ADVERTISEMENT

Colleg Students raise alarm (anyone surprised?)

How long will students get to remain in campus?

• less than a month

Votes: 16 53.3%
  • less than two months

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • entire fall semester

Votes: 6 20.0%

• Total voters

IUAPEX

Senior
Jan 26, 2002
Greensboro, NC
The Washington Post had this article out ... begs the question as to how long before students sent home?

Just seems like the suits will close down the rest of the power 5 football soon. I have a friend with a student at Kenyon and they are putting freshman/sophomores on campus during the fall and junior/seniors in the spring ... that may help.

Meant to link article: https://apple.news/Ao_JXP8cnS_2SsAX0h-z1eA

Last edited:
The Washington Post had this article out ... begs the question as to how long before students sent home?

Just seems like the suits will close down the rest of the power 5 football soon. I have a friend with a student at Kenyon and they putting freshman/sophomores on campus during the fall and junior/seniors in the spring ... that may help.

That's wild. So what do the students do during their non-inperson semester... virtual? I have a friend that dual enrolled his son, who wanted to go to a private school, into a public university also and they've got to decide after the first week which he'll do. His logic was he's not paying private school tuition if it's virtual.

Reactions: cryano
That's wild. So what do the students do during their non-inperson semester... virtual? I have a friend that dual enrolled his son, who wanted to go to a private school, into a public university also and they've got to decide after the first week which he'll do. His logic was he's not paying private school tuition if it's virtual.
Why pay public school tuition if it's virtual?

I'm glad that's all behind me now. I can't imagine having to deal with all of this with my kids. Some of the stories I hear from co-workers and clients makes me flatulent.

Why pay public school tuition if it's virtual?

I'm glad that's all behind me now. I can't imagine having to deal with all of this with my kids. Some of the stories I hear from co-workers and clients makes me flatulent.

Well, if you want the college credit, you're going to have to enroll. I know a Mom who was ready to pack up her kids and take a gap year and just tour the country. If you could swing it, that is actually probably the best educational opportunity for a kid.

I was nervous about my son returning to college at Cornell, but they seem to be going to extraordinary lengths.

They wanted him to get tested before going to NY. He did (negative). He's now in a hotel for 14 days in isolation. arrived last Friday.

Then he gets tested as soon as he gets to campus, isolates for 24 hrs, gets the result, and if negative, moves into his dorm. He will then get tested every week, with 1 day turnaround of results, from a lab set up on campus at the veterinary school.

Masks are required, gatherings are banned (you pledge that you agree on both, under threat of immediate expulsion), dorms are under-capacity, big classes are online or a mix, smaller classes in person use larger rooms like auditoriums, to space people out.

After Thanksgiving classes are all on line, to prevent travel-related spread if they were to come back. Return in late January will model the return now, with full testng

Outbreaks wll be quickly identified via the <24 h turnaround, with quarantine facilities ready to go, and contact tracers ready. They also have a big on-campus hotel, being one of the biggie schools is hotel management instruction.

It seems like not an easy plan and Cornell has unusual resources, being an Ivy, rich endowment, sprawling spread-out campus, with the vet school, with the campus hotel, and especially being in a very small city, amenable to a bubble-like existence.

IU could do some of the same things, I would think. Inner city schools though would be much tougher.

Reactions: brianiu
My youngest is an incoming Freshman at Ball State and moves in to the dorm tomorrow. I give it two weeks, max, until he's back home.

Fvck this sh!t. Seriously.

Good friend's daughter is a freshman at UNC and is on her way back to Charlotte, via a 2 week stop in a friends condo to quarantine as best they can. Who saw this coming? Maybe everyone except our Pres?

My youngest is an incoming Freshman at Ball State and moves in to the dorm tomorrow. I give it two weeks, max, until he's back home.

Fvck this sh!t. Seriously.
Are they testing everybody? Health checks? Decompressing dorms? meal plans with takeaway meals? Big lectures online?

Are they testing everybody? Health checks? Decompressing dorms? meal plans with takeaway meals? Big lectures online?

Yeah. All of that. All but two of his classes are online. They've reduced the number of kids in the dorm (he has a roommate but not everybody does). I think he said they're staggering meal times, but I'm not sure exactly how they're gong to work that. He's already had two negative COVID tests in the last month. They're trying. We'll see how it turns out.

Reactions: outside shooter
I was nervous about my son returning to college at Cornell, but they seem to be going to extraordinary lengths.

They wanted him to get tested before going to NY. He did (negative). He's now in a hotel for 14 days in isolation. arrived last Friday.

Then he gets tested as soon as he gets to campus, isolates for 24 hrs, gets the result, and if negative, moves into his dorm. He will then get tested every week, with 1 day turnaround of results, from a lab set up on campus at the veterinary school.

Masks are required, gatherings are banned (you pledge that you agree on both, under threat of immediate expulsion), dorms are under-capacity, big classes are online or a mix, smaller classes in person use larger rooms like auditoriums, to space people out.

After Thanksgiving classes are all on line, to prevent travel-related spread if they were to come back. Return in late January will model the return now, with full testng

Outbreaks wll be quickly identified via the <24 h turnaround, with quarantine facilities ready to go, and contact tracers ready. They also have a big on-campus hotel, being one of the biggie schools is hotel management instruction.

It seems like not an easy plan and Cornell has unusual resources, being an Ivy, rich endowment, sprawling spread-out campus, with the vet school, with the campus hotel, and especially being in a very small city, amenable to a bubble-like existence.

IU could do some of the same things, I would think. Inner city schools though would be much tougher.

This is basically the model IU is following for the fall, with the exception that the tests given here before move-in have a 20-30 minute turnaround. Positive tests (tested twice if 1st is positive) are not allowed to move into university housing. Masks, contact tracing and adhering to social distancing are part of a Community Responsibility Acknowledgement everyone must sign. Failure to comply leads to expulsion. Every student (and staff) agree to be tested, not just those living in IU housing.

Last edited:
This is basically the model IU is following for the fall, with the exception that the tests given here before move-in have a 20-30 minute turnaround. Positive tests (tested twice if 1st is positive) are not allowed to move into university housing. Masks, contact tracing and adhering to social distancing are part of a Community Responsibility Acknowledgement everyone must sign. Failure to comply leads to expulsion. Every student (and staff) agree to be tested, not just those living in IU housing.

In my opinion, none of the safeguards will matter...

It's just common sense: you mix a student population of 50,000 with a city population of 85,000 and no amount of testing will prevent a major outbreak... The next predictable result will be a shutdown.... Then they send the kids home, then families and towns are decimated...

Didn't have to happen...

I'd give you a "Like" but it doesn't seem appropriate so here's a Thanks for the Link instead...

Seems clear these schools are all about the money..., full speed ahead..., damn the consequences...

What they seem to be forgetting is that many of the people who may be seriously affected by their actions (or lack of) are the same people writing the checks to them (parents and older alums)...

It'll be interesting to see who's left and how they feel about their respective schools presidents and governing bodies a couple of weeks into January 2021...

This Christmas is going to be more than just stressful..., I fear it will most likely be deadly...
(And it may all happen even sooner than that)

Last edited:
I'd give you a "Like" but it doesn't seem appropriate so here's a Thanks for the Link instead...

Seems clear these schools are all about the money..., full speed ahead..., damn the consequences...

What they seem to be forgetting is that many of the people who may be seriously affected by their actions (or lack of) are the same people writing the checks to them (parents and older alums)...

It'll be interesting to see who's left and how they feel about their respective schools presidents and governing bodies a couple of weeks into January 2021...

This Christmas is going to be more than just stressful..., I fear it will most likely be deadly...
(And it may all happen even sooner than that)

Try and become less depressed.
Its hard, but you can.

Step 1 - blow up your TV. The media has MEETINGS to figure out the WORST POSSIBLE way to present every story - (note - story, not fact). They are irresponsible fear-sellers. Help me kill their ratings. DO NOT WATCH.

Step 2 - look at the NUMBERS - they don't lie - they have no opinion - they don't vote. If you do this, you WILL SEE:

It's been bad, but getting better.
This too shall pass.
We can be thankful it was not worse (we coulda been alive in 1917).

First US death was reported 2/29, so lets say we're 6 months in. The numbers says the worst is already behind us as a nation (not as individuals - each case sucks for somebody, their family and friends.)

Current numbers:
Coronavirus Cases - 5,657,561
Deaths - 175,119
Source - https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

At those current numbers, which are both slowing, corona will finish a 12 month year as the third leading cause of death - even if we just double them - which would be inaccurate.

First 2 leading causes of death - cancer and heart disease (donate to those - it'll make you feel better).

CDC reported numbers - reasons for mortality - 2017 (most recent - makes a guy wonder why 2018 and 2019 aren't yet totaled, but you go with what you can get):

Heart disease: 647,457
Cancer: 599,108
Accidents (unintentional injuries): 169,936
Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 160,201
Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 146,383
Alzheimer’s disease: 121,404
Diabetes: 83,564
Influenza and Pneumonia: 55,672
Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome and nephrosis: 50,633
Intentional self-harm (suicide): 47,173

Peak for reported positive cases - middle 2 weeks of July
Peak for reported deaths - April

Over 200 vaccines are currently in development
25 are testing - 6 in phase 3
Two have KILLED the virus in tests.
KILLED IT.
And we're just getting started.

1 company - ONE - advised the US and UK government that they could manufacture ONE BILLION DOSES in 12 months. ONE COMPANY - ONE BILLION - ONE YEAR. Enough to innoculate every person in the US three times. Imagine what multiple companies can do.

You put one billion innoculations out there and its over world wide.
CNN might even shut down.

Stay safe.
IU Football will be back.
If not this season, then next.

But THIS IS GETTING BETTER, NOT WORSE.
And - if masks and hand-washing work - you can control your own risk.
You don't HAVE TO BE around anybody who doesn't have a mask - just use your legs.

Its hard, but you can.

Step 1 - blow up your TV. The media has MEETINGS to figure out the WORST POSSIBLE way to present every story - (note - story, not fact). They are irresponsible fear-sellers. Help me kill their ratings. DO NOT WATCH.

Step 2 - look at the NUMBERS - they don't lie - they have no opinion - they don't vote. If you do this, you WILL SEE:

This too shall pass.

First US death was reported 2/29, so lets say we're 6 months in. The numbers says the worst is already behind us as a nation (not as individuals - each case sucks for somebody, their family and friends.)

Current numbers:
Deaths - 175,119

At those current numbers, which are both slowing, corona will finish a 12 month year as the third leading cause of death - even if we just double them - which would be inaccurate.

First 2 leading causes of death - cancer and heart disease (donate to those - it'll make you feel better).

CDC reported numbers - reasons for mortality - 2017 (most recent - makes a guy wonder why 2018 and 2019 aren't yet totaled, but you go with what you can get):

KILLED IT.

1 company - ONE - advised the US and UK government that they could manufacture ONE BILLION DOSES in 12 months. ONE COMPANY - ONE BILLION - ONE YEAR. Enough to innoculate every person in the US three times. Imagine what multiple companies can do.

Stay safe.

You don't HAVE TO BE around anybody who doesn't have a mask - just use your legs.
I feel better already;)

KILLED IT.

Link to this info? A live virus challenge is not in any clinical trial anywhere that I have seen, and would certainly be unethical to even propose, in the developed world, for such a lethal pathogen.

So I am guessing that, if true, it is an ex vivo result, meaning

1) a person is vaccinated;
2) the person develops antibodies
3) a blood sample is drawn
4) that blood sample, in lab setting, is then exposed to live virus, and the survival of the virus is compromised.

or, the controlled exposure of the patient was to a modified, weakened, nonlethal form of the virus that is similarly infective.

Don't get me wrong: Either would be good news, but either would fall short of saying that a vaccinated person's immune system has been activated enough to have killed off the virus after a significant exposure.

I hope and expect that to happen, but it has to be seen in the real world in order to be confident,

Its hard, but you can.

This too shall pass.

Current numbers:
Deaths - 175,119

KILLED IT.

Stay safe.

That's not depression you're reading, that's Concern..., and the numbers I'm most concerned about will pop up 15 to 20 days after all these students come back home...

Tough to "control your own risk" when your family has to come in contact with the people who contract the Communist Chinese Virus...

Nurses can't just "walk away"...

Thanks for the advice though...:rolleyes:

Its hard, but you can.

This too shall pass.

Current numbers:
Deaths - 175,119

KILLED IT.

Stay safe.

You got step 1 correct then went off the rails....
1. Blow up your TV
2. Throw away the paper
3. Move to the country
4. Build you a home
5. Plant a little garden
6. Eat a lotta peaches
7. Try to find Jesus on your own

Link to this info? A live virus challenge is not in any clinical trial anywhere that I have seen, and would certainly be unethical to even propose, in the developed world, for such a lethal pathogen.

4) that blood sample, in lab setting, is then exposed to live virus, and the survival of the virus is compromised.

or, the controlled exposure of the patient was to a modified, weakened, nonlethal form of the virus that is similarly infective.

Don't get me wrong: Either would be good news, but either would fall short of saying that a vaccinated person's immune system has been activated enough to have killed off the virus after a significant exposure.

I hope and expect that to happen, but it has to be seen in the real world in order to be confident,

I sense we are about to argue semantics, so let me be more clear - a virus attaches itself to a cell because it cannot replicate itself. It must use the cell's replication process to make new virus cells.

This link - https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/18/health/coronavirus-vaccine-moderna-early-results/index.html - not sure if it's the original I saw, but it says basically (semantics) the same thing - and what you described - early phase tests showed the vaccine "neutralized" (their word, not mine) the virus, i.e. prevented it from replicating, which in laymans terms is "killed it" (prevented it from growing/living). I don't care if we shoot it or run over it with a car - so long as it ceases to be able to make people sick.

This link - https://cen.acs.org/business/outsou...ses-of-its-coronavirus-vaccine/98/web/2020/05 - discusses the billion per year doses.

This link - https://www.covid-19vaccinetracker.org/ - gives basic vaccine numbers (remember dear old Michael Milken? It's his "foundation" site). Scroll down a lot for more scientific nerdy info.

Last edited:
Reactions: outside shooter
You got step 1 correct then went off the rails....
1. Blow up your TV
2. Throw away the paper
3. Move to the country
4. Build you a home
5. Plant a little garden
6. Eat a lotta peaches
7. Try to find Jesus on your own

Still tough to listen to Prine yet.

Isn't fair for the guy to survive cancer then go down with this god-awful thing.

Reactions: eddy4iu and IUAPEX
Thanks

In a nutshell, they have identified speciic antibodies being formed after vaccination.

When those antibodies have been isolated and studied, separately, in vitro (i.e., in a test tube) it binds and disables live virus. It is a "neutralizing antibody". Many antibodies are in fact mere spectators.

So...

It is a good result. It is a litle bit of a stretch to imply that the vaccine is shown to cause virus killing in a person, though. We DO expect that, but what we know is that the vaccine is shown to cause antibody production in a person, and it's an antibody that SHOULD be able to prevent infection, since it separately is able to recognize the virus in a test tube.

Reactions: UncleMark

have you ever tried to rationalize with @MyTeamIsOnTheFloor ?

Just seems like the suits will close down the rest of the power 5 football soon. I have a friend with a student at Kenyon and they are putting freshman/sophomores on campus during the fall and junior/seniors in the spring ... that may help.

Are "colleg students" the same as college students?

I think the first four weeks are critical ... if the schools can get through that period and manage the volume of cases it would seem the students could remain on campus.

This is not a manage to zero situation ... it is a manage to a number situation, the campuses that can’t control the number will see students and their $$$ head home until they can try again.

150+ person ‘rager’ by the Poplars Garage last night got shut down. IUPD is now offering to go off campus to deal with these parties with the threat of expulsion from IU as a potential end result rather than just a BPD fine/night in jail.

150+ person ‘rager’ by the Poplars Garage last night got shut down. IUPD is now offering to go off campus to deal with these parties with the threat of expulsion from IU as a potential end result rather than just a BPD fine/night in jail.

Who would have Ever thought something like this would happen????? ((Double DWS))

Don't returning students have to sign a code of conduct regarding avoiding social gatherings and accept suspension or expulsion as a a consequence of noncompliance? That seems to me to be quite important, and I thought every school was doing that. If they did do that and have no enforcement protocols, then it wasn't thought through.

Reactions: BigMobe and IUAPEX
have you ever tried to rationalize with @MyTeamIsOnTheFloor ?

BlueSpottedGoose-size_restricted.gif

What all IU and all the rest of these schools have blissfully ((and I believe purposely [its All about that tuition $$$])) ignored is that the 60% plus of their students who live off campus are completely unsupervised and will be mingling with the general populace of whatever city or town they are situated in..., and doing exactly what they please, when they please...

Now that they've been caught on camera partying outdoors they'll just move indoors (like the old fashioned speakeasies) which actually makes transmission of the virus even more likely...

Those students might eventually reach herd immunity but their parents and grandparents won't have...

Don't returning students have to sign a code of conduct regarding avoiding social gatherings and accept suspension or expulsion as a a consequence of noncompliance? That seems to me to be quite important, and I thought every school was doing that. If they did do that and have no enforcement protocols, then it wasn't thought through.
If they aren't going to comply they better not go to the country of Peru. 11 people lost their life when the police raided an establishment because of Covid. I joked with my wife,"how are the people in Miami County going to handle this?" Then I felt bad that I joked. What a shame. The police killed young people, 11 of them because they did not do what was right. It kind of defeats the purpose.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT