ADVERTISEMENT

Coastal Carolina-IU: CC 6 IU 5 Final

Sloan walked in a run with the first batter he faced. Good grief!!

BS. Utter BS. Glad Lloyd played a stellar first base that last inning. Freaking ridiculous

You can’t leave that many runners on base and not have it come back to bite you.
Then compound that with putting guys on base without putting the ball in play.

Mercer will probably be kicking himself over this loss. How in the world could he keep Manous in there after he put two on? Also, I would have gone with Lloyd, not Sloan. This loss really hurts, since we should have won it.

Reactions: hoosierhero?2993
This loss is on Mercer. Unless Lloyd was hurt, why was he not brought in? SMH
Bad coaching in this one at the end. If you lose it, you lose it with your ace closer.

I just got home and checked the score. Saw we lost by one run, thought.....not bad against a really good team. But then saw we blew it in the 9th. Very disappointing. We found out a couple of guys don't have the fortitude to close games out. Kind of like how it was a couple of years ago until we found Lloyd was able to get the job done as closer. Everyone clamoring for him to come in.....he threw 47 pitches against UConn yesterday. I'm sure that is the reason he did not come in. Especially early in the season.

I guess I am old enough to remember all of the old closers who used to be workhorses. I can understand the reason if he had a sore arm and couldnt pitch. You would think he could have pitched to a couple of batters even if he threw 47 pitches the day before. I know things are definitely different these days with everyone trying to protect the players health. I agree that no one should be forced to go if they could possibly sustain a career ending injury or cause them to lose extended playing time. It just seems he was able to pitch more often last year when we needed him. Still a little head scratching. I guess we just have to trust the staff on this one.
Go Hoosiers!

I guess I am old enough to remember all of the old closers who used to be workhorses. I can understand the reason if he had a sore arm and couldnt pitch. You would think he could have pitched to a couple of batters even if he threw 47 pitches the day before. I know things are definitely different these days with everyone trying to protect the players health. I agree that no one should be forced to go if they could possibly sustain a career ending injury or cause them to lose extended playing time. It just seems he was able to pitch more often last year when we needed him. Still a little head scratching. I guess we just have to trust the staff on this one.
Go Hoosiers!
I just think going into the game, he viewed Lloyd as not available due to that. That is a lot of pitches for a reliever to go back to back. And it's a long season, we are going to need him more than in just that one game. But at least we found out who we don't want in that situation. I would like to see Krueger in the 9th, if he can continue pitching well.

Reactions: 82IU
I just think going into the game, he viewed Lloyd as not available due to that. That is a lot of pitches for a reliever to go back to back. And it's a long season, we are going to need him more than in just that one game. But at least we found out who we don't want in that situation. I would like to see Krueger in the 9th, if he can continue pitching well.
Devil's Advocate (because you know that why these forums were invented) - I'm totally going to give Coach Mercer every benefit of the doubt this early in his tenure, but I do question Lloyd throwing those 47 pitches in the 8th and 9th inning against UConn in what was a 9-4 game when he entered. If I had any thought we might need him again on Sunday, it seems fairly prudent to have someone else take those two innings - or at least one of them. Again, it's always easy to look back at a horrible loss and say "what if?" but damn...that game was ours for the taking. I'm still kinda pissed and it's almost 24 hours later.

Reactions: Epictetus
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT