ADVERTISEMENT

Cinci Game

That’s crazy
Why? They lost Ridder but they're still plenty good and plenty dangerous. Their current FPI is #23 nationally and they're #27 in the Sagarin ratings. They lost to #9 Arkansas in Fayetteville by just a touchdown.

This will be our toughest opponent to date and IU will have to play much better than what we've seen to have a shot at the upset. Both our O and D have had their moments, but there's been a lack of consistency and we're clearly not clicking on all cylinders.

Why? They lost Ridder but they're still plenty good and plenty dangerous. Their current FPI is #23 nationally and they're #27 in the Sagarin ratings. They lost to #9 Arkansas in Fayetteville by just a touchdown.

This will be our toughest opponent to date and IU will have to play much better than what we've seen to have a shot at the upset. Both our O and D have had their moments, but there's been a lack of consistency and we're clearly not clicking on all cylinders.
Just saw where the line is sitting at IU +28.5.

Sounds about right.

Yet last year we were dominating them until McFadden was tossed for targeting. They just were unsuccessful again on third down and were going to punt. Suddenly they get a first down and go score. Changed the entire game. Yes we have not played great. But have made enough plays to hang around and find a way to win. As far as inferior opponents, i think all three teams are better than what most believe they are. That being said yes we are going to bring out A game on both offense and defense.

This will be our toughest opponent to date and IU will have to play much better than what we've seen to have a shot at the upset. Both our O and D have had their moments, but there's been a lack of consistency and we're clearly not clicking on all
I feel the game will be closer than two touchdowns, that is a lot of points. Here is to they find a way to pull the upset.

Yet last year we were dominating them until McFadden was tossed for targeting. They just were unsuccessful again on third down and were going to punt. Suddenly they get a first down and go score. Changed the entire game. Yes we have not played great. But have made enough plays to hang around and find a way to win. As far as inferior opponents, i think all three teams are better than what most believe they are. That being said yes we are going to bring out A game on both offense and defense.
Just to be clear, I never argued that we've played "inferior opponents." My point was that Cincy will be the best team we've played so far, and that's hardly going out on a limb.

I'm thrilled with the 3-0 start and the "never say die" attitude of this team, and I've expressed that viewpoint in multiple threads. If we're to remain unbeaten, though, we'll have to play significantly better this Saturday against an excellent football team.

Finally, Cincinnati as a two TD favorite at home doesn't strike me as crazy. It's a betting line and if the action is unbalanced, it'll move. I don't think there will be much movement, though, between now and Saturday.

Hoping for the upset. Go Hoosiers!

They are on a different level than WKU who pretty much handed the game to us. Not sure 8 is enough but I wouldn’t touch it either way.
I think last year‘s UC team was on a much higher level than WKU. This year, I would think they’re a bit closer, though UC would definitely have the edge. Our biggest challenge Saturday may be getting the D off the field. That’s been difficult, so far. No chance I’d bet this one.

Lets be honest, IU should've won that game last year. Micah got hosed with the targeting call too. Either way, I think this game on a neutral site is more of a toss-up than what people think but, being at Cincy I have to give them the nod based on our performance so far. If the game goes late and its close, our team certainly now understands how to close out games.

Lets be honest, IU should've won that game last year. Micah got hosed with the targeting call too. Either way, I think this game on a neutral site is more of a toss-up than what people think but, being at Cincy I have to give them the nod based on our performance so far. If the game goes late and its close, our team certainly now understands how to close out games.
The Cincinnati game that got my attention was "at Arkansas"... Cinci should have won that game by two touchdowns but literally beat themselves at every key juncture... They clearly had enough talent to win there...

They remind me a lot of p u in the respect that they're mentally undisciplined and find a way to commit a Stupid penalty at every turning point of the game... Hopefully we'll see a Lot of that on Saturday...

Won't be an easy one... They have enough talent down there to light us up by 20+ if we don't get our dung together and play our best Football...

The Cincinnati game that got my attention was "at Arkansas"... Cinci should have won that game by two touchdowns but literally beat themselves at every key juncture... They clearly had enough talent to win there...

They remind me a lot of p u in the respect that they're mentally undisciplined and find a way to commit a Stupid penalty at every turning point of the game... Hopefully we'll see a Lot of that on Saturday...

Won't be an easy one... They have enough talent down there to light us up by 20+ if we don't get our dung together and play our best Football...
Interesting.

I have not seen them play but this sounds a bit like us needing to get it together. This could be a W or a 14 pt loss. All depends on who shows up and what our secondary decides to do.

Looking forward to it.

I hope the team leaders understand and play to the revenge factor.

Reactions: 76-1 and vesuvius13
I think last year‘s UC team was on a much higher level than WKU. This year, I would think they’re a bit closer, though UC would definitely have the edge. Our biggest challenge Saturday may be getting the D off the field. That’s been difficult, so far. No chance I’d bet this one.
I can agree with all that,throw in the fact it’s at Cincy,it’s going to be a challenge.
If we lose but are competitive I think we can get to 6 wins.
If we lay an egg….I don’t want to go there haha

I can agree with all that,throw in the fact it’s at Cincy,it’s going to be a challenge.
If we lose but are competitive I think we can get to 6 wins.
If we lay an egg….I don’t want to go there haha
Just never know how a tean reactes to a loss. Motivates some and demoralizes others. Last year IU seemed to mentally wilt after the McFaddenGate call and never recovered. Let's hope for better.

And the fumble by the now-departed RB close to the goal line.

The only other game I've seen turn so quickly was when we played Va Tech in the Poulan Weedeater bowl in '93(?). Not only did we lose that game horribly, but it set the stage for Mal's downfall. He just didn't have the mojo after that game.

Last edited:
Cincy has a stout offensive line but is breaking in a bunch of new skill position players which proved too much for our kids in the 2nd half last year. There are a few holdovers from last years defense that was one of the best in the nation, but there are a ton of new faces. UC had 9 players drafted in May and were legitimately one of the most talented teams IU played last year and dominated them for most the first half.

The talent gap between the two teams isn’t nearly as wide this year as it was last year. That being said, UC is one of the best coached teams in the nation and they aren’t going to beat themselves. IU has to take care of the football and they have to convert in the redzone. Do those two things and IU will have a chance in the end.

Here's how I look at it - we can't be gouged much more than we have been for big yardage. But we tighten up in the red zone. I see that happening again this game.

Allen has seen Cinci's offense before. I expect more INTs.

I'm not that worried about the defense getting off the field - we rotate a lot and we seem to be fresh at the end of games. I'm more worried about our Offense getting off to a decent start. We just don't seem to kick it in until the 4th quarter.

If we can keep it close going into the 4th, I like our chances.

Regarding the line...I checked the early lines yesterday and we were
+8.5 at noon

Ceaser's which has locations downtown and Anderson website posted at 8 p.m. last night at
+14

This morning Ceasar's had IU at +15.5

@76-1 ...I watched that Cinci Arky game too. Arkansas pounded them on the ground. Honestly it was game 1. Hard to get an idea especially the Arkansas offense.

Anyways, as far as line play goes this will be our toughest test. I didn't see any of the Cinci game Saturday as it clashed with ours. Baze has seen ALOT tougher D-lines week in week out in the SEC for 2 years and he has shown toughness in the pocket. Hitting 12 different receivers was impressive. His completion percentage was in the high 60's at Mizzou. Its dropped in the 50's here. I imagine there is still a learning curve, but he hit 60% last week.

We show glimpses...Late in the game we look like world beaters. If only we could come out of the box strong. Maybe its just taking awhile for the offense and defense to adjust and they sure are figuring it out unlike years past when we would fold. Credit to the coaches there.

If Cincy lets us hang around it could be a death sentence for them. Lets hope this run continues it sure is exciting.

Losing McFadden was obviously a setback but that loss was on IU's offense, not the D. We should have absolutely won that game despite McFadden's 2nd quarter ejection.

We had three trips inside the Cincinnati 10 that yielded zero points. One of those red zone failures was in the 4th quarter. Down 30-24, we fumbled it away on 1st and goal at the Cincinnati 4. Later that quarter, UC's final score was set up by a 39 yard return of a Penix interception.

Here's how I look at it - we can't be gouged much more than we have been for big yardage. But we tighten up in the red zone. I see that happening again this game.

Allen has seen Cinci's offense before. I expect more INTs.

I'm not that worried about the defense getting off the field - we rotate a lot and we seem to be fresh at the end of games. I'm more worried about our Offense getting off to a decent start. We just don't seem to kick it in until the 4th quarter.

If we can keep it close going into the 4th, I like our chances.
This needs to be the week where we get aggressive with blitz packages and schemes. Unlike Ridder, Bryant isn't going to break contain and beat you with his legs. Cincy has a good OL and I just don't see us getting home only sending 4. Need to force early throws and not let him get in a rhythm. WKU QB was way too comfortable in the pocket and picked us apart.

Cincy has a stout offensive line but is breaking in a bunch of new skill position players which proved too much for our kids in the 2nd half last year. There are a few holdovers from last years defense that was one of the best in the nation, but there are a ton of new faces. UC had 9 players drafted in May and were legitimately one of the most talented teams IU played last year and dominated them for most the first half.

The talent gap between the two teams isn’t nearly as wide this year as it was last year. That being said, UC is one of the best coached teams in the nation and they aren’t going to beat themselves. IU has to take care of the football and they have to convert in the redzone. Do those two things and IU will have a chance in the end.
I watched a little of UC vs. Miami and the offensive line was not really impressive. Miami got a lot of pressure on quarterback. I hope for more of the same this week.

Regarding the line...I checked the early lines yesterday and we were
+8.5 at noon

Ceaser's which has locations downtown and Anderson website posted at 8 p.m. last night at
+14

This morning Ceasar's had IU at +15.5

@76-1 ...I watched that Cinci Arky game too. Arkansas pounded them on the ground. Honestly it was game 1. Hard to get an idea especially the Arkansas offense.

Anyways, as far as line play goes this will be our toughest test. I didn't see any of the Cinci game Saturday as it clashed with ours. Baze has seen ALOT tougher D-lines week in week out in the SEC for 2 years and he has shown toughness in the pocket. Hitting 12 different receivers was impressive. His completion percentage was in the high 60's at Mizzou. Its dropped in the 50's here. I imagine there is still a learning curve, but he hit 60% last week.

We show glimpses...Late in the game we look like world beaters. If only we could come out of the box strong. Maybe its just taking awhile for the offense and defense to adjust and they sure are figuring it out unlike years past when we would fold. Credit to the coaches there.

If Cincy lets us hang around it could be a death sentence for them. Lets hope this run continues it sure is exciting.

The only thing that kept me thinking we had a shot against WKU while we were down was that our team uses 22-30 man rotation on defense. So we keep fresh legs out there and it has proven to be the case in all 3 games so far. IU has a lot left in the tank late while other teams are fading. If Indiana was to have a lead late in the game, I have confidence the defense will show up and put the clamps down on the opponent.

This needs to be the week where we get aggressive with blitz packages and schemes. Unlike Ridder, Bryant isn't going to break contain and beat you with his legs. Cincy has a good OL and I just don't see us getting home only sending 4. Need to force early throws and not let him get in a rhythm. WKU QB was way too comfortable in the pocket and picked us apart.
Our DL just wasn't getting any push and the WKU was very comfortable until we started blitzing more.

So, I agree - we need some creative blitz packages for this game.

Reactions: vesuvius13
The only thing that kept me thinking we had a shot against WKU while we were down was that our team uses 22-30 man rotation on defense. So we keep fresh legs out there and it has proven to be the case in all 3 games so far. IU has a lot left in the tank late while other teams are fading. If Indiana was to have a lead late in the game, I have confidence the defense will show up and put the clamps down on the opponent.
If we can just cut down on the penalties late. That PI in regulation bailed WKU out and almost cost us the game with a FG.

We had 20 defensive guys play and be credited with either an assisted or solo tackle. Six of our top nine tacklers were in the back five, though CJ, DM and Casey represented the second level.

Our DL just wasn't getting any push and the WKU was very comfortable until we started blitzing more.

So, I agree - we need some creative blitz packages for this game.
Rider made us pay dearly last year when we tried to bring five and six guys. Need to be careful, especially when we’ve been shaky in the back.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT