ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Woodson

I have no idea what opioid receptors do except that there are different types of them. So I can't comment .. if I get froggy I'll read up ..

I'm not sure healthy was the correct word to use in my comment above, smoking is not healthy, vaping is not healthy and I'm sure dabbing is really bad for a person. Excessiveness with anything isn't healthy either.

but it is healthier or less detrimental both physically and mentally than alcohol ...of that there is no doubt.
Have you read Michael Pollan's new book, yet? I haven't had the chance, but I did listen to his interview on NPR, and it sounds interesting. Particularly striking to me were his comments about how differently society treats different drugs: if he even thinks about making tea from his otherwise legal poppies, he's breaking federal law, while on the other end of the spectrum, it's considered standard for your employer to not only supply you with caffeine, but to also set aside time for you to ingest it while still being paid.

Have you read Michael Pollan's new book, yet? I haven't had the chance, but I did listen to his interview on NPR, and it sounds interesting. Particularly striking to me were his comments about how differently society treats different drugs: if he even thinks about making tea from his otherwise legal poppies, he's breaking federal law, while on the other end of the spectrum, it's considered standard for your employer to not only supply you with caffeine, but to also set aside time for you to ingest it while still being paid.

No but I'll give it a listen From everything I've read .. it's basically cultural, religious and/or racial bias.

Funny, opium never was or became a "problem" until the British used it to fund their empire.

Oh yeah, here are my IU Coach stories..

I was playing frisbee with my dog in Dunn Meadow. Tom Crean and company are running down the sidewalk, then CTC stops to tell me I have a “nice dog.” Lesson learned: CTC knows a good dog when he sees one.

Back in the Sampson days, I crossed paths with him in an aisle at the east side Marsh. We both nodded in acknowledgment that we knew he who was. End of story.

More from Sampson days.. Worked the Friday lunch shift as a server in college. The asst coaches came in nearly every Friday for lunch. They weren’t friendly and tipped like shit. One went on to be HC at a school in Michigan. Pretty sure he was unable to smile.

Edit: Got more stories if you’re interested. Some more related to players during the Sampson era.

Oh yeah, here are my IU Coach stories..

I was playing frisbee with my dog in Dunn Meadow. Tom Crean and company are running down the sidewalk, then CTC stops to tell me I have a “nice dog.” Lesson learned: CTC knows a good dog when he sees one.

Back in the Sampson days, I crossed paths with him in an aisle at the east side Marsh. We both nodded in acknowledgment that we knew he who was. End of story.

More from Sampson days.. Worked the Friday lunch shift as a server in college. The asst coaches came in nearly every Friday for lunch. They weren’t friendly and tipped like shit. One went on to be HC at a school in Michigan. Pretty sure he was unable to smile.

Edit: Got more stories if you’re interested. Some more related to players during the Sampson era.
Do tell!

Reactions: hookyIU1990
Pretty sure my only coach story is that I once served Mike Davis through the McD's drive through on North Walnut. Very polite guy. But it would have been his second year, and his shoulders already looked weighed down.

1) One love/hate player could be found at my roommate’s frat most nights and until the party ended, including nights before games. They were good parties though.

2) Partied with a few players pretty often. We had mutual friends and they were usually pretty chill and rarely drank but had a good time. There was certainly a time during the year for some “other” things.

3) Earl Calloway showed up to my house one night with some girls we both knew. He just sat quietly and watched sportscenter while we played beer pong. Really nice guy and did not drink.

4) Something about a trainer/PT

5) My selfish story. Played at an IU summer camp in HS where AJ Moye was a volunteer referee. I played lights out and scored 30+ points, plus he complimented me on my crossover. A few years later, he’s at the HPER playing pickup on “Court 1” and asks me to be their 5th after recognizing me from that camp.

6) While playing pickup at the HPER, I knew Jordan Hulls’ bro from playing there and he brought Jordan one day while he was still in HS, so we ended playing on the same team. At that time, I had no idea who Jordan was nor that he was that good. Jordan just starts chucking from everywhere and I’m like WTF because he was taking most of our shots. Thought he was just a ball hog at first but we dominated and ran the court. Dumb moment in my HPER career.

1) One love/hate player could be found at my roommate’s frat most nights and until the party ended, including nights before games. They were good parties though.

2) Partied with a few players pretty often. We had mutual friends and they were usually pretty chill and rarely drank but had a good time. There was certainly a time during the year for some “other” things.

3) Earl Calloway showed up to my house one night with some girls we both knew. He just sat quietly and watched sportscenter while we played beer pong. Really nice guy and did not drink.

4) Something about a trainer/PT

5) My selfish story. Played at an IU summer camp in HS where AJ Moye was a volunteer referee. I played lights out and scored 30+ points, plus he complimented me on my crossover. A few years later, he’s at the HPER playing pickup on “Court 1” and asks me to be their 5th after recognizing me from that camp.

6) While playing pickup at the HPER, I knew Jordan Hulls’ bro from playing there and he brought Jordan one day while he was still in HS, so we ended playing on the same team. At that time, I had no idea who Jordan was nor that he was that good. Jordan just starts chucking from everywhere and I’m like WTF because he was taking most of our shots. Thought he was just a ball hog at first but we dominated and ran the court. Dumb moment in my HPER career.
1) Ratliff walked around with rubbers in his pockets at all times.

2) You might have smoked a blunt with me

3) Earl is my favorite player of all time and he prob asked you for a sprite.

4) got nothin

5) more nothing

6) JC was not huge at that point, but still bigger than most on the court. He could really move tho for a guy that size! Did you ever go to his apt at Crimson Crossing?? How well did you know him.... we might have drank many of beers together as well.

Just to be contrarian, I would point out that the presence of cannabinoid receptors does not mean that every cannabinoid is healthy. After all, we also have opioid receptors, but that doesn't mean heroin is healthy.
fwiw - you made a good point. Opioid receptors generally work in the same way as cannabinoid receptors do though excessive use has more detrimental effects. Plus it's addictive. So, you're correct just because the system is there is no reason to abuse it... and it can still be detrimental.

So, the question this leaves me with is what will THC be like when it gets processed and synthesized into a heroin like level? Will it be able to kill then? Will it be addictive? Coco leaves aren't very addictive or dangerous, coke is, crack is worse. Opium though more dangerous and addictive than alcohol still isn't near as dangerous as it's synthesized forms. Is this going to happen with cannabis? Hmmm ..

fwiw - you made a good point. Opioid receptors generally work in the same way as cannabinoid receptors do though excessive use has more detrimental effects. Plus it's addictive. So, you're correct just because the system is there is no reason to abuse it... and it can still be detrimental.

So, the question this leaves me with is what will THC be like when it gets processed and synthesized into a heroin like level? Will it be able to kill then? Will it be addictive? Coco leaves aren't very addictive or dangerous, coke is, crack is worse. Opium though more dangerous and addictive than alcohol still isn't near as dangerous as it's synthesized forms. Is this going to happen with cannabis? Hmmm ..
Good point. I think it likely that unprocessed drugs are going to be less detrimental than processed or synthetic drugs, not only because they are likely to be less strong or less addictive, but also because it's more likely that our species has been in contact with them long enough to evolve to tolerate them. Human ancestors have likely been familiar with poppies for a hundred thousand years. Certainly, they've been cultivating and using them for various purposes since the Neolithic. I'm not sure how long we've been in contact with cannabis, but it could be a similar timeframe.

1) Ratliff walked around with rubbers in his pockets at all times.

2) You might have smoked a blunt with me

3) Earl is my favorite player of all time and he prob asked you for a sprite.

4) got nothin

5) more nothing

6) JC was not huge at that point, but still bigger than most on the court. He could really move tho for a guy that size! Did you ever go to his apt at Crimson Crossing?? How well did you know him.... we might have drank many of beers together as well.
The player I was referring to wasn’t Ratliff but I’m familiar with what you’re saying. Knew one of the girls he was close with - we were not Eskimo bros.

There’s a chance we may have shared some doobs or drank beers together in college. We had a pretty wide group of friends. If you were friends with any Edgewood peeps, we may have competed in a themed keg race - definitely memorable.

And JC was a sneaky, agile baller. I wasn’t that close to him but we had mutual friends so I feel like we would see each other pretty often on the weekend, beginning Wednesday.

Reactions: Cavanagh.13
That's cause he recruited a few while he was here!
For all the shit I rightfully give Crean..... He could convince a lot of young men to run through a wall for him. Sometimes that wall had a pit of alligators on the other side, but Creany could get them to run through it.

For all the shit I rightfully give Crean..... He could convince a lot of young men to run through a wall for him. Sometimes that wall had a pit of alligators on the other side, but Creany could get them to run through it.
Maybe, I have/had no insight into what's going on inside the program, but I also don't feel like Crean ever really emphasized good tough defense, so maybe he could, but it was a wall made of drywall not concrete blocks or brick.

Many times I'd see a guy rushing to the basket when an opponent had gotten by his man, apparently late for help D, but in reality they weren't trying to help on D at all, they had already conceded the basket and were really just trying to retrieve the ball to inbound it quickly. I would bet that Crean coached them to inbound the ball out of the net before it hit the ground. Used to drive me nuts. Sheehey and Watford did it often. I think that was a big reason for the general "softness" IU has had with players for the last many years.

Maybe, I have/had no insight into what's going on inside the program, but I also don't feel like Crean ever really emphasized good tough defense, so maybe he could, but it was a wall made of drywall not concrete blocks or brick.

Many times I'd see a guy rushing to the basket when an opponent had gotten by his man, apparently late for help D, but in reality they weren't trying to help on D at all, they had already conceded the basket and were really just trying to retrieve the ball to inbound it quickly. I would bet that Crean coached them to inbound the ball out of the net before it hit the ground. Used to drive me nuts. Sheehey and Watford did it often. I think that was a big reason for the general "softness" IU has had with players for the last many years.

Kinda making my point..... What he had them running through a wall for was retarded. But man, they sprinted to throw in that ball and tried to not let it hit the ground after the swish!!!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT