ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Ron Burton reported to be IU's new DL coach

If so, IU just got a great DL coach that is a good recruiter that said no to bringing in a sexual predator on the DL when the HC said yes. If coach Burton can do the job he did at MSU on the DL IU's defense will get much better over the next few years.

Very happy about this hire. Another decision that just seems to make really, really good sense for the program.

It appears there is a lot of positives with this hire, seems to check a lot of boxes. I just don't like the tie to MSU and the dark cloud associated with their program.

If so, IU just got a great DL coach that is a good recruiter that said no to bringing in a sexual predator on the DL when the HC said yes. If coach Burton can do the job he did at MSU on the DL IU's defense will get much better over the next few years.
Hmmm . . . interesting . . .

. . . so was Burton the DL coach or the DT coach at MSU? Is this a step up for him, from DT to DL?

I noticed that once Hagen left, IU's DT coach found a position elsewhere - James Madison? I think I saw that . . . can't find anything about it now. Does this mean that Burton will handle DTs and Allen will need to hire someone to handle DEs? Will the DE coach report to Burton?

I'm not making any statement here, just asking out of ignorance how this works.

Hmmm . . . interesting . . .

. . . so was Burton the DL coach or the DT coach at MSU? Is this a step up for him, from DT to DL?

I noticed that once Hagen left, IU's DT coach found a position elsewhere - James Madison? I think I saw that . . . can't find anything about it now. Does this mean that Burton will handle DTs and Allen will need to hire someone to handle DEs? Will the DE coach report to Burton?

I'm not making any statement here, just asking out of ignorance how this works.

Marcus Hall Oliver was a 1st year grad assistant, who just left to take a paid position at ODU. https://iuhoosiers.com/sports/football/roster/coaches/marcus-hall-oliver/2668

Coach Burton fills the final vacant slot on staff and it would appear he will coach the DL, ends and tackles.

Confident we just upgraded our DL coaching/recruiting. Hagen was a decent coach but Burton has to be considered an upgrade. Looking forward to having a pass rush in the future. Great hire by CTA.

Confident we just upgraded our DL coaching/recruiting. Hagen was a decent coach but Burton has to be considered an upgrade. Looking forward to having a pass rush in the future. Great hire by CTA.

I don't recall who our current Michigan recruiting connection is....but you'd think we just got better now. Maybe we can take 2-4 out of Michigan right now, especially with the MSU coaching TO.

I don't recall who our current Michigan recruiting connection is....but you'd think we just got better now. Maybe we can take 2-4 out of Michigan right now, especially with the MSU coaching TO.

I would imagine Coach Hart would have some connections or at least high street cred with HS coaches and recruits having played at Mich.

Ron Burton has been named Football Scoops DL National Coach of the year twice (2013 and 2018), and he's really cemented into the Chicagoland area with recruiting. I liked Mark and I think he did a good job at IU with both coaching and recruiting. Both coaches have pulled a lot of talent out that area over the years. Burton certainly isn't a step backwards.

It is being reported that MSU offered a 4-star recruit from Texas. His tweet thanks two coaches, one that was a bit surprising.

brysonjgreen@Brysonjgreen

https://twitter.com/Brysonjgreen/status/1228526577987833857

Beyond blessed to receive an offer from Michigan State !!
1f7e2.png
26aa.png
thanks to @CoachRonBurton @Coach_mtucker

10:48 PM - Feb 14, 2020
Twitter Ads info and privacy

25 people are talking about this

Reactions: vesuvius13
Flaking out after accepting an offer at IU for most likely more money. Tucker has 6 million to throw at assistants. Sounds a lot like his head coach who didn't want the job but came back when the money was rolling in.. Good riddance.

Flaking out after accepting an offer at IU for most likely more money. Tucker has 6 million to throw at assistants. Sounds a lot like his head coach who didn't want the job but came back when the money was rolling in.. Good riddance.

No big deal, Coach Burton got a raise and he and Coach Tucker agree Coach Burton could learn to work with a 3-4.

I like Coach Stewart at Temple, hope he brings his AD along.
If true then it is better to find out now rather than after he came to IU and did the same thing in another year. Find a coach that wants to be at IU.

No big deal, Coach Burton got a raise and he and Coach Tucker agree Coach Burton could learn to work with a 3-4.

I like Coach Stewart at Temple, hope he brings his AD along.

Burton spent 10 years at the AFA where they ran a 3-4 front seven so it's not like he is unfamiliar with this scheme. The question is does MSU have the level set required to be effective. As of now the opinion would be no.

What a chicken s**t move by Burton. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

What did Burton do that was so horrendous? IU may have offered, but there was no official report that he accepted the offer. If he had the Athletic office and or Tom Allen would have made an official statement. All that has been reported was that a source indicated IU was going to hire Burton. Who was the source and how accurate was his information?

The report as of Wednesday was that Tucker had not indicated he was going to retain any of the former staff, however it wasn't until Thursday that he actually conducted interviews with Dantonio's staff. It was then reported that one assistant was being retained, but the identity of that assistant was unknown. Many on the MSU board thought it was a foregone conclusion that Burton was in fact going to IU. Everyone was waiting to hear the assistant would be with most believing it would be Mike Tressel.

Friday evening at the MSU/UM hockey game a poster who attended the game stated that he saw Burton at the game with Tucker. He approached both men. He said he congratulated Tucker on being named the new coach, and thanked Burton for his service to MSU and congratulated him on his new job with IU. Burton's response to him was, "Nothing official, I'm still green."

What did Burton do that was so horrendous? IU may have offered, but there was no official report that he accepted the offer. If he had the Athletic office and or Tom Allen would have made an official statement. All that has been reported was that a source indicated IU was going to hire Burton. Who was the source and how accurate was his information?

The report as of Wednesday was that Tucker had not indicated he was going to retain any of the former staff, however it wasn't until Thursday that he actually conducted interviews with Dantonio's staff. It was then reported that one assistant was being retained, but the identity of that assistant was unknown. Many on the MSU board thought it was a foregone conclusion that Burton was in fact going to IU. Everyone was waiting to hear the assistant would be with most believing it would be Mike Tressel.

Friday evening at the MSU/UM hockey game a poster who attended the game stated that he saw Burton at the game with Tucker. He approached both men. He said he congratulated Tucker on being named the new coach, and thanked Burton for his service to MSU and congratulated him on his new job with IU. Burton's response to him was, "Nothing official, I'm still green."
Yep, we got the cart in front of the horse. Allen will find another good one.

Reactions: vesuvius13

All the more reason to curb-stomp Michigan State next time we hook up.

Times are changing.

You fellas look desperate just as we are getting our ducks in a row.

See ya in October.

Bring whatever coaches you have then.

According to someone who is very "in the know" with IU Football, he did accept the job.

99.9 percent chance he accepted the job at IU or it wouldn't have been reported. Nothing ever is reported from this staff and AD unless its a done deal. I'm guessing he verbally accepted and then found that the new coach wanted to keep him and changed his mind and I'm fine with that.

Like HC lime son. It’s poor form to openly say you want to stay and leave next day, as well as to accept an offer and back out a day later too. It’s not illegal, and Clearly he got a raise. But all one has in life is your word.

that said, whatever, IU should try to find people thrilled to come to IU and wanting to be there. Even at salary being offered, believe they are out there. Small set back, but not an impossibility to overcome. In fact I’d say oftentimes it can lead to the truly “right choice” in the end.

Good luck with Mel Tucker. Lol. I watched Colorado play a few games last year and I’m glad Sparty hired him. Lol.

Totally dude. Colorado was picked pre season to finish last in their division and was a complete rebuild. Outraged he didn’t have a big year.

Good luck with Mel Tucker. Lol. I watched Colorado play a few games last year and I’m glad Sparty hired him. Lol.

Colorado 2018:
Offense: 80th of 130
Defense: 70th of 130

Colorado 2019:
Offense: 100th of 130
Defense: 96th of 130

In tucker 1 season as coach the team got worse on both sides of the ball.
-Defense, returning 9 starters, gave up more yards per play, a higher completion percentage, and more plays over 40 yards than the 2018 unit.
-9 teams scored 35 or more points against CU. Only two teams scored less than 30.
on offense colorado had a 4 year starter at qb and a first round pick at wr yet
-Colorado’s offense declined in the following categories: points, yards, efficiency, time of possession, turnovers.

99.9 percent chance he accepted the job at IU or it wouldn't have been reported. Nothing ever is reported from this staff and AD unless its a done deal. I'm guessing he verbally accepted and then found that the new coach wanted to keep him and changed his mind and I'm fine with that.

Also, coaches have families that factor into these decisions. He likely verbally accepted the IU job when it wasn’t clear he was going to have a job, and when he had 2 offers on the table, he took the one were he wouldn’t need to move his family

Coach Burton did what literally 95% of us would have done...he stuck with the job he didn't know he had. It's not like he reneged to take a job at a random other school. It sucks for us, but I don't blame him or judge him one bit. All of these character assassinations are way over the top, IMO.

Reactions: turney333
ADVERTISEMENT