ADVERTISEMENT

College 1 time free agency

Don't hate it the principle of it giving kids more freedom.

Except I know deep down that the blue bloods would basically start having recruiting classes that consist of like 5 5* prospects, 5 freshman all-americans, and 10 all-conference performers from around the country.

The quote in the article about putting the impetus on coaches to recruit kids that will stay is disingenuous at best. Almost every kid has NFL dreams and they'd be silly to not make any move toward that goal.

A Modest Proposal:

Maybe they should just go into an NCAA draft pool, and the college that picks them gets them. The draft would be like the NFL draft, in the sense that the "worst" team would get the first pick.

That'd keep the blue bloods from cherry-picking every other program's cream and would force the kids to consider where they likely are to get playing time as part of their initial choice of schools.

Burrows wouldn't have gone to LSU, he'd have gone to Akron. Fields wouldn't have gone to OSU, he'd have gone to UMASS.

Plus give the kids total free agency so long as they step down a class, from A to AA.

It's already being allowed for the flimsiest of reasons.

Might as well drop the pretense.
It's becoming almost like the old NBA Hardship Rule allowing a player to leave school early and be drafted. Once you got past the initial obvious cases, everyone found a way to create an angle and push the envelope to get the result they wanted.

Reactions: red hornet and DANC
Interesting. Might be a good compromise. Not sure how those different levels are defined anymore, though. P5 vs ??? FCS vs. FBS?
As far as I know, kids have always been able to move down a division (e.g. FBS --> FCS) without having to sit.

Reactions: vesuvius13
It is interesting how the transfer process has evolved. For many years players left programs because they did not receive enough playing time, and moved to a lower level or program not as good. Now it is often because the player is a star at a smaller program and feels he can show his talents on a higher stage. If I was a coach at a mid-major program I would never redshirt anyone of good ability, unless an injury is involved. The player will most often just move to a higher scale if he has eligibility remaining. The exception is the Ivy League, where a player has to leave after four seasons even if he has eligibility left.

Reactions: red hornet
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT