town: I'd venture to say most do not. Most parents give you the boot at 18.

Even if you have parents that will pay your room and board, you would be lucky to pay 10K a year. Plus, you will be paying to commute, and time spent commuting is time not spent studying.

There are community college classes that can cover your base 2 years of coursework offered in areas all over the place, not to mention online. Just confirm they are transferable credits to wherever you want to actually get your degree from.

I'm just saying, there are a multitude of ways that costs can be drastically reduced compared to the "traditional" 4 yr model.

Saying a pile of debt is inevitable is just not accurate. But one would have to work a lot, make wise academic choices regarding costs, and likely avoid the party aspect of college life. Now most 18-19 year olds aren't that disciplined, but it's not impossible.

Reactions: NickStromboli

It is a shame, but college is an investment in yourself. If I am investing 100k a piece in my kids they need to be able to get a value on that investment. I run call centers for an insurance company and I staff it with a lot of liberal art majors. The way the world is now I think it is very hard to practically go to school anymore for the "education" unless you are wealthy to begin with. Its much more practical to major in something that will pay off and has the clear profession even if its not "your passion".

Reactions: twenty02
There are community college classes that can cover your base 2 years of coursework offered in areas all over the place, not to mention online. Just confirm they are transferable credits to wherever you want to actually get your degree from.

I'm just saying, there are a multitude of ways that costs can be drastically reduced compared to the "traditional" 4 yr model.

Saying a pile of debt is inevitable is just not accurate. But one would have to work a lot, make wise academic choices regarding costs, and likely avoid the party aspect of college life. Now most 18-19 year olds aren't that disciplined, but it's not impossible.
Mom and Dad need to be the one's helping them make that decision. We know people in our Sunday School class that sent their daughter to a private "Christian College" and her major is basically how to be a piano teacher. Not piano performance or a business degree, a piano teacher. That kid is going to have a huge mound of student loans with no way to pay them off because her parents didn't even think to send her to a public school.

It is a shame, but college is an investment in yourself. If I am investing 100k a piece in my kids they need to be able to get a value on that investment. I run call centers for an insurance company and I staff it with a lot of liberal art majors. The way the world is now I think it is very hard to practically go to school anymore for the "education" unless you are wealthy to begin with. Its much more practical to major in something that will pay off and has the clear profession even if its not "your passion".

I agree.....I'll pay for the degree, on the condition that it has some form of marketability. Going and majoring in English Lit is a luxury item, not a wise investment.

Mom and Dad need to be the one's helping them make that decision. We know people in our Sunday School class that sent their daughter to a private "Christian College" and her major is basically how to be a piano teacher. Not piano performance or a business degree, a piano teacher. That kid is going to have a huge mound of student loans with no way to pay them off because her parents didn't even think to send her to a public school.

Parents are just as much the problem in many cases as the students, not offering wise guidance. I'm guessing millennial parents will be much more practical with their kids after seeing what havoc student loans and non marketable skills can have

Reactions: NickStromboli

I went to school in state, worked during the school year and summers, and reached my academic potential. I also had parents that helped. I still had 20K and juice when I graduated. Maybe one can do a little better. At some point, the focus has to be on getting a degree and reaching one's academic potential.

The main point is there are many kids moving back in with their parents, not finding jobs, or being underemployed after undergrad, no matter what their major was. There is a fundamental economic problem, and it isn't the fault of the student. The bigger issue is has undergrad become pointless and a scam? College is not the magical solution to all the country's economic issues that it has been made out to be. Perhaps it never was, but who gives a crap if you can pay for it by working summers and the economy doesn't suck.

I went to school in state, worked during the school year and summers, and reached my academic potential. I also had parents that helped. I still had 20K and juice when I graduated. Maybe one can do a little better. At some point, the focus has to be on getting a degree and reaching one's academic potential.

The main point is there are many kids moving back in with their parents, not finding jobs, or being underemployed after undergrad, no matter what their major was. There is a fundamental economic problem, and it isn't the fault of the student. The bigger issue is has undergrad become pointless and a scam? College is not the magical solution to all the country's economic issues that it has been made out to be. Perhaps it never was, but who gives a crap if you can pay for it by working summers and the economy doesn't suck.

As mentioned above, degree choice is a HUGE part of it.

A liberals arts degree doesn't have any market value. You could likely find a job paying equivalent without bothering with it.

OTOH, the median starting salary for this years Kelley undergrads is about $62k plus $5k signing bonus. In 2004 when I graduated it was about $43k + 3k. That's a fairly solid increase over 12 years when most wages have been flat. Indicates demand for marketable skills.

Reactions: mike41703
As mentioned above, degree choice is a HUGE part of it.

A liberals arts degree doesn't have any market value. You could likely find a job paying equivalent without bothering with it.

OTOH, the median starting salary for this years Kelley undergrads is about $62k plus $5k signing bonus. In 2004 when I graduated it was about $43k + 3k.

Degree choice really doesn't matter right now. There are fundamental economic issues that go beyond the student. I went to law school with the best and brightest, some of which had business degrees. Let's just say their pre law school careers were not what I would call impressive.

Say what you will about liberal arts and sciences, but they are academic pursuits, which is the point of undergrad. At the very least, Lit is a prelaw major. I may have a crap ton of debt, but the practice of law is still very lucrative. Plus, I would not consider business or that of its ilk to be an undergrad academic pursuit. There is a reason the Ivy Leagues dont offer business during undergrad.

Last edited:
i paid for the 1st four years for each of my two (27 and 25 now)

after that they're on their own

It's a cryin' shame that getting an undergrad degree has to been viewed as going to a glorified trade school. There was a time when the business community would take a well rounded liberal arts grad and train them up. Now they want plug and play automatons.

Degree choice really doesn't matter right now. There are fundamental economic issues that go beyond the student. I went to law school with the best and brightest, some of which had business degrees. Let's just say their pre law school careers were not what I would call impressive.

Say what you will about liberal arts and sciences, but they are academic pursuits, which is the point of undergrad. At the very least, Lit is a prelaw major. I may have a crap ton of debt, but the practice of law is still very lucrative. Plus, I would not consider business or that of its ilk to be considered an undergrad academic pursuit. There is a reason the Ivy Leagues dont offer business during undergrad.

Of course degree choice matters, that's ludicrous. Compare the prospects of an engineering, accounting or computer science major coming out of undergrad, vs a liberal arts major. The starting salaries from state level schools could be double for the former.

As I said above, liberal arts degrees have become a luxury item. Things change, you either adapt or keep fighting it and end up in a massive financial hole.

Of course degree choice matters, that's ludicrous. Compare the prospects of an engineering, accounting or computer science major coming out of undergrad, vs a liberal arts major. The starting salaries from state level schools could be double for the former.

As I said above, liberal arts degrees have become a luxury item. Things change, you either adapt or keep fighting it and end up in a massive financial hole.

Either you have been living under a rock since 2008 or graduated before it. I know plenty of older people that graduated with liberal arts degrees or didnt go to college at all and did just fine for themselves. If you are a recent undergrad major in anything and plan on stopping your education there, good luck and God bless. They are a dime a dozen with few open spots.

Academia is not a trade school. If the general direction is to make undergrad a trade school and to not pursue academics, then undergrad has lost its purpose. Engineering and computer science are not business degrees. Once again, business is not an academic endeavor: you should either not go to college at all or get a professional grad degree after you have a proper academic foundation.

We have put $0.00 towards savings for our kids' college education. No 529 plans. Nothing. We are putting away what we feel we need to for our own retirement. Our view is that if we're in position to retire, then we'll be able to pay for their college. They can finance college. We can't finance retirement.

Our hope is that we'll be in position to pay for IU or Purdue. If they want to go out of state to a better school than IU or Purdue, then we'll give IU/Purdue money to them. If they want to go somewhere worse, like Ole Miss, then they get nothing. That's the plan.

Either you have been living under a rock since 2008 or graduated before it. I know plenty of older people that graduated with liberal arts degrees or didnt go to college at all and did just fine for themselves. If you are a recent undergrad major in anything and plan on stopping your education there, good luck and God bless. They are a dime a dozen with few open spots.

Academia is not a trade school. If the general direction is to make undergrad a trade school and to not pursue academics, then undergrad has lost its purpose. Engineering and computer science are not business degrees. Once again, business is not an academic endeavor: you should either not go to college at all or get a professional grad degree after you have a proper academic foundation.

Well, you have to start somewhere. Doing nothing doesn't work out too well. The way things are now, getting a meaningful degree in business, engineering, finance, etc is a great start. Jobs are there for the right degrees. Once you get a job, it's all about gaining experience.

After you have experience you have all kinds of options for moving around and/or up. I agree getting started is the hard part, now more than ever, but you still have to play the odds.

I know I'm getting phucked in the stock market too but it's the best option a schmuck like me has.

Your opinions are totally out of step with this discussion of relating college to the job market, which was what this conversation started about, picking majors where there is a demand. Colleges will have to change, the market demands it. You can't continue to funnel thousands upon thousands of kids through liberal arts programs, charging them $30k/yr, when there is no job market for them, at least not one better than what they could have found without college.

You can get a finance, engineering, CS degree as an undergrad and have great job prospects without any grad school.

Your opinions are totally out of step with this discussion of relating college to the job market, which was what this conversation started about, picking majors where there is a demand. Colleges will have to change, the market demands it. You can't continue to funnel thousands upon thousands of kids through liberal arts programs, charging them $30k/yr, when there is no job market for them, at least not one better than what they could have found without college.

You can get a finance, engineering, CS degree as an undergrad and have great job prospects without any grad school.

You have absolutely zero idea about the job market for undergrads from 2008 to now. I'm trying to explain to you what it is. You are applying a pre 2008 recession mindset, which is obsolete. I actually know many people that have graduated since 2008, the best and the brightest, and you ignore it. There is not much of a demand for any undergraduate right now: I know this much, much better than you do. Your argument is basically splitting hairs.

You are applying a pseudo academic and economic theory towards academia, which is the opposite of the purpose of undergrad and college. College was never meant to be a business or opetated according to market principles, which is just one of the reasons academia is failing right now and headed for a major crash. Kids majoring in the "correct" major isn't going to fix the college debt bubble or lack of regulation on spending.

Last edited:
You have absolutely zero idea about the job market for undergrads from 2008 to now. I'm trying to explain to you what it is. You are applying a pre 2008 recession mindset, which is obsolete. I actually know many people that have graduated since 2008, the best and the brightest, and you ignore it. There is not much of a demand for any undergraduate right now: I know this much, much better than you do. Your argument is basically splitting hairs.

You are applying a pseudo academic and economic theory towards academia, which is the opposite of the purpose of undergrad and college. College was never meant to be a business or opetated according to market principles, which is just one of the reasons academia is failing right now and headed for a major crash. Kids majoring in the "correct" isn't going to fix the college debt bubble or lack of regulation on spending.

Lol, ok. We only hire about 75 to 100 undergrads every semester (Jan and June) in my org. And many either decline for better offers, or leave within a year or two for better opportunities/fits. Our 3 yr retention rate is about 50%...and our comp and work/life balance is very solid, IMO.

But we hire accounting and finance people...which according to you isn't a valid "academic" degree.

Front page of IBJ this week, bottom fold. Indy area tech firms have 1100+ openings for programming positions with avg starting salary of $87k. 5 years ago there were 300 openings with avg salary of $63k. They are recruiting undergrads direct from college and still can't fill them.

Your idea of what college is supposed to be is what is antiquated.

Bottom line, I'm not paying for my kids to get a liberal arts degree, unless we have the money to burn at that point.

Last edited:
Are you guys saving for your kids to go to school or do you feel that is their own burden to carry?

We have started a 529 and have about one year's worth of public school tuition, room, board & books saved already AT TODAY'S RATES (our daughter is 5). She'll get 4 years at a public school paid (hopefully) on our dime... The rest is up to her!!!

Lol, ok. We only hire about 75 to 100 undergrads every semester (Jan and June) in my org. And many either decline for better offers, or leave within a year or two for better opportunities/fits. Our 3 yr retention rate is about 50%...and our comp and work/life balance is very solid, IMO.

But we hire accounting and finance people...which according to you isn't a valid "academic" degree.

Front page of IBJ this week, bottom fold. Indy area tech firms have 1100+ openings for programming positions with avg starting salary of $87k. 5 years ago there were 300 openings with avg salary of $63k. They are recruiting undergrads direct from college and still can't fill them.

Your idea of what college is supposed to be is what is antiquated.

Bottom line, I'm not paying for my kids to get a liberal arts degree, unless we have the money to burn at that point.

You dont want your kid to be a doctor or a lawyer? Glad you aren't my parent. If studying and learning an academic topic is antiquated, then it is time to shutter college.

Lol indeed. Good for your little widget farm there and the 200 undergrads you come across. I have a much broader knowledge of post 2008 undergrads, which is backed by national data.

Once again, the market does not dictate what academia and college is or should be. The only thing you are doing is creating a market for pseudo degrees and helping to destroy the fundamental purpose of college. Basically, screw you. You might as well be hiring people without college degrees. You do not need an undergrad degree to do business.

I'm pretty sure a hooker can make a lot of money, and there is a demand for it. However, I don't think IU needs to start offering blow jobs 101.

Last edited:
You dont want your kid to be a doctor or a lawyer? Glad you aren't my parent. If studying and learning an academic topic is antiquated, then it is time to shutter college.

Lol indeed. Good for your little widget farm there and the 200 undergrads you come across. I have a much broader knowledge of post 2008 undergrads, which is backed by national data.

Once again, the market does not dictate what academia and college is or should be. The only thing you are doing is creating a market for pseudo degrees and helping to destroy the fundamental purpose of college. Basically, screw you. You might as well be hiring people without college degrees. You do not need an undergrad degree to do business.

I'm pretty sure a hooker can make a lot of money, and there is a demand for it. However, I don't think IU needs to start offering blow jobs 101.

Doctor, yes. Lawyer, hell no.

And you are a giant dumbass.

Law school is a giant ripoff. Unless you go to a very top tier law school you have next to no job prospects. A lot of law grads these days aren't even working on in the legal field.

Pharmacy school is a close second.

Do a Google search on 'law school grads jobs'. Not many happy campers.

Hmm. Shows that 7 in 8 recent grads get jobs based on a 2015 study.

Seems like all you have to do is be less retarded than 12.5% of the law grads.

Cake.

There are way too many shit law schools. I wouldn't send my kids to one unless it was a first tier school (and even then I'd prefer either the state law school or something in the top 25).

I'm pushing my kids into the sciences, engineering, computers, or math (assuming current conditions hold out). You can always go from one of those into other fields. But you can't go from other fields into those.

I don't know. I'm probably the 1 in 8 that's retarded.

LOL. I've just heard of several less than positive outcomes from acquaintances that went to T2 or T3 level schools. A mountain of debt and making wages that aren't better than undergrads from other disciplines.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT