ADVERTISEMENT

Cinci Game

McFaden’s targeting call negated what would have been Cincy’s 4th 3 and out of the 1st half and given IU the ball up 14-0 with good field position with a little over 4 minutes left in the half. No, IU didn’t lose the game right there on that call but 100% flipped the entire script.
Exactly, the team went into a funk and turnovers etc surfaced. Those that follow this team understood what was happening and why. Those of us that go to games could see it clearly on the sidelines.

The game last year wasn’t decided on MM’s targeting call, it was because we turned it over four times and gave up a special teams touchdown. Statistically, it’s almost impossible to win if you play that way against anyone, let alone a good team like UC was a year ago. There’s no reason we can’t beat them this year, but we need a clean game to make that happen.
With McFadden, they had zero points.

Without McFadden..... well, there you go.

There seems to have been a fragility to that team that allowed a bad call to the team leader to stagger them so. Changed the whole game and seems like the season.

I assume all have learned from it.
Kind of like the first play in the Iowa game.

I will agree that last year's team was not mentally strong. Much better this year.

Half the team and coaches are gone from last year. That team was mentally weak. It's the first time they went into a season with big expectations (and rankings) and clearly weren't prepared to fight. This year's team is still learning the new system and getting new people used to each other, which has shown up in the inconsistency. The fact they have hung around and came back to win is something we haven't seen much of before (of course these aren't top ranked teams we've played so far).

I'm looking to see some improvement in time of possession. I don't think IU can afford to keep its D on the field against UC as much as it has so far this year.

Reactions: ESalum86 and DANC

But they scored a number of their points on our turnovers and the kick return, and we gave up points by turning it over near their goal line. We had every opportunity to win, even in the fourth quarter, but turnovers and the kick return were the difference. Those are the facts, and Coach Allen agreed. If we play as sloppy this weekend, we’ll get beat again. If we play cleanly, we have a great chance.

The entire confidence/tone of the team changed after the call leading to poor play. Turnovers, poor defense etc allowing UC to take control of the game. The team was fragile las t season, they seem much better this season.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I had a beer at the Shoemaker Center when we beat you guys with Eric Anderson. A number of college venues have served beer for years.
I remember that game. Had a vendor take us. Great game. I remember Nick Van Exel guaranteeing a UC victory. Oops.

I have never seen anybody from Ohio that wasn't drunk, even
back in the 3.2 days.
I used to be amazed when I went to Reds' games back in the day at the number of teenage boys in jean shorts and no shirts, with carefully manicured mullet haircuts, getting absolutely shit-faced. I'm pretty sure nobody was checking I.D., and it appeared as though the world's largest trailer park must have been just down the street.

Reactions: indy1203 and 76-1
I used to be amazed when I went to Reds' games back in the day at the number of teenage boys in jean shorts and no shirts, with carefully manicured mullet haircuts, getting absolutely shit-faced. I'm pretty sure nobody was checking I.D., and it appeared as though the world's largest trailer park must have been just down the street.
I’m sure it is (trailer park). Down the street is literally Kentucky.

I went to UC in the early to mid 80’s and the Rhine Room in the Student Union served beer.
Hey Bearcat, what is the parking situation on game day? I see there is one pay lot on Edan Avenue - is there a reasonable chance of getting a parking spot there on game day?

Do they have off campus parking with shuttles to the game?

Any info you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks

Reactions: Mad Cat
Hey Bearcat, what is the parking situation on game day? I see there is one pay lot on Edan Avenue - is there a reasonable chance of getting a parking spot there on game day?

Do they have off campus parking with shuttles to the game?

Any info you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks
If you park over on east campus - the hospitals - there is a shuttle from there, but if you have time just walk it. I did the shuttle once and hated it. I believe that was the Eden garage, and I’d think you can get a spot there. Give yourself time.

there is a German restaurant called Mecklenburg Gardens. It’s a popular pregame spot and according to their Facebook site they still have the shuttle. Its by the hospitals and the immediate area looks a bit shady, but it would be a good place to interact with UC fans, if that’s your thing.

I dropped my season tickets for two years due to Covid so some things may have changed now that I’m back…

I used to park in the Stratford garage for $20, and it’s literally across the street from campus on Clifton Avenue and a short walk to the stadium. It’s like people didn’t know about it. I’m under the impression that UC is now using that for prepaid passes, but I’m not sure.

two weeks ago I arrived 45 minutes before game time and parked on Clifton Avenue in front of Hebrew Union College. Thing is, the meters are only for 2 hours and parking is free only after 6 - so one takes a risk. Then there’s a confusing way to pay where you have to download an app and it’s stupid and half the meters are broken.

Burnet Woods is a park across the street on Martin Luther King, and I think people tailgate there for free, but I’m guessing you need to get there very early.

Some of the fraternities on Clifton Avenue have pay parking - I did that once.

I plan on arriving at least an hour early and trying the Stratford garage. If that doesn’t work, I’ll turn right and see what the Straight Street garage is about. I know the area well so I’m not worried. It’s a bit more complex for out of towners.

There is a pay garage in the new complex on McMillan near The Fairfield Inn. I believe there are at least a couple others in that strip bordered by Wm Hwd Taft and McMillan. I parked there post-game two weeks ago. I personally wouldn’t park there even though it’s close to campus because post game McMillan and Taft is a big traffic jam and people are stupid. I try to avoid the streets south of campus

What I wouldn’t do: Park in the neighborhoods east of Short Vine (Corryville) or streets south of McMillan (Clifton Heights). Clifton itself is north of campus and is very nice, but the gaslight district is a mile walk

Last edited:
If you park over on east campus - the hospitals - there is a shuttle from there, but if you have time just walk it. I did that once and hated it. I believe that was the Eden garage, and I’d think you can get a spot there. Give yourself time.

there is a German restaurant called Mecklenburg Gardens. It’s a popular pregame spot and according to their Facebook site they still have the shuttle. Its by the hospitals and the immediate area looks a bit shady, but it would be a good place to interact with UC fans, if that’s your thing.

I dropped my season tickets for two years due to Covid so some things may have changed now that I’m back…

I used to park in the Stratford garage for $20, and it’s literally across the street from campus on Clifton Avenue and a short walk to the stadium. It’s like people didn’t know about it. I’m under the impression that UC is now using that for prepaid passes, but I’m not sure.

two weeks ago I arrived 45 minutes before game time and parked on Clifton Avenue in front of Hebrew Union College. Thing is, the meters are only for 2 hours and parking is free only after 6 - so one takes a risk. Then there’s a confusing way to pay where you have to download an app and it’s stupid and half the meters are broken.

Burnett Woods is a park across the street on Martin Luther King, and I think people tailgate there for free, but I’m guessing you need to get there very early.

Some of the fraternities on Clifton Avenue have pay parking - I did that once.

I plan on arriving at least an hour early and trying the Stratford garage. If that doesn’t work, I’ll turn right and see what the Straight Street garage is about. I know the area well so I’m not worried. It’s a big more complex for out of towners.

There is a pay garage in the new complex on McMillan near Pielogy. I parked there post -game two weeks ago. I personally wouldn’t park there even though it’s close to campus because post game McMillan is a traffic jam and people are stupid. I try to avoid
the streets south of campus

What I wouldn’t do: Park in the neighborhoods east of Short Vine (Corryville) or streets south of McMillan (Clifton Heights). Clifton itself is north of campus and is very nice, but the gaslight district is a mile walk
Thanks so much! I really like the idea of parking around Mecklenberg Gardens and using their shuttle. I plan on getting there around noon, so that would be a good place to hang out before going to the stadium. You say the area is shady - would you leave your car parked around there? Are there hospital parking lots close? I will look at a map.

I also thought about parking on the Kentucky side and Ubering in. I assume they have a ride-sharing area around Nippert Stadium?

I went on the UC website and I think those parking garages are all for permit parking, except Eden. So if I get there early, enough, that may work.

Which would be your preference - Mecklenberg Gardens or the Eden parking garage?

Ironic - I live in Charlotte, which is in Mecklenberg County. We have a great local brewery called Old Mecklenberg Brewery and it not only has great beer, but their beer garden is as authentically German as any I've ever been to outside Germany.

Are you, by any chance, familiar with Everybody's Records? I think it's in Hamilton County. An old Army buddy of mine works there. I was hoping he could go to the game with me, but he's having healthy issues

Thanks again for the info - very helpful!

Reactions: Mad Cat
Thanks so much! I really like the idea of parking around Mecklenberg Gardens and using their shuttle. I plan on getting there around noon, so that would be a good place to hang out before going to the stadium. You say the area is shady - would you leave your car parked around there? Are there hospital parking lots close? I will look at a map.

I also thought about parking on the Kentucky side and Ubering in. I assume they have a ride-sharing area around Nippert Stadium?

I went on the UC website and I think those parking garages are all for permit parking, except Eden. So if I get there early, enough, that may work.

Which would be your preference - Mecklenberg Gardens or the Eden parking garage?

Ironic - I live in Charlotte, which is in Mecklenberg County. We have a great local brewery called Old Mecklenberg Brewery and it not only has great beer, but their beer garden is as authentically German as any I've ever been to outside Germany.

Are you, by any chance, familiar with Everybody's Records? I think it's in Hamilton County. An old Army buddy of mine works there. I was hoping he could go to the game with me, but he's having healthy issues

Everybody’s is one of the greatest stores ever. Worth it just to go in and browse through all the vinyl. Even though I retired my turntable years ago going into Everybody‘s make me nostalgic for all the great 60s albums with all the great artwork.

Everybody’s is one of the greatest stores ever. Worth it just to go in and browse through all the vinyl. Even though I retired my turntable years ago going into Everybody‘s make me nostalgic for all the great 60s albums with all the great artwork.
Next time you're there, ask for Harry. I think he's worked there ever since they opened. Never married and music (rock music) is his life.

We would sit in his room in the barracks and he had the best record collection and knew every bit of rock trivia. Every Sunday morning, he would go to the train station in Augsburg - the Hauptbahnhoff - and get the New Musical Express, which had all the new music reviews and news about bands, musicians, and the industry.

Harry also loves UC sports, although he went to Miami. And he knew everything about Indiana basketball - HS, college, and pro. His dad owned a car dealership and used to give cars to UC players in the late 50s and early 60s. Tom Thacker, who played for the Pacers but played college at UC, came to his dad and told him he 'lost' his car. lol

Tell him you know "Big Time" - we all had nicknames. I'm not even sure he remembers my real name. lol But he's having balance problems - he's getting up there. He's a great guy.

Everybody’s records is in a Cincinnati proper neighborhoodcalled Pleasant Ridge - I went to grade school at Nativity a few blocks away. I don’t get back there often, even when I’m in town.

Shake It Records in Northside also has a following.

I would call Mecklenberg and ask questions about shuttle timing and parking. My tolerance for the inner city is different than others here. I’ve taken my elderly dad there for dinner. UC has been expanding east past that area so it may have changed since I’ve last been there. If the area hasn’t been redeveloped, it’s going to be, and it’s literally just a few blocks from a mega hospital complex.

If you arrive in Clifton a couple hours before game time, I cannot imagine having significant traffic/parking issues. If you arrive at game time, you’re screwed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mad Cat and DANC

In my initial post, I described the gaslight area of Clifton as being south. It is north, past Burnet woods.

Last edited:
Reactions: 76-1 and DANC
Don’t for a second think I like it or that this makes me happy. I have to live among these Bearcat, OSU and UK jokers.

I’ve seen this movie way too many times, since the opening of Memorial Stadium. Way too many decades. The Song Remains the Same . . .

• Sad
Reactions: DANC
ADVERTISEMENT