ADVERTISEMENT

Coach Peoples on DL

IndyIUFan66

All-Big Ten
Jun 23, 2013
I appreciate Hagan was a Carmel guy who played at IU, but feel like his move to UT is a win/win opportunity. He may have left before this current DL room had a chance to blossom fully, but candidly I haven't been blown away by the pressure (or lack thereof) that IU's been able to get the last few seasons. But I do like the beef that appears to be in the room right now. (Ziemba and J Johnson are the only two seniors at this position on the team, so a lot of young players coming up the ranks!)

From early words, Peoples seems to be a good DL coach and he's spent a lot of time in the south. I'm really optimistic he's going to bring a new voice, new style and some good results this season, which if that happens, will have such a positive effect on helping the DB's in passing game too.

Fingers crossed.

Coach Peoples has a record of taking under rated players and turning them into NFL players that can get after the QB. I expect the DL to be vastly improved the next couple of seasons as young players develop and coach Peoples instills his approach to the DL. We will love it if coach Peoples brings his previous success to IU.

This is why I want Allen to hire coaches and not promote them. He has shown the ability to go out and get good coaches. He could have easily went out and got extremely good, proven, Coordinators.

Reactions: DANC
This is why I want Allen to hire coaches and not promote them. He has shown the ability to go out and get good coaches. He could have easily went out and got extremely good, proven, Coordinators.

Sometimes in life developing your own and promoting from within can be excellent and definitely create loyalty too. I'm bullish in Sheridan. I'm still "jury is still out on" on Wommack, and willing to give Coach T a chance as STC, just wish he wasn't also coaching Husky, let Safeties coach take that and let him be a "Coordinator!" and get IU to top of B10 in ST, then add more to his plate. But per the three new coaches to the staff this year: DL, Safety & TE- I think they all seem like very solid hires.

Reactions: red hornet
If you don't promote qualified coaches on your staff you will constantly be changing the staff. Alabama has seen this happen to them and it seems to have impacted their national title prospects.

I have no problem with hiring from within but those coaches have to perform and contrary to popular belief the DC has improved our young defense from the previous year. I would understand the criticism of Wommack if the inherited a solid defense and performance declined but that isn't what happened. Sheridan will have a tougher job because he is following an OC that improved the offense and left a talented group behind.

Reactions: red hornet
If you don't promote qualified coaches on your staff you will constantly be changing the staff. Alabama has seen this happen to them and it seems to have impacted their national title prospects.

I have no problem with hiring from within but those coaches have to perform and contrary to popular belief the DC has improved our young defense from the previous year. I would understand the criticism of Wommack if the inherited a solid defense and performance declined but that isn't what happened. Sheridan will have a tougher job because he is following an OC that improved the offense and left a talented group behind.

I do want Wommack to succeed. I just thought the optics from him in year one was he was Allen's guy in training for a year and at times thought Hagen was co-DC in title, may have felt pushed out? I give Allen all leeway in picking who he trusts as his staff. Last year, Defense probably did get better as season went on, but the MSU game was a hard pill to swallow and early in the season at least, he looked overwhelmed as he was sending in plays right up to the snap, mass substitutions, and I did NOT think the defense looked cohesive in say first 5 games at least. But there is a LOT of talent coming back and I'd love to see him look like a rising star DC if they can pull it together this year.

Sheridan to me has smarts/charisma and hustle do to well. He played QB at UM though don't think he was originally a scholly player. He was protege of DeBord, made a potentially tough but smooth transition to coaching TE's, and do think he was also kind of a protege for DeBoer last season too. He looks to be creative as well, but most importantly, also has a lot of tools coming back, including Penix, who if he stays healthy, may have a way of making Sheridan look really good next year too.

Sheridan was heavily endorsed by deboer thats all I need to give him the job

I LOVED DeBoer and I do appreciate his endorsement. But he hired Inge as his DC after his prior two years as STC which weren’t fantastic in my view (though he had coached LBs prior to that). They obviously hit it off in their year together and Inge seems like a great guy who can recruit. But not sure DeBoer would have said anything negative walking out the door after one year?

So with that out of the way... I still agree with him and am excited about Sheridan. Think he’s going to be solid!! Maybe even special. Think he has the “it” factor, I really do.

I appreciate Hagan was a Carmel guy who played at IU, but feel like his move to UT is a win/win opportunity. He may have left before this current DL room had a chance to blossom fully, but candidly I haven't been blown away by the pressure (or lack thereof) that IU's been able to get the last few seasons. But I do like the beef that appears to be in the room right now. (Ziemba and J Johnson are the only two seniors at this position on the team, so a lot of young players coming up the ranks!)

From early words, Peoples seems to be a good DL coach and he's spent a lot of time in the south. I'm really optimistic he's going to bring a new voice, new style and some good results this season, which if that happens, will have such a positive effect on helping the DB's in passing game too.

Fingers crossed.
I totally agree here...This group could be much better IMO. We've recruited tackles and ends hard the last few years and have some good guys at the positions. They needed a breath of fresh air IMO. Looking forward to improvement on the DL!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT