ADVERTISEMENT

Cohen pleads guilty to false statements to Congress about Trump Tower Moscow project

shocking indeed.

This is a big deal. Among many other big deals. We lose track, because there are so many of them.

Think about the possible bases for impeachment:

- Emolument issues/lying about them
- foreign influence dictating foreign policy, because of personal financial dealings (related to emoluments)
- using the justice department as a weapon/intelligence gathering mechanism against the special council (basically obstruction of justice)
- many instances of obstruction of justice
- coordination/conspiracy with hostile foreign governments to win an election
-perjury

And I’m sure I left a few out. They all seem to be better than a 50/50 proposition at this point. Except for conspiracy- but it appears Mueller has some info tying all that together (see the pleading that revokes the Manafort plea agreement will be instructive, if we can actually see it. He’s saying Manafort lied- which means he has to prove he lied).

If any of those propositions are proven, it should be a no brainer case for impeachment & removal. I say removal, because I really don’t think that the president will resign like Nixon did. He’s going to go down swinging, and try to take down everything and everyone around him.

The news is coming fast now. I’d expect the next few months to be a roller coaster. And Trump’s twitter feed to be from another universe (more than it already is).

This is a big deal. Among many other big deals. We lose track, because there are so many of them.

- foreign influence dictating foreign policy, because of personal financial dealings (related to emoluments)
- using the justice department as a weapon/intelligence gathering mechanism against the special council (basically obstruction of justice)
-perjury

And I’m sure I left a few out. They all seem to be better than a 50/50 proposition at this point. Except for conspiracy- but it appears Mueller has some info tying all that together (see the pleading that revokes the Manafort plea agreement will be instructive, if we can actually see it. He’s saying Manafort lied- which means he has to prove he lied).

If any of those propositions are proven, it should be a no brainer case for impeachment & removal. I say removal, because I really don’t think that the president will resign like Nixon did. He’s going to go down swinging, and try to take down everything and everyone around him.

The news is coming fast now. I’d expect the next few months to be a roller coaster. And Trump’s twitter feed to be from another universe (more than it already is).
That's the concern I have, at least Nixon still had some morals as much as people may like to think otherwise.

-perjury

I don’t think impeachment is in the cards now. The gop base is totally vested in trump.

Reactions: Bill4411
Will any GOP leaders act? Will the entire GOP go into the muck with Trump or will one put country ahead of party? I’m not optimistic.

Have we hit a redline for any of the remaining GOP posters? Are you all still onboard?

I don’t think impeachment is in the cards now. The gop base is totally vested in trump.

Conviction and removing Trump from office is up to the Senate and getting ~20 GOP Senators to flip.

The House will be controlled by the Dems (with a pretty healthy majority) and just needs a majority to impeach.

I don’t think the Democrats are particularly anxious to impeach anyway. At this point there is little benefit, and significant potential political risk for attempting it. Barring a true bipartisan effort that is.

It’d be far better to work on fielding a candidate and platform to win back the WH. In 2020.

Reactions: hoot1 and twenty02

-perjury

Impeachment is an exercise in futility with a republican senate.

Reactions: Lucy01
Will any GOP leaders act? Will the entire GOP go into the muck with Trump or will one put country ahead of party? I’m not optimistic.

Have we hit a redline for any of the remaining GOP posters? Are you all still onboard?
The polls will be their guide.

That's the concern I have, at least Nixon still had some morals as much as people may like to think otherwise.

Ultimately, Nixon was a public servant. He was paranoid and power driven,but he believed he was doing what was right for the Country.

Trump is the scion of a Criminal Enterprise with the solitary overriding goal of promoting his Brand and expanding his business interests. He views Govt Regulations as an "inconvenience" and a minor obstacle to overcome in the pursuit of fulfilling his ultimate goals. He uses the litigation process as another way to use his wealth advantages to silence and dominate his enemies.

His major mistake is that he doesn't understand the principle of "checks and balances" because he never encountered it in his business dealings. I think he's in for a very rude awakening...

Impeachment is an exercise in futility with a republican senate.

I disagree. The report is going to be very damning. And it’ll be really hard to stick with him after it comes out.

Plus, the republicans will be ready to move on, once the house starts finding stuff out in their series of oversight hearings.

That’s assuming the report doesn’t come out first.

I disagree. The report is going to be very damning. And it’ll be really hard to stick with him after it comes out.

Plus, the republicans will be ready to move on, once the house starts finding stuff out in their series of oversight hearings.

IMO, impeachment is neither a strategy nor a foregone conclusion. Impeachment should be thoughtful and measured. All evidence should be gathered and if the POTUS has committed high crimes and/or misdemeanors, he should be rightly impeached. That is the mechanism that the Founding Fathers installed to deal with a corrupt executive. The House should do it’s job if the evidence calls for that action. Let history be the judge of the cowardice of the GOP should they fail to act.

You’re amazingly confident. You could be very disappointed.

I suspect Trump's renewed craziness on twitter following Cohen's plea tells us all we need to know,with regards to how tightly Mueller has Trump's balls in a vice grip. The puzzle pieces just continue to come together
Could be. Could be you’ll be disappointed too. I would be good with him resigning, but I’m not hopeful it will happen. I’d probably end up disappointed as well.

I probably will be ;)

There’s just too much seeping out right now. And, there’s multiple avenues that can lead to impeachment. The odds are growing that one of those avenues will come to fruition.

Plus, Trump is a crook. Before he came into office, he hung out with a bunch of crooks. It was a way of life to him.

He has no concept of honest business, or doing things in an ethical way. His presidency has largely been an extension of that so far. That’s why you see him attack the free press, our intelligence operations, fellow republicans, etc, etc. He’s been able to get away with horrible, unethical behavior in his life up tot his point. But we are a nation of laws, checks and balances and institutions that enforce those things. That’s a little different than what he’s used to doing, where he could do whatever he wanted and call on some lawyers to clean up whatever mess he left behind.

In many ways, the parallels to watergate are incredible. And they’re given us a template for what to expect, and how this all works.

A prominent attorney recently released an article in a national law journal that lays out exactly what transpired in watergate, and the parallels are striking. He gave something like 7 basis/counts for the impeachment. The editor of the publication was the guy that was behind the open records request that led to the declassification of all the watergate legal documents that had been classified.

When I have time, I’ll find it. I think everyone here should read it- I think maybe then you guys will understand why I’m growing more confident that impeachment is inevitable.

Reactions: iu_a_att
Could be. Could be you’ll be disappointed too. I would be good with him resigning, but I’m not hopeful it will happen. I’d probably end up disappointed as well.

He won’t resign. He’ll go down swinging. Like he always does. No matter how small the issue.

And he’ll take down everything and anyone he can. He’s already trying to go after his perceived enemies. And the information hasn’t even been released. How do you think he’ll act when the information is public?

I just hope there’s not too much collateral damage to our country. But I fear there will be.

I am very disappointed that so many of my fellow citizens with the direct support of the Republican Party saw fit to elect Trump. I am disappointed at the thorough going betrayal of our common values that Trump and the #newGOP implicitly and explicitly endorse and enact. I see nothing that leads me to believe that either Trump, the Republican Party or their hard core base will do anything but dig deeper. The only hope I see is that many suburban and technocratic #oldGOP will at least temporarily abandon the GOP in 2020. That happened during the midterms so maybe it will happen in 2020.

I am very disappointed that so many of my fellow citizens with the direct support of the Republican Party saw fit to elect Trump. I am disappointed at the thorough going betrayal of our common values that Trump and the #newGOP implicitly and explicitly endorse and enact. I see nothing that leads me to believe that either Trump, the Republican Party or their hard core base will do anything but dig deeper. The only hope I see is that many suburban and technocratic #oldGOP will at least temporarily abandon the GOP in 2020. That happened during the midterms so maybe it will happen in 2020.
Your attitude about Republicans was just about as negative before Trump. I’d guess you’ve always been disappointed in Republican voters.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Your attitude about Republicans was just about as negative before Trump. I’d guess you’ve always been disappointed in Republican voters.
I assure you my disappointment is much greater now.
Prior to Trump I believed that there was a basis of shared values common across the parties. A commitment to Democracy, a commitment to the West. A commitment to found institutions and agreements that would facilitate peaceful and productive international exchange. A commitment to the United States being a nation of laws not men. I have learned that the #newGOP does not share those values.

I assure you my disappointment is much greater now.
Prior to Trump I believed that there was a basis of shared values common across the parties. A commitment to Democracy, a commitment to the West. A commitment to found institutions and agreements that would facilitate peaceful and productive international exchange. A commitment to the United States being a nation of laws not men. I have learned that the #newGOP does not share those values.
I think you exaggerate, but there are concerns.

Cohen is just another lowlife lying attorney! There all the same.

Judging by actions alone I would say that your disappointment with the emergence of Trump and the #newGOP is much more significant than mine. After all, you actually changed your voting behavior in the face of those changes. My voting behavior has not changed a bit.

I’ll try to find an article that summaries everything that Trump has done. I think the sheer volume of it will surprise you. We tend to quickly forget everything, because he’s so out of bounds. And another outrageous action usurps the previous one in the news cycle. Quite simply, there’s not enough air time to take deep dives into everything he’s done.

Seriously, some of these things aren’t even mentioned by conservative media. Or if they are, they explain them away, or mention it quickly then move on. We’ve got a criminal enterprise running the White House- we’re in uncharted territory. The emoluments issues alone should disqualify him. For christ’s sake, Jimmy Carter had to sell a damn peanut farm, and that was a scandal! We’ve got a guy that never divested himself from any of his businesses, and his sons still run it. And there’s numerous examples of his company being granted licenses/green lights on projects in foreign countries. We simply don’t know if he’s doing something because it helps the Trump organization financially.

Why do you think Deutsche Bank was just raided? I have no doubt that Trump and his team are knee deep in money laundering related to all of that. And don’t forget that Cohen just admitted that he was still trying to negotiate on Trump’s behalf to build Trump tower in Moscow. And it kept happening, even a month after Trump secured the pub nomination.

That’s just one area. And it’s not just his twitter behavior. It’s much deeper than that.

I’m a little disappointed you can’t see all of this. I’ve always respected you and your posts. Still do, but I’m a little perplexed as to how this stuff doesn’t register much on your radar. I kinda get it- I defended Clinton after the Lewsinsky stuff. And I was wrong. But that’s personal behavior involving a cone sting adult- this is a guy that’s damaging our country, and we don’t know why he’s doing a lot of the things he’s doing.

But we will soon ;)

I’ll try to find an article that summaries everything that Trump has done. I think the sheer volume of it will surprise you. We tend to quickly forget everything, because he’s so out of bounds. And another outrageous action usurps the previous one in the news cycle. Quite simply, there’s not enough air time to take deep dives into everything he’s done.

Seriously, some of these things aren’t even mentioned by conservative media. Or if they are, they explain them away, or mention it quickly then move on. We’ve got a criminal enterprise running the White House- we’re in uncharted territory. The emoluments issues alone should disqualify him. For christ’s sake, Jimmy Carter had to sell a damn peanut farm, and that was a scandal! We’ve got a guy that never divested himself from any of his businesses, and his sons still run it. And there’s numerous examples of his company being granted licenses/green lights on projects in foreign countries. We simply don’t know if he’s doing something because it helps the Trump organization financially.

Why do you think Deutsche Bank was just raided? I have no doubt that Trump and his team are knee deep in money laundering related to all of that. And don’t forget that Cohen just admitted that he was still trying to negotiate on Trump’s behalf to build Trump tower in Moscow. And it kept happening, even a month after Trump secured the pub nomination.

That’s just one area. And it’s not just his twitter behavior. It’s much deeper than that.

I’m a little disappointed you can’t see all of this. I’ve always respected you and your posts. Still do, but I’m a little perplexed as to how this stuff doesn’t register much on your radar. I kinda get it- I defended Clinton after the Lewsinsky stuff. And I was wrong. But that’s personal behavior involving a cone sting adult- this is a guy that’s damaging our country, and we don’t know why he’s doing a lot of the things he’s doing.

But we will soon ;)
You may have defended Clinton, but I’m not defending Trump. I’ve always thought he was a crooked dishonest person, but that doesn’t necessarily mean he’s committed crimes. He may have (and it wouldn’t be a shock), and Mueller may report that. He might not, and I’m just saying those counting on that might be disappointed. If he does than I’m all for an impeachment.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cajun54
It would be nice if one player investigating this alleged collusion caper scenario could actually prove Trump did something illegal. Anything? Anyone?

It would be nice if one player investigating this alleged collusion caper scenario could actually prove Trump did something illegal. Anything? Anyone?

We should keep a copy of this post. I wonder what HillzHoozier will post when the Mueller report begins to come out.

We should keep a copy of this post. I wonder what HillzHoozier will post when the Mueller report begins to come out.
I'm seriously asking. After all this time I've not read or heard about a single instance of any American citizen having broken a law related to conspiring with a foreign gov't to rig the election. I don't believe that actually happened, but would be interested in following this more closely if there were any proof at all. There's none. Seems weird that people are even still talking about this.

Nah, it’ll be played off as some nefarious plan perpetrated by that damn evil Pelosi. The excuse is already baked in.

I'm seriously asking. After all this time I've not read or heard about a single instance of any American citizen having broken a law related to conspiring with a foreign gov't to rig the election. I don't believe that actually happened, but would be interested in following this more closely if there were any proof at all. There's none. Seems weird that people are even still talking about this.
Hillz, I am literally laughing out loud at the above post. No matter how many times folks have seriously pointed out the likely and speculative scope of allegations that might be well-established by the Mueller report you keep asking the same question . . .

. . . well, good luck with the same schtick. It's so old it's got mold on it . . . .

Let's just wait until Mueller issues his report . . . both of us will have to live with it for a long time anyway.

Reactions: cosmickid
Sure. You really believe he didn’t know about the meeting Jr. had? Of course he did. It’s not that difficult.

I don't understand this post. None of us (including you) are privy to what Mueller HAS, until he releases his report. Some of us might feel we have a pretty good suspicion what some of the report likely concludes,but I don't think any of us in that scenario are confidant (at this point) in naming specifics...

You seem to be at the opposite end of the conjecture spectrum,and appear to want to make the case that Mueller's silence on specific issues means Mueller knows nothing that you don't. I can't really follow that logic,as it appears you want to glean everything Mueller knows before he releases the relevant indictments/ criminal complaints.

Again I refer you to Trump's latest twitter tirades and the scorched earth policy being engaged in by Rudy and the rest of Team Trump Defense as pretty strong evidence that Cohen has the dirt and they know it. Only people who have been living in isolation under a rock accept Trump's ridiculous claims regarding his relationship with Cohen. The "I barely knew him" defense is not going to fly with rational people.

Incidentally NBC reported that based on Cohen's plea regarding lying to Congress,even GOP Committees are now scouring thru previous witness testimony to determine who might have perjured themselves in testimony before them. That course of action probably won't be duplicated in the House (till January). But it shows that even in the Chamber which (post January) will provide Trump his greatest hope for keeping his job, people are taking Cohen's assertions very seriously...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT