ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati joins the Big 12

The sweeping conference changes are analogous to NIL. I think the true effect, and the problems created, will start to appear in the first few years.

The Big 12 had to do something with the loss of Texas and Oklahoma or the ran the risk of being a second rate league. They had already lost several schools over the years IE Nebraska and Colorado so they needed to plug the leaks somehow.
I gotta tell you I think this is a stupid move for Okla and Texas. They ruled the roost in the B12. Look how things turned out for Missou, Colorado and Nebraska who all enjoyed success in the B8/B12. The only reason A&M has been competitive IMO was the allure for a Texas recruit to play in the SEC. The other thing is all the history with the other schools and rivalries. Colorado, Nebraska, Missou and A&M have yet to find themselves in their new settings. All that tradition (which college football is built and established around got thrown out the window. When the Colorado-Nebraska series came back a couple years ago after they were in their new conference fans were going ape sh!t over it. These breakups have much more effect than people think. When you walk in to a Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Missou facilities all the trophies, photos, and lore are from a different place and time. Its hard to replace that. jmho

I gotta tell you I think this is a stupid move for Okla and Texas. They ruled the roost in the B12. Look how things turned out for Missou, Colorado and Nebraska who all enjoyed success in the B8/B12. The only reason A&M has been competitive IMO was the allure for a Texas recruit to play in the SEC. The other thing is all the history with the other schools and rivalries. Colorado, Nebraska, Missou and A&M have yet to find themselves in their new settings. All that tradition (which college football is built and established around got thrown out the window. When the Colorado-Nebraska series came back a couple years ago after they were in their new conference fans were going ape sh!t over it. These breakups have much more effect than people think. When you walk in to a Oklahoma, Nebraska, Colorado, Missou facilities all the trophies, photos, and lore are from a different place and time. Its hard to replace that. jmho
I do not think the decision makers care about the fans, history, rivalry. I think it is about the money. Adding Maryland and Rutgers was supposed to get us (big ten) eastern exposure to the higher population density for recruits, tv and radio, etc.

Right now,UC doesn’t officially start Big 12 competition until the 23-24 season, and OU and UT don’t start on the SEC until 25-26. Should be an interesting couple of years where they overlap.
UTx and OU will not hang around the B12 that long 2024 will be the move if not before. In both leagues best interest

Reactions: mk30 and vesuvius13
UTx and OU will not hang around the B12 that long 2024 will be the move if not before. In both leagues best interest
That may prove to be the case but, as of now, they’re obligated to remain until ‘25. Scheduling for all sports is a huge issue as they leave one group and join another, as is the revenue impact to both conferences. Many issues will need to be successfully overcome before OU and UT are permitted to walk early.

Reactions: vesuvius13 and 76-1
That may prove to be the case but, as of now, they’re obligated to remain until ‘25. Scheduling for all sports is a huge issue as they leave one group and join another, as is the revenue impact to both conferences. Many issues will need to be successfully overcome before OU and UT are permitted to walk early.
Read: $$$$ Texas has it and can easily pay, OU may have to look in the couch. Guy feeling is a negotiated buy out and off to the races in 2024

Reactions: vesuvius13
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT