ADVERTISEMENT

**ck This!

difference is that Garza is a threat out to 25 feet, while TJD is a threat out to 5 feet. Nebraska took away opps from TJD last night by packing around him, and TJD looked like he lost some interest as the game went on. Not the same player that we saw in the 2nd half of the Bucky game. It WAS good to see TJD stroking in from the FT line in the second half....probably sealed the deal for us.
I think their outside shooting as a team is more responsible for the # of Garza's shot attempts than his shooting necessarily, but that sure doesn't hurt either. Still, if the rest of our guys were better shooters it would keep defenses more honest and get TJD more shots, even if his aren't from 3. And even at that, TJD should still be getting the most shots of anyone on our team, and it shouldn't be close. If I was a guard on our team, I'd have my peripheral vision on TJD as soon as I crossed half court and focus on getting him the ball whenever I could. I really see very little effort to get him the ball more than anyone else, or in specific spots. And, that could be and probably is, coaching philosophy, but I'd be force-feeding him the ball with this team.

Reactions: BigMobe
back in the day I never missed a game, and that meant going out and finding the game somewhere that had it on satellite.

now every game is a click away.
LMAO! When I moved up to CHI suburbs in early 90s (at the height of our IU bball heyday)...this was long before B1G network and such, and local IN channel 4 was still the only way to watch some of the games. I went to pretty big sports bar in the burbs one night that advertised satellite TV (the old analog days) and 30 TVs...I walked in, about an hour before the game on a cold snowy December night, and asked the manager if they could get the IU bball game in a hour....he looked at me and said "uh....aren't the Blackhawks on tonight?". Needless to say, I was screwed.
Now I can watch IU anytime, anywhere....and yet....have but a fraction of the passion to do so.

Reactions: kkott and .Gerdis
I think their outside shooting as a team is more responsible for the # of Garza's shot attempts than his shooting necessarily, but that sure doesn't hurt either. Still, if the rest of our guys were better shooters it would keep defenses more honest and get TJD more shots, even if his aren't from 3. And even at that, TJD should still be getting the most shots of anyone on our team, and it shouldn't be close. If I was a guard on our team, I'd have my peripheral vision on TJD as soon as I crossed half court and focus on getting him the ball whenever I could. I really see very little effort to get him the ball more than anyone else, or in specific spots. And, that could be and probably is, coaching philosophy, but I'd be force-feeding him the ball with this team.
yes...we also have some guards (upperclassmen to boot) who seem to struggle with post entry passes....something we learned in junior high back in the day, but apparently something they don't stress during all these AAU travel elite summer slams.

Reactions: kkott
LMAO! When I moved up to CHI suburbs in early 90s (at the height of our IU bball heyday)...this was long before B1G network and such, and local IN channel 4 was still the only way to watch some of the games. I went to pretty big sports bar in the burbs one night that advertised satellite TV (the old analog days) and 30 TVs...I walked in, about an hour before the game on a cold snowy December night, and asked the manager if they could get the IU bball game in a hour....he looked at me and said "uh....aren't the Blackhawks on tonight?". Needless to say, I was screwed.
Now I can watch IU anytime, anywhere....and yet....have but a fraction of the passion to do so.

There used to be a liquor store/bar called Mickeys on N Clark street. We pretty much went there for every game. Eventually it branched out to a few other places. Pretty die hard contingent in the city.

several years ago I was flipping through the channels and saw we were playing Kentucky ( I had totally forgotten). Man the times have changed.

There used to be a liquor store/bar called Mickeys on N Clark street. We pretty much went there for every game. Eventually it branched out to a few other places. Pretty die hard contingent in the city.

several years ago I was flipping through the channels and saw we were playing Kentucky ( I had totally forgotten). Man the times have changed.
at the time I was out in Schaumburg. Couldn't find an IU-loyal bar anywhere....

Reactions: .Gerdis
One of my favorite memories was when I lived in Columbus OH which would have been around 89-91. I'm terrible with remembering teams/rosters, but my recollection was that both IU and UM were very good that year (89?) and it was a big game. We went to a big sports bar in Powell OH to watch the game and they actually asked if you were IU or UM and they'd divided the seating accordingly and sat you in your team's section. It was a super fun way to watch the gamea and moreso, because we won.

Last edited:
One of my favorite memories was when I lived in Columbus OH which would have been around 89-91. I'm terrible with remembering teams/rosters, but my recollection was that both IU and UM were very good that year (89?) and it was a big game. We went to a big sports bar in Powell OH to watch the game and they actually asked if you were IU or UM and they'd divided the seating accordingly and sat you in our team's section. It was a super fun way to watch the gamea and moreso, because we won.
89 - great B1G season. IU won B1G regular season. ILL beat us both times and got the #1 seed. But UM won it all. B1G was LOADED that year. Flyin' Illini, Jay Edwards and IU won something like 20 in a row mid season, and UM had Glen Rice and gang. Edwards' shot vs UM..Nick Anderson's shot vs IU. High level ball every single game.

Reactions: kkott and BigMobe
89 - great B1G season. IU won B1G regular season. ILL beat us both times and got the #1 seed. But UM won it all. B1G was LOADED that year. Flyin' Illini, Jay Edwards and IU won something like 20 in a row mid season, and UM had Glen Rice and gang. Edwards' shot vs UM..Nick Anderson's shot vs IU. High level ball every single game.
Remember when Edward's shot was made they kept talking about it and the point was made that the ball left his hand before the horn. Some thought the clock managers were not doing their job and allowed Jay to shoot. That was a great memory when Knight was jumping up and down. He did not like Frieder in the least.

Reactions: Crayfish57

#4 Iowa had Ray Marble, BJ Armstrong, and Ed Horton
#5 Minnesota had Willie Burton, Kevin Lynch, and Melvin Newbern

Back then, the 1st team ABT teams was as good as the 1st team AA teams are now. I miss then.

same here...25 yrs ago I would load every IU game into my schedule and work my life around the TV times. Now...if I can squeeze it in, great.. but even when I do, my heart isn't racing like it was back them. Apathy is a sad reality after 20+ yrs of wading in the pool of mediocracy.

I hear you. My wife and I check the IU schedule before we EVER committed to go out or do anything. Once when her Xmas work party was on a night of one of the classics, I watched the game in a restaurant managers office. All I needed to say was Hey the IU games on, is there a TV around and he understood.

Now, I almost always record the game and watch it later. Sad.

Reactions: Crayfish57
I love TJD and he is not the problem for sure and I think shows he cares through his play, but I still don't see him as a fiery leader pulling people aside and demanding better play. For one thing, he'd never take 8 shots in a game if he was. It amazes me how often our best player by a long shot, doesn't take our most shots. I believe he did against WI, but last night Phin and Durham both took more shots, and Galloway took as many. That just should not happen. Look at Iowa and see how often Garza doesn't get the most shot attempts up. Rarely, and generally he's taking 15+ shots a game. It's going to happen occassionally but TJD should be taking the most shots almost every game, and it really shouldn't be close. I really don't think our guards (coaches?) even think about this but our best offensive player should be taking the most shots. Is that earth shattering strategy to anyone?
When our guards can't hit 30% from the three or 💕 be , you find it hard to get the ball down low and when you do, teams double and triple team the post.
Poor shooting especially FT , is hard to watch. Please spend more time working on fts . Surly we have a coach that can help players improve our shooting.
Personally I wish we would recruit basketball players not just athletes. I hope our frosh guards gain confidence .It will make it much tougher to defend us.

WTTV4 games, Those were the best with Chuck and Laz. I had a big dish as no cable where I am and direct TV wasnt there yet for the ESPN games. It was almost a totally different sport compared to what we have now.

89 was a special year, my favorite to watch really. I loved the Cheaney teams and Alford teams, but 89 . Knights best coaching job, season started horribly . There were players with icewater in their veins but not like Jay, maybe he was high ? I just loved watching him that year. Besides Isiah, Bob never really had any good pros. Buckner got lucky to play with Bird for 2 yrs and win a ring but they were mostly great college players. Many had better careers playing 4 , but aside from Zeke I think Edwards was the best college player he had potentially. IU had the big 10 won by 2 games and cruised. Il nd MI make final, Indiana lost to runner up Seton Hall and Bobby let Edwards get a 3rd foul in the 1st half and admitted he shouldn't have played him after 2. Basketball was so fun to watch in those days . I know there were other issues, if Jay had his crap together and had played 4 years he could well be ahead of Cheaney on the scoring list.

Reactions: kkott
This game is over. This program is stuck in neautral at best. Purdue is a better coaches team. They play better. And this can be said by most every team we play. What a waist of another 4 years.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT