Dec 20, 2017
The Southern Sun
Here he is, talking to "Steve Alford".

i_bd_i.jpg

Brian Dennehy passes away at 81.

Reactions: kkott
I was looking forward to "Season on the Brink."

I didn't think it was well done.

I wanted to see more of what made RMK a great coach and the explosiveness.

But rather they just made him out to be a grumpy old turd.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
I was looking forward to "Season on the Brink."

I didn't think it was well done.

I wanted to see more of what made RMK a great coach and the explosiveness.

But rather they just made him out to be a grumpy old turd.
I always remember the scene where Alford was talking to Knight about the calendar he did and got into trouble with the NCAA. Basically Alford was saying it was for the kids and Knight's attitude was screw the kids. lol I doubt that was how the conversation really went. I do remember Knight saying it really bothered him that Steve had to sit out the game whereas UK players who were known cheaters were playing.

I always remember the scene where Alford was talking to Knight about the calendar he did and got into trouble with the NCAA. Basically Alford was saying it was for the kids and Knight's attitude was screw the kids. lol I doubt that was how the conversation really went. I do remember Knight saying it really bothered him that Steve had to sit out the game whereas UK players who were known cheaters were playing.
Knight was furious with Alford for doing it and furious with the NCAA for having such a rule without regard for any sort of discretionary enforcement.

Knight was furious with Alford for doing it and furious with the NCAA for having such a rule without regard for any sort of discretionary enforcement.
this was a great chapter in the book. Chapter was titled "Poster Boy". Leading up to his one-game, self imposed (by IU?) suspension, which ironically was against UK. Which IU still almost won without Alford. I may have to go read the book all over again. RMK was pissed off at Steve, the sorority that sponsored the charity calendar, the NCAA, Eddie Sutton, Eric Harmon (ref in the UK game), basically pissed off at the whole world that week. great read.

useless trival- Harmon was actually one of the refs in Blue Chips. Ref'd a lot of IHSAA games as well, both bball and fball.

and correction, the first movie was First Blood (not "Rambo" as I had previously stated).

Last edited:
this was a great chapter in the book. Chapter was titled "Poster Boy". Leading up to his one-game, self imposed (by IU?) suspension, which ironically was against UK. Which IU still almost won without Alford. I may have to go read the book all over again. RMK was pissed off at Steve, the sorority that sponsored the charity calendar, the NCAA, Eddie Sutton, Eric Harmon (ref in the UK game), basically pissed off at the whole world that week. great read.

useless trival- Harmon was actually one of the refs in Blue Chips. Ref'd a lot of IHSAA games as well, both bball and fball.

and correction, the first movie was First Blood (not "Rambo" as I had previously stated).
Eric Harmon was a really good guy. Unbeknownst to most, he was from Brookston, Indiana and was a long time member of the John Purdue Club. Don’t believe he reffed at Mackey as a result.

Eric Harmon was a really good guy. Unbeknownst to most, he was from Brookston, Indiana and was a long time member of the John Purdue Club. Don’t believe he reffed at Mackey as a result.
that's right....I used to live very close to him. There was a little hole-in-the wall steak place (Top Notch, I think?) in Brookston and I saw him in there...going back several decades. I bumped into Hightower a few years later at the Cedar Rapids airport. Also seemed like a nice guy.
yes I lived pretty close to Harmon. Saw him once at the Top Notch steak house in Brookston. He actually was a pretty good ref. If I remember correctly, Knight was mostly pissed because he had asked Eddie Sutton to avoid a split crew for that game (was at Rupp)- was fine with all SEC crew or all B1G crew. But split crew walked out on the court. Feinstein wrote of a run-in between RMK and Sutton in the lower hallways of Rupp after the game where RMK lays into Eddie for it, and the exchange became rather heated (imagine that?).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT