ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson had 23 players test positive for covid

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. There are other choices e.g. test and isolate. Cure the sick, play the well, flatten the curve.

we gonna do that for 10-15 years? Because that’s about the time it’s going to take...especially here in Indiana where a tiny number has been exposed. Not trying to start a debate. It’s just a fact. Our only strategy is banking on a vaccine...which is a horrible strategy.

Reactions: Hoosiersfan2018
the virus affects different age groups very very differently. (the young know they're pretty much immune, and are behaving accordingly more and more every day).

govt, organizations, business, not having a covid strategy that accounts for the very different way different age groups are affected, is beyond insane.

The virus is already here there is no way to avoid it for some people. Those of us that are older and in more danger can take steps to avoid it. Thinking there is just one way to deal with this despite the big difference in results between age groups is insane.

Every single school will have multiple positives over time. The question I have mot seen answered is what to do when that happens

We can’t afford to not educate our children of any age from pre-k to college. Virtual school is not good for a vast majority of children, especially those that are poor or have poor home conditions. That teacher is their only advocate. There has to be an acceptance that people will get Covid. It’s really the only strategy.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Back to Clemson and football. If a team has an outbreak like this in the week leading up to a game, that game won't be played.

Really surprised at the spike in cases and hospitalizations in the south and west. This was supposed to be the time when the country caught a break from the virus because some surmised it didn't like hot weather. So much for that.

Four HBCU games have already been canceled. This is going to be one crazy season - - if there is a season.

Do you even know what 'flatten the curve' means?

Because the curve has already been flattened.
Yes I even do. It means keep the cases needing hospitalization well below the available beds so everyone who needs treating can get it. And the curve is rising again. Keep up.

Reactions: muubell
Isn't this what herd immunity is by definition? Each team allows the virus to run through the roster and by the time the season starts there will be no more illness. Or do I have the definition wrong?

Reactions: vesuvius13 and DANC
Isn't this what herd immunity is by definition? Each team allows the virus to run through the roster and by the time the season starts there will be no more illness. Or do I have the definition wrong?
That would be one way to do it but a Lot of people would die and a lot would be injured, maybe permanently. We have science to enable us to do things a lot better than that. We play a delaying game till we get real treatments and real shots then we inoculate a lot of people and open things back up more and we'll have herd immunity sanely, surely within the year.

Yes I even do. It means keep the cases needing hospitalization well below the available beds so everyone who needs treating can get it. And the curve is rising again. Keep up.
You read the wrong media. There is plenty of hospital capacity.

But by all means, go hide in the closet where the big bad virus can't get you.

Do you even know what 'flatten the curve' means?

Because the curve has already been flattened.
It's skyrocketing here in Florida. Much, or at least some of this is due to increased testing for those undergoing elective surgery. Our moronic governor blamed Hispanic workers because neither work or home has adequate social distancing. Right now we can only guess why positive tests have gone from 800 to 4000 with new highs being set daily.

That would be one way to do it but a Lot of people would die and a lot would be injured, maybe permanently. We have science to enable us to do things a lot better than that. We play a delaying game till we get real treatments and real shots then we inoculate a lot of people and open things back up more and we'll have herd immunity sanely, surely within the year.

we haven't cured baldness or cancer, despite trowing billions and billions at them for how long?

and even flu vaccines are only partially effective. (and some yrs worse than no vaccine at all).

that said, even with a vaccine, older people who are the ones at risk, may not be able to take it anyway as too riskey.

half the population is pretty much not at risk from the virus because of age, and another chunk of the population who are more at risk, have just said chuck it anyway.

let that huge segment of the population safely and/or voluntarily develop herd immunity for much of the population, which would greatly benefit all the population.

perfect antibodies testing, and us old farts can rejoin society too if/when we test positive for antibodies.

in the mean time a mad dash for a vaccine that actually works and is safe for older folks to take can still go forward full steam, but don't hold your breath, as history says yrs, decades, or never, on that.

as can research on effective treatments.

but a miracle vaccine as your only strategy is a naive and very low percentage strategy.

and youngers and "fk its" aren't waiting anyway, whether anyone else likes it or not.

in the mean time us old farts can lay low and hope antibodies testing gets perfected, or for a miracle vaccine or treatment, and enjoy watching the rest of the population go back to normal life in the meantime.

and once the youngers and "fk its" do acquire herd immunity, it will then be much safer for old farts to go out when we do have to.

beats the current herding cats no strategy strategy.

Last edited:
we haven't cured baldness or cancer, despite trowing billions and billions at them for how long?

and even flu vaccines are only partially effective. (and some yrs worse than no vaccine at all).

that said, even with a vaccine, older people who are the ones at risk, may not be able to take it anyway as too riskey.

half the population is pretty much not at risk from the virus because of age, and another chunk of the population who are more at risk, have just said chuck it anyway.

let that huge segment of the population safely and/or voluntarily develop herd immunity for much of the population, which would greatly benefit all the population.

perfect antibodies testing, and us old farts can rejoin society too if/when we test positive for antibodies.

in the mean time a mad dash for a vaccine that actually works and is safe for older folks to take can still go forward full steam, but don't hold your breath, as history says yrs, decades, or never, on that.

as can research on effective treatments.

but a miracle vaccine as your only strategy is a naive and very low percentage strategy.

and youngers and "fk its" aren't waiting anyway, whether anyone else likes it or not.

in the mean time us old farts can lay low and hope antibodies testing gets perfected, or for a miracle vaccine or treatment, and enjoy watching the rest of the population go back to normal life in the meantime.

and once the youngers and "fk its" do acquire herd immunity, it will then be much safer for old farts to go out when we do have to.

beats the current herding cats no strategy strategy.
You are either going to be vaccinated or most likey get the virus. Hopefully they continue to make inroads with therapeutics.

Reactions: travlinhoosier
Can you begin to imagine the money and expertise that's being applied to this?

I take it turning to insults means you realize you have no arguments that amount to anything.
I'm sorry you can't tell an insult from helpful instructions.

It's skyrocketing here in Florida. Much, or at least some of this is due to increased testing for those undergoing elective surgery. Our moronic governor blamed Hispanic workers because neither work or home has adequate social distancing. Right now we can only guess why positive tests have gone from 800 to 4000 with new highs being set daily.
You said it yourself - it's due to increased testing for a younger population that what was tested previously. Before, the median age was 60 and now it's below 50. The Governor explained this.

And as far as blaming Hispanics, I don't think he was 'blaming' anyone. It's a fact here in Charlotte that the number of cases are highest in the Hispanic population.

I think Clemson had a chickenpox party that was led by someone on the team (were they "advised" by a coach?) who sold everyone on a vision that they probably would be ok and better to have it and develop immunity to avoid missing games later. That's my first conspiracy theory...and I'm hooked!

I think Clemson had a chickenpox party that was led by someone on the team (were they "advised" by a coach?) who sold everyone on a vision that they probably would be ok and better to have it and develop immunity to avoid missing games later. That's my first conspiracy theory...and I'm hooked!
I have no idea if that is correct but I can see this being a strategy

I thought the same thing.

We can’t afford to not educate our children of any age from pre-k to college. Virtual school is not good for a vast majority of children, especially those that are poor or have poor home conditions. That teacher is their only advocate. There has to be an acceptance that people will get Covid. It’s really the only strategy.

ELearning from March to May was completely worthless for my soon to be 6th grader. Most teachers tried really hard but there was no real learning going on.

It's not a solution going forward, in my opinion.

I honestly just wish I would get it so I could stop waiting to get it.

Does anyone know if the 23 who tested positive at Clemson actually feel sick or possible 100% of them tested positive but are asymptomatic? I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter. And if so, then what, as that might seem they are not spreading it either (per WHO suggestion a week ago.)

Does anyone know if the 23 who tested positive at Clemson actually feel sick or possible 100% of them tested positive but are asymptomatic? I wouldn't be surprised if it's the latter. And if so, then what, as that might seem they are not spreading it either (per WHO suggestion a week ago.)
WHO immediately backtracked and stressed that somebody within the Organization was speaking out-of-school and didn't share accurate information.

ELearning from March to May was completely worthless for my soon to be 6th grader. Most teachers tried really hard but there was no real learning going on.

It's not a solution going forward, in my opinion.

My wife is a teacher and she would agree with you. Kids need to be back in the classroom.

If you donate blood thru the Red Cross you get the FDA approved antibody test free. I signed up just for that fact. Anxiously awaiting my donation date.

good info, and i saw that as well.

catch 22 for me though since i'm old.

i'd love to know if i've had it, but not big on going to a blood donation site and possibly exposing myself to it.

can't wait for the antibodies home self test kit to come out.

was mildly ill for several days 1st or 2nd wk of March, and called the local hospital to see if i could get a test in hopes it would be positive, since i wasn't all that sick. (before i learned how it could go bad quick).

they said no way.

as an old fart, i see reliable antibodies tests as my way out of this, absent getting bad enough sick with it that i know i have it, but survive.

a proven safe vaccine would be great, but who knows how long that could take, or if it would be safe for old people.

a reliable antibodies test seems a lot more probable short term.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT