ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches are at home still making millions

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
While players are sitting at home with their families wondering how they are going to survive.

Does anybody think that scholarship players are still getting their room and board paid for? I’m sure that coaches are teleconferencing with them to make sure that they are still doing the workouts.

Reactions: limestonecowboy
The players come from all different circumstances so we can't paint a broad brush describing their conditions. 82hoosier you are not making the point you think you are as it is right the players would have been better off isolated at school quarters, football facilities, while being near medical services, food tables, and staying healthy with quality exercise. This one size fits all is ridiculous and we are suffering as this continues without thinking about alternatives.

Last edited:
I think that philosophically most people would be in agreement that there is a hypothetical point where the economics of football and basketball are out of whack with the mission statement of a school of higher learning.

I wonder if coaching staff’s are going to collect full salaries if there is no football season in the fall. I imagine the spring coaches all were paid even though they did not have a season.

I can see large gatherings been canceled until there is a vaccine for this virus.

Iowa State has been proactive and their AD has already talked to all his coaches and got voluntary agreements to take 10% pay cuts and waive all bonuses for one year to help achieve major savings which hopefully will preserve jobs for most of their 200 plus athletic department staffers. I would anticipate similar actions by every Division I program.

Last edited:
While players are sitting at home with their families wondering how they are going to survive.

Does anybody think that scholarship players are still getting their room and board paid for? I’m sure that coaches are teleconferencing with them to make sure that they are still doing the workouts.

I hope as students they are working hard on their classes. The silver lining for some that are marginal students is having more time to focus on academics.

I think that philosophically most people would be in agreement that there is a hypothetical point where the economics of football and basketball are out of whack with the mission statement of a school of higher learning.

I wonder if coaching staff’s are going to collect full salaries if there is no football season in the fall. I imagine the spring coaches all were paid even though they did not have a season.

I can see large gatherings been canceled until there is a vaccine for this virus.
I don't think people will stay away for that long. As long as there is a better treatment for people that get very sick that can beat the virus then I think people will go back to how things have been done, in a short time. Remember, the predictions that have been given are far off of what has happened with this virus. The Washington university model being used by the feds, has been way over predicting cases/deaths and we don't know how the mutations may cause the virus to die off. It could very well get worse this fall but it also may not be as viral as it is now. I like to see the best future but prepare for it to be worse.

I think this summer things get back to normal with just some small adjustments to how people live. The amount of concern people have don't reflect reports from the press. I live with a wife that has fear as her base and if I based things on her fears we would shut everything down and never open it back up except for "key" people.

Reactions: red hornet
Eventually there will be a new normal. But that might involve testing everyone in the United States on a weekly basis. In the meantime I hope Jared Kushner is working on a food rationing program.

Eventually there will be a new normal. But that might involve testing everyone in the United States on a weekly basis. In the meantime I hope Jared Kushner is working on a food rationing program.

The new normal will not include weekly testing as it isn't a feasible thing to consider. We haven't tested for any other contagious disease and have accepted the consequences of taking steps like staying home if sick, washing our hands, etc. I believe in Americans to understand reasonable risk when not hammered with worse case possibilities every day. This isolation will end sooner than many think and the continued isolation IE 6' separation will cease to stay in place because people are too social to keep going along with this.

Reactions: red hornet
It does seem like coaching salaries are astronomical these days. Think back to the days of Bill Mallory and Bob Knight and their base salary was peanuts compared to today.
Granted, coaches spend 16 hours a day in the office, on the road, away from family, high pressure environment, etc.
I think that despite being at home, they are all working and are salaried employees.
It might be akin to teachers who have to stay home because schools are closed. Will we ask them to forfeit some of their salary? Likely not.

It does seem like coaching salaries are astronomical these days. Think back to the days of Bill Mallory and Bob Knight and their base salary was peanuts compared to today.
Granted, coaches spend 16 hours a day in the office, on the road, away from family, high pressure environment, etc.
I think that despite being at home, they are all working and are salaried employees.
It might be akin to teachers who have to stay home because schools are closed. Will we ask them to forfeit some of their salary? Likely not.

Trust me the coaching staff members Are still working..., our recent recruiting results is proof of that...

The Strength & Conditioning staff is still working on coming up with tailored work outs and interacting on social media with most of the Team wherever they may be...

I always wonder why people who know little of the details of the reality of the work always seem to complain about someone who's making more money than they are...

I don't begrudge any of our guys their paycheck. They're earning it...

survive? lol

How about selling the IU football stadium to an operator of tractor pulls or rodeos? Would that make you happy?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT