ADVERTISEMENT

Coaches and age

Yes, and it works both ways but in the end, gravity always wins. Never lose sight of the fact there are a lot more incredible looking younger girls...excuse me, women! They find you in pause for quiet reflection at the nursing home.
Oh no doubt, and the idea of dating a young hottie is of course attractive, but the reality is, I prefer someone closer to my age (55). I get bored with most younger women and because of the gap we don't have much in common to talk about in music, culture,etc... I normally date 45 and up, but I'm in good shape and seek out women who are also... there are just a whole lot more of them now. Yoga and sun protection are magic for a woman's body.

I'm talking strictly relating to the coach by his age factor. Juwan's age puts him in the same group to me, as does Woodson. Just commenting on their ages. I wasn't a fan of the fab five and I've seen all of the shows. Michael Jordan, Kobe, D Wade , LeBron and others, were my generation's superstars. I actually liked the Bird/Magic, Stockton/Malone stories better than the fav five too.
That may be true, but I'm guessing: 1) you're not a high level bball recruit, and 2) you're not black. Fab 5 were heroes to most of the black community for being brash, black and successful. Their story and popularity go way beyond bball to much of the black community. So, as you're trying to say with we old guys, what you like is irrelevant.

That may be true, but I'm guessing: 1) you're not a high level bball recruit, and 2) you're not black. Fab 5 were heroes to most of the black community for being brash, black and successful. Their story and popularity go way beyond bball to much of the black community. So, as you're trying to say with we old guys, what you like is irrelevant.

Woody is relevant to recruits parents as Juwan is to their kids. Woody has been coaching in the NBA forever tho, so just because he wasn't a household name with young recruits, doesn't mean he cant be looked at as a guy they want to learn from in a heartbeat. NBA 30 years is a HUUUUUGE street cred and a major advantage in recruiting. Juwan and Woody both have monster advantages in recruiting compared to just about everyone else.

I called it on Juwan, and same will be true for Woody. Kids want to go to the NBA, we have the staff and experience more than any other staff in the country IMO to do it.

Reading these posts...I recall being a younger fella...Internet age and such...blowing things up...

I saw what was happening to older and frankly better managers...they had to find new careers.

It gave me pause...I thought "crap. Will I be pushed aside in my fifties and have to find some sort of work that I don't want just to make ends meet?"

And then we have this generation...everyone gets a trophy...legalized dope.

Not sure that companies can afford to let "old" guys like me retire. LOL
Legalized dope? You've not been legal before now?
Woody is relevant to recruits parents as Juwan is to their kids. Woody has been coaching in the NBA forever tho, so just because he wasn't a household name with young recruits, doesn't mean he cant be looked at as a guy they want to learn from in a heartbeat. NBA 30 years is a HUUUUUGE street cred and a major advantage in recruiting. Juwan and Woody both have monster advantages in recruiting compared to just about everyone else.

I called it on Juwan, and same will be true for Woody. Kids want to go to the NBA, we have the staff and experience more than any other staff in the country IMO to do it.
I agree, but his premise was "they are both old guys, so it doesn't matter". Juwan's Fab 5 history and more recent NBA playing/coaching experience and being more known to these kids and parents (don't forget, many of their parents are still pretty young, and will know JH, but may not MW; Woody is not going to be real well known to folks under 40 who aren't IU fans) opens doors for him, that MW will have to knock on and get through first. I think once they are both at the kitchen table, CMW and his staff will do fine, but JH has an advantage to begin with imo.

I agree, but his premise was "they are both old guys, so it doesn't matter". Juwan's Fab 5 history and more recent NBA playing/coaching experience and being more known to these kids and parents (don't forget, many of their parents are still pretty young, and will know JH, but may not MW; Woody is not going to be real well known to folks under 40 who aren't IU fans) opens doors for him, that MW will have to knock on and get through first. I think once they are both at the kitchen table, CMW and his staff will do fine, but JH has an advantage to begin with imo.

I would tend to agree. Juwan for sure is the more flashy name and to act like 18 year old black kids don’t know the fabfive is retarded.

Jalen has his own show and a huge personality, Webber calls games, and then you have Howard. Lol. Think how hard it would be to not know all about them if you were a d1 basketball player.

The guy you are arguing with isn’t making good points and wants to bang 15 year olds is what I got out of it.

I would tend to agree. Juwan for sure is the more flashy name and to act like 18 year old black kids don’t know the fabfive is retarded.

Jalen has his own show and a huge personality, Webber calls games, and then you have Howard. Lol. Think how hard it would be to not know all about them if you were a d1 basketball player.

The guy you are arguing with isn’t making good points and wants to bang 15 year olds is what I got out of it.
18yr old white kids know so idk why black kids wouldn’t

To paraphrase Bates, he was familiar with Woody from coaching in the NBA. Nothing was said about his playing days so, at least for him, Woody had name recognition.

Maybe being known as a long time NBA coach is more important than what someone does during their playing days.

I was not a high level recruit. I am biracial. I can't remember any conversations about the fab five with any of my friends. I do like Jalen Rose, but more from interviews after he played.

I don't know what I was trying to say...lol. Just that young kids are okay with being coached by old guys, if the old guys have credentials. Coach Woodson's name may not be familiar to young players, but to the kid's credit, most can read and find out he is more than qualified to coach them.

Oh no doubt, and the idea of dating a young hottie is of course attractive, but the reality is, I prefer someone closer to my age (55). I get bored with most younger women and because of the gap we don't have much in common to talk about in music, culture,etc... I normally date 45 and up, but I'm in good shape and seek out women who are also... there are just a whole lot more of them now. Yoga and sun protection are magic for a woman's body.
Well, I didn't have one of the gum-chewing Valley Girls in mind (but it is a nice visual) when I said it. It sounds like you are still standing strong, in good flow with the ladies-good for you! Keep the good seeds swimming upstream would make a nice commandment. My wife3 is 12 years younger and I tell my close friends, including my wife, "Somehow...insert deep breath of fresh air, somehow (again) we just seem to make it work." We have fun.

I'm not in the best of shape like you, though. I've already had one hip replaced 14 years ago and need my other one now. Nothing says old like an awkward gait. This next one started bothering me out of the blue, one week before my 50 year HS class reunion, of all times. God was fighting with me there that night, hobble if I dare. My whole body aches now, starting with the lower back, brought on by a professional career too focused on minutiae in a too limited field of view. If I could just have my Mojo back. I'm afraid at 70, my seeds don't swim with the vigor they used to, preferring downstream while treading water....maybe dog paddling a bit when they do, attempting the Breast-Stroke as if stoked.

It comes with the crust in the Age of Time. Wasn't it Kurt Vonnegut who first suggested sunscreen as an alternative to wrinkled hide of leather? They're always heavy smokers, too, with lots of gold bracelets highlighting the porcelain crowns behind a thin-lipped smile when they do. That's not my wife and hopefully, that of not your wife, too, speaking to you, personally. If so,...well, good for you, my brother. Just keep carrying on making it seem like it works, working it when work needed, once woke, but never quite as alert for what work she seems needing.

Never dull thy dying moments, sharpened in the love of Nature, preserved!

To paraphrase Bates, he was familiar with Woody from coaching in the NBA. Nothing was said about his playing days so, at least for him, Woody had name recognition.

Maybe being known as a long time NBA coach is more important than what someone does during their playing days.

Yes, Juwan certainly has more name recognition than Woody, and a casual NBA fan might not be too familiar with him, but college recruits are not casual fans. People really underestimate the obsessive NBA fandom of a lot young players (and they have probably been way since they were 8 or 9). I've probably watched fewer than 20 hrs of NBA games in the last decade, but I could rattle off the names of 10 or so current NBA head coaches. Now imagine what a huge fan would be able to do.

ADVERTISEMENT