ADVERTISEMENT

Coaching performance v. WF

oldcougar77

All-American
Apr 21, 2004
I'm not much inclined to critiquing/criticizing coaching decisions but I thought the staff did as good a job last Saturday as I have seen since KW arrived. Especially so given that the Hoosiers had to prepare for two very different quarterbacking styles. The fact that the game ended so close was 100% on the players. IMO the game plan was solid, and with a 31-10 lead I thought clock management and strategy were both very good.

Nate was clearly not at his best throwing the ball, and WF's corner play was very good. With poor weather and field conditions, the passing game was even tougher. Still, Sudfeld made enough good throws (both TDs were really good balls) to keep the chains moving. I thought IU really wore Wake down pounding the ball as the game wore on.

IU finally got good pressure in the opponent's backfield and gave Hinton a beating. He still kept enough plays alive to give Wake a chance. He's going to be really good. We of all people should be able to appreciate the value of a mobile qb who can make something from nothing having watched ARE and Kellen Lewis over the years.

IU's secondary still has to get better. We have to stop making critical mistakes that lead to long gains and easy scores. Fant, in particular, has to stop making as many bad plays as good. Right now his tackling is a huge liability. If he makes that tackle on the TD that cut the Hoosier lead to 31-16, it probably takes Wake another minute or two to score at least and the last stop is totally moot. He also cannot get beat so badly when we have the lead late. He has to become consistent.

The Hoosiers also have to clean up the really bad penalties. The holding call on Fuchs killed our opportunity to put the game away and the unsportsmanlike/late hit penalties have to stop. Those are not indicative of poor coaching, they are a reflection of players failing to think in the heat of the moment. I'm not sure what the issue was with the formation penalties, but whoever is not getting to the LOS needs to get a clue. That is a simple matter of checking with the linesman to make sure you are in proper position.

I get the sense that this team can be really good if it can get a few things corrected. Really looking forward to the rest of the year if we continue to improve.

Well stated. I too thought the game well coached. Some will mention the conservative play calling at the end, but I thought it to be the right move. The defense needs to put it away.

I'm not much inclined to critiquing/criticizing coaching decisions but I thought the staff did as good a job last Saturday as I have seen since KW arrived. Especially so given that the Hoosiers had to prepare for two very different quarterbacking styles. The fact that the game ended so close was 100% on the players. IMO the game plan was solid, and with a 31-10 lead I thought clock management and strategy were both very good.

Nate was clearly not at his best throwing the ball, and WF's corner play was very good. With poor weather and field conditions, the passing game was even tougher. Still, Sudfeld made enough good throws (both TDs were really good balls) to keep the chains moving. I thought IU really wore Wake down pounding the ball as the game wore on.

IU finally got good pressure in the opponent's backfield and gave Hinton a beating. He still kept enough plays alive to give Wake a chance. He's going to be really good. We of all people should be able to appreciate the value of a mobile qb who can make something from nothing having watched ARE and Kellen Lewis over the years.

IU's secondary still has to get better. We have to stop making critical mistakes that lead to long gains and easy scores. Fant, in particular, has to stop making as many bad plays as good. Right now his tackling is a huge liability. If he makes that tackle on the TD that cut the Hoosier lead to 31-16, it probably takes Wake another minute or two to score at least and the last stop is totally moot. He also cannot get beat so badly when we have the lead late. He has to become consistent.

The Hoosiers also have to clean up the really bad penalties. The holding call on Fuchs killed our opportunity to put the game away and the unsportsmanlike/late hit penalties have to stop. Those are not indicative of poor coaching, they are a reflection of players failing to think in the heat of the moment. I'm not sure what the issue was with the formation penalties, but whoever is not getting to the LOS needs to get a clue. That is a simple matter of checking with the linesman to make sure you are in proper position.

I get the sense that this team can be really good if it can get a few things corrected. Really looking forward to the rest of the year if we continue to improve.
IU's biggest shortcoming by far Saturday was penalties. They killed drives, messed up field position and extended possessions for WF. Clean those up and it's never close at the end. A very correctable problem and one I'm sure the coaches will focus on this week.

ADVERTISEMENT