ADVERTISEMENT

Clinched NIT bid

YOTHN

All-American
Jun 20, 2014
Well that win vs Northwestern essentially guarantees postseason play for IU. Even if we lost out both the reg season and the B1G tourney game, we'd still get selected for the NIT. With 13 losses, even beating PU and OSU won't be enough for IU to get back in the tourney picture. IU has to win the next 4 games to truly even get back on the bubble. I know pundits will put IU in the mix with results less than that but that will merely just be to entice IU fan viewership.

Most coaches IU will be looking to hire will be in tourney play anyways so I'm OK with at least having another game or two to play. I know we won't win it so why not add another loss to FW onto our impeccable resume?

Well that win vs Northwestern essentially guarantees postseason play for IU. Even if we lost out both the reg season and the B1G tourney game, we'd still get selected for the NIT. With 13 losses, even beating PU and OSU won't be enough for IU to get back in the tourney picture. IU has to win the next 4 games to truly even get back on the bubble. I know pundits will put IU in the mix with results less than that but that will merely just be to entice IU fan viewership.

Most coaches IU will be looking to hire will be in tourney play anyways so I'm OK with at least having another game or two to play. I know we won't win it so why not add another loss to FW onto our impeccable resume?
It really depends on how many upsets are in the one bid leagues. If the regular season conference champions don't qualify for the NCAA tournament they get an automatic bid in the NIT. What was our record in 2014 when we did not even make the nIT.

It was stated on TV the other day that the worst record taken by the NIT lately was four games over .500. If we lose the next two games, we can't make that mark.

I don't think so. This team can lose three more games and that won't get them in.

Yep it was a big time win.

I think it is time we start talking NIT seeds and possible paths to the championship game. A couple of home games could really bring an electric atmosphere. Crean cold really build on winning an NIT title and the banner ceremony would be just amazing.

it will be great experience for the leaders on this team who aren't coming back.

it would give Crean a chance to win his first tournament ever. i just don't think single-elimination tourneys mesh well with his unique skill set. he'd be better suited for pro baseball. you don't necessarily even need a win % over .500 to get into the HOF. Plus he'd look nifty in a uniform.

An NIT Championship would be better than a B1G championship. One is just one conference whereas the other is NATIONAL.

it will be great experience for the leaders on this team who aren't coming back.

it would give Crean a chance to win his first tournament ever. i just don't think single-elimination tourneys mesh well with his unique skill set. he'd be better suited for pro baseball. you don't necessarily even need a win % over .500 to get into the HOF. Plus he'd look nifty in a uniform.
I don't know. Do baseball uniforms have belts to where CTC can pull at? If not, I'm just not seeing it.

Reactions: hondo314
Not even close to being the same. I would rather lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament than win the NIT because it is a meaningless tournament.

I think he was being sarcastic....

Not even close to being the same. I would rather lose in the first round of the NCAA Tournament than win the NIT because it is a meaningless tournament.
Sarcasm. Winning the B1G would plant you right where you want to be in the NCAA's. But there might be someone on campus that will shine it up in that light.

HAHA! Great handle by the way Harpo!
Thanks....its all in fun....You do realize that a BTT tournament championship gets us into the Big Dance and not the NIT? Although, upon closer inspection, you might be right after all since a conference title gives us Crean for another few years, too.....Oh, well....never mind.....
Bartender!....I'll have what he's having!!

Last edited:
Reactions: IU? I'm Fine
this is what happens when you mix vodka and scotch...

I actually went on a date with a woman who accidentally ordered a "vodka and gin" to which the waitress had her repeat. I thought it was beyond strange and the waitress even came back and fell on the sword by saying "sorry, I didn't write your drink order down, what was it again" to which my date reiterated "vodka and gin". Once the drink came my date was absolutely appalled at the taste of her drink. It was at that moment that she stated she was going for a vodka and tonic but was obviously not catching the verbal auto-incorrect she was providing the waitress. The poor waitress like me said she didn't want to call her out just in case she liked that drink. Nonetheless, it was both scary and entertaining at the same time. It didn't work out.....

Reactions: 82hoosier
Don't worry, even if we don't make it into the NIT, the "Everybody gets a trophy tournament" aka the CBI, will be more than happy to take us. Come to think of it, does the CBI even exist anymore?

An NIT Championship would be better than a B1G championship. One is just one conference whereas the other is NATIONAL.
You hit the nail on the head. It would be a big time banner we could put up and really spring board Crean to a special season next year. It is probably even worthy of a lenghty extension and big raise!

Reactions: Hooptdooz

GIF-Amused-Chuckle-Chuffed-Pleased-Point-Point-and-laugh-GIF.gif

I think it is time we start talking NIT seeds and possible paths to the championship game. A couple of home games could really bring an electric atmosphere. Crean cold really build on winning an NIT title and the banner ceremony would be just amazing.
Just makes you wanna dance.

Thanks....its all in fun....You do realize that a BTT tournament championship gets us into the Big Dance and not the NIT? Although, upon closer inspection, you might be right after all since a conference title gives us Crean for another few years, too.....Oh, well....never mind.....
Bartender!....I'll have what he's having!!
Uh, yes, I've been a basketball fan for over 50 years. I understand everything about how the tournament is seeded and that conference tournament champions get an automatic bid to the Big Dance, not the NIT. Actually, I really don't understand how the NIT works now and I hope I don't ever need to know that.

NIT = Not In Tournament

NIT = Not In Tournament
The NIT is a great tournament for programs in rebuilding mode who aren't ready for prime time, for teams with mostly young players (not one-and-done caliber players) looking to get tournament experience, or for good teams from 1-bid conferences who slip up in the conference tourney and miss the Big Dance. My daughter is a freshman at Valpo and we actually took her visit there last spring the day after Valpo won to send them to NYC for the finals. The campus was really alive and students and staff were visibly excited. It was a cool experience for my daughter.

That being said, IU is not Valpo (although I would much rather watch the Crusaders play). None of the above circumstances describes us. Playing in the NIT is like having your parents take you to a nice restaurant on prom night because your date dumped you for another guy. Nice gesture, beats sitting home alone, but it still sucks in a major way. Not exactly something to be excited for.

Reactions: Hooptdooz
Uh, yes, I've been a basketball fan for over 50 years. I understand everything about how the tournament is seeded and that conference tournament champions get an automatic bid to the Big Dance, not the NIT. Actually, I really don't understand how the NIT works now and I hope I don't ever need to know that.
The NIT gives automatic bids to conference champions who don't win their conference tournaments and don't get a bid into the tournament.

Reactions: MrBing
The NIT gives automatic bids to conference champions who don't win their conference tournaments and don't get a bid into the tournament.
IT KIND OF MAKES YOU THINK THAT IT SHOULD BE THE OPPOSITE DOESN'T IT? IF YOUR TEAM HAD AN AWESOME YEAR, WON THE CONFERENCE, IT SEEMS LIKE THAT SHOULD BE THE AUTOMATIC BID, VS SOME POTENTIALLY CRAPPY TEAM GETTING ON A RUN, HITTING SOME SHOTS THAT THEY DID NOT HIT ALL YEAR AND STEALING THE BID FROM THE TEAM THAT PLAYED GREAT ALL YEAR. (Sorry didn't realize caps were on...) Anyway, I know this pertains to the Belmonts and Lipscombs of the world where the only bid they typically get are from the championships, and if you are in one of the power conferences and have won it outright, your RPI, SOS, BPI would all line up well enough to get you in anyway...but how would you feel if you were on the bubble and Rutgers ran the table and took the championship? Anyway, I get it...

Ballsy prediction.

Better off to turn down the NIT and fire CTC. That gives you a better chance at a good coach and a sleeper coach making a run in the tourney...No way we should play in it, I am ready for this misery to be over...

We are currently projected a a four seed in the NIT which is big time. If we do not make the NIT we will turn down the CBI because were Indiana were Indiana. Exciting times me friends!!!!!!!!

Reactions: Sassy61
Maybe the ticket revenue from 2 or 3 NIT home games can go into the buyout funds? ;)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT