ADVERTISEMENT

Coach assignments shuffled

I like Deboer wanting/taking over QBs as that’s his coach on the field. I also like that Sheridan able to stay. He seems creative and a good recruiter. Hope he can bring his skills to a position hope IU utilizes better this season!

Sheridan & TE's - thinking about more, could be really good thing. He seems like a creative coach and if Deboer uses them more than we have in the past, Sheridan could really help a pretty good crew of young TE's how to get open, find the spaces, and make a big impact. And he seems to be a good recruiter as well, so glad he's staying around for now.

*Still hope they have a "development plan" in place as if Deboer turns IU Offense around, he'll be a hot commodity as a HC. If so, hoping that Hart/Sheridan/Heard all (potentially) being groomed to take over OC by promotion if/when that could happen (Deboer leaving), which I hope is minimum of 2-3 years away.

Reactions: vesuvius13
I'll play Devil's Advocate.

What does Sheridan know about:
  1. Pass blocking?
  2. Run blocking?
  3. Route running technique?

Not his lawyer here, but think when you are around offense that much you pick up a lot. Other coaches help him, and he has a good, quick coaches mind (believe son of a coach) so I bet he’s got a basis. (But perhaps some learning curve ahead. Bet Deboer can assist. May be a good move for him to expand his options ahead as well.

Not his lawyer here, but think when you are around offense that much you pick up a lot. Other coaches help him, and he has a good, quick coaches mind (believe son of a coach) so I bet he’s got a basis. (But perhaps some learning curve ahead. Bet Deboer can assist. May be a good move for him to expand his options ahead as well.
OK. But does this setup help our team more than hiring an experienced and proven TE coach? Especially since the TE seems so prominent in Deboer's offense? Also, if other coaches (like Deboer ) are spending time helping Sheridan coach TEs, does that hinder their own jobs, like QBs and installing an offense? Can't we just hire the TE coach from Fresno and move Sheridan to Offensive Analyst like @76-1 suggested?

Still playing DA here, not passing judgment on Sheridan at all.

Reactions: 76-1
OK. But does this setup help our team more than hiring an experienced and proven TE coach? Especially since the TE seems so prominent in Deboer's offense? Also, if other coaches (like Deboer ) are spending time helping Sheridan coach TEs, does that hinder their own jobs, like QBs and installing an offense? Can't we just hire the TE coach from Fresno and move Sheridan to Offensive Analyst like @76-1 suggested?

Still playing DA here, not passing judgment on Sheridan at all.

W: does an “analyst” pay the same as a coach? Is it allowed to pay same? I thought they had a ceiling on them? Hence, why I thought that idea was almost a slap to some of it’s capped relatively low. If they did this move (new TE Coach, Sheridan to analyst) it would be more spend for coaching after OC & likely de other salary bumps. Not sure budget there?

If we’re going to be harsh, might say bye bye to Sheridan/Inge for a combo STC/TE Coach. Or could move Inge back to LB and just leave young Womack as DC only to focus.

W: does an “analyst” pay the same as a coach? Is it allowed to pay same? I thought they had a ceiling on them? Hence, why I thought that idea was almost a slap to some of it’s capped relatively low. If they did this move (new TE Coach, Sheridan to analyst) it would be more spend for coaching after OC & likely de other salary bumps. Not sure budget there?

If we’re going to be harsh, might say bye bye to Sheridan/Inge for a combo STC/TE Coach. Or could move Inge back to LB and just leave young Womack as DC only to focus.
DA continues:

Should we care what Sheridan's salary should be as analyst? Shouldn't we worry about getting the best position coaches possible?

I agree with your second paragraph.

Reactions: 76-1
It is not unusual for coaches to switch positions. Every offensive coach better know what other offensive position coaches are teaching. They may not have to know the very small details but the basics for sure.
Also it will be Hiller who would help with blocking techniques and Heard would help teach route running if necessary.
DeBoer will get together with all of coaches to make sure they are all on same page before they get on the field.

Switching positions is not the norm
It is not unusual for coaches to switch positions. Every offensive coach better know what other offensive position coaches are teaching. They may not have to know the very small details but the basics for sure.
Also it will be Hiller who would help with blocking techniques and Heard would help teach route running if necessary.
DeBoer will get together with all of coaches to make sure they are all on same page before they get on the field.

Did not it is the norm but it is not unusual for young coaches to switch positions early in their careers.

Also, while not the norm, if a coach switches position, the most common is to TE. I think that’s because players are generally splitting time between WR and OL drills in practice which are then supervised those position coaches. Sheridan’s main responsibilities with the TEs will be leading film room with the TEs and general mentoring to those guys

Switching positions is not the norm
It might not be the norm but it happens alot. I've seen head coaches juggle position coaches in the past. If Sheridan wants to get groomed for an OC someday just being a QB coach is not the way to do it. Kalen Deboer has been a WR coach and a QB coach and now an OC. Mike DeBord was an OL, TE, ST, and QB coach...jus sayin.

I like Deboer wanting/taking over QBs as that’s his coach on the field. I also like that Sheridan able to stay. He seems creative and a good recruiter. Hope he can bring his skills to a position hope IU utilizes better this season!
Was any change made to special teams? Not following minute by minute. That's the unit I was most concerned about.

It appears TA has basically doubled down on keeping his staff intact. Which at face value is quite laudable. Now let's see if that loyalty is rewarded over the next couple of years with positive results on the field.

I would have liked to have seen a way for Grubb (Deboers' pal at Fresno St.) to have been shoe horned into our staff but with the TE position having been filled (and more importantly, Grubb having been promoted to OC at Fresno), that ship has sailed.

There's a lot to be said for staff continuity. The assistant coaches understand what the Head Coach wants and the players aren't guessing about what their position coach is talking about...

Keeping his recruiting contacts intact may be the biggest benefit from this move. Sheridan is said to be a tireless worker too ("if you can't outsmart em, outwork them" is usually an unbeatable recipe for success);)

I'm sure Sheridan can pick up enough technique background to get up to speed quickly (and he always has Danny Friend to talk to)...

I'm just extremely glad they moved to Deboer to QB's/OC. That's the title he's enjoyed his greatest success under...

Having the QB work directly with the OC allows him to be an extension of what the OC is attempting to do "on the field"... Hopefully, we'll see the benefits of this move by midway thru year two of Deboers tenure here...

ADVERTISEMENT