ADVERTISEMENT

Chuck Strong

iubud

Hall of Famer
Aug 7, 2003
Pagano returning was a huge mistake. It reminds me of what would happen if Crean was still our coach. The same decisions in personnel and preparation that hasn't worked in the past would be repeated.

I'll throw up if Pagano says they will get better. They won't get better, but they won't get much worse either. We saw Tolzien was a failure in preseason. They cut the best QB, but that isn't much of a compliment. They suck on both sides of the ball and have even broken Vinatieri. We also saw those signs in preseason with missed extra points and field goals. They ignored those shortcomings as they have done with both lines for 3 years. The season was lost in January when Pagano was retained.

At least Glass and the trustees saw a problem and made the right decision. I am curious if Irsay's addled mind has realized his mistake. I feel bad for those that have season tickets.

Pagano returning was a huge mistake. It reminds me of what would happen if Crean was still our coach. The same decisions in personnel and preparation that hasn't worked in the past would be repeated.

I'll throw up if Pagano says they will get better. They won't get better, but they won't get much worse either. We saw Tolzien was a failure in preseason. They cut the best QB, but that isn't much of a compliment. They suck on both sides of the ball and have even broken Vinatieri. We also saw those signs in preseason with missed extra points and field goals. They ignored those shortcomings as they have done with both lines for 3 years. The season was lost in January when Pagano was retained.

At least Glass and the trustees saw a problem and made the right decision. I am curious if Irsay's addled mind has realized his mistake. I feel bad for those that have season tickets.

Sign Kaepernick. he won't solve all the problems but would at least be a capable QB. Colts are just a bad team all around and the coaching staff should be relieved of their duties. Pagano sucks and is one giant cliche.

Last edited:
Irsay is not memtally competent to run a franchise. He seems determined to tank the season and keeping Pagano is the best way to ensure that happens. Grigson and Pagano should both have been fired after the disastrous 2015 season. Instead they got lengthy contract extensions. Let his daughters run the franchise.

Reactions: MillerTime
Irsay is not memtally competent to run a franchise. He seems determined to tank the season and keeping Pagano is the best way to ensure that happens. Grigson and Pagano should both have been fired after the disastrous 2015 season. Instead they got lengthy contract extensions. Let his daughters run the franchise.
You realize Grigson got fired, right?

#Chuckgone

Keeping or firing Pagano would have no bearing on that butt whoopin Sunday. A different coach might not have let it get quite that bad but no Luck, Kelley, Mewhort, or Davis spells huge trouble for anyway. Mix in little pass rush and this will simply be a wasted season, which it would have been anyway.

Pagano won't last another year because the goal all along was to evaluate the players and start over next year after the D was already established some. They are still two years away from being much of anything. Fans just need to realize this and cheer accordingly.

A trustee saw IU's problem, not Glass. Most people with a connection to IU Athletics know at least some of what happened. And I'm no Colts fan, but until Irsay can be fired, there's no reason for Colts fans to care.

Last edited:
Sign Kaepernick. he won't solve all the problems but would at least be a capable QB. Colts are just a bad team all around and the coaching staff should be relieved of their duties. Pagano sucks and is one giant cliche.
They waited too late and now have Brissett. He did okay at NE when he had to play last year and the threw a strong pass yesterday. If they should release Tolzien once Brissett gets up to speed, I expect them to sign Morris back.. They could still sign an experienced QB like Kaepernick later in the season when the rest of their QBs have gotten hurt playing behind that terrible line

Someone will take Kaepernick although I think he would be happier playing in Canada.

The trustees approved the firing, it is unknown what they thought individually before it was done. Glass waited too long, but he finally pulled the trigger. Interesting that Dan Dakich was openly critical of firing both Crean and Wilson.

They waited too late and now have Brissett. He did okay at NE when he had to play last year and the threw a strong pass yesterday. If they should release Tolzien once Brissett gets up to speed, I expect them to sign Morris back.. They could still sign an experienced QB like Kaepernick later in the season when the rest of their QBs have gotten hurt playing behind that terrible line

Someone will take Kaepernick although I think he would be happier playing in Canada.
completely agree they should sign Morris and cut ties with Tolzien. That guy shouldn't see the field again while in Indy, unless of course disaster strikes and all other QB's get hurt. And the chances of that happening are not that remote lol

#Chuckgone

Keeping or firing Pagano would have no bearing on that butt whoopin Sunday. A different coach might not have let it get quite that bad but no Luck, Kelley, Mewhort, or Davis spells huge trouble for anyway. Mix in little pass rush and this will simply be a wasted season, which it would have been anyway.

Pagano won't last another year because the goal all along was to evaluate the players and start over next year after the D was already established some. They are still two years away from being much of anything. Fans just need to realize this and cheer accordingly.
What frustrates me is that it seems like Andrew Luck is being wasted because the organization can't protect him. Tom Brady had one bad injury in all his years. The Pats keep him upright. We can't seem to protect our quarterback who is in yr six. I think we should rest him for the rest of the season, tank it and get some high draft choices for next yr. This season is toast already in my mind.

What frustrates me is that it seems like Andrew Luck is being wasted because the organization can't protect him. Tom Brady had one bad injury in all his years. The Pats keep him upright. We can't seem to protect our quarterback who is in yr six. I think we should rest him for the rest of the season, tank it and get some high draft choices for next yr. This season is toast already in my mind.
He was for along time. The OL was never addressed by Grigson. Why he never addressed it I don't know, but he just didn't. I think the OL has made strides but when you play without Kelley or Mewhort, you are going to struggle big time regardless of who the QB is. When those two return, I'll bet the OL looks completely different.

As for Luck, the best thing the Colts can do, whether he's healthy or not, Is to let Tolzien/Brisset play until the OL is more stable. If Luck is ready by that point, then lets see what he can do. But no reason to play Luck now with the OL so patched worked.

Reactions: 76-1
#Chuckgone

I disagree. A new coach would have looked at that roster and honestly evaluated the talent and the coaches that allowed them to get worse, not better, in critical areas. This isn't college where improving the roster and recruiting takes more time. They could have made improvement this year on the O-line (or last year). They are worse and have been all preseason.

Another coach would have seen (like amateur coaches such as myself) that Tolzien can't be the backup knowing Luck was likely to miss several games. The head coach has to have input into whom the GM signs and they missed it completely, again. Pagano is the common link.

They weren't prepared to play at any phase of the game and that falls on the coach. Pagano will have started 0-2 for 3 years in a row after next week. He had all off season to get ready for a game against a poor team. He got his ass kicked. Bruce Arians will kick his ass next week in Indy.

I guess the Jets and niners are strong competitors for the top pick but would it be better to trade Luck for multiple picks and take Darnold or the other way around? Until yesterday I thought it was 2 way race for Darnold between SF and the Jets.

The trustees approved the firing, it is unknown what they thought individually before it was done. Glass waited too long, but he finally pulled the trigger. Interesting that Dan Dakich was openly critical of firing both Crean and Wilson.
I know one Trustee was a Crean fan and supported him publicly at an event in Evansville. This was despite saying, in front of Crean, how he yelled at the TV over substitutions. He gave facts and figures to justify his support. His facts weren't inaccurate, they were just not how most of us would use to predict future success.

At a football tailgate before the first basketball practice, he commented how awesome the season was going to be. As he told me, he is a long time fan and an alum.with more than a business interest in the program. Last season's failure would have been the last thing he would have found acceptable. All his stats didn't mean much anymore.

Reactions: zeke4ahs
I've been saying for years that Pags was the worst coach in the league and was mocked on the Colts forum. He's really that bad. Grigson was almost as bad but thankfully he's gone. Ballard seems to know what he's doing though. Hopefully we'll hire a competent coach, get a stud pass rusher, fix the OL and start fresh next season. I still believe Luck is as good as any QB in the league. I honestly think we win or play them close yesterday with Luck. That should tell you how valuable he is that he could potentially close a 40 pt gap.

I guess the Jets and niners are strong competitors for the top pick but would it be better to trade Luck for multiple picks and take Darnold or the other way around? Until yesterday I thought it was 2 way race for Darnold between SF and the Jets.
I like Luck, but what is the use of having a good QB if you don't have a line to keep him upright and allow him time to make plays? I would accept a solid, but not elite QB with an O-line that can pass and run block. If we could trade Luck to get that, then I would be okay with it. Pagano would have to go first. Maybe trade Gore for an experienced lineman and a draft pick?

Reactions: IU40IU
That's why you don't hire a Boiler to build your team. Irsay should've seen that coming a mile away. But those pills can make you do crazy things. We just set fire to 5 years of an MVP level QB's career.

That's why you don't hire a Boiler to build your team. Irsay should've seen that coming a mile away. But those pills can make you do crazy things. We just set fire to 5 years of an MVP level QB's career.

Lol. The Texans seem to be doing alright with a Boiler running things.

I like Luck, but what is the use of having a good QB if you don't have a line to keep him upright and allow him time to make plays? I would accept a solid, but not elite QB with an O-line that can pass and run block. If we could trade Luck to get that, then I would be okay with it. Pagano would have to go first. Maybe trade Gore for an experienced lineman and a draft pick?
Do you think the Colts could get that much for Gore at his age?

Yes, by Purdue standards.
Over 10 years:
Overall record a little over .500
Win 3 or 4 division titles.
4 playoff appearance, 3-4 record, always flame out early.
LOL!

Reactions: jet812
hOYyYsM.png

7a5.jpg

Reactions: jet812
Do you think the Colts could get that much for Gore at his age?
That's where I would start. It wouldn't be a first round pick, but there are players in later rounds that can help them. Getting a starting lineman would be a priority and any draft pick would be a plus.

Gore nets you a 4th or 5th rounder, or a backup O-lineman, on a good day for a team desperate for a RB. Certainly not both. There's not a lot of tread on the tires. It's just reality.

Reactions: IU40IU
That's where I would start. It wouldn't be a first round pick, but there are players in later rounds that can help them. Getting a starting lineman would be a priority and any draft pick would be a plus.
There is no way the Colts would get that for Frank Gore.

There is no way the Colts would get that for Frank Gore.
Then trade an old RB for an old lineman. I'd be happy with just that. I'd even trade Mack for a younger lineman. The point is, none of the backs and none of the QBs are going to be worth anything without an O-line. It should have been a priority in the past 2 off seasons.

While the Colts are at it, they need a new kicker. Vinatieri is broken.

Outside of Luck, who really has trade value? Hilton? Always thought he's best suited as a 2. Moncrief? Injured too much. This might sound crazy, but TE Swoopes might have the most value because of his upside

Outside of Luck, who really has trade value? Hilton? Always thought he's best suited as a 2. Moncrief? Injured too much. This might sound crazy, but TE Swoopes might have the most value because of his upside
It is a sad state they are in. Tolzien is Curtis Painter 2.0. Luck is useless if a crappy line gets him hurt every year. How much of the time has he played hurt and still carried the team? The answer to that question should have motivated someone to get him some protection. They haven't done their homework.

The Colts ownership is a joke. It is hard to support a team with an addled owner and similarly confused staff. The problem starts right there. Someone needs to push Irsay out of the way and make the needed changes. We would be doing Pagano a favor in firing him.

Reactions: MillerTime
It is a sad state they are in. Tolzien is Curtis Painter 2.0. Luck is useless if a crappy line gets him hurt every year. How much of the time has he played hurt and still carried the team? The answer to that question should have motivated someone to get him some protection. They haven't done their homework.

The Colts ownership is a joke. It is hard to support a team with an addled owner and similarly confused staff. The problem starts right there. Someone needs to push Irsay out of the way and make the needed changes. We would be doing Pagano a favor in firing him.
They need a President of Football Operations to set real policy for the organization and front office. Right now, between Irsay, Pagano, and Ballard, the leadership is completely disjointed. There is no way that Ballard wants Pagano running the team, no way. Chuck seems to be drifting right now, with no clear direction for the team. He is far and away the worst coach in the NFL with the worst coaching staff in the league. Irsay, for obvious reasons, doesn't want to tank and wants to field as close to a competitive team as they can, even though they need a real overhaul. A President would at least be a singular person that can set a course for the whole organization. I don't think Ballard is there yet. The real question is whether Irsay would be willing to cede that control to someone and whether Ballard would be willing to take something of a backseat in football leadership.

They need a President of Football Operations to set real policy for the organization and front office.
A President would at least be a singular person that can set a course for the whole organization.
Jeff Saturday
Irsay, for obvious reasons, doesn't want to tank and wants to field as close to a competitive team as they can, even though they need a real overhaul.
It seems to me that Irsay DOES want to tank. By my account, he's the one benching Luck.

Reactions: hookyIU1990
LOL, can't blame Luck for wanting out of that shithole of a franchise. His agent is saying the right things, so that he's not the next Paul George, but he'd be crazy to want to stay there.

Jeff Saturday
It seems to me that Irsay DOES want to tank. By my account, he's the one benching Luck.
Jeff Saturday or Peyton Manning would be the most obvious candidates. Saturday makes sense given his previous role with the players' association, etc. Manning makes sense given his stature in the league and in Indy. From what has been said on the radio shows, though, he would want a cut of ownership.

I can't imagine that Irsay wants to tank. It makes sense to hold Luck out until truly healthy, but Irsay has never struck me as the type of guy to truly tear the thing down, suck for a few years, and truly rebuild. Maybe I'm wrong.

LOL, can't blame Luck for wanting out of that shithole of a franchise. His agent is saying the right things, so that he's not the next Paul George, but he'd be crazy to want to stay there.
That's why I don't understand how upset people got at this leaking out. Andrew Luck is a potentially historically good football player that can't stay healthy because he has not been adequately protected by the organization. Why would he want to spend his prime in a rebuild? As much as franchise QBs are a rarity, I don't think it would be a bad idea to see what the Colts could get for Luck in a trade. There are just too many holes to fill from Grigson's complete inability to draft with any level of success.

For those saying that Irsay isn't willing to lose, have you read any of his statements?

“You guys know me,” he offered last spring, “I’d rather win two Lombardis and endure several losing seasons than have one Lombardi and be in the playoffs every single year. It’s about greatness. It’s about world championships.”

“You have to be willing to put up sometimes with having the patience to slow down and make sure we’re going to build this right,”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport.../jim-irsay-owner-whos-willing-lose/633884001/

He's been tempering expectations since he fired Grigson. He has zero issues losing now if he thinks it's setting the team up for sustained, future success.

For those saying that Irsay isn't willing to lose, have you read any of his statements?

“You guys know me,” he offered last spring, “I’d rather win two Lombardis and endure several losing seasons than have one Lombardi and be in the playoffs every single year. It’s about greatness. It’s about world championships.”

“You have to be willing to put up sometimes with having the patience to slow down and make sure we’re going to build this right,”

http://www.indystar.com/story/sport.../jim-irsay-owner-whos-willing-lose/633884001/

He's been tempering expectations since he fired Grigson. He has zero issues losing now if he thinks it's setting the team up for sustained, future success.
I agree that he has been going out of his way to temper expectations and soften the blow of what is coming this season, particularly after the hype machine getting out of control the past couple of seasons. I still do not agree that Irsay is "willing to lose", at least in the manner in which I am thinking. I am looking at it as far as a nearly complete teardown/rebuild of the roster over the course of a 2-4 year period. For an owner like Irsay, there is no way that he would be OK with that. It has been clear for a while that this roster is massively deficient in multiple ways, and the organization has attempted to rebuild on the fly. I get why they do that, because they are in a small market, with a historically fickle fanbase.

I just personally would like to see a complete overhaul, but I don't have any financial skin in the game, like Irsay or season ticket holders.

I have no doubt that Irsay wants the organization set up for sustained success, in a manner similar to the Patriots, Steelers, Packers, Seahawks, etc. I just don't know that this is the kind of overhaul that can be done on the fly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT