ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Wilson still on steep learning curve

bdhman

Senior
Gold Member
Apr 19, 2002
I strongly support Coach Wison, and unless he does something illegal, grossly immoral, or lands the program on ncaa probation, he should get 7 years on the job. This has been my view since he was hired. IU knew he had NO head coaching experience and would not be bringing a near complete staff with him. Given IU's long history of futility and bad luck, if a rookie head coach is hired, he will need years of on the job experience. For what it's worth, I thought IU made a mistake firing Cam. He did not do a good job at IU, but he was finally starting to "get it". Wilson is clearly still learning about clock management, discipline (stupid penalties), and how to play when his team has a comfortable lead. I would rather gamble that he will make this team a perennial 6 to 8 win-team per year than start over every 4 or 5 years. Go Hoosiers!

Agreed the CKW is benefiting from a great deal of on the job training. I can see IU having a reasonable chance to win as many as 8 games now. Of course this assumes that Sudfeld stays healthy. By far his biggest mistake was holding onto Mallory for so long. And like everyone else I am perplexed every year when we have so many new face on defense. For his own sake he should not gamble so much on fourth down. That being said, the administration should poll the players and barring any unusual discontent they give him a new contract

I strongly support Coach Wison, and unless he does something illegal, grossly immoral, or lands the program on ncaa probation, he should get 7 years on the job. This has been my view since he was hired. IU knew he had NO head coaching experience and would not be bringing a near complete staff with him. Given IU's long history of futility and bad luck, if a rookie head coach is hired, he will need years of on the job experience. For what it's worth, I thought IU made a mistake firing Cam. He did not do a good job at IU, but he was finally starting to "get it". Wilson is clearly still learning about clock management, discipline (stupid penalties), and how to play when his team has a comfortable lead. I would rather gamble that he will make this team a perennial 6 to 8 win-team per year than start over every 4 or 5 years. Go Hoosiers!

Agree.

I really don't have any complaints on the coaching vs. WF. Yes, I though some of the WKU decisions were dumb (not taking the points).

His greatest strength so far has been recruiting - both players AND staff. We are finally competing with the rest of the BIG in talent. These players are developing too once they get here.

He will be extended once we get to a bowl. Glass has a professional interest in his success.

Disagree on polling the players. IU essentially did this before and ended up with Mike Davis. Glass should be close enough to the program to know how it is doing.

Clarification - I would not suggest polling players to pick a coach. I do think it wise to have the pulse of the team as to the possibility of any dissension. CKW mentions how tight the team is. And that is obviously a good thing.

They have to extend or fire after this season for recruiting purposes.
I think he's well on his way to earning an extension. I know you never count your chickens, but still, we are well on our way to bowl eligibility in my opinion.

That was very good Indiana crowd at Wake Forest Saturday. Alot of those people were from Kevin Wilson's hometown, about an hour up the road. We are very proud of Kevin and the work he has done his whole career . We know everyone up there doesn't agree with his hire, but he really is doing a good job. If you read all the information being put out there, about the 1st since so and so this has happened, We haven't done that in Blank number of years, it shows KW must be doing something right. He is a good man and really loves his team and has them all in for a common cause. Thanks to all the good folk that don't continually tear him down and for the support that a lot of you fine folk show him. Go Hoosiers....

Some of us here think Kevin is doing a fine job. It ain't like he waltzed into a storied program that had winning seasons for the past 100 years.

Sometimes there's more to football than taking the points.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT