ADVERTISEMENT

Coffee talk (Er snobbery)

Eppy99

All-American
Gold Member
Oct 27, 2001
What do you use for making your coffee and what kinda beans do you buy?

I threw out my Keurig about 3 months ago and it’s the best decision I’ve made in years. I know longer make quick coffee that takes like shit. I strictly make French press which takes about 5 minutes but tastes soo much better. Sometimes we waste a little bit but it’s worth it. We also have a larger drip pot for company. Just a standard filtereres Mr Coffee pot. I’m considering buying and 8 cup Chemex. They look super cool but I’ve heard the coffee is great. Anyone use this method? I also enjoy a pour over from time to time at the local coffee shop.

As for beans I usually buy different dark roasts from Starbucks. I like the French, Espresso, Sumatra and Verona. I’m also a big fan of LaVazza coffee.

I’m open to buying coffee with your impassioned suggestions.

https://goo.gl/images/BE2Zig

I threw out my Keurig about 3 months ago and it’s the best decision I’ve made in years. I know longer make quick coffee that takes like shit. I strictly make French press which takes about 5 minutes but tastes soo much better. Sometimes we waste a little bit but it’s worth it. We also have a larger drip pot for company. Just a standard filtereres Mr Coffee pot. I’m considering buying and 8 cup Chemex. They look super cool but I’ve heard the coffee is great. Anyone use this method? I also enjoy a pour over from time to time at the local coffee shop.

As for beans I usually buy different dark roasts from Starbucks. I like the French, Espresso, Sumatra and Verona. I’m also a big fan of LaVazza coffee.

Ok ... I’m pretty much a snob on this too. First, leave Starbucks ... good for a car ride, but you can do better.

I spent some scratch on a Saeco Granbaristo Avanti machine (linked below). Second I try various coffees ... Jamaican Blue Mountain is top notch, but expensive ... so is pure Kona ... but both are great. For a more reasonable try kicking horse or Peet’s. Last ... I have a bag of Don Pablo Subtle Earth ... and I like it.

Have fun ... great coffee is worth figuring out.

Awesome Coffee Machine

2EAoEgP1_400x400.jpg

Ok ... I’m pretty much a snob on this too. First, leave Starbucks ... good for a car ride, but you can do better.

I spent some scratch on a Saeco Granbaristo Avanti machine (linked below). Second I try various coffees ... Jamaican Blue Mountain is top notch, but expensive ... so is pure Kona ... but both are great. For a more reasonable try kicking horse or Peet’s. Last ... I have a bag of Don Pablo Subtle Earth ... and I like it.

Awesome Coffee Machine
I'm not cheap, but I can't ever see myself spending that much. I'd gladly just use my french press or similar. It cant be that much better right?

I sure do like coffee. When I’m not making It in the French press, I’ve been making cold brew at home for a long time now. It’s strong but not bitter, and delicious. And easy to make. As far as coffee shops go, Starbucks is fine, but I always go with indigenous coffee. If in doubt, I always look for the local Australian coffee spot. They’re way ahead of the pack with coffee.

Here’s an excellent article about coffee and the nba:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...l-blazers-nba-most-well-traveled-team-running

Awesome Coffee Machine
I'm not cheap, but I can't ever see myself spending that much. I'd gladly just use my french press or similar. It cant be that much better right?

Here is the deal ... no you can’t really justify the expense. But the espresso is phenom and it allows you to customize the strength via the app. Additionally for my family (I mainly drink it straight black) it has all the milk based drinks with ease and a great froth. The last machine (a jura) lasted 10 years ... we payed for that with the major reduction of coffee purchases outside the home.

So ... no more $3.00+ cups of coffee as we get a better product at home. Take just reducing three cups out a week and you are saving $9 ... that’s $450/year ... so breakeven can be reached.

I also like waking up and pressing a button ... not grinding the beans and all the other work. That said, you can make a good cup with a french press and still eliminate the coffee out ... so again can’t really justify unless you have a family who wants the milk-based offers that a french press can’t produce.

You can't beat the cup you can get from an Aeropress with properly ground, fresh coffee.

The importance of grinding properly can't be overstated. If you're using a blade grinder, throw that piece of junk out and get a proper conical burr grinder. Here's a nice little inexpensive grinder that does a great job once you get the grind dialed in properly.

I have started roasting my own coffee. It's surprisingly easy to do and you can't get more fresh coffee. I use this heatgun / dog bowl method. It's only about a $25 investment in equipment. The only down side is you have to do it outdoors which this time of year may not be convenient depending on conditions outside when you're wanting to roast.

I drink 5-6 cups of coffee per week. I only started drinking any coffee 5 years ago. For me, a single serving Keurig machine is all I will ever need since my wife does not drink coffee. Keurig Green Mountain has become a client of ours.

I need cream and one Stevia in whatever flavor I try. I am still experimenting. An interesting development is you can now buy Theraflu pods for brewers that use these K-cups or pods.

You're going to laugh, but I use one of these from time to time. It's the best cup of coffee outside our french press. Anytime we're car camping, it goes with us.

rHAvn9v.jpg

Reactions: UncleMark

I have one of those one cup machines called Proctor Silex. I will drink it throughout the week if I want a cup. I am careful because of my blood pressure not to have too much caffeine on most days. On Sunday I use a regular coffee maker my wife got at a used place because I drink two or more cups. I tell my folks that with the Holy Spirit and coffee I am ready to preach.
BTW, do you eat certain foods with your coffee or do you just have it alone? I love coffee with eggs. It just goes together well. As far as types of coffee we just get ours at the grocery store or Dollar General. It's usually the generic regular coffee.

I buy green coffee from Sweet Maria's usually 20 pounds at a time and roast it myself. My wife bought me a roaster after the hot air popcorn popper that I used died. 2 cups of roasted green coffee will last me roughly 2 weeks and most varieties of coffee are between $6.00-$8.00 per pound(less when you buy larger quantities). So I end up with very good coffee on the cheap.

You're going to laugh, but I use one of these from time to time. It's the best cup of coffee outside our french press. Anytime we're car camping, it goes with us.

rHAvn9v.jpg
We dont wanna know what that box of Kleenex is all about thank you.

Barrington coffee has some great stuff. Stump town is great too. Buy coffee direct, almost always fresher than buying in stores or a coffee store online. IMO brewing method matters, but not as much as good, fresh beans & a conical burr grinder for consistent ground sizes. We use French press on weekends & they are terrific but have settled on the convenience of a drip during the week.

Reactions: IUAPEX
Nespresso

Thats what I use. But honestly, if you do a blind taste test with me, I can barely tell good coffee from great coffee. I also have a french press and another contraption (which I inherited from ex-GFs), cloth filters etc which I never use.
I have roasted Sumatra, some Japanese branded expresso and a pack of Kopi Luwak beans in the pantry. I highly doubt if I can tell the difference between them and my ready-made coffee (3 in 1) or tea for that matter.
clear.png
clear.png
They are seriously wasted on my ignorant taste buds. :(

What are we looking for in deciphering 'good' coffee from 'great' coffee?

Thats what I use. But honestly, if you do a blind taste test with me, I can barely tell good coffee from great coffee. I also have a french press and another contraption (which I inherited from ex-GFs), cloth filters etc which I never use.
I have roasted Sumatra, some Japanese branded expresso and a pack of Kopi Luwak beans in the pantry. I highly doubt if I can tell the difference between them and my ready-made coffee (3 in 1) or tea for that matter.
clear.png
clear.png

First you had girlfriends? Second, are you using the word inherited instead of stole? LoL Love the coffee talk. Good thread.

First you had girlfriends? Second, are you using the word inherited instead of stole? LoL Love the coffee talk. Good thread.

You wouldn't believe my personal life even if I told you. But you can sprinkle some holy e-water on me regardless. I still have girlfriends.

The Dr Eppy and I went on a coffee tour while visiting Costa Rica a few years back. I highly recommend visiting a plantation and seeing how they make coffee. It’s a heck of a process just to get the beans from plant to our cup. It gave me a much greater appreciation for the process. It also taught me not to be wasteful. I’d rather reheat coffee then throw out and make a new pot. Also recommend the chocolate tour if you ever get the chance.

clear.png
clear.png

Good coffee is a good, strong cup of joe after a long night. Great coffee is the same, when shared with a hot chick who threw on your shirt to get a cup and wants to jump back in the sack after she has it!

My son likes Starbucks...took him there today and figured I’d give ‘coffee’ another shot...w lst time prob being over 20 yrs ago.
Ordered a white Flat Blonde(?)- that shit was gross.
My son said ‘You should just stick to beer dad!’ Made me laugh...and I agree.

Ive never been a fan or coffee or any other hot drink.

Update: I bought the 8 cup Chemex. So here’s my short review. The coffee was extremly good. It tastes smoother and def more filtered than my French Press. What I don’t like is it takes a long ass time to complete. I’d say a good ten minutes of me standing there pouring hot water while it slowly drips waiting to pour more in a cicrcular motion so the grind gets evenly wet. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but I don’t think so. I do need to upgrade to a conical burr grinder from my blade so maybe that will make a difference. The other issue with it taking so long is keeping the coffee and kettle water hot.

Anyone have a chemex or other pour over with answers to my issues? I do think owning a pour over is worth having. I may just go to target and buy a single serve pour over for like $10.

Update: I bought the 8 cup Chemex. So here’s my short review. The coffee was extremly good. It tastes smoother and def more filtered than my French Press. What I don’t like is it takes a long ass time to complete. I’d say a good ten minutes of me standing there pouring hot water while it slowly drips waiting to pour more in a cicrcular motion so the grind gets evenly wet. Maybe I’m doing it wrong but I don’t think so. I do need to upgrade to a conical burr grinder from my blade so maybe that will make a difference. The other issue with it taking so long is keeping the coffee and kettle water hot.

Anyone have a chemex or other pour over with answers to my issues? I do think owning a pour over is worth having. I may just go to target and buy a single serve pour over for like $10.
A canoe tripping buddy does the pour over thing. It's the same story you tell, standing around, waiting to pour in a little more, then drinking luke warm coffee.

I love an outdoor writer from MI named Jerry Dennis. Great short stories about fishing, canoeing and all kinds of outdoor pursuits; reminds me of some of my best days growing up, and ones (not enough!) I tried to share with my kids.

Anyway, one of his stories is about coffee; specifically camp coffee. If you like coffee and have a few minutes to kill, you might enjoy it:

https://jerrydennis.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/CampCoffee.pdf

I love an outdoor writer from MI named Jerry Dennis. Great short stories about fishing, canoeing and all kinds of outdoor pursuits; reminds me of some of my best days growing up, and ones (not enough!) I tried to share with my kids.

Anyway, one of his stories is about coffee; specifically camp coffee. If you like coffee and have a few minutes to kill, you might enjoy it:

https://jerrydennis.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/CampCoffee.pdf
Nice read. Thanks for sharing.

Jerry Dennis is a good read. My son gave me The River Home for my birthday about 10 years ago. Great book if you like fishing.

Reactions: kkott
You outdoorsmen read, A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson?

Oh yeah, that's another great one, although totally different styles and topics. He has an even funnier book called The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid. Not outdoorsy, but if you know anything of life in the 50s it's probably the funniest book I've ever read, imo.

You outdoorsmen read, A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson?
I haven't read any of his stuff.

Charles Dudley Warner's In the Wilderness was the first collection of outdoor short stories I remember reading, outside of the monthly Pat McManus columns in F&S

I haven't read any of his stuff.

Charles Dudley Warner's In the Wilderness was the first collection of outdoor short stories I remember reading, outside of the monthly Pat McManus columns in F&S

I'd hesitate to call Bill Bryson "outdoorsman" content. Walk in the Woods is funny for the most part because Bryson is not an outdoorsman, but enjoys walking and decides to try the AT, and then it details many of the predicaments he gets in to because he's not really an outdoorsman. Of course his cohort, Katz, is even less so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Somehow we veered off coffee, perhaps a coffee stout recommendation will right this wrong?

ADVERTISEMENT