ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Warren presents media folks on the IU beat with an opportunity to improve their craft.

Tokyo Steve

Junior
Sep 5, 2001
Unsurprising for someone with a military academy background, he is a stickler for detail, which bodes well for IU’s defense. But it could should also be an impetus for the media folk to step up their game.

Someone (a new face voice; so, I couldn’t identify it) during the Aug 19 Q&A, premised his question with “I know last week it seemed like the offense got the better part of the defense,” and Warren immediately cut him off and shot back “Who told you that?” The questioner could only respond with a nervous laugh, and Warren, wanting to move on, let him off the hook.

I’d bet my house that the questioner was basing his premise on the following Coach Allen remark about the first scrimmage a few days prior: “I thought the offense was . . . got the better, or upper hand, I guess you would call it that, on the defense . . . outperformed them.” But the questioner totally disregarded the detail of how CTA qualified that sentence: “. . . which was probably the first time that’s happened throughout fall camp . . . .”

Anyway, it’s this type of insistence on attention to detail that has me thinking that Coach Warren is going to prove to be a fantastic defensive coordinator . . . as well as a good influence on people covering the team.

Unsurprising for someone with a military academy background, he is a stickler for detail, which bodes well for IU’s defense. But it could should also be an impetus for the media folk to step up their game.

Someone (a new face voice; so, I couldn’t identify it) during the Aug 19 Q&A, premised his question with “I know last week it seemed like the offense got the better part of the defense,” and Warren immediately cut him off and shot back “Who told you that?” The questioner could only respond with a nervous laugh, and Warren, wanting to move on, let him off the hook.

I’d bet my house that the questioner was basing his premise on the following Coach Allen remark about the first scrimmage a few days prior: “I thought the offense was . . . got the better, or upper hand, I guess you would call it that, on the defense . . . outperformed them.” But the questioner totally disregarded the detail of how CTA qualified that sentence: “. . . which was probably the first time that’s happened throughout fall camp . . . .”

Anyway, it’s this type of insistence on attention to detail that has me thinking that Coach Warren is going to prove to be a fantastic defensive coordinator . . . as well as a good influence on people covering the team.
Not to be confused with Commissioner Warren who is….confused.

Our DC does need to have the defense always winning but our OC should also think the offense is doing well too. I notice our offensive players are careful to saying practices go back and forth despite seeming to want to say they won the jump balls and beat the defense.

We won't know how good this team is until the season plays out a bit and IU plays quality teams during the first three weeks to see how good IUFB is this season.

The main point here to me is that all preseason we have both the offense and the defense going against a quality B1G team on the other side. This can do nothing but help both sides of the ball and something that was missing from many IU teams of the past.

Yeah I'm not sure what the "gotcha" was. The young reporter knew Tom Allen said it, but he just got really awkward when Warren pushed back.

Reactions: vesuvius13
This past weekend coach Allen said the defense won the scrimmage which shows they responded to his comment that the offense won.

Reactions: CC Mac
ADVERTISEMENT